Print Page | Close Window

Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) / Hand Watered Coco / CFL

Printed From: Hemp Flax Forum
Category: Sensi Seeds
Forum Name: Indoor Grow Diaries
Forum Discription: For photos of your indoor grow, from germination to harvest!
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11675
Printed Date: 05 December 2019 at 21:55

Topic: Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) / Hand Watered Coco / CFL
Posted By: Grow4Life
Subject: Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) / Hand Watered Coco / CFL
Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 16:40
Hi everyone. Welcome to my first Grow Diary here.

The Grow details:
  • 5x Sensi Skunk # 1 feminised seeds
  • Medium – Canna Coco Pro
  • Feeding method – Hand water to run-off
  • Nutrients & Additives – Canna Coco: A+B, Rhizotonic, PK13/14
  • Grow Tent: 1.2m wide x 0.6m deep x 1.6m tall
  • Extraction: Filtered. In-line fan (up to 145 / 187 m3/per hour)
  • Lighting: Envirolites - 250W CFLs (‘Red’ & ‘Blue’ 100% PAR)
  • Water: Tap – drawn from chalk sources (pH8)
  • Water preparation: aerated for at least 24 hours in containers to aid de-chlorination – pH adjusted both before and after adding nutrients – solution kept aerated until use.
Well, here goes. I put the seeds into germination (using plates and paper towel method) and thought they’d maybe take at least 48 hours to get going. Then I got distracted %3coint

The first mistake of this grow. I failed to keep a watch on the little beggars. When I checked them 48 hours later, they had all not only germinated but also sprouted long taproots. Worse, some had started to take root in the damp tissue %3cngry

Anyway, long story short, I managed to get them sown in their little ‘baby’ coco pots without (hopefully) too much damage to them %3cmile

Now it’s just a question of waiting to see if they develop properly (or at all).

Anyway, I’ll certainly let you know what happens - although, this could be a very short diary.

Grow4Life %3cig%20smile

Ps. Congratulations to Sensi on the vitality of their seeds.

Replies:
Posted By: alecky
Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 17:58
Welcome to the forum Grow4life and good luck with your grow. Is this your first grow or just your first diary at this forum?

-------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"

Posted By: RiffsAndSpliffs
Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 20:07
No need to worry, Grow.

I too use the paper towel method. I've had many a seed that germinated overnight even, to the point where they rooted in the paper towel. I've found that just by adding a little more water to the paper towel, they come off just fine and grow to live very healthy lives.

It's really difficult to determine how long it will take for seeds to germinate. I usually put seeds in the wet paper towel before I go to bed, then check them in the morning.

I've found that germination rate can usually be linked to how old the seeds are. The older the seeds, the longer it takes to germinate (in my experiences). In your case, it seems like you have some very 'fresh' seeds.

Welcome to the forum!

Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 23:37
Originally posted by alecky

Welcome to the forum Grow4life and good luck with your grow. Is this your first grow or just your first diary at this forum?

Thanks alecky %3cool

No, this isn't my first grow, just my first on this forum. I started growing a few years ago with a very d-i-y growdrobe. I was so impressed with results that I've been adding knowledge and equipment ever since - but always on a tight budget though.
Originally I was a mud-lark' using compost, then was persauded to try coco - now I'd never go back. So, I have some experience, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my grows.

Grow4Life %3cig%3c

Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 23:46
Originally posted by RiffsAndSpliffs

No need to worry, Grow.

...where they rooted in the paper towel. I've found that just by adding a little more water to the paper towel, they come off just fine and grow to live very healthy lives.

It's really difficult to determine how long it will take for seeds to germinate. I usually put seeds in the wet paper towel before I go to bed, then check them in the morning.

...In your case, it seems like you have some very 'fresh' seeds.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and advice RiffsAndSpliffs. I usually check them more often by using a series of reminders on my phone but... ...well, I kind of got ambushed by some really wicked weed a friend gave me to try. Basically, got stoned %3co%20high%3cmile

Grow4Life %3cig%3c

Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 23:50
A quick update on the 'babies'; three of them have already shoved their heads up through the coco %3chumbs%20Up so it's looking good.

Grow4Life %3cig%3c

Posted By: sarah louise
Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 05:15
Welcome to the forum Grow4Life :D

-------------
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...

Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 22:04
Originally posted by sarah louise

Welcome to the forum Grow4Life :D

Thanks very much sarah louise - it's a pleasure to be here %3cig%20smile

Grow4Life %3cig%3c

Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 22:45
UPDATE:

So its just over 3 days since the seeds were put into damp tissues and, so far, it's looking like all 5 seeds are now seedlings. Am quite relieved. They seem to have survived the transfer to pots ok - although the last one to appear out of the coco (the rightmost one in the front of the pic) doesn't seem as vigorous as the others. Not to worry though %3cmile

Here's a couple of random close-ups:

Don't worry, I'm not going to fill this thread with 'baby pics' %3cmile - I'm just happy they all seem to be fine (early days yet of course).

They are now installed in their grow tent, under a single 6400k CFL (placed very high above them). I am monitoring temps, humidity etc. They receive a light misting occasionally, with pH6-7 water containing a smallish dose of Rhizotonic (the coco was prepared with the same solution).

That's all there is for now. Will post updates as things happen.

-------------
My current Grow Diary: http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11675 - Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) Hand Watered Coco - CFL

Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 22:49
Oops top pic appears to be clipped on the right. I'll try to get it right next time %3cmbarrass%3cd

-------------
My current Grow Diary: http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11675 - Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) Hand Watered Coco - CFL

Posted By: sicklehand
Date Posted: 28 February 2013 at 16:41
hey grow4, welcome to the forum and good luck with your grow.
i dont care what anybody says skunk#1 is a fantastic strain, i like to grow it every now & then just to remind myself of how breeding should be done. theres a short stocky heavy yielding pheno in the sensi fem sk#1.
that i really loved, ive just grown shiva skunk which is a dam nice smoke skunky but with a more heavy indica side from the nl#5 ill be growing it again soon.

Date Posted: 01 March 2013 at 12:15
Thanks sicklehand, have had a look, and Shiva Skunk is certainly going on to my list for the future %3cink

Date Posted: 01 March 2013 at 23:54
Update: Day 5 (since starting germination).

The first true leaves have emerged on all but one of the seedlings, so far.

Temperatures in the grow area vary from 20°C, during the 6 hours of darkness, to 25°C during their day. As the medium had dried out a bit by today, I gently re-damped the coco with the Rhizo solution.

Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 18:40
Really looking forward to seeing how your plants are doing, as I just ordered a 10-pack of Regular Skunk #1 seeds.

So far so good, I'd say! Yours seem to be loving the coco mix.

I too have heard good things about the Shiva Skunk cultivar through Ganja, though he sadly isn't active on the forums anymore.

Posted By: 1966
Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 21:31
Lookin good so far Grow4.
I have read through your diary so far and as you are not a new grower i was just wandering how high above the seedlings you have your lights.

I have only grown from seed on two grows and the rest of the time its been from clones but i always now get my CFL's as close as poss with far better results than when i first started.
Good luck with the rest of the grow i will be reading with interest how you get on.
All the best and have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 22:57
Originally posted by 1966

Lookin good so far Grow4.
... was just wandering how high above the seedlings you have your lights.

Hi 1966, I just sent you a PM.

I don't like to blast them too early (more because of heat than anything) - even with CFLs. They are only 4- 5 days since emerging from the medium, and the runt (bottom right in the above group picture) has only just put out its first 'true' leaves.
As it happens, I have just lowered the light (just one 200W at the mo) from approx 80cms to about 30cms above the tallest seedling - with extraction at max. I'm a cautious grower, and I don't want to 'cook' them. **This proved to be a mistake, should have been 50cms - see later update**
Should add that the tent is in a room that has hot water pipes running under the floor - that I cannot control - and ambient temps can be quite warm anyway.

I think there is little to be gained by throwing more light energy at them than they can actually use (with such small leaves) at this stage - although I'm keen to prevent stretch right from the start. Clones on the other hand have the advantage of more leaf area so can use the light right from the start.

I'm going to have a go at cloning from these when their they're bigger. Seedlings make me nervous - such fragile little beggars %3c3c3cmile

Hope that helps. Although I have some experience, I don't claim to be an expert on anything - but if I can help a fellow grower along the way, I'm more than happy to give it a go.

I will be posting update and new pics tomorrow hopefully  - real-life permitting %3c3c3cink

e2a

Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 23:21

Really looking forward to seeing how your plants are doing, as I just ordered a 10-pack of Regular Skunk #1 seeds.

So far so good, I'd say! Yours seem to be loving the coco mix.

Thanks Riffs. As I say, I hope to post update with pics tomorrow (Tues) evening. I'd like to fully document the grow for the benfit of others - but don't want to over-do it with the 'baby' snaps %3cink

My experience (for what its worth) is that though 'mary-jane' does love being in coco, I do have to be careful in the root formation stages not to overwater. Best bit about coco for me is that when the root-zone has developed, you literally cannot over-water them - then you can run them (like hydro) with run-off.

I'd be interested to see how your skunk #1 regulars go, I only use feminised seeds to maximise space efficiency. Have heard it said that regulars get better pheno consistency -- but I'm straying out of my 'comfort zone' with that one %3cig%20smile

Date Posted: 05 March 2013 at 01:45
That's exactly why I'm going with the Regulars, just looking for a little variation in the phenotypes. It's also a good way to find a good mother plant.Everything from seed always grows faster too, it's going to be nice not having a crop of clones to take root for a month for once! I did get a hermie from a feminized seed pack, though it wasn't from Sensi. I'd rather grow regular seeds from here out.

I put a coco layer on top of my dirt in flower to act as a mulch. I water religiously every other day a gallon in each pot, but you can judge if they need to be watered because the coco usually turns a light tan color when it's dried out. You can even scrape a tiny amount away to see how far down it goes, though I wouldn't recommend doing that with seedlings.

Date Posted: 08 March 2013 at 01:22
Sorry, this update was delayed - life got a bit hectic this week - but managed to get a few pictures of them today.

Today (7-Mar-2013) is roughly 4 days since they all got their first true leaves. The seedlings seem to be doing fine - except for the 'runt' of the litter %3cmile
All they've had since last time is a very light occasional watering with nutrients added according to the schedule produced on the Canna website:
  • Coco A+B - 1.5ml per litre
  • Rhizotonic - 4ml per litre
They are allowed to get fairly dry between waterings at the moment.

I had a look underneath the pots today and there are tiny roots beginning to emerge from the drainage holes of all of them - except for, naturally, the runt.

Temperatures are stable at 20-25°C

Incidentally, a couple of days ago we hit a fairly mild weather-spell, and temperatures went up. I had to move the lamp a bit further away - approx 50cm - from the leaf tips for fear that they would be cooked. Since which, temperatures have been fine.

Anyways, it's time for some photos.
First, one of the four healthy seedlings in close-up:

And, now, the poor litle 'runt':

And, finally, a group shot:

Anyway that's it for now.

Any questions, suggestions, comments welcome.

Date Posted: 14 March 2013 at 22:11
Hi everyone.

Today (14-Mar-2013) is roughly 11 days since they began vegging. They are all coming along, except for the one you already know about. They are still only getting light waterings of the nutrient solution for now.

This picture is actually from two days ago, and is not a brilliant snap - they were not as pale green as they may look in this photo:

Anyway I think they'll be repotted soon. Below are some photos (taken about an hour ago) of the root-zones on two of the plants. First up is the strongest growing of the Skunks:

...and, for comparison, the weakest plant of the set:

Well, that's about it for now %3c3cig%3c3c

-------------

Posted By: alecky
Date Posted: 14 March 2013 at 23:23
Looking good man, the little one should catch up shortly, as it's smaller than the others it won't need watering as often, it will probably need an extra day or two to dry out a bit. In the previous pics the leaves are quiet droopy and in this one, yellow tips on the leaves, both signs of over watering.

-------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"

Date Posted: 14 March 2013 at 23:56
Thanks for dropping by alecky - and thanks for the help. I agree. I noticed how damp it was when I was checking the roots. I'll be sure to let the coco dry-out a bit. %3chumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 15 March 2013 at 00:04
I agree - they look nice! Can't wait to see the different phenotypes. Hurry up little guys (or girls!) %3cool

Date Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:21
A Quick Update:

Yesterday (17-Mar-2013) - Day 20 of root development / vegging - I re-checked the roots and determined it was time to repot the 4 most advanced young plants. No other changes to note at this time. The small one (not pictured here) is still recovering from early root damage - and will also be repotted when ready.

Just one photo for the album today:

%3cig%3c

Date Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:26

I agree - they look nice! Can't wait to see the different phenotypes. Hurry up little guys (or girls!) %3c3cool

Thanks, Riffs. I have told them to get on with it - but they just sit there and look at me like I'm some kind of obsessive stoner. They may be right. %3cig%20smile

Date Posted: 20 March 2013 at 21:48
I'm right behind you! I just got my seeds two days ago, and I've just put them in the paper towels. I just posted that thread as well.

I can't wait to see your updates as they come, and compare your Skunk #1 phenotypes to mine. %3cool

Date Posted: 23 March 2013 at 04:56
Nice and healthy looking seedlings you have there Grow4Life. Things should start moving fairly quickly now they have a few leaves. :)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:25
Hi. First, sorry about the delay in updating this diary. My life turned upside down for a few weeks there *sigh* (financial and all sorts of worries that I'm not going to bore you with here).

The plants are still in veg. They have suffered a bit during this period because of my distractions - mainly through missed feedings, over feeding etc. My bad.

Full update with pics to follow shortly...

Date Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:42
Today (02-Apr-2013) - Day 30 of vegging - now under 2x 250W 'blue' CFLs (and have been for about a week now).

Well, as I say, I haven't been looking after them too well of late. There have been some issues with high-temperatures (around 30C at times) and 'inappropriate' watering.

However, although some of the lower leaves don't look that great, the upper canopy leaves are developing well. The plants have also rooted-out well, and I'm going to repot them again soon - they are now on a water-to-waste regime (they are still allowed to dry somewhat between waterings, though not too much).

A couple of days ago the plants (all but the small one - number 3 in photos) all got topped. The small one is progressing but will never catch-up with the others.

I don't intend letting these get very tall, before putting them into flower - the grow tent has limited headroom and all plants tend to stretch more under CFLs.

I intend taking some of the side-shoots to set as clones later, when they're big enough. Have only cloned once before (with Clonex) and was impressed, so I'm going to have another go to see what happens and gain experience.

Photos next>>

Date Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:57
Here are some photos from today - the numbers refer to each individual plant. If you want to talk about, or request a photo of, a particular plant just use the number to identify which one you mean.

That's all for now %3c3cig%3c3c

Posted By: blackmore
Date Posted: 03 April 2013 at 11:09
you have a calmag deficiency. (yellowing between the veins)  add some in your feed.

I dont see any mention of a TDS or EC meter. If youre not using, id recommend you get them as soon as possible.

Date Posted: 07 April 2013 at 22:52
Hi everyone. I think that the issue here was a lock-out rather than a deficiency (due to my inattentiveness with watering/feeding during something of a personal crisis). My water (taken from chalk underground sources) contains over 110mg/litre of Calcium. I normally solve any Mg defficiency with a leaf-spray or two of Epsom solution.
The truth is, the Coco was allowed to dry out quite a bit - a mortal sin - and they suffered as a result.
I've put them on their proper feeding regime, and I'm glad to say that recovery has been fast, with plenty of new, healthy, growth.
I would love to have a quality TDS or EC meter, but can't afford one. I will get one one day - but for now I'll just have to pay more attention to what the plants' are telling me.

Date Posted: 07 April 2013 at 23:11
Here's some photos from today. Since being topped (all except for N0.3) the plants' have been kicking-out their side-shoots. Leaf texture and colour are much better now. Also can see 'air-roots' poking out from the Coco. Re-pot coming soon.

I think I keep No.3 around just because the way it's growing amuses me.

Another update soon...

Date Posted: 08 April 2013 at 14:31
your water at 110mg/L is a bit too hard. While its not unhealthy, you might need to flush your coco more frequently to avoid buildup. Too much Mg/CaCO3 will create a pH buffer which will be too alkaline for your plants. Keep an eye on your pH.

Date Posted: 14 April 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by blackmore

your water at 110mg/L is a bit too hard. While its not unhealthy, you might need to flush your coco more frequently to avoid buildup. Too much Mg/CaCO3 will create a pH buffer which will be too alkaline for your plants. Keep an eye on your pH.

Thanks for the good advice, blackmore. Am keeping pH control very tight now.

Date Posted: 28 April 2013 at 18:00
UPDATE: Since the last update, the plants have been repotted and put into flower. I flipped the lights to 12/12 on the 17th April (Day 45 of veg).

The girls - for such they are (declared within 7 days) - have also had some pruning done. I don't think there is any point in allowing low side-shoots, that won't get enough light, to use resources best reserved for the tops. By the way - sorry if I didn't mention it before - the tallest one got topped twice.

There appear to be two distinct types of Skunk#1 in the grow; two plants are quite tall, with longer internodal gaps, and two plants that are more compact. From memory, I think the shorter one's tend to finish a bit quicker than the taller ones, but I got more yield from the tall ones last time. I don't know anything about phenotypes so I can't say more than that.

I'm still sticking to the Canna personalised grow guide, and the plants are loving it. Incidentally, the root formation in the Coco is, as usual, phenominal.

Anyway, here are a couple of Flowering Day-11 photos: -

Date Posted: 08 May 2013 at 01:20
Notes / Photos Update:

These pictures were taken on 7th May, 2013 - Day 20 of Flowering (73 days since seed - including 45 days veg).

The flowering response has been quick and strong, with no apparent problems. You can see the difference between the two (on the left in the group photo) tall bushy types, and the shorter (presumably more indica dominant) types (on the right).

The little messed-up 5th plant is just out of shot, and is likely to be replaced by two (practice) clones later, that I took from the trimmings from the best tall bushy skunk #1 (they are currently vegging in another grow area).

From my experience of the last time I grew these Sensi Skunk #1 fems, I think the tall bushy types produce a higher yield than the short ones.

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 01:13
Hi all %3cig%3c
Have been lax with this, sorry.

There have been no problems at all since the last update. The plants continue to thrive on the Cana A+B and Rhizo, and have ceased lengthening altogether. Am desperate to get some PK into them, but can't afford it at the mo.

I took some photos of the plants on Sunday 26th May - Day 39 of Flowering, but am having trouble uploading %3cngry

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 01:24
Why am I being told (by the site) that my .jpg images are not .jpg images - even though they were produced in exactly the same way as all the other .jpg images in this thread!?

Oh, well. Will try again later.

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:45
looking good!

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 00:56

Those photos I took on Sunday...

Here's the group shot. (e2a: the coloured ties at the top of the left plant are pipe cleaners I put there to pull the 4-stems in a bit nearer the light).

This is a bud forming on one of the taller girls.

And another one.

This is one of the buds, forming on one of the two shorter Skunk #1s.

And another one.

Peace dudes %3coving%20it

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 00:58
Figured out the problem with the images was dpi - my bad.

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 01:01

Originally posted by blackmore

looking good!

Thanks %3cmbarrass%3cd

First flowering phase has been excellent (considering lighting limitations), and they stink %3cmile Good job my carbon-filter is working well.

Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 05:39
They do look nice :D

-------------

Date Posted: 23 June 2013 at 18:14
Thanks Sarah.
Sorry about being late with this, but the Skunk #1 ladies all got the chop on the 18th June. If my arithmatic serves me right, that was the 61st day of flowering.
Anyway things got a bit hectic after that, then when the bud had dried a bit (had to dry it in a carbon-filtered cupboard because of the rich stench of it) I sampled some - and lost a few days %3cig%3c

The yield results were for me - bearing in mind my lighting is only CFL 400w Output (allbeit in 100% PAR) - very acceptable. The two tall types gave 50 bone-dry grammes; the two more compact shorter types gave 34 bone-dry grammes. So a total of 84 grammes. %3coving%20it

Not happy that I couldn't give them the PK13/14 when they needed it though.

As the bud is conditioning, it is getting a sweeter smell. The smoke itself is pure Skunk. It zombified me.

This grow is not technically over though. During the grow I practiced my cloning, and as a result there are now two clones (of the tallest one) now in their third week in the flower room. I shall continue to update this thread concerning these two.

In a minute, or two, I shall post some pics of a small portion of the dried Sensi Skunk #1 %3cmoking

Date Posted: 23 June 2013 at 18:19

%3cig%3c I'm having a lovely Sunday.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 June 2013 at 18:22

My favourite.

Posted By: Solidopc
Date Posted: 24 June 2013 at 15:44
You're living the dream dude! Coco rocks! Buds look awesome. Makes me nostalgic, especially the pics about week 4-5. Love it when they start pumping out those flowers. One day, i'll be back, that's a certainty. Enjoy your smoke, looks great. Whats the aroma like?

-------------
Green-Thumb Growing

Date Posted: 24 June 2013 at 17:35
Thanks Solidopc. I would really miss growing - hopefully, you will be able to get back to it sooner rather than later.

The aroma?
I'm afraid I'm not very good at describing aromas but here goes:
This Sensi Skunk#1 (feminised) smells kind of like an old gardener's potting shed; earthy, with a hint of cat-piss, mixed with sweet citrusy fruit flavours.
For me it has an "old school" skunk smell, that hippies (& ageing cops) would instantly recognise. And it carries. I wouldn't smoke this in the back garden if you are next to a road or public path - especially if the 'babylon' are doing foot-patrols in your area.
%3co%20high

Posted By: Solidopc
Date Posted: 24 June 2013 at 17:55
I love the smell of NL5/Haze, the right pheno is the definition of what weed should smell like. really deep, weedy smell. Can't think of another word like earthy, lemony etc to describe, just pure weedy. Used to be quite abit of it back in the late 90s early 2000's. Seems to have gone out of fashion now, i cant see why. People chase after these exotically named crosses, that if the truth be told, are just mixes of stuff like NL5/haze, S#1, afghani, kush, haze. Just get given a fancy nickname. Best strains are the ones that have been about for decades and are used to make these crosses.

Skunk Kush is cracking, a real dank number. Or pot of gold is exactly same cross. Out the 2, i had the better pheno from pot of gold, a real keeper. Though skunk kush was near enough identical in growth, just got lucky with the pot of golds.

What you planning on running next time? I got a load of seeds i can't use because of circumstances. I'll send some to you if you like dude. Would love to see them in action. Never got to run them myself.

-------------
Green-Thumb Growing

Date Posted: 07 August 2013 at 17:54
Sorry for not posting in a while. Things went a bit wrong here. The landlord found out about my 'hobby' %3cnhappy
Alright though, no cops involved, I've just had to knock it on the head until I can get somewhere else.

Smoking my harvest from the Skunk#1 clones has helped cushion the blow though %3cig%3c

Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 14:49
Ah well, when we live in other people's houses we have to make some sacrifices.

How is the skunk#1 smoking up?

-------------

Posted By: 1966
Date Posted: 08 August 2013 at 17:50
Sorry to hear about landlord troubles same thing happened to a mate of mine now hes in his own place and growing away merrily.
Enjoy that smoke and have a good day

-------------
Live and let live

Print Page | Close Window