Forum Discription: Everything about growing your favourite plant outdoors
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4612
Printed Date: 17 October 2018 at 05:21

Topic: I think its the end??
Posted By: chillumpuffer
Subject: I think its the end??
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 18:05

Hi Ganja

Following on from your support on Passports 1st grow: I flowered an Early Girl in Early July.  I did 12/12 inside ( sucessfully) then put it outside - I took a chance on the weather and hoping it would not go back to veg growth.It's been in the sun when it's been sunny and in the greenhouse when its not. It has new growth - but not loads - small very green feathery leaves.

It was doing great until the last few days when i fear it is starting to rot. It has a very sickly sweet smell to it, feels very sticky and has mottled leaves. There are flowers there and lots of them but i am afarid i may have lost her. I have seen this before and it goes down hill very quickly.

What do i do? Leave it outside - where quite frankly the weather is dreadful. Inside the house - where its dry or greenhouse it - where its damp?? Do I Cut out any suspect areas ?

Help from yourself or any of the well tuned folks would be great

Replies:
Posted By: Highasa
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 18:48
i would certainly be tempted to bring her in. I used a greenhouse last year and they do get very humid which is ideal for budrot.

If it is budrot then yes cut out the suspect areas to stop it from spreading.

If you are bringing her in be careful about light pollution and I guess put it back into 12/12, I'd also used a fan to keep the air circulating.

that is what I'd do....but I am no expert!

Good luck

Posted By: Signum
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 19:22
a fan would be good to keep it dry, but a fan also spreads all the mould right?

good luck rescuing dude! it's nasty to see such a precious plant rotting away...

-------------

Posted By: figment
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 20:36
Hi chillumpuffer,

I just yesterday spotted two patches of mould on one of my Thais (actually a friend spotted them). I thought I had been paying close attention but obviously not close enough. It looked like one little leaf had died and gone mouldy and it had started to spread. The patches were small, both restricted to one small branch each. I cut them off and the plants are looking okay today.

What you say about the sickly smell worries me a bit, as the Thais have started to take on a smell like your description. Unfortunately I can't move mine, as they are in the ground, but I'd recommend you get yours somewhere dryer if you can, from my recent experience.

Now I'm just praying for dryish weather, as I'm sure you are. Good luck chillumpuffer.

figment.

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 10:49
Hi Folks

My Girl has died. All has gone. This country's weather has certainly done it's worse.

It will now be recycled. As Basil Fawlty once said " Lucky Old Bin"

Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:16
You might want to keep the plant, rather than binning it.

If you're familiar with the water-hash process, you can make good hash from mouldy buds - the washing and screening process will either wash the spores through the screen or cause them to float at the top. of the washing container.

In the end, you get pure, contamination-free resin. The bags for making water hash might constitute a bit of an outlay, but they're worth owning if you grow and have an interest in hash.

Dry-screening mouldy bud is not a good idea if you want to avoid fungus spores.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:51
Thanks Ganja

I only have one plant - albeit a 5ft one. I take on board what you've said and I think I have seen the method on you tube ( is this done with ice?) Interestingly i am more of a hash smoker as a rule.

I can only assume this  rot problem is pretty endemic to outdoor (or greenhouse) growing in this part of the world ( North England). The summer has been the worse i can remember - high humidity, high rainfall and feck all sun

As for your advice how can one stop this? I also grow tomatoes and a few Thai Aubergines in the greenhouse. Does this affect the overall humidity or is it better just to grow green only?

I am seriously considering not bothering next year as it's not the first time this has happened.

Thanks for all's advice and i hope nobody has to see the demise of such a once healthy girl

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 12:26
Well, there's fungus and there's fungus. But even in the wet and humid northern summer, it need not be a common outcome.

Things like powdery mildew or the various leaf-spot funguses are a problem, but they're not a disaster, as they can be controlled quite effectively with bio fungicides, bleach or (in the case of mildew) a light dusting of baking soda (upsets the pH balance enough to kill off mildew).

Botrytis (grey mould) is the real bastard. Other funguses consume already-decomposing plant matter, but botrytis actually attacks plant matter, causing it to rot and become a food source. It's much more invasive than the other types of fungus, and it can often be eating away at the centre of a bud with few external symptoms until it's too late. I've seen gorgeous, foot-long Jack Flash buds that looked a treat from the outside, which were filled with grey mould when broken open (these buds did go on to make the best hash I've tried, so it wasn't a total loss).

Sulphur is a good cure for most, if not all fungus, but it's not an element I'd want to introduce into the air when buds are developed beyond about the fourth week. Sulphur is usually distributed via the air, so is only really usable indoors or in the greenhouse.

Basic ways to avoid fungus:

1. Keep a very clean greenhouse, with as little dead plant matter about the place as possible. While weather conditions may be worse outside than in the greenhouse, the greenhouse is probably more likely cause fungus as it keep plants much warmer and more humid. Wet buds are a potential danger for fungus, but a warm, humid dead-air atmosphere is much worse.

2. Install an extractor fan for the greenhouse, venting out the top or even via concealed tube if neighbours are a problem (the longer the tube, the more powerful the fan must be).
You could have the fan on a timer, or even attached to a cheap hygrostat that will detect humidity and turn on the fan when it gets too high.
The fan will decrease the chance of fungus greatly, and if it's kept on during most of the day it will also also allow plants to grow faster by maintaining high levels of CO2 in the greenhouse.

3. Grow a mould-resistant, outdoor strain that's been bred for northern Europe. Thai weed is almost the polar opposite of this. Thai's open bud structure helps it resist fungus to some extent, but no other part of the plant is really equipped to deal with Euro weather conditions.
Early Skunk, Early Pearl, Durban, Mexican Sativa, even Early Girl and Jamaican Pearl have good resistance to fungus.

I don't think other plants will increase the chance of fungus much, though they may be hiding places for bugs or errant spores that could re-infect plants after they're cleaned.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 12:41
Thanks Ganja for all your tips and thoughts

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 19:36
Yep, nice posts Ganja, cheers. The Thais are still looking good, touch wood...

weed%20leaf

Date Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:32
Whoops, I think I got two different grow-reports mixed up, thinking that chillumpuffer was growing Thai.

Not trying to undermine/jinx your Thai,  figment!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 August 2008 at 13:33
sorry to hear that chillumpuffer, gutted for you!

It did make me take a closer look at mine though because the weather has been **&^%$£$ crap and it is really starting to p me off - to be polite about it!

I found on the G12 that the damaged leaves mould growing - last year the same variety went the same way as yours.

The others seem ok .....for now but with more wet weather on the way for how long...

you could try getting some auto flowerers and doing a few in the greenhouse....we've gotta get some prolonged sunshine at some stage!!

Date Posted: 14 August 2008 at 14:36
Highasa

I know what you mean about the sun. never in the history of mankind has the UK never had a (bit of) summer, but yes this is the year. Last time i fired up the barbie was 5th June - IN SCOTLAND !!!

Mr Early Girl really has gone this time. Got home yesterday and all the flowers and heads have drooped - even though the soil is damp so i ruled out drought. The smell is most off putting - i have pulled off damp leaves and had it in the loft - by the velux to dry but as Jim Morrison sang " This is the end - beautiful friend"

My partner was more realistic - she said lets move to Spain or fire up a bowl of the blonde leb have had in my tin for a month or so .
high

Date Posted: 14 August 2008 at 16:14
Originally posted by Ganja

Whoops, I think I got two different grow-reports mixed up, thinking that chillumpuffer was growing Thai.

Not trying to undermine/jinx your Thai,  figment!

Not at all, Ganja! I had thought that to be the case, or that you had just meant it "incidentally". Always hungry for knowledge, so any comment appreciated, while obviously not wanting to thread-hijack!

Sorry to hear it continues for you chillumpuffer, the Leb sounds nice indeed! I do long for some nice hash every now and then. Shall have to make my own...

The MET Office point to a sea-change in UK weather around the end of next week, with drier conditions on the way. They have for a couple of weeks now been predicting a prolonged dry spell to start around this time. And as I keep mentioning (say something enough and it becomes the truth!), there is word that we may be in for an Indian Summer! I'll keep praying for it anyway!!

figment. weed%20leaf

Date Posted: 14 August 2008 at 16:39
Me too figment. Even though my Girls gone everyone needs a bit of sun now and again.

Lets hope that we do get an Indian Summer - but having said that it was none too pleasant in Varanasi when I was there one summer !!

Good luck with your Thais man

C

Cool

Date Posted: 15 August 2008 at 01:21

Cheers CP, maybe it was an Indian Summer in the UK that year and they got a British one in exchange?! so%20high

...and good luck to you when you decide to start indoors. weed%20leaf

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 21:55

The way it's going I reckon by indian summer they mean

Moonsoon.......then winter!!!!

Date Posted: 19 August 2008 at 00:17
Well then hopefully Winter will be all done by October so my EPs can get on and START FLOWERING!! (do you think they heard me...?)

Cool

EDIT: Sorry chillumpuffer... Embarrassedweed%20leaf

Date Posted: 19 August 2008 at 10:38
Hi Folks

It was a disaster year that's for sure. I cycled into work today and i got so wet i might as well have showered in my clothes.

Just an update. I cleared the greenhouse and noticed that my Tomatoes had a lot of mould on the lower leaves ( dosen't affect the fruits). I suspect that during the damp humid conditions this had transferred to my buds on my EG. I may be way of the mark but it did look suspiciously like the same mould.

I cannot grow indoors for various reasons and am now more clued up for next year- I mean we can't have 3 years of rainy summers?

Good luck to all outdoor growers in Northern Europe and lets hope that you do get an autumn that bears buds a plenty.

CPloving%20it

Date Posted: 20 August 2008 at 00:51
I used to cycle everywhere in Manchester, which you may know is renowned for its rain, so I know what you're saying. Although you left out the grit and grime that gets right where you don't want it.

Mould- I guess it's quite possible, if the mould bore some kind of airbourne spores or whatever, or I guess it could possibly just transfer by touch? That's something I didn't think about the day I removed the mouldy patches from the Thais, better have a good long ponder over them tomorrow evening... I assume from what you say that it was on live tomato plant leaves so I guess it could equally find a home on other living plants...?

Re: Indoor-I must have got someone elses thread mixed up with yours, sorry CP, didn't realise you couldn't do indoor. Neither can I at the mo, hopefully I can change that soon!!

So as you say, roll on a rocking Autumn. And thanks for the good wishes! weed%20leaf

Date Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:03

figment

Manchester is my home city so I'm used to it. In fact I love the place

Yes live tommy plants - in fact i will be enjoying the fruits for my lunch today.

Can't see no let up in the weather for your Thais man althogh i did spend many a wet day in Thailand. Although most of the Ganja had been grown across in neighbouring Laos or cambodia.

Only once or twice did we actually score Thai (alledgedly)

CP

Date Posted: 21 August 2008 at 00:38

Evening CP, hope you enjoyed your tomatoes.

I also hope I didn't offend you by referring only to Manchester for its rain! I have to say that I very much enjoyed my year there, and was most of the time unfazed by its precipitation. I consider myself to be very English when it comes to the weather, and don't really care if the sun shines or not, at least not traditionally! Although the weather is taking on a lot more significance for me of late... They do keep saying it's going to change, and the prediction is now for this weekend to be the turning point. Fingers crossed... weed%20leaf

Re the Thais. Interesting what you say about scoring real Thai in its country of origin (or not, as the case may be!). My only experience of it is of buying weed which has been described to me as such here in the UK. Most "Thai" that I have smoked has a certain distinct flavour to me, which if I tasted again I would suggest to be the "flavour of Thai weed", but it could mean anything really. On top of that, what colour is green, if you know what I mean?! Plus I'm guessing that the string/thread doesn't mean it's any one particular strain either.

Out of interest CP, do you have any idea why they do the string? Did your Thai in Thailand come in string? And on the subject, is it the case that any weed wrapped in string now gets referred to as Thai somewhere down the food chain, to make it more saleable to people like me?! I can only conclude, in my noobish way, that it is a geographical thing, and that the strains which are grown in that area are of similar/the same lineage, and that the string is a tradition/convention...?

Ganja said early on in my grow thread that he considered true Thai to be, in his opinion, "dictionary definition psychoactive sativa". He didn't say, however, how likely I am to have stumbled accross some real unhybridised seeds, of course! So the question remains, what am I actually growing?!

figment.Cool

Date Posted: 21 August 2008 at 10:42
Hi Figment

Firstly I'm never offended by people's (mis) conception about the weather in Manchester. The way i look at it is that i can go walking in the Pennines and go clubbing,eating,shopping in a vibrant friendly city.

On to Thai - funny you should mention string. My man gave me a bit of green the other day. It had a distinctive taste not too dissimilar from what i have tasted in Thailand. There was a lot of blue cotton in it - to hold the bit together. I am no expert when it comes to what's imported into the UK these days. Gone of the days when it was Colombian or African or from Jamaica. It seems that labels are just that. " Yeah man it's Thai Stick - Yeah man it's a Nepalese Temple Ball !!!"

I assume that Sensi do sell Thai stock and would be very confident that it is. But if i was given a seed and told it was Thai? emmmmm doubtful. As i said most commercial green in Thailand was shipped from Laos and Cambodia with only a smidge from Khon Kaen ( in the North East of Thailand ) where the famous sticks originate from. I mean the first toot i had in the late eighties in Bangkok blew my head off. It was green and i mean green with no seeds and a beautiful tasteweed%20leaf- but on the Islands - especially near the Cambodian border, it was regular brownish biscuits of grass - large heads, loads of seeds. Earthy flavour that when damp made you cough like a bastard. I have seen grass very much like it in the UK but from where it comes on - well only the importer will know that.

The question will always remain that why would anyone risk importing bales of weed from a country with such draconian laws when it comes to drugs.

As far as your final question is concerned. Only you can answer that one Figment. From where did you seed come from?

I am no expert on grass but one thing i am good at is that the Blonde Leb in my bowl is the real deal 

CPjoint

Date Posted: 21 August 2008 at 22:14
Fasinating stuff, CP. Not knowing much about t'internet I'm too scared to go looking for info beyond this forum so it's great to hear from someone who's had experience of Thailand/Thai weed, and a little while back too! (Not too far mind Wink)

You say people's (mis)conceptions regarding the rain in Manc. I do remember some very nice weather, and I loved the place for exactly the same reasons you do, but I'm afraid it was a bit of a dark and cold chapter in my life for other reasons, so I suppose my recollections of the weather up there may be tinted by the grey which inhabited my soul at the time. Melancholy indeed. I'm happy to say life is so very much better since.
:-)

The seeds came from three or four different batches of weed, which came wrapped in string, and tasted of "Thai", in the sense that that is the flavour I was once told was Thai. Interestingly, one of the batches was completely brown, and quite different to smoke to the others, much harsher and coughier, and much less tasty. The others were very sweet, but quite aged, and had of course suffered the effects of being dragged accross the globe. I'd say that the nicer ones did have a good strength, and an effect quite different to that which I would get from the usual commercial; a sativa effect, I guess. They all contained seeds though. None of this proves anything, obviously.

It's not that I'm desperate to believe that my plants are true Thai, it's just that I'd love to have some confirmation of what they are at all; any kind of indication as to lineage would be interesting. I have searched "Thai" to death on here, and need some new knowledge!!

So the Leb's still in your bowl, eh? Have one for me? In the name of original strains, or the quest thereof!

Take it easy buddy.joint

Date Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:39
Good day Figment

I have read your thread re your garden. I hope all goes well with it. I take it your are in southern England? It looks like the sun will come your way soon.

Yes the blonde is magnificent. it was purse defieingly expensive but when growing up in the late 70's and eighties with Lebanese, blond,red & gold it made me weep just to feel the fluffy nature of it again.

Oh just to have again a bowl of Malana Cream from The Kulu Valley in India !!

CP

Cooljoint

Date Posted: 23 August 2008 at 02:35
I hope you enjoyed my thread CP, hopefully it didn't read like a sequence of panic moments and stupid questions!

It makes me smile to hear of all your experience with proper hashes! I guess I'll never really get properly acquainted with the real deal unless I actually go to these places (or the 'dam, maybe, but even then I often don't feel convinced of what I am buying)!

Cheers for the words of encouragent, I will stick some pics on the thread in the next few days at last, so you can see what the "Thai" look like.Wink

I am particularly familiar with purse-defyingly expensive tonight, having just paid through the nose for a bit of strawberry cheese (strawberry??...) which is essentially straight from crop. It is, however, absolutely lush. Best smoke I've seen for an awful long while. It'll be hard not to tear through it while it's wet as there's nothing clean about at all. Sprayed, brixed rubbish everywhere. Greedy, greedy uncaring barstewards. I continue to pray for good weather, and as you say CP, it looks like it might finally be on the way.

figment. Cool

Date Posted: 26 August 2008 at 15:05
Hey Figment

I hope you enjoyed the bank holiday.

How are your Thais??

As I said recently i am not really a ganja man - but please tell me- What is Cheese and secondly Strawberry at that?
Confusedjoint

Date Posted: 10 September 2008 at 18:06
Hello CP, long time no post for me. Bank Holiday was good thank you, as far as I remember...

Cheese: http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4468&PN=1 - http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4468&PN=1 (courtesy of Bartmanuk - I hope you don't mind BM. Was actually looking for anoother thread of finished cheese from either Nemo or Solid, can't remember. Couldn't find it anyway, but it's around.)

I don't know anything about where it originated, but UK Cheese is a strain which has become famous over here as a one that is only available as a cutting. A few years ago someone told me that it was incredibly hard to come by, and that you had to be lucky enough to be considered friend by one of the priviliged few (I think it's alot more prevalent now). I think the same person told me it came about through cross-polination by people surrounding the underground dance music scene in the early 90's. Whether that is true or not I have no idea. My knowledge of strains/original strains or whatever is close to zero at the mo.

It certainly has become alot more prevalent in the last year or so I reckon, suddenly alot of people are talking about it.

It is a lush smoke though. Very pungent, sweet velvety smoke, a real lung-filler (bit of a hash-smokers' one in that respect I reckon). And knock-out stone. I've only had it a few times, and am patiently waiting for the day when I'll have the means to go indoors.

The "Strawberry Cheese" I am not so sure about. It may have been some kind of cross or I may have been bullsh*tted. It was cheesy, but not like I remember. It also didn't look like it was flowered as far as it should have been. It was still lovely though. People of this forum talk about flowering this strain for 80+ days I think! That is a very very long time for a mainly indica/indica plant AFAIK. With my very limited knowledge, I'd say that must go some way towards explaining the strength that the strain can display.

weed%20leaf The Thais are good, still surviving amazingly, despite the weather. I have been pulling buds off probably every three days for the last two weeks, every time I spot the tinyest bit of mould. One still has its top bud, and both still have over 70% of their bud still on the plants. I reckon the weather is looking a little more promising again for another week or so, so I'm still holding out that I can squeeze more out of them. The smoke is already good, and ramping up in strength every new bit I try. Citrusy sweet, very nice. Although I could see myself getting sick of it if it was all I had! Photos- There will be some, one day, I promise. Will stick an update on my thread re: the Early Pearls, and cuttings etc later tonight.

Hope you're keeping well, CP.

See you around,
figment. so%20high

Date Posted: 11 September 2008 at 10:22
Originally posted by figment

I don't know anything about where it originated, but UK Cheese is a strain which has become famous over here as a one that is only available as a cutting.

don't know how accurate this is but I recently found out that Cheese 'GENETICS' originated in the UK, although it is called on here UK Cheese, I'd only seen it for sale by Greenhouse seeds - but apparently they bought the genetics from UK growers.

Glad to hear your thai's are surviving the weather- would love to see a pic and of EP's as my ES are no where near done....October 1st is never going to be a harvest date , more like Nov 1st I reckon!

......where is that Indian summer?!?!?

:)

Print Page | Close Window