Forum Discription: Questions and answers about indoor cultivation
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6084
Printed Date: 18 August 2019 at 09:52

Topic: Nutes and lights
Posted By: yoka86
Subject: Nutes and lights
Date Posted: 08 October 2009 at 04:03
Hello guys,

I am a beginner growing and my seedling has already sprout on sunday. Now I am using a little cup of 110ml and I probably will be transplanting as soon as possible.
My question is now that I ve put the lights 10 cm of the plant but her cotyledons is still a little bit down and the leaves wont grow. So it is ventilated ( temps about 27º and humidity about 70% ). Do you think is that normal and in few days I would see my first big leaves ?
What about my nutes they are raising the ph by itself, is that normal ? Need I to verify my ph every day?

I appreciate your help,

Kayo

Replies:
Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:51
It's too early to expect the leaves to grow rapidly. Initial growth is slow and becomes (in decent conditions) exponentially faster as the foliage develops.

Little foliage = little area to photosynthesise = slow growth
More foliage = more photosynthesis = faster growth, and so on. The rate of growth accelerates rapidly in later vegetation.

Be very careful not to give too much water or too much nutrient at this stage. Both can damage a plant just as easily as they can help it, at this stage.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 09 October 2009 at 08:32
Now I am giving 0,7 EC on ph about 6... I am trying to put a lot of time a little bit of water, and today she has shown better has growth the serrated leave but still not big growth. Anyway as you said the begin is a slow part of the cycle but I think she is doing well, seems to be health only think is that her height is about 10,5 cm but I hope she can stay strong!
Thanks for your help, I will try to upload pictures late...

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 04:32
6th day under lights

7th day under lights

now she is on 8th day and has got more 0,6 cm between big leaves the small leaves too has growth good.

do you think I am going to need change something on food or light?

right now the lights are 40 cm away and the nutes are 0,8 on ph 6.

I am using two cold fluors and one warm.

the temp is about 27,5ºC and humidty about 68%.

I am going to update with picture soon, but now I don´t have camera to take one!

Hope for tips...

Kayo

Posted By: PhergusFarma
Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 05:41
looks a bit stretched, you can fill in up to those first (epicotyl) leaves, with whatever medium that is.

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 21:19
Do you mean fill my pot at all ?

Date Posted: 15 October 2009 at 21:20
It is 7 cm from the soil maybe is my picture I will try to redefine it and upload again
By the way the medium used is coco

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 17:24
Somebody knows if I can use only 2100k Fluor lamps on my flowering room ?
It will works like a hps ?

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 17:30
I mean 2700k fluor lamps...

Posted By: bartmanuk
Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 20:51
yes you can, but i would imagine you would need approx 400-500watts of them, how big is the space you are going to be flowering in?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 21:40
good , but my doubt everytime is getting bigger I will explain my point...
I already have set a 400w hps but I am with eletricit problems, my energy transformer is turning off about 15min turned on... so I have 3 options, change my whole energy for 220V that I am not sure if that is possible, use the new energy transformer that the guy told me is continuous and would stabilize or by cfl lamps..
I have found a cfl lamp of 65w about 6000 lumens, so how many of them I would need?
My space is 90cm x 60 cm x 140 cm...

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 21:48
why are you using a transformer?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 22:15
because my energy is 110v

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 22:16
hps do you think 400watts good or better 250 ?

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 22:49
if your energy is 110v, then why dont you just buy 110v rated equipement, this way you dont need a transformer, which means you will be using a lower current, and therefore will not keep causing it to cut out.

and 400w over 250w all day long mate.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 22:55
I cannot find those equipaments on 110v, I already tried...
It would be better work with my current, maybe I will get a 220v with my energy company, I am thinking about my costs.
For my room do you think 400w would be the best choise ?

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 23:04
Originally posted by yoka86

I cannot find those equipaments on 110v, I already tried...

everyone else in the world who runs on 110v, seems to find them all ok, try looking on ebay.

For my room do you think 400w would be the best choise ?

yes definately, my flower room is 90cm x 80cm x 240cm, and i use a 400w.

BM %3c3ceed%3c20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 23:18
They only produce here at 220v I already have this one probably I will try those two options...
Your flower room is the double of mine... I will put a good exaust on this room so... I hope work it out!!!!
About my vegetative stage do you think better mix 6400k lamps with 2700k ?
Or use only 6400k ?

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 23:27
where the hell are you? you have a 110v supply to your house, but you can only buy 240v equipement? sounds like your government/electricity company is on some sort of fiddle.

my flower room is not double yours, the actual area covered by the light is almost the same.

6400k lamps only for veg, then you can mix the 6400k and 2700k during flowering.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2009 at 03:02
hauhauha Maybe late...
I will use first the transformer and late I will be changing my wires for 220v!
I have now two fluors 21w above my seedling 30cm...
my nutes are 0,85 and ph 5,5 ( it is increasing by itself)
temps about 27º day and 25º night ; humidity higher during day!!!
I think everything is fine I will upload pictures as soon as I can and you can give me more tips.

I appreciate your help

Date Posted: 18 October 2009 at 03:10
Anyone knows if is possible keep to mothers and make clones on 60cm x 80cm x 140cm ?
I don´t know what size the clones must be transfered to the flower room.

Date Posted: 18 October 2009 at 03:25
I was thinking use 35 x 35 for each mother and use 20 x 15 for the clones

Date Posted: 18 October 2009 at 19:59
Urgent... Calcium deficience may cause drop leaves ? or only manganese decifience?

Date Posted: 19 October 2009 at 00:48
Sorry for my mistake, it is borning two new leaves on the sides of my main leaves I thought my plant was distorted!
I think everything is doing good probably in couple of days I will be uploading pictures!
Thanks

Posted By: PhergusFarma
Date Posted: 19 October 2009 at 01:58
if you know you have a female, and you cut from that plant, once that cut has roots you can put it into 12/12. if you vegetate it for a couple of weeks at 18/6, it will be a lot bigger, and keep getting bigger. some plants will triple in size after going to 12/12. do some searching in this forum for answers from people with serious experience. just enter the overall topic of your question into the search box, and then read.

Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 03:48
I don´t know if its because my plant genes or if it is because nutes, but my first leaves are only 5cm both toguether and my plant has got her 5th set of leaves.
Might I do something or just wait and see what is coming on?

Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 03:50
Ok I will make some experiences... So as you said I can use little spaces for my clones probably I will be able to fit two mother plants on my vegetate room!
Hope my Nothern lights be a partner of my White widow!

Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 18:41
Nim oil could be user either on vegetating and flowring ?

Posted By: MotorcycleMick
Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 21:13

lol i think we need to grow some plants before we can talk about flowering and buds.

Date Posted: 22 October 2009 at 02:40
hauhauhuahuahuahuha Its getting bigger hope turn a big buds!!!

Posted By: 420sinsemilla
Date Posted: 22 October 2009 at 20:28
hei,

flow period u need at least 25 000 lumen

250w Hps is a 28 000 lumen. so it, s good

400/600w HPS is better.

Date Posted: 22 October 2009 at 22:48
Good to know from you, because I read on the seller website the 250W was 7000 lumens and I don´t know yet if I am going to change for a 250 or stay with my 400... I don´t know how hottest is the 400... do you know something that can help me to decide ?

Date Posted: 22 October 2009 at 23:25

Nim oil could be user either on vegetating and flowring ?

neem oil is used to get rid of bugs, what did you want to do with it?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 00:51
I was planning to prevent bugs using this...
I just made my own nute with one pineapple, about 3 hours after my first watered.. she shown a lot sinals of health and get about 1 cm up!! I am really impressed I am probably going to stop using other fertilizers if she continues doing better!

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 01:58
pineapple.... news to me never heard of this approach would of thought it would make the water quite acidic.

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 04:08
Yes it is kind of acid actually I got 3,8 ph and great 2,0 EC to make it increase I mixed with milk of magnesia

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 04:11
I will see tomorrow because my plant like to grow during night... That is the reason I was surprised she grew about 1 cm during day and show a better kind of green on the leaves... I look forward to see what is coming on tomorrow!
Updates coming soon!

Date Posted: 12 November 2009 at 03:09
I am still wainting for a camera but I think got serious problems with my plant... All my leaves are showing dark orange to yellow either on the sides and tabs, I just washed my roots with a lot of water and waiting for tomorrow to see what is going to happen.
hope for some help

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 18:16
here is my owe pictures

Few days ago the yellow spots were only on the leaves tips,
hope for your help guys.

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 18:19
I don´t know if it is a heat problem or nitrogen deficiency, anyway I already washed the roots and started yesterday night giving more nitrogen and buble water in the morning.
Look forward for advances

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 21:12
looks like you have a severe lack of micro nutes mate, mainly Mg and Zn.
maybe some N too.
what soil you using? what water you using? have you fed them yet?

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 22:31
My soil is coco and I am using filtered water, I already used some water fall water but it was the same... but I will get more of that.
I am thinking about my mistake giving wrong nutes, I gave nutes rich in fulvic and humic acids that supposed to be used flowering, but I am not sure if that was the problem. So as I said I already washed the roots and I am giving now a nute that has Nitrogen , Calcium , sulfur , magnesium and copper, I don´t know if I can give the other one organic that the composition is Nitrogen , phosphorus, potassium, manganese, molybdenum, silicon. Now I added one more CFL ( 30 W ) I was running 2 CFLS 21 W ).
Do you think I am doing right or should I do something different ?

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 22:45
My only one nute with Zn is one powder to mix with the soil do you think I can just put on the top some of this ?
The composition is Ca 17% , B 0,1% , Zn 0,15% , Mg 8% , Fe 0,2% , Mn 0,07% , S 3% , Cu 0,05% , Mo 0,005%

Date Posted: 13 November 2009 at 23:08
Last picture, I think it is already getting darker green but it is still needing something.

Date Posted: 14 November 2009 at 09:02
my advice would be to keep up with the micro nutes, as by filtering the water you are taking all these out.

also i would say you need more light, you should get yourself a 125w cfl, in the blue spectrum (6400 kelvins)

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 14 November 2009 at 14:01
I think the 30W CFL = regular 110W. I just found one 48W = regular 175W. What kind of wattage are you asking for, CFLs or regular ?
I added some powder in the coco and probably I will do it again in one week, Do you think is it enough?
What about this yellow leaves will never recovery?
I appreciate your help BM

Date Posted: 14 November 2009 at 21:52
im talking cfl's man, not regular.

something like this
http://www.growell.co.uk/p/1587/Eco-Lights-Compact-Fluorescent-Lamps-CFL-.html - http://www.growell.co.uk/p/1587/Eco-Lights-Compact-Fluorescent-Lamps-CFL-.html  

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 14 November 2009 at 23:07
got ya, my bad!
I will try to find something like this, but it should be expensive!
about the plant I think it is looking pretty weir, do you think all of this leaves distorted and yellow will die and I only can expect something from the new leaves ?

Date Posted: 14 November 2009 at 23:11

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 00:22
 I think if you are to grow anymore plants you should just put the seed in good soil, water it and let it grow, its sounds to complicated what your are doing for such a small grow and not much experiance like me well indoors anyway, and i know you want the best for your plants but sumtimes such a simple approach can work out very well. Good soil, tomato Food and read the amount of millilitres of plant food you should use in conjuction to the water if there seedlings  (very tiny plants) do not need any food if there in soil or a mineral full growing media.

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 01:05
I will try to do that... but something different is happening , my new leaves sprouting are longer and appears to becoming a five set of leaves! As soon as they sprout I will post pictures to see if it is healthy.
So... you don´t like coco as a medium ?
I thought it was more neutral medium that I could use!
Anyway thanks for your attention

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 12:28

???????

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:47
I told you that in my next seed I will try don´t feed when young!
That´s all... hope you understood.

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:54
Hello I am again here posting new pictures to get opnions,
I think my young leaves and my internodes are doing very good after this deficiency.

Wait for comments,

yoka

Date Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:55
Please tell me that she can recovery her healthy!!!!!

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 01:26

Why this happened less than 24 hours?
Someone know the reason of death ? or it is still alive ?

My concerns,

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:31
i would say you would be extremely lucky to bring that back, although i have seen it happen a couple of times.
what did you ever do to it?

my advise would be to get some decent soil from a grow shop, and start over again.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:49
probably I will let her in the lights for few days and see if new leaves will appear! It happened after night that I spray nitrogen on her... But I think I gave a lot of differents kind of feed maybe that was the problem. I am planning start over again as soon as possible, I have one seed already for 10 days germinating but it has never sprout.
How do you germinate your seeds paper towel ? with homones ?
Thanks for your advise man, I did my best for the first time growing!

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:53

probably I will let her in the lights for few days and see if new leaves will appear! It happened after night that I spray nitrogen on her... But I think I gave a lot of differents kind of feed maybe that was the problem. I am planning start over again as soon as possible, I have one seed already for 10 days germinating but it has never sprout.
How do you germinate your seeds paper towel ? with homones ?
Thanks for your advise man, I did my best for the first time growing!

i always follow the paper towel method, never use hormones or anything like that for germing, seeds have all they need to get started in life, we just need to give them a bit of water, and alot of love.
try keeping it simple next time.

BM %3ceed%20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 20:35
i think he was showing to much love :/

Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 18 November 2009 at 12:15
Killing with kindness is a very common problem for first-time growers.

Everyone wants their new babies to do as well as possible and, unfortunately, this often means over-watering, over-feeding and over-management of plants. Tiny aberrations in growth pattern, plant appearance or leaf colouring often receive too much attention from worried growers, and steps taken to 'fix' the problem can often make things worse, when the plant in question would have been fine when left to its own devices.

Plants generally do best when a few basic growing requirements are met and they are then left alone.

I remember when I have little experience in growing, a flatmate was bringing up a few plants in a pot in the back garden. It was a good, sunny spring and he was out there poring over his plants 5 or 10 times per day, watering, examining and fretting that they were growing very, very slowly. Each time he went out to check on them, he'd water them a little more and they stayed in stasis. After about 4 weeks he had to go away for a week, and care of the plants was left to the rest of the house. The plants were allowed to dry out - we only watered them once or twice in that week. When the plants' owner came back, he was surprised to see that they had doubled in size. You could actually see the point at which he went away in the foliage - it went from pale green and misshapen to healthy, dark green and vigorous.

Basically, when a plant is young (first 4 weeks), leave it alone as much as possible.
  • Be very careful about over-watering it - soil should be allowed to almost dry out before watering again.This can work out to only 1 or 2 waterings per week, as seedling consume moisture very slowly. Plants need more water as they get bigger.
  • Seedlings need little or no nutrient for the first week or two, even when growing on a neutral hydro medium. In soil, they definitely don't need any, as the soil is full of nutrients.
  • Seeds need no nutrients or hormones to germinate - they'll either do it under their own power, or they won't germinate.
  • Young plants should be given plenty of bright light (without being kept too close to the lamp)
  • Young plants, especially seedlings, need an atmosphere of moving air in order to strengthen their stems. Plants started in an environment with static air are usually weaker.
  • High humidity is beneficial to young plants, especially clones, which, at first,  do not have roots to absorb moisture. A covered, clear-topped propagator is often beneficial to clones, as it keeps humidity concentrated in a small space. However, such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 18 November 2009 at 20:53
Originally posted by Ganja

such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.
I used a propagator on seedlings and felt like it prolonged there growth and then questioned its use, now it all makes sense!

Date Posted: 22 November 2009 at 03:25
Originally posted by Ganja

Killing with kindness is a very common problem for first-time growers.Everyone wants their new babies to do as well as possible and, unfortunately, this often means over-watering, over-feeding and over-management of plants. Tiny aberrations in growth pattern, plant appearance or leaf colouring often receive too much attention from worried growers, and steps taken to 'fix' the problem can often make things worse, when the plant in question would have been fine when left to its own devices.Plants generally do best when a few basic growing requirements are met and they are then left alone. I remember when I have little experience in growing, a flatmate was bringing up a few plants in a pot in the back garden. It was a good, sunny spring and he was out there poring over his plants 5 or 10 times per day, watering, examining and fretting that they were growing very, very slowly. Each time he went out to check on them, he'd water them a little more and they stayed in stasis. After about 4 weeks he had to go away for a week, and care of the plants was left to the rest of the house. The plants were allowed to dry out - we only watered them once or twice in that week. When the plants' owner came back, he was surprised to see that they had doubled in size. You could actually see the point at which he went away in the foliage - it went from pale green and misshapen to healthy, dark green and vigorous.Basically, when a plant is young (first 4 weeks), leave it alone as much as possible.
  • Be very careful about over-watering it - soil should be allowed to almost dry out before watering again.This can work out to only 1 or 2 waterings per week, as seedling consume moisture very slowly. Plants need more water as they get bigger.
  • Seedlings need little or no nutrient for the first week or two, even when growing on a neutral hydro medium. In soil, they definitely don't need any, as the soil is full of nutrients.
  • Seeds need no nutrients or hormones to germinate - they'll either do it under their own power, or they won't germinate.
  • Young plants should be given plenty of bright light (without being kept too close to the lamp)
  • Young plants, especially seedlings, need an atmosphere of moving air in order to strengthen their stems. Plants started in an environment with static air are usually weaker.
  • High humidity is beneficial to young plants, especially clones, which, at first, do not have roots to absorb moisture. A covered, clear-topped propagator is often beneficial to clones, as it keeps humidity concentrated in a small space. However, such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.

Hi Ganja,

I think you explained everything happend. I really did too much in everything to my plant so now I am going to be very carefull watering and everything else.
I am going to start over again this week and will follow all your advices, hope can give you better news next time!

I appreciate your help, it will be extremely important for my next grow.

Print Page | Close Window