Print Page | Close Window

Southern Outdoor 2009/2010

Printed From: Hemp Flax Forum
Category: Sensi Seeds
Forum Name: Outdoor Grow Diaries
Forum Discription: For photos of your outdoor grow, from germination to harvest!
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6109
Printed Date: 14 December 2018 at 13:54

Topic: Southern Outdoor 2009/2010
Posted By: sarah louise
Subject: Southern Outdoor 2009/2010
Date Posted: 13 October 2009 at 03:28
Well spring is here and I have a few things on the go, too much to keep solely in memory.

The line up atm includes...

sensi skunk (8 clones, putting 2 into flower every few weeks to finish them off before we are too far into the new year)

skunk#1 fem (seedling, only the 1, lost 2 earlier to damping off. I'm hoping she'll taste better than the sensi above)

rud indica (f2, 4 female and 1 male, already flowering and tucked away in different places around the garden, 1/2 for seed)

PPP (5 seedlings, freebies so who knows what they are really, s'pose I'll find out)

Paul's sativa (6 seedlings, to go out up at the farm. local strain, similar to my triffids but a bit smaller and faster flowering. The last seed run with these was 2004 and the germ rate is down to about 50% so I've put out another 12 in anticipation of another seed run.

You might notice that Silver Pearl is not in the line up, unfortunately I didn't manage to get a single seed to germnate. Ah well, it was worth trying.

There is more activity in the veggie garden as well because I grow most of my annuals from seed. So far I have started...

tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions, carrots, parsley, basil, apple cucumber, Lebanese cucumber, zucchini, capsicum, Jerusalem artichoke.

sweet corn, pumpkin, watermelon, egg plant and chilli plants will need to wait until the nights are a little warmer.

Pics later, time for my nanna nap.

-------------
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...

Replies:
Posted By: munzy
Date Posted: 13 October 2009 at 10:39
sounds like a very nice medical/edible garden SL

-------------
ANDWHAT

Date Posted: 14 October 2009 at 05:38
Thanks Munzy, used to do a lot more on the farm but suburbia places limitations on the garden. There are a few perennial crops, strawberries, raspberries, black and red currants, lemons, asparagus, rubarb and a couple of globe artichoke which make a lovely privacy screen for a couple of revegging affies.

My lemon tree is a favorite, feeds me, the kids, neighbours and the local fish and chip shop.

For the first time in 7 seasons we are getting a 'regular' spring. Wet, stormy, windy, sunny... very unpredictable, but heck it's raining and a few more inches and we will be officially removed from the drought register for the first time in a decade!

It's a bit of a pain for me though, this morning I fed and watered everything, put my skunks out for a bit of sun and the next thing it was pissing down with rain and hail, soaking my just fed plants.

My rabbits weren't happy either, I'd also just put them out into their day pens to feed on the lawn. Well the bubs are back in with mum and dad is going to spend the rest of the day penned in the greenhouse.

Plants...

First up and not previously listed is the remains of my purple rud. I decided to plant the stump out in the garden to see if it would reveg in the lengthening days. It's still alive but not revegging the way the affies are.

Before harvesting for butter...

and afterwards...

Next up, a group shot from a couple of weeks back...

I usually separate the veggies from the ganj, but the other side of the greenhouse was being used for weanlings.

current seedlings pics from yesterday - sativas...

PPP and Skunk#1, skunk is in the coloured pot...

vegging sensi skunk clones...

And the ones that have already been flipped to flower. The black pots are 2 weeks in flower, the smaller red pots joined the group last night. Lousy weather yesterday meant they stayed inside... wasn't worth carrying them out and back again.

lastly, the seed run ruds, hiding out amongst ornamentals and as far away from the other plants as possible.

And just cause I love the little devils another bunny shot, 8 weeks old now and ready for sale. True breeding black minatures fetch $40 to $50 a piece around here.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 October 2009 at 23:05
very nice read SL sounds like a full time job

-------------
ANDWHAT

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 00:45
TY Munzy, since retiring the garden is where I spend the bulk of my time.

-------------

Posted By: bartmanuk
Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 00:49
wow, you are going to be busy this year sara %3coving%20it

am i right in thinking that the rud seed run will be producing f3's?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 03:01
Better busy than bored Bart. Especially at the moment, I don't need to have time to think about how much I miss smoking.

Yes you're right with the rud indicas, the seed will be the f3 generation.

Last night I gave away the last of my bud. It was a moment of insanity where I cracked on to the idea that a complete break would be good for me (lol). What can I say? I was stoned at the time and I am already regretting it. It wont be a cold turkey detox though, still have cookies I can use to finishing weaning off over the next couple of weeks.

The plan is not to buy any bud and not to cut the first skunk clone before November 28th. I'm hoping that putting it in print here will help keep me honest.

Wish me luck?

sara %3cot%20smoki%3cg

-------------

Posted By: Rastakolnikov
Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 09:30
good luck sara,
ur stronger willed than i am :)

-------------
Champagne for my real friends.
Real pain for my sham friends.

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 09:32
best of luck sarah louise with the no smoking i try and fail quite often i even got myself a "vapir2" which is really unsatisfying £300i used it a couple of times and broke it so straight back to smoking. need a way to ghet an instant hit without the smoke ???????????

-------------
ANDWHAT

Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 12:04
Beautiful garden and inhabitants, Sarah Lou. Looks like a lovely place to spend a lot of your free time. Am I right in thinking you've got somewhat more than the the standard 1/4 acre block?

Winter's bearing down on us here in Dam, and spring/summer in the Southern hemisphere is looking so inviting. Not sure whether I'll be able to make it. Friends just left for NZ (where I've never been) and I'm a little jealous. Winter in Holland has lost its novelty for me.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 22:13

i know what you mean sara, i too prefer busy, bored takes to long, lol.

so how many generations do you think you will go to with them?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 00:49
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Day 18 of no tobacco dawned with bunnies all over the place. The little buggers found a way out of the pen, 2 have been captured and 2 are still hiding out in the greenhouse. Given a choice between ganja and lawn the bunnies pick lawn every time, no worries about them eating my plants.

Munzy, the last time I stopped smoking I stayed clean for 18 months. That was about 14 years ago and I haven't seriously tried again until now.

I do have a large block, Ganja, in comparison with my neighbours. Maybe a mite larger than a 1/4 acre, but not by much, I just pack a lot into the space.

And Barty, I don't know how long I'll keep the ri going, it will depend on the flowering results.

No real changes in the canna garden apart from the plants n flower. The last 2 that went into flower are stretching quite noticably. In the past I have topped the plants a few weeks before flowering and spread across a few branches stretch wasn't so marked. This time, because the clones were fairly small, I've left the meristem intact and the difference is quite dramatic, an inch a day at least.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 10:58
This afternoon I moved the sativa seedlings into individual pots and buried them a little more deeply in the soil and gave the PPP and skunk#1 their first taste of nutrient water (very weak, approx 0.3ml/L).

It's amazing how cheap vegetables are here atm. 2 kg of carrots, 2 kg of apples, 2kg of sweet potatoes and a huge cabbage set me back a whole $5.75 (3.20 GBP).

Bunny smorgasbord.

That's not all the critters though, I have chickens as well. They are still a bit shabby looking after moultingbut giving me 2-3 eggs a day.

Now there was something else, the ri seed plants are starting to display my favorite colour - purple. Had a couple of lower than usual over night temps, around 3'C.

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 12:28
Well bit pissed off, still don't seem to have the timing right and my 'vegging' skunk clones have started to flower. I potted them up 3 days ago and they looked a little suss, today it was obvious.

The 4 smallest hit the compost, it will take less nutes to grow new clones rather than wait for these to reveg. The 2 largest had been topped earlier and don't look to be as advanced so they've had a heavy prune, hopefully after the shock wears off they'll go back to vegging.

It seems a bit weird that the potted ones have begun to flower but the ones planted out in the garden are vegging. Oh well, that lightens the schedule a bit for the busy December/new year period.

The four that are supposed to be flowering are doing fine... fed today 2.5ml/L canna coco a+b and 1.5ml/L seaweed/molasses.

Seedlings all look fine, fed 1ml/L a+b, 0.5ml/L seaweed/molasses. Second tray of sativas are up, again around 50%.

The ri(f2) got fed the same as the flowering skunks. Snails are giving them a bit of a hard time, but this time my male is producing plenty of pollen.

On a brighter note, I picked my first strawberry of the season today.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 04:16
Tried to get a few pics today and the batteries gave out after about 3 minutes...

The earliest of the skunk clones to go into flower (now labeled A and B for convenience) at 20 days flowering... A went into flower at 15 cm, now 31cm, B started at 13 cm, now at 27cm.

this%20is%20A%20not%20B,%20file%20names%20are%20wrong.

With the warmer days these 2 are enjoying daily feeding.

More once the batteries are recharged.

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 05:51
okies, the flowering skunks (A through D)

the seedlings, PPP and Skunk#1 rehoused in white pots other are all sativas.

Seeing as the extra skunk clones have gone there's enough room for the ruds in the greenhouse. Strange looking beasties, pictured with the topped skunks (E and F), I cut the male rud this am, they've have plenty of pollen.

And the last of the skunk clones, planted in the garden... still vegging? Well, not obviously flowering anyway.

And because I am a sucker for this plant, a cutting from Eloise the affie. There are a couple more of these in different spots testing whether the sites get enough light to produc buds.

Suppose I should go and check whether the stumps from winter are revegging (rif2 and affie x  ri).

later maybe,

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2009 at 09:13
Nothing interesting, just a note to self -

Daylight table I was using wasn't accurate, day is only 14h,10m now, so the flowering skunks are no mystery.

I know they veg at 14,45 and they began to flower last year at 14,20 (when dropped from 24/0) and were revegging last spring by 14,38. This spring they dropped from 14.45 to 13.50 and showed flowering growth within 15 days (@14 hrs even). Need to get the scope out and check the one in the garden.

Yep, flowering just behind the potted clones. I'll leave that one to get a clearer idea on when the spring flowering period finishes for the strain.

Checked the ri(f2) and affie x ri for signs of reveg... no signs of any growth on the ri(f2) stump and the affie x r1 is continuing to produce pistils and foliage associated with flowering.

Straight affies (2 clones and one reveg) all appear to be vegging.

-------------

Posted By: ASDER
Date Posted: 25 October 2009 at 03:25

Hi all Asder  here

havn't been around for a while - had to give up growing due to the fact i have made the big move to the southern hemisphere.am here just over a month and had to give up the smoke as i dont know anyone here and cant get my hands on any, even though im sure there is plenty around.

just stumbled on this post as maybe im thinking of starting an outdoor grow and as ive never done an OG before would love any suggestions or tips on when is a good time to start? where to get seeds etc... Any help appreciated

Asder%3ceed%20leaf%3ceed%20leaf%3ceed%20leaf

-------------
Live and Learn!

Date Posted: 25 October 2009 at 05:27
Apart from the top end, the time to start is now. 

-------------

Posted By: breizh ganja
Date Posted: 25 October 2009 at 09:40
good garden SL .nature life as possible is THE life.! its near less than 10 degrees here! and my chickens had the "ass" frozen!: only one egg per days now(4chickens).hahah lol
take care of the PPP!!

Date Posted: 27 October 2009 at 09:08
Thinking about giving this lark away completely, house got robbed on Sunday night. I lost some small electricals, antiques and my HPS, the flowering skunks and rud indicas.

Seedlings are with a friend, moved them off so the police could poke around without finding any ganj. The only consolation is that it was a professional group of thieves, so no mindless damage and no took a dump in the sink. Cops said I was one of 6 robberies by the same mob over the weekend.

It still sucks.

-------------

Posted By: Smot_Poker
Date Posted: 27 October 2009 at 10:40
Sorry to hear that Sarah Louise.

-------------
Confidence - The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 00:44
Thanks Smot.

Checked the prices of ganj locally... lol doesn't look like I will be breaking my no buy rule anytime soon - best I could find was $320 for a half bag of under done, damp skunk. That really sucks.

I'll go visit my seedlings tonight, cross my fingers and hope they aren't dead.

-------------

Posted By: GuerillosGustoGrower
Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 01:52
%3cryDamn, that really makes me sad!%3cry

Broken%20HeartI'm so sorry for you Sarah Louise, i wish that there were something i could do to help! Where do you live? may i suggest that you move to Denmark, i dont even lock my door! Damn i wish i could give them some black eyes for you!%3cuch

%3cing%20%3cangWish you all the best in the future, i'm sure that you will bounce back, think positive!%3chumbs%20Up

%3ceartSending you lots of love and positive vibrations!%3clown

Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 04:56
When you say $320 for 1/2 a bag I hope you don't mean 1/2 an oz, up this way it's between $200 - $300 an oz depending on the quality which at best is poor. I hope you still got something other than those few seedling to start back up again. It's a shame your so far south otherwise I'd throw you some buds to help see you through.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 10:13
mate that sucks i feel for you sarahlouise but " NIL ILLIGITEMI CARBOURONDUM" and you got skills so dont give up%3chumbs%20Up

-------------
ANDWHAT

Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 11:29
Thanks guys. Yep Smot that's right, $320 for a half oz (more like 12 grams once it has finished drying) and it's pretty mediocre smoke. The town goes dry every year, but we don't usually see these sort of prices until closer to xmas. On a better note I know someone who will be harvesting in a couple of weeks so I wont have to wait until autumn for a smoke.

The PPP and Skunk#1 seedlings are still going ok, the sativas look a bit over watered but not too bad and they'll be going up to the farm in a couple of weeks. Apart from the seedlings there are 3 skunk clones, that will begin to reveg in the coming weeks, 2 in pots and 1 in the ground and 3 small affies all in the ground. One of which looks good and 2 that look crap because of the shade, might move them to sunnier spots.

-------------

Posted By: sneeuw
Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 17:31
damn sarah... thats some bad news, go buy yourself a BIG angry dog, they won't even try and cross your garden again... try and start over again and lets hope it doesn't happen again! like munzy said you really have the skills would be a shame to not use them any longer..

best of luck, sneeuw!

Date Posted: 29 October 2009 at 01:32
Thanks Sneeuw, I already have a couple of small hunting dogs that are very territorial. They weren't home, the person I was visiting loves the dogs so they came with me. The cat was home but all he'd do is meow and rub up against their legs.

Now the shock is wearing off, I can't really see myself not having any ganj plants growing. It wouldn't be a waste of 'skills' though, I'll always grow my fruit and veg.

It's probably the most rewarding crop to harvest. %3coving%20it

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2009 at 05:58
Borrowed a car this morning and brought my seedlings home, bit hard to do it discreetly if I am on foot. They have been out of my care for 7 days and they seem to have survived reasonably well.

The older 6 sativas look much better (earlier they looked over watered and hungry) I think that means my sitter did what I asked and gave them coco A+B @1.5ml/L once they had dried out a bit. The younger 5 seedlings look fine but will need to come out of the punnet and go into pots pretty soon.

The skunk#1 and the PPP (in coco/perlite) have grown a lot and are much larger than the soil grown sativas. Skunk #1 is a little behind the PPP, not by much though. Considering the rising temps and falling humidity I expect to pot the PPP on into larger pots in the next few days (substrate is getting too hot for comfortable roots). They all have a nice web of roots across the bottom of their current pots, no way near root bound, but enough roots that I don't think potting them up will have a detrimental effect.

Pics when the light is a little kinder, I better go see what pots I can round up for sterilising and *painting.

*After testing substrate temperatures in differently coloured pots, I now paint the outside of all pots white for summer growing. %3chumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2009 at 06:36
Good to see your still at it. Had been meaning to ask why some of the pots in the pics were painted white, assumed it was a soil temp thing, is that why you have black milk bottles around the pots in some pics to attract the heat and keep the roots warm during the colder periods ?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2009 at 14:44
You assumed right Smot, it is a soil temp thing, or it was (don't use much soil now) and the black milk bottles are water filled to hold as much heat as possible. In winter here the soil temp drops to around 7-8C, with the water bottles and raising the pots up off the ground, container soils maintained a surviable 13-15C. whereas painting a black pot white dramatically reduces the substrate temperature if the pot is exposed to the sun. The difference isn't as dramatic if the pot sits in the shade.

Too hot this evening to pot up plants, things should cool off a bit by Tuesday. So I'll leave it until then or maybe not, I might get up early one morning and then again, I might not.

ambivalently yours,

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by sarah louise

Thinking about giving this lark away completely, house got robbed on Sunday night. I lost some small electricals, antiques and my HPS, the flowering skunks and rud indicas.

Seedlings are with a friend, moved them off so the police could poke around without finding any ganj. The only consolation is that it was a professional group of thieves, so no mindless damage and no took a dump in the sink. Cops said I was one of 6 robberies by the same mob over the weekend.

It still sucks.

i feel for you sara, %3cngry it makes me so angry, one of the worst, thieves.
these scumbags need finding and sorting, do you think you were targeted for you growing? i know you said a few people got done the same night. but it would always make me suspicious losing grow equipment and plants.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2009 at 02:39
Thanks Bartman, yeah there were a few over the same weekend. I can't quarentee that it wasn't the ganj they were after, but with the stuff missing from the house, I think the plants and light were found on the day.

If I get knocked off again come autumn, then yeah it's the plants and growing at home is finished. Until then, there are no more outings for the dogs. The barkers will be in the backyard until winter comes around I'm seriously considering setting up a tent by the lemon tree and sleeping out myself.

It's bloody hot already and it's really pissing me off. <<< I expect that's nicotine withdrawal (34 days), it's only 33C... hot the first time it hits in the season, but hardly "bloody hot" by any means.

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 05 November 2009 at 09:57
It cooled down for a few days and I have got everything potted up again in time for the next warm spell. Four of the PPP are in 9L pots, the other one and the Skunk#1 are in slightly smaller pots (approx 6L), fed yesterday 2.5ml/L coco A + B and 1ml/L seaweed and molasses.

The two groups of sativas are in 1-1.5L pots of soil, watered in with seaweed and molasses. They need to start on fish emulsion with their next watering. They were looking a bit better this morning but I sat their trays on the ground without a net cover and one of my pigeons has attacked them. Two, of the younger five, were chewed off at the cotelydons and one, of the older six, has had a few leaves pulled off. I expect the older one will survive, but the younger two are history.

Usually I would be pissing them off to the farm by now, but they are much too small still and will probably be here until the end of the month.

So to cheer myself up I planted another 12 seeds... I think they are triffids, but I'm not 100% sure because the bag wasn't labeled, but triffids are the only seed I recall bagging in this fashion.

38 days with out fags... no finger nails left to chew.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:22
Wow, congratulations, Sarah! Keep it up, and much power to you.

I find the brown weed the hardest thing to give up, no contest. I can even take a break from my beloved cannabis for a week or a month if circumstances dictate. But the thought of shuffling into work on a morning like this (pissing down, grey as a gravestone) without a coffin nail to go with my coffee... difficult. And I don't even like the bastards that much...

Damn, I just went back and read the previous page. I missed your robbery report, Sarah. Really sorry to hear. Damn scumbags. The only thing worse than coming home to a robbed house is doing the same thing when you're a cannabis aficionado/grower. Even if the bastards don't rip you off, it's tough to decide whether to continue, or whether to pack everything up just to be on the safe side. Hard to call the cops too.

I hope you can get everything back on an even keel, with minimal disruption.

Theft is particularly big in Dam, but one thing that seem to be very rare in the centre is burglary. It's because the place is so overcrowded and everyone lives, quite literally, on top of each other. Most apartments have a street door, used by 2-3 apartments, then their own door. A burgular would have to break in the street entrance while not being spotted by any of the neighbours the row of 3-storey apartments on the opposite side of the street, then break the inner door, hoping that no-one was home in the apartments above and below. Then they'd have to go back out the front door with the stuff they'd stolen, back into the narrow streets with hundreds of windows facing them.

Also, I guess the Dam junkies have a regular supply of fresh-faced tourists to sponge off/rip off, so their subsistence resources are comparatively high.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!

Date Posted: 05 November 2009 at 13:00
Ta Ganja, yeah things are a bit grim here, but I'll continue. If they make a return visit and rip my plants then I'll give it away for good. For now I'm trying to limit my potential losses, so I'll run with the plants I have but I wont be buying anymore seed or equipment until after the end of the outdoor season.

I've also found the brown weed much harder to kick than the green, but I'm starting to feel like I am getting there. This going without both really sucks arse though and I am hanging out for the dodgy brothers to pull in their next harvest. I really hope they leave it to dry slowly, but I expect they'll rush it as usual because the cupboard is bare.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 November 2009 at 07:23
just a few pics of what's left of the gang...

skunk#1

PPP

the sativa seedlings

A couple of Sensi skunk stumps, still waiting on signs of revegging. Should be soon, today has us at 14hrs and 42 min... only 3 mins shorter than the light cycle i had them on before they came out to the greenhouse.

Strawberries seem to be kicking on at least...

And finally, something for Ganja to help warm those dreary grey days in Amsterdam... this is where the sativas will go if they ever get big enough.

that's all folks,

sara %3c3ceed%3c20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 07 November 2009 at 12:23
grat landscape sarah and sorry for your troubles!
and news about your SILVER PEARL?
i see a grat saison for compensation

Date Posted: 07 November 2009 at 12:46
Hi BG, nice to see you about. Sadly I didn't get anything out of the pack SP %3cuch you might of missed that, but I did mention it in the first post of this thread.

I hope the season goes better than it started as it hasn't started out very well.

The bloody chickens escaped today and dug up the small clones I had planted in the garden. Two of the affies were not completely dried out so I replanted them into small pots of coco, treated them with seaweed and vitamin b, and stuck them in a propagating box under flouros.

They have perked up a bit, so maybe they wont die on me. It would be sad to last the clones from Eloise the Affie through chicken attack.

Hope you and your family are well,

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 08 November 2009 at 00:21
Rescued affies appear to have survived (one looks better than the other), took the top off the prop box, waited a couple of hours to see if they wilted, no wilting, so I've set up a small circulation fan.

Outside it is already getting hot, 28C at 10 am and the main fan in the greenhouse has died. It's too be expected though the fan was ancient when I first put it in, unfortunately I can't get another one until Thursday so I'm juggling stuff around to keep them cool.

Top temps from today and into next week =  31, 32, 34, 34, 36, 34, 37C... with UV peaking in the 'extreme' range. Definitely slip, slop, slap and wrap time.

PPP are big enough to lose their crowns for clones, might as well do them now seeing as I have lighting on for the rescues... well that's th plan anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 November 2009 at 09:31
Slightly better pic of the seedlings, sans glare. Skunk#1 is far right, front. Seaweed tonic tonight and cuttings from the PPP early tomorrow morning.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2009 at 01:26
Holding off on cutting clones... was going to cut to determine the gender of the PPP. LOL don't need to now a closeup inspection this morning revealed pre-flowers on 3 out of 5, 1 suspect male, 2 with definite pistils and 2 still to show. 

I may take cuts from the 2 females so I can flower the seed plants early, got a few hours to think about it, wont be cool enough to take cuttings for another 8 - 10hours.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2009 at 11:28
Might as well take 6 cuttings as take 2, I'm bored inside and the heat is supposed to last all week.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2009 at 13:04
Cheers for the panorama shot, Sarah! %3cool

-------------

Date Posted: 10 November 2009 at 09:59
No worries Ganja, thought you might enjoy a little sunshine. the last of the snow will have melted by now as the weather has been living up to and surpassing the forecasts.

I have some new babies, just hatched today... Aren't they ugly lil' fukkers?

And the suspected triffids have hatched as well. I brought them inside yesterday because one of the punnets was bone dry from the heat. That on has 2 seedlings up, the other is pictured with 6 for 6.

Fed the PPP and SK#1 today, the usual. ATM they are getting fed every second day with a top up of plain water in between to make up for high evaporation rates. Relative humidity is down to 23% and without rain that wont change.

They look a little weird without their crowns, skunk#1 is front and centre, to her left is my current favorite PPP, female and the fastest secondary growth...

The rescued affies are beginning to develop new growth, amazing how close these things can get to dead and still bounce back.

The p.sativa seedlings have left the premises after a bit of bullshit with my co-grower, definitely the last time I will be doing this for him. He was pissy when he arrived because he had to come pick them up himself and then began whingeing because they weren't fems and they weren't as big as my other seedlings. Lazy, cheap arse prick, that he is, he's never prepared to put cash up to buy decent seed and be stuffed if I'm giving him anything that is imported.

Well that feels better, I've had me bitch for the day.

Six weeks today without cigarettes, think I deserve a beer.

sara %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 12:05
Short note, PPP - 2 female, 2 male, 1 still undecided. Decided not to keep either of the males, with temps sitting 9.5C above average for this time of year, it is too bloody hard to keep extras in healthy condition.

Someone want to tell me again how global warming is just a left wing conspiracy and the hole in the ozone layer is insignificant? Come down here and feel the burn.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 November 2009 at 08:30
Another short note to self as it were. Final count, PPP two female and 3 male. Out of the first 6 clones (one from each ppp and the skunk#1 ), 3 rooted and 3 went mushy. The survivors are the skunk#1, and 1 ppp female and 1 ppp male (may keep, may not the male).

From the two female ppp seed plants I have taken another 6 cuttings each, currently at day 4. All still looking good. Tossed out the rest of the coco I had mixed up and went back to peat pucks for this run of cuttings. PPP Seed plants were potted up into 35 L tubs to help stabilise the temperature of the larger root systems the plants have now. Also looking good.

One of the sensi skunk stumps is revegging, the other went yellow and died, should have a few fresh clones off that one in a few weeks.

Skunk #1 fem (seed plant) is ready to be potted up out of the 6 L pot, but I don't have another big tub empty so she might go into a 9 L pot for a few weeks until I'm finished with getting clones off the revegging sensi skunk.

The rescued affies are still recovering and the triffid seedlings (9 in total) are individually potted and at 2 nodes, nice dark green but no burn from the soil mix.

I'll probably only keep 1 or 2 of the triffids eventually, safe garden space is tight and indoors is for vegging skunks and PPP.

Spent last night up at the farm watching the leonid meteor shower and smoke some old fashioned haze... pretty cool night, groovy sky.

Pics when I have batteries.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 November 2009 at 22:08
that does sound like a cool night sara, i hope the old fashioned haze stayed baccy free %3cink

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 19 November 2009 at 02:21
The haze most certainly did stay baccy free Bart. Not about to give in now, few more day and I've got 2 months solid of no baccy. %3chumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:41

Skunk #1 fem (seed plant) is ready to be potted up out of the 6 L pot, but I don't have another big tub empty so she might go into a 9 L pot for a few weeks...

Ouch... accident potting her on, lost my grip and half dropped her when I was sliding off the old pot. I did some root damage, she's looking very droopy.

Last few days have been hotter - 36, 35, 30, 34, 40 and another 40'C prediction for tomorrow... not good recuperating weather for my Skunk#1, might have to bring her inside during the heat of the day. After that we are supposed to get rain and top temps back down in the 20's.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2009 at 11:11
^^ She's ok, recovered from the drop next morning so no real damage, took 8 cuttings off today.

Temperature has dropped 20C lol, from 40C one day to 20C the next. The rain was lovely but the 98% RH means I am still sitting in front of a fan.

I passed on the rescued Affies and the PPP male clone to a friend who hasn't grown before. She wants to grow indoors and I thought these would give her something to practice with until the weather is ok for a noob indoor grow.

Managed to take some really bad photos today... so bad I went back and tried 3 times, then I realised I had missed my meds so it was no wonder I couldn't hold the camera steady.

The suspected triffid seedlings look good... not very triffid like though, either I have a tray of all affie leaning triffids or I have a tray of unknown seedlings. Lol If they aren't triffids I have no idea what they are.

A shot of the 3 seed plants, PPP's at the back and the heavily pruned Skunk#1 in front.

Mr. B, my buck rabbit is camping in the greenhouse tonight, his regular pen is still being used by young ones.

And finally a shot of the 2 female clones from the first run, PPP1 at rear, skunk#1 to front.

addit - the clone factory... how's that for a pro set up :p

PPP, potting up in a couple of days ime.

Skunk #1

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2009 at 12:20
nice uniformed clones sarahlouise i struggle to keep mine the same size lol i need more practice%3cig%3c

-------------
ANDWHAT

Date Posted: 21 November 2009 at 13:31
Cheers Munzy, I'm a bit funny about uniformity... it doesn't make them grow any better though.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 December 2009 at 00:08
About done with cloning for a while, each of the seed plants has donated another box of cuttings which are soon to be potted up and pissed off. About 7 - 8 weeks to go before indica doms generally start flowering, so I'll give them some peace to veg up before flowering begins.

I went away for a few days and dropped off ?triffid? seedlings at various locations around country NSW, kept back a few of the smaller ones for planting out in the veggies...

Apart from that it's just feed, water and wait now until flowering starts. I was going to force a few into an early start but I am trying to reorganise space inside so it isn't convenient atm.

Group shot of what's left of the seed plants and their cuttings, Skunk#1 is on the left, tied down flat -

In other news from the garden, the raspberries are fruiting and I have picked the first of the season's tomatoes and zucchinis %3chumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 December 2009 at 04:17
Strawberries were a bit of a fizzer this year, the bed dries out to quickly. Must remember to move them to a better location come autumn.

Been cleaning up the 'sewing' room and have enough space now to flower a few PPP clones... in the pic they are in the green trays (day 3 today). Apart from some potting up, not much happening been laid up a bit with gout (of all bloody things).

Current family portrait...

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2009 at 06:26
Slept in this morning, the plants were in the dark or a few hours longer than usual and when I opened up the wardrobe I found every one of them was leaning to face east. Phototropism doesn't lie, I have a light leak. What a waste of time and energy lugging pots in and out.

Think I'll split up the trays into individual pots and just let them all do it with natural conditions. CBF stuffing around with the wardrobe anymore.

I'll bring my small skunk#1 clones in for extra light instead and push their growth along.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2009 at 12:36
thats a pain in the arse sara %3cuch all that work for naff all, i feel for you, your not having much luck at the moment with this and the theiving scumbags the other week.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2009 at 13:42
Yeah it is Barty. At least it was only a few days in, I'd hate to having putting them inside for weeks before realising. So rather than stuff around with the wardrobe any further I'll attack the window where the light is coming from in the morning, but it wont be until well into the NY before I can afford to do anything there.

For now everything is out in the greenhouse... and looking fine. We are having wonderful weather for the moment and new growth is noticeable daily. A final trim on the PPP seed plants, they each had 8 top shoots and were quite crowded, so I've thinned them back to the 4 strongest on each plant, giving them both 4 top shoots and 4 lower shoots, all nicely spaced.

Still tying down the Skunk#1 and keeping her growth horizontal. Her branches have now reached the outer rim of tub, so it's time to allow her to gain height. The shop has sold out of the big square tubs I prefer so I need to think of something else for my larger pair of clones... and fairly soon. I've got some 12 litre pots that mght do the trick and then I need to find pots for the ones currently sitting in the trays.

And buy heaps more coco and perlite. I've actually got a few potted into straight coco because I ran out of perlite... they don't appear to have minded the change at all... so I might not get the perlite.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2009 at 22:24

And buy heaps more coco and perlite. I've actually got a few potted into straight coco because I ran out of perlite... they don't appear to have minded the change at all... so I might not get the perlite.
[/QUOTE] i use coco only nothing else added seems to work ok for me%3cig%3c love your garden and im jealous of your climate %3cool

-------------
ANDWHAT

Date Posted: 13 December 2009 at 01:06
Hey Munzy, nice to see you. Yeah it is a blessed climate for growing sativas and fine for indicas... so long as I start from seed in the spring. A bit tricky getting the timing right with clones with the short spring/summer days, but I think I've got that pinned for next spring.

Most of my growing experience is with sativas grown directly in the ground and that is still my preferred method. But I don't have the access to land that I once had which is why I've moved to potted indica doms, under the cover of the greenhouse.

As finances allow, I'm slowly turning the sewing room into a full time growing room and hope to have it up and running by winter. It wont be anywhere as grand as your set up, but with any luck it will meet my needs (fingers crossed).

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2009 at 06:10
Temp testing the 'sewing room' today. The room gets sun on one wall from dawn until noon, that's why the room started at 28C.

1pm
outside         31.5C
sewing room  28C (aircon off)
living areas    26C (aircon on)

1.30pm
OS  32C
SW 26C (aircon on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

2.00pm
OS  31.5C
SW 23C (aircon on)
LA 26C (aircon on)

2.30pm
OS  31.5C
SW 25C (aircon on, HPS on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

3.00pm
OS  31C
SW 26C (aircon on, HPS on)
LA  26C (aircon on)
# thermostat didn't kick in, open 2nd extraction)

3.30pm
OS  30C
SW 24C (aircon on, HPS on, 2nd extraction on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

4.00pm
OS  31C
SW 24C (aircon on, HPS on, 2nd extraction on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

note - thermostat turns refrigeration off when temp drops below 24C, happening for 5 mins at least once every 30mins apart from #.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2009 at 06:36
4.30pm
OS  31C
SW 26C (everything on)
LA 26C (aircon on)

5.00pm
OS  32C
SW  27C(everything on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

#thermostat didn't kick temps stayed above 23.5C

5.30pm
OS  31C
SW 27C (everything on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

6.00pm
OS  31C
SW 27C (everything on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

6.30pm
OS  32C
SW 27C (everything on)
LA  26C (aircon on)

7pm
OS 31.5C
SR  24C (everything on)
LA  25C (aircon on)

7.30pm
OS 31C
SR 26C (everything on)
LA 25C (aircon on)

8.00pm
OS 29.5C
SR 26C (everything on)
LA 25C (aircon on)

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 08:52
Getting hot again, 38C outside... hope it cools tonight as I have been bringing some clones in to push growth along since temp testing. I traded a couple of boxes of clones from another lowbay housing and ballast, I promised not to get another one of these because of the built in ballast but it cost next to nothing and this one does seem a little cooler than the last.

Notes to self -  potted up clones I selected as potential mothers from the 2 PPP seed plants. Now in 5 litres of coco each, watered in with a little root stim and seaweed. Still have 5 skunk#1 clones to choose a mother from, all getting extra light in the evenings.

Organised a clones for bud swap (woohoo), so that solves the problem of the PPP clones in trays and the no bud issue.

Seed plants are all pushing a long, the still look a little thin from pruning but gaining height nicely. Noticed some spidermite damage on the skunk #1 so all have been treated and will be treated again on the weekend.

80 days without a cigarette and I'm still alive, dropped from 4mg nicotine tabs to 1.5mg... cravings were dreadful and my mood plunged. Back to the 4mg tabs and back to a more even keel, it will do for the time being. I'll try to drop the nicotine dose down again once I sort some bud, fingers crossed I don't get let down Saturday.

Nearly 7pm, time to flick the aircon and light on in the sewing room and bring in the plants.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 14:36
Family photo, backlighting's a bitch so this is the best of a bad bunch...

Seed plants in the large tubs (skunk to front), older skunk clone in large white pot, vegging samples of each seed plant in medium sided white pots, and younger skunk clones in the small white pots.

Notes so I don't forget - Younger skunk clones donated 8 cuttings on the evening of the 18th and continue to go under hps on timer, 7pm to 12mn and on again at 6am until I get up and take them out to the greenhouse for the day. Got the elec bill for the last quarter and it's not as much as I anticipated, so long as I can keep the temps ok I'll keep bringing them in... until jan 20th anyway.

Jan 20th is about when I need to be bringing the vegging samples to make sure they don't begin to flower (15 hrs and a few minutes). And I must remember there will also be what ever clones I keep out of the 8, that are currently in the propagator.

So there's really no space inside until about April...  I'll hold off on cluttering up the place with more PPP clones, at least until I've actually finished flowering the seed plants. Atm, both seed plants are easy to clone, P2 is the more vigorous grower, but P1 isn't far behind. Weighted down the branches after the pic and spread them out, otherwise I will run out of head room.

Spider mites - no further signs, treated again yesterday with miticide. Time to swap over to eco oil too.

Nutrients - All fed 1/2 usual volume of plain water today as a top up. Light feed for the white pots possibly tomorrow night.

I think that's all I had to remember, I hope so.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2009 at 21:50
hi sara ! continue your australian journal.we drink your text.

Date Posted: 22 December 2009 at 03:54
Hi BG, glad my ramblings are keeping you entertained.

Unlike most of the last 10 seasons, we have more rain predicted this week (woohoo). A couple of hot days first, but then good potential for rain Thursday through Sunday.

It will be too wet to mow the grassy areas on the 25th and stinking hot until then... and probably to late by the time it's dry enough afterward... that means I'll have to push the mower around the grassy bits tonight or face a jungle in 5 days time.

-------------

Posted By: Rollo Tomasi
Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 00:13
Nice chronicles you have going Sarah, I\'m enjoying. Wow, looking at your seven day forecast I couldnt help but notice the extreme temp. and humidity highs and lows in a day you have this time of year in your climate. Must make things interesting no doubt.

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 05:56
Thanks Zmokedawg, I'll get a few more pics up of how things are managing in the heat.

Yep this is the best weather of the year (late spring/early summer). The nights are nice an warm, the days are cloudless and warm to hot, building up to a couple of decently hot days (38C) and then a storm, rain and a cool down, back to 26C and the cycle starts over. Everything grows like mad and the animals all hide in shady corners.

The rain every so often has kept a bit of moisture in the soil so the days begin cool, with a dew on the grass but the dry winds (north and west) and the clear blue skies suck the moisture out of everything. The night time temps drop away because, unless we're building up to rain, there is no cloud cover at all.

We have passed the Solstice now so summer proper can start, and so can the count down to Valentine's Day and the beginning of the flowering season.

edit - 4.20pm  37C outside (13%RH) greenhouse, with 2 fans pushing air through... 36C (40%RH). It feels hot outside, but sweltering in the greenhouse, surface coco still feels cool to the touch, even in pots in direct sun.

My one large skunk clone (10L pail) is drinking down 2 litres of water/nutes everyday. Nearly time for another pot up... the bloody shop has run out of my favorite square tubs, so I am going to have to repot an indoor arrangement and steal the big square tub for greenhouse ganja.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 08:22

(13%RH) greenhouse, with 2 fans pushing air through... .

Wow, thats extremely dry. Do your plants stress any due to this? Or do these dry spells occur only part of the day?

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 08:50
So long as the plants are in either a large enough pot (like my 35 litre square tubs) they'll manage fine in soil or coco/perlite. In smaller pots coco has it all over soil, stays cooler and carries more air when wet, and can't easily be over watered. Granted you have to water daily still in the smaller pots.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 December 2009 at 14:08
This is why I keep a log... now how old are these clones? looking a bit shabby... but I'm sure I should be able to have the humidity dome off for a bit by now?

Yep, seven days old already, definitely time to start hardening them off.

more notes before the noodle looses them - potted up four small skunk clones from 1.5 to 2.5 litres of mainly coco. Kicking myself that I didn't check the roots before this last hot spell, probably should have potted up 3-4 days ago, the roots against the pot have got a bit hot during the last couple of days and begun to brown. look ok otherwise, possibly a tad over fed... no tip burn but they are a very dark green.

Fed seed plants and large clone. Potential mothers still looked a bit wet and are waiting for tomorrow. Both PPP plants were looking a bit hungry, p2 has a few yellowed leaves underneath but good colour, p1 looks a lighter green all over but no recycling leaves yet. both are starting to bush up a bit now the limbs are weighted down.

Skunk #1 fem is doing nicely, tied down flat on top of her pot. Sending up lots of leafy shoots, and a pleasure to watch as they dance on a breeze.

pics when I find my camera... not sure where I put it down, but it can't be far away.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 December 2009 at 12:04
Tried to do this last night but stuffed it up.

Might as well do this from youngest to oldest... and indoor to out.

The most recent batch of clones (8) got potted up individually yesterday, no roots showing yet, but the peat pucks were drying off too fast. Thirty-six hrs later and they are looking okay under the t4's on 18/6.

Pic is from just after potting up, not looking to bright. No nutes yet.

There are also a few seedlings in with the clones, 1 triffid(?) and 4 affie x rud indica. Keeping them indoors in the cooler temps, just too dang hot outside for youngsters. No nutes yet.

The next batch (4) are growing vigorously. I did a more limited wash on the coco (it comes prefertilised) when I came to pot them up, they have a significantly darker green colour than the rest, new growth is a bit odd, so light flush tonight and a water/seaweed only for a few days. Still coming in at night for top up lighting.

The 3 mothers in waiting are looking a little under nourished, p2 has pretty significant tip burn, 3-4mm, feck knows where that came from it's had no extra feed and didn't get the less washed coco. Topped a couple of days back to slow them up a bit. Nutrients tomorrow morning.

Large skunk #1 clone... needs potting up but I am short of huge pots. I have a 15 l black plastic pot, so when cools off enough I'll slap some white paint, and put her in.

The PPP seed plants are responding well to being weighted and going nicely. Drinking 4L second daily.

A group shot of the aboves...

Last is my skunk#1 seed plant, shes developing nicely and feeding similar amounts to the other seed plants.

That's all folks...

-------------

Posted By: Grasso
Date Posted: 28 December 2009 at 20:29
Hi,

your plants are making good progress, Sarah Loise. You provide a lot of detail for everyone to pick out the interesting bits. I am looking forward to seeing buds.

Uli

Date Posted: 28 December 2009 at 21:51
Yes Uli, I am too looking forward to seeing these lovely ladies flower!

Date Posted: 29 December 2009 at 01:54
Thanks Uli, zmokedawg. The plants aren't as limey green as the pics suggest, colour rendition is a bit off, was using my daughter's camera as mine is still MIA.

The details Uli are more for myself than the audience, if I don't write things down somewhere I can't remember what has been done and what still needs doing, but I'm glad you find them enjoyable.

I too am looking forward to seeing this lot flower, nearly out of bud again and not planning on seeking out any more... about 6 weeks until valentines day, when I can expect to see the skunks begin to flower.

Temps for the next week aren't too hot, but with rain, the humidity will make up for the milder temps. Let's hope the thunderstorms are accompanied by a lot of rain. We've had some smaller bushfires so far, one which hit a township, but nothing like the last few years (yet).

-------------

Date Posted: 31 December 2009 at 03:04
Things don't go well here for long, got my feet tangled up in the hose and dropped my large clone. She came out of the pot and landed on her side... might have been ok if I could have righted my position, but I couldn't, fell, and landed on top. In terms of injury, I'm not too bad. Swollen ankle, a couple of bruises and a blood shot eye from getting jabbed by one of the wire ties. The plant on the other hand, didn't fair well.

Spent a few minutes on the ground writhing in pain and then checked out the plant. She was drooping already. Got her back into a pot with as much roots as possible, watered and trimmed off a couple of damaged stems for clones. The leaves didn't perk up and by this morning all her remaining growth had wilted.

As my Granny used to say 'there's many a slip twixt cup and lip'...

So now I get to hop around on crutches in the stinking heat... temps have been around 2C higher than those predicted for the week and it has been too hot for the last couple of nights to turn on the hps. There is supposed to be a storm this evening... let's see how hot it gets before then, already 33C at lunchtime.

Hopefully everyone else will have a better end to the year than this cock up. %3c3ceed%3c20leaf

-------------

Posted By: Grasso
Date Posted: 31 December 2009 at 07:52
Hi,

I am sorry for you, Sarah Louise.

Uli

Date Posted: 31 December 2009 at 08:28
Thanks Uli, I'm glad it was in coco and not soil... much softer landing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 December 2009 at 11:30
Sorry to hear of your accident, Sarah Lou. Hope you, your ankle and the plant are feeling better.

I guess you're only a couple of hours away from midnight, so a very happy new year and new decade to you!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 January 2010 at 01:16
Thanks Ganja, my ankle is a bit better, of the crutches as I can get around with just walking sticks. The plant... still sitting inside under CFL, but hasn't improved. The wilted leaves are drying out rather than perking up, think I've killed this one. %3cisapprove

Happy New Year to you also, maybe I should say Gelukkig nieuwjaar.

My new year has begun well, last night my feral neighbours loaded up all their stuff and left. W00t%3chumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 02 January 2010 at 13:23

My new year has begun well, last night my feral neighbours loaded up all their stuff and left. W00t%3c3chumbs%3c20Up

that sounds like great news sara %3chumbs%20Up.

sorry to hear about your fall though, hope you get better soon.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 03 January 2010 at 01:29
Ta Bart and HNY matey, hope life is treating you well. I've been up on my feet a bit much which is slowing down the healing, but the weather has finally cooled enough for me to do things outside (17.5 mm of rain over the last 2 days). Might have to content myself with sitting down and pulling weeds... plenty of those in the veggie garden to keep me busy.

Potted up my 4 small skunk clones into 9-10L pots last night and seeing as it's only 20C outside this am, the next lot (plus seedlings) are getting their first taste of real sunlight. They graduated from the 40W t4's to 100W cfl 2 days ago and are going great.

Out in the greenhouse I have spidermite activity... again. Haven't been down there much because of my ankle and half expected to see the little b/tards back as a result.

Still can't find the camera, starting to think one of the little ferals came in for a poke about when I was out during the arvo of xmas day... especially as I distinctly remember it being on the table with a half block of choccy before I left. neither have been seen since.

I've got the handyman from the housing dept to come and fix a couple of windows that don't lock well, atm the place is still to easy to get into for my liking.

Gosh it is nice and quiet since the ferals left and it will be a while before new tenants move in because of the amount of damage to the interior of the house. The peace, quiet and privacy are wonderful and I intend to enjoy it while it lasts.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 January 2010 at 05:09

Still can't find the camera, starting to think one of the little ferals came in for a poke about when I was out during the arvo of xmas day... especially as I distinctly remember it being on the table with a half block of choccy before I left. neither have been seen since.

Maybe not... just found the choccy in the back of the freezer. feel more hopeful that the camera will turn up. Fingers crossed.

Didn't mention the last bunch of clones (rescued from the one I landed on). Gosh they look good. Seeing as the wood was more lignified than I would usually cut (some had hollow centres on the stems) I soaked them for 24 hrs in a hormone solution in the fridge before putting them in to the peat pucks... but it might be because I bought a new prop box and it holds the humidity better.

Anyway, the choocy is a treat I didn't expect... hopefully the camera is around here somewhere.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 January 2010 at 13:46
Ok, finished the choccy off but still haven't found the camera and the handyman didn't show... not impressed.

Garden notes - Mixing up 2 strengths of nutes now (2ml/L and 3ml/L instead of 2.5 ml/L) as the older skunks look a little pale yet the PPP have tip burn.

I'm assigning batch numbers to the clones to clarify as I am getting confused.

Skunk#1 (oldest to youngest)

Group A - 4 plants in 9/10 L white pots. The two largest have been tied down to the pot, the other 2 are still upright. Fed the heavy feed as they are growing strongly and beginning to loose colour.

Group B - 8 clones potted up into 1-1.5 L pots yesterday. Out in the greenhouse since potting, fed the light mix tonight and looking sweet. Shame I only need a 2-4 more for the beginning of the flowering season.

Group C - 6 clones still in propagator, spending short periods with the top off each day. Still look rather grand. Not sure what's going to happen with these, I probably should have refrigerated the foliage rather than putting them in peat pucks and started them at the end of the month. Oh well, I do like striking roots on these things. I'll have to see whether the dodgy bros need extras or I might see how they go in the fridge after rooting in the peat?

Seedlings had their first feed of 1/2 strength light feed.Also finished the spraying tonight, including all the ornamentals that screen the greenhouse from potential sticky beaks.

Finally the weather...

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 09:44
My daughter was here today to do her washing so I took the opportunity to grab a few photos... all the pics are a little yellow as I haven't found the best setting on the camera for bright light.

Group C, youngest of the skunk clones. not looking as grand as they were due to me leaving the lid off the prop for too long yesterday but bouncing back.

Groups B and A, plus mothers. The 2 clones at back of pic have now been transplanted into large tubs... definitely have too many clones now, glad I decided against doing more ppp as well. Might have another go at sticking some out in the garden once I find out whether I am getting more ferals for neighbours.

hmmm... doesn't seem to want to let me upload anymore. I'll try again in a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 10:15
try some more... Skunk#1, seed plant.

Not satisfied with how fast the chicks develop, the pigeons are now running 2 nests. Mmmmm look at all that lovely pigeon poo, There will be masses of manure for the veggie garden come autumn. That reminds me, I need to clean out the chicken pen too.

Just to show my fecal matter fetish has a purpose...

Coral lettuces and Leb cucumber.

Italian tomatoes for sauce making...

And mighty red for sandwiches...

Corn, beans and a hollyhock to finish off. I plant several small, disguised patches of corn in different parts of the garden to try and beat the parrots that come in and eat off the male flowers before they have had a chance to fertilise the cobs.

Corn looks like it could use a bit of water tonight, best go and get the watering started.

Edit - oops forgot the ppp seed plants.

Got a few yellow stripey leaves so they'll get extra Mg tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2010 at 18:02
looks like a fetish worth having sara %3cink

nice work on the veggies.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2010 at 18:08
Nice pics, Sarah. The veggies are a breath of fresh air. I adore cannabis images, obviously, but other plants are so rare on this site (and other cannabis sites that I peruse) that seeing different crops being grown well almost seems like an illicit thrill.

Going by the shape of the leaves in the third picture, I may have some sort of cucumber/squash growing in my window box ... though the fact that the leaves have not shrivelled and died after being under snow for 2 weeks suggests that my window box inhabitant is not a fragile plant.

BTW -  that's not a snail trespassing on the plant on the left in the final photo, is it? (grid reference C3)

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2010 at 20:57
hey! what a eagle eye ganja. its good to see sunny pics;here its winter sarah;so you are our litlle sun.

Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 04:17
Thanks Guys,

Despite the arthritis, I'm at my most content when I am gardening. I have 12, 1 and a 1/2  - 2 metre square beds set aside for annual crops... atm I only have 8  in production. A couple are full of weeds and a couple are waiting for planting.

there has been a few changes in the greenhouse, a bit of really hot weather quickly sorts out the weak from the strong. more later when I have a camera to hand.

Originally posted by Ganja

BTW -  that's not a snail trespassing on the plant on the left in the final photo, is it? (grid reference C3)

Not a snail, lol it's a weight made out of a couple of 20 cent pieces... just looking a little corroded with age, but a good call all the same. Snails and slugs don't last long around here,  now that most of the veggie garden is well established, I let the chickens out in the evening for search and destroy duties. They work a treat!

edit -  got a pic that fits right here... search and destroy.

The skunks I kept from group A at rear and group B to the front

The 2 tied down and the 'mums' went to a friend who lost plants to wombats. The 3 'mums' were in plain coco and I didn't like the way it held water at the bottom of the pot... might have to buy better coco if I am going to pot up without perlite. I took fresh clones from the P1 seed plant and a couple from the P2 'mum', seed plant was still struggling with mites.

The aformentioned clones, along with a skunk from group C, will make up the trio to keep in veg until after harvest. 

Only other ganja shot is of canopy of the skunk #1 seed plant... looks greener irl.

And the Roma's are beginning to ripen...

... maybe more later, too stoned right now.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 13:57
realised i edited rather than made a new post for the pics, so bump to let you all know they is here.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 January 2010 at 03:02
My memory is really shoddy...

I came inside to get shoes on, intending to go straight back out and pot up some plants. It's 2 hours later, I've washed the dishes, put on a load of washing, hung some curtains, got a drink, and sat down in front of the computer before remembering why I came inside.

And I still have bare feet.

To finish off from last night, the PPP seed plants both had spider mites, P1 was fine after the usual treatment but P2 was a lot worse so I moved her to the quarantine pen (which I thought to use whilst the house next door remains vacant). Then the heat hit and I missed a watering, wasn't a good look. She lost most of her leaves and what new shoots were left were teeming with spidermites. I bagged and binned her and her coco this morning. 

P1 looks good, just didn't get a pic, the group C skunk clones have been potted and are beginning the process of hardening off before being able to go out into the greenhouse. The new clones to replace the PPP mums (2 of each) are dong fine, tolerating short periods with the prop box open. Both groups still getting 24/0 lighting.

Final spidermite treatment tomorrow DONT FORGET!!!!

Not sure if anyone can help me with a name here, I dug this plant out of a neighbour's garden when they were renovating (was in the way), neither of us had any idea what it is called. The underside of the dark green leaves is a deep purple/maroon.

It screens the entrance to the greenhouse very nicely...

Now I better go get my shoes so I can pot up group B.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 January 2010 at 14:37
sorry sarah,as usal no idea but seems vigourous plant and beautiful flower. and for your memory its like for me!

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 03:41
It is a nice plant BG, loves the heat and high humidity, but needs daily watering in dry air and can't tolerate full sun or frost. It's a bit of work for an ornamental, but it will grow from cuttings and adds to the variety of colours and leaf shapes poking out of the greenhouse, that in turn, support my claim to need a large greenhouse to grow seedlings, special flowers and other plants that can't stand the harsh conditions of winter frosts and full summer sun. 

Cannas are all on track, group B went into a large tub as a bit of a group sog, spraying remembered, all fed, group A still a little yellow but greening up, skunks showing more shortening in the internode length (been looking rather zigzag for the last week or so), and due to cooler conditions, group C are spending their first day in the greenhouse under the part shade of the skunk#1 seed plant and doing nicely. New PPP clones doing well in vented box, tolerating lower humidity levels very well, no roots showing yet.

I also have a fondness for succulents and irises, groovy leaf shapes, weird flowers and very drought tolerant. This is a shot of the 'other' shade house... all grown from leaf, stem and root cuttings, most are waiting to be potted up or put out into the garden come autumn.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 06:10
Things to remember for next season...

For seed that I want to flower at home... start even later. Even with the heavy pruning and tying down the vegetative period is too long if started during September.

Same with clones from seed plants, for flowering at home I don't need the cuts so early.

For large tubs, clones don't need to be taken until 21st Nov, these cuts will veg to a nice size without extra lighting... lol at this time of the year I could root the cutting outside as well.

For 10L pots or multiple plant sog in large tubs, dec 21dec is fine, again weather permitting these could root outside, but the plants do better if they have a couple of weeks under extra light to start them off.

My most recent group of clones (C), taken around nye, are redundant... too early to fit into the flowering line up. I'll see if I can keep them in veg until late March. lol I'd really like to start another batch because I really like growing them, but just like kittens, puppies and baby bunnies, they grow up and need space and care and can draw unwanted attention from figures of authority.

Law wise, space wise and cost wise, I need to keep the number of plants in flower at less than 10. I have 8 set up already in large tubs and a ninth in a 6L pot waiting to be picked up. So the greenhouse is 'full' until some thing is harvested.

I've identified group B (potted up together sog style) as the most likely tub to be harvested early (due to the number of plants in the tub) to allow for Group C (or later cuts) to begin flowering at the end of March.

Cuttings to flower in the latter half of the season need to be in smaller pots. First lot will go out in 10L pots, but further into the winter the 6L pots are better for carrying in for warmth at night.  Definitely need to grab some more 6L pots.

We have had a lovely few days of cool weather, no rain, but we have had 4 days under a top of 30C... just lovely, but it looks like today is the last of the cool. Summer will be back by week's end.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2010 at 08:36
  Bit of an update seeing as there was a camera available briefly...

First a group shot from a couple of weeks ago, ppp (left, rear) went with my now ex to flower in the city, so it's all skunk#1 here for the first group to flower. I got some 'courtesy' bud from a mate who earlier got clones and have to say I wasn't very impressed with the ppp, of course, some of that may be the grow, but to me it was mediocre but Lou was happy enough with it.

I took these next shots yesterday (obviously). Lots of blurritis, I reckon some of that is the skunk and the rest is my inexperience with this camera. These are what I managed to correct post exposure so some of the green tones are still a bit off, this is only in the images the plants all have very nice colour now.

Skunk#1 seed plant... showing distinctly more pistils at the crowns this morning... the next few days will be interesting. Drinking down around 8 litres of solution daily. It's hot, dry and she is quite a substantial shrub (plant height - 80 cm, diameter - 110 cm).

Group A, also developing more pistils and looking a much better colour than in the group pic above.

Group B,  4 inna 35 litre pot and one that still hasn't been picked as a single in a 9 litre pot. Looking at them now... when I consider that the 4 largest clones went into the pot and the single left over was much smaller than the rest... I think I'll keep them in individual pots. Haven't decided yet, but I think the tubs are overkill with coco and take an enormous amount of nutrient solution to water to adequate runoff.

Group C are getting tall, 2 largest are in 2.5 litre pots, smaller 3 are still in 1 litre pots. The largest have reached the height ceiling for vegging under my cfl's so it is time to take clones off the top.

BRB %3c3co%3c20high

edit -  thought I could get pics from the 2 lots of ppp clones inside, couldn't my daughter has left for dinner and clubbing and has taken the camera with her.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:23
Any way, I do have 2 clones of each ppp seed plant that have been potted up into a 200ml pots of coco/perlite and are drinking every 2 days @1 ml/L A+B and 0.5 ml/L seaweed/mollases. Plus, there are two extra clones from p1 that I took just before the seed plant left, still in the prop box and will be for a while, we haven't had any rain so the humidity is in single figures.

Not sure now if I want more skunk clones with these coming on... might fridge the foliage that has to come off Group C instead. I stuffed a timer up so they are getting 24/0 lighting, sun during the day and 100W cfl 5000K over night, I'll look at them later and decide on something.

We are now 7 minutes under a 15 hour day, it's hot, dry and the UV levels are extreme... roll on flowering. %3coving%20it

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2010 at 09:12

Skunk#1 seed plant... showing distinctly more pistils at the crowns this morning... the next few days will be interesting.

Yep, she's flowering... twice as many pistils this am. Day One :)

-------------

Date Posted: 31 January 2010 at 23:07
Day 3 begins (woohoo, I haven't had a plant in flower since the house was knocked off and that feels like so long ago)

Fresh water flush yesterday for the big pots, not something I have done habitually but the design of the containers stores runoff in a reservoir to be wicked back up to the plants. With soil I just tip the pot over to drain the runoff until the plants have spread roots throughout the soil, after that I usually just let them suck up the run off from the res.

For the coco I am leaving the bit of runoff in the res during the week (it's gone by the next day) and flushing on a Sunday. As the plants get bigger it's getting a bit hard to manhandle the pots and I doubt I will be able to keep this up as they flower. I'm going to either have to drill a drain hole in the base of each tub or get a small water pump to siphon off the waste water. Not keen on either solution, so I'm open to suggestions. My back wont take much more of the method I am employing currently.

This morning was Eco-Oil day, up at six am to spray the garden before the sun burns the crap out of everything. Take that sap suckers, smother ye bastards in canola, eucalyptus and melaleuca oils!

Also topped a clone from each of the 2 largest of GroupC to be able to keep them under the lights, they look a little pathetic cut back so I am hoping to be able to run the hps later in the week (cooler weather coming), the cut clones are in the fridge waiting for me to decide what to do with them (lol). 

Daytime temps between 35 and 38C, night's sitting around 20 - 24C and everything is booming along.

Better go pick tomatoes before it gets hot, it's time to make sauce.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window