Forum Name: Indoor Growing
Forum Discription: Questions and answers about indoor cultivation
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5914
Printed Date: 16 November 2019 at 01:09

Topic: new grower seeking a lil guidence
Posted By: stoneyyay
Subject: new grower seeking a lil guidence
Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 01:29
happy 420 or at least my time of this writing.for starters im not doing anyhing huge just having some fun i've set up a a large box and lined it with tinfoil and am running 2 60 watt halos, sometimes just one if the temp gets too highand they seem to be loving it i put them in there after about 2 -3 weeks of sitting in the window and the weather got crappy so i made their new home in 1 12 hour cycle they popped 2 more nodes each (2)and added another half inch in height.. so now onto details which fertilizers work best for what stages?? i also want to keep them relativly small but yield large buds for their size (its not a huge box 4 1/2 feet tall by 2' wide and 1 1/2 deep) do i have enough lighting. another question was would running a blue neon during its 12 hour "night cycle" help stimulate growth at all ( uv rays produced from said neons). ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated.

i'll smoke one for you
%3cig%3c

Replies:
Posted By: ruffyen
Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 01:58
Well first off from all the reading that I have done in these forums I will start from the top. The tin foil, Tin foil is bad for grow boxes for a few reasons, the main reason being that mirrors and surfaces like that not only reflect light but also the heat. I would suggest due to the relative small size of the grow box either looking for mylar or painting, covering the walls with something flat white.

I am going to assume from the size of the box that you are growing around 3 plants. For 3 plants I think that 160w should be ok. Just make sure that while you are in the veg stage that you are using bulbs in the 6500 color range.

Photo periods - You are talking about one 12 hour cycle...in the veg stage you need to be running lights at least 18 hours. Some people run them for 24 hours...I personally run them 18 giving the plants some time to "sleep". Once your plants get to the point where you want to flip the switch essentially and put them in flower stage that is when you change it down to 12 hours.

Fertilizers aka nutes - I bought some Bio-Bizz, they have two different formulas one that is good for vegging one that is good for flower. I purchased both...the nutes run around 20 bucks a bottle but they last for a long time. I have been using the nutes for almost 2 months now and barely put a dent in my bottle. I am going to go ahead and tell you dont make the same mistake most newbies make and buy miracle grow...that stuff is WAY too powerful and unless its ALL you have you have to cut that stuff bigtime, like 1part MG 5 parts water maybe even more.

As for bud yield. Its really hard to say, but the best advice I can give you on that is lots of light and careful attention to nutes.

Take most of my advice with a grain of salt though as I am pretty much a first time grower myself. My current crop of 4 plants is going way better than my first grow of one pant. I am using a 400w HPS ballast with an MH conversion bulb. I just built a cabinet today that I am going to elaborate on in another post read up on it if you want.

Cheers and good luck.

Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 02:24
Thanx for your input ruffyen, not too sure about heat being an issue as im running two 60 watt halos and if it gets too hot i can either put my bigger fan in there and a bigger extractor fan in there too or turn one light out and as far as the colour range i have NO idea how to tell what range the bulbs  are in, they're ge edison 60 watt halogen bulbs model 00658like i said this is just for fun and "free smoke" and have u even heard of using neons for a "night cycle"
note the box holds 2 nicely( for now at least)

Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 07:32
another note when should i start trimming i'll post some pics in a day or 2 i did a little looking up and i think the bulbs are 2500 k and i dont want to spend  a small fortune on grow stuff

Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 18:04
Halogen lights aren't particularly useful for indoor growing, as they give out the wrong colour of light - mostly yellow, IIRC - in the middle of the spectrum, rather than the red or blue (from opposite ends) that plants really need.

For just a little more power consumption, 140 watts of fluorescent lighting* will give more light and more usable lumens in the correct spectrum(s) while generating less heat. Fluorescent lights are cheap to buy; the 120cm ones are comparatively cheaper than the 60cm (ie much less than twice the price) but 120cm tubes may not fit in a small space.

As Ruffyen says, a 12hr light/12hr dark cycle causes cannabis to flower. Plants usually gain height in an 18-on/6-off cycle, and are then switched over to 12/12 for blooming. If you're in the blooming period, you should definitely not add any light in the dark part of the cycle, as this can mess everything up.

Most all, change the lights. The difference in end results from fluoros vs halogens will surprise you. It's almost not worth it to take the risk of growing and spend the money to power the lights when the end result is unlikely to reach its full potential.

* 4 x 120cm tubes will consume 144w, same as 8 x 60cm tubes
A 120cm tube consumes 36w and gives out about 3500 lumens. A 60cm tube is half that.

EDIT - also, there's no need to trim anything!

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 26 August 2009 at 06:01
thanx for the input ganja but i dont have room for 60 cm flouro's would cfls suffice lol i could get upwards of say 12 in there if necisary  ???

Date Posted: 26 August 2009 at 09:54
Better to get one of the 'giant' CFLs, also known as envirolights.

They're large versions of the normal household ones, about 40cm long, 100 to 200w, 10,000lm to 18,000lm or so.

Envirolights are intended for indoor growing.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!

Posted By: Solidopc
Date Posted: 27 August 2009 at 01:13
Envirolites are great. Very cheap, check ebay, i bought my two for about £20 with the cable. Though i didn't get mine with a hood, just the bulbs, wires and connectors. The one i bought with a hood came from my local growshop which is a ripoff.

I'm sure you could get it quite cheap online somewhere though. They don't give off buggar all heat, and for just a bit of fun would be ideal. They will produce you some decent bud. Not the biggest yields, or fattest buds, but as far as aroma, taste and potency go, it should be fine.

-------------
Green-Thumb Growing

Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 06:59
%3c3ceed%3c20leaflol k well I didnt take any of your advice (not that input wasnt apreciated) and umm lets see theyre about 4 ft tall as tall as theyre box STARTED they wound up hitting the top (one got a lil scortched but its ok) so i hat to upsize adding on another few feet its about 5'9 tall now i had to put them onto a 12/12 cycle and they smell tantalizing been on a 12 and 12 for about 2 weeks now make that a week and a half since i bought my timeri'll be posting pics in a few minutes after i up them from my phone well i guess i DID kinda take your advice and put a second bulb (cfl to keep heat down) and COMPLETLY redigned the way the box's air flow's through it%3ceed%20leaf

Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 07:17
okay lol picture's will have to wait till i can find my camera one thing i find interesting is how the lower leaves appear to be "sloutching" downward and growing towards the bottom light

Posted By: Hanfarmer
Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 22:40
Hey I had a quick question, I have an old 400w MH light hangin out in the closet and I was wondering if I could put it over my plants which are huge (3) which were as of until last night outdoors, they still look happy and I heard that the hps light is the best, but does MH do the trick? Vielen dank,
Swissamerikan 

Posted By: Hanfarmer
Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 22:42
P.S. I ommited the most important detail, they have been flowering for about 3 1/2 weeks but still have that premature grapefruit smell,
Thx again, a reply would be deeply appriciated =)

Date Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:08
HPS is better for flowering, but MH can be used.

Plants might look a bit stressed or in shock for a few days after being put under HID light, but they should adapt very quickly.

To keep them in flowering, make sure they get only 12hrs of light each day, followed by 12hrs of complete darkness.

-------------

Posted By: dc24
Date Posted: 01 October 2009 at 18:06
may jah bless me

I have just brought a new 250w high presure sodium kit and its like a ufos just landed its bright it goes white blue then turns orange red pics will be up soon

I have 2 white skunk in  seedling stage hopefully i will get a female this time round

trial and error i say

Bless

Posted By: dc24
Date Posted: 01 October 2009 at 18:11
my advice go with hps you can use them for both u dont need mh Hps all the way

Date Posted: 18 February 2010 at 09:35
hey, lol thread wound up getting hijacked :D all good lol just wanted to let you all know that it worked quite well, and with a few alreations its workingeven better now, i've switched to said envirobuls, the 200 watt replacement, and some blue neon tubes aswell, and theybe been vegging like mad on a 24 hour runlast crop was about an ounce a plant, they grew way to tall way to quick under the halogens, im guesing the heat and infarred light, which is better used in budding than veg lol if at all they wound up being 5 and a half feet tall with next to NO leaves on the bottoms, as the tops stole all the light, so now i've lowered the lights, added 2 50 watt cfls. UNDER the top leaves and upgraded my extractor and blower fans, the temp usually stays between 20 and 24degrees celcius it was getting a littl too moist in there, but beefing up fans helped significantly..
just thought i'd start my own expirimentations and thought id let u guys know maybe you have done something similar and either of us fouond a way of improving it..

Posted By: skunkluvr
Date Posted: 03 March 2011 at 16:35
sorry to hijack your thread but quick question.....i got 1 sensi skunk seed to sprout out of 15...(pobably cuz the seeds were 7 yrs old) but now its about 7 inches tall and lookin gd! i had hoped to have more seein as i bought a 1000watt hps setup....ive got it under hps for 18 hrs and also givin it some cfl ....would it be bad for it to never get any darkness and keep the cfl's on it thru its dark time??  (....wld make it 18hrs of hps and cfl, and 6 hrs jst cfl's....) what u guys think?

-------------
Many Sincere Thanks to EVERYONE!! Gd luck and God bless your gardens!

Date Posted: 03 March 2011 at 17:25
Stoneyyay, as mentioned earlier, halogen lights are pretty useless for growing.

It doesn't sound like heat or IR was the problem, just that the bulbs weren't giving out the correct spectrum of light, so the plants stretched as if they were being shaded, trying to find better access to the 'sun'.

skunklvr, it doesn't sound like there's much reason to run the CFLs during the 6 'dark' hours. The difference between their light and the light emitted by 1000w of HPS is so great that they probably won't grow much in the extra 6hrs. Stick to 18/6, IMO.

-------------

Posted By: skunkluvr
Date Posted: 03 March 2011 at 22:23
THANKS G!  ive been runnning the cfl's at same time as hps.....because i wuz thinkin since i was starting it out so early on hps that the cfl wld help keep it from stretching as much? do u think i need both at same time or am i wasting power? i was planning on only using the cfl's for clones and mammas but since i only got one to sprout i thought id give it all the light i had..... ganja, your advice is sooo greatfully appreciated!!

-------------
Many Sincere Thanks to EVERYONE!! Gd luck and God bless your gardens!

Posted By: martiniGR
Date Posted: 03 March 2011 at 22:48
you are wasting power..the 1000watts is enough for about 5 square meter!

-------------
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL

Print Page | Close Window