Print Page | Close Window

Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.

Printed From: Hemp Flax Forum
Category: Sensi Seeds
Forum Name: Indoor Grow Diaries
Forum Discription: For photos of your indoor grow, from germination to harvest!
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10712
Printed Date: 14 October 2019 at 22:42

Topic: Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.
Posted By: sarah louise
Subject: Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.
Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 13:32
About time I put a bit of a journal together... the old brain has trouble remembering from one day to the next.

I had grand plans for Sensi's Jack Flash#5 and the Flying Dutchmen's Nepal Kush... lol root tip on the kush rotted in the coco and the JF that cracked has barely grown in the last 3 weeks...

So I had a search through the seed stash and found a couple of other things to play with...

4 Power Kush fems (older freebies)

1 Skunk cross (from accidental pollination at the outdoor plot, was testing germination and dropped one in a pot to test the growth against the JF... it's growing fine so it's staying until it does anything funky)

5 or 6 afghani f2's... the mother (Eloise) I kept for a couple of seasons as clones... thought I'd see what comes out of the few seed I have saved... miss the sweet and creamy hash taste of my old Ellie.

It would be nice to get at least one male out of the affies, but I wont cry if it turns out to be an all fem grow.

Currently the seedlings are sitting in a heated propagating box (lid off) under 2x20w t4 mini fluoros in my clone cupboard (with small fan). Temp in the cupboard is 21C and the rh sits on 60%.

That's about it for now... yeah the bigger one (rear right) is the skunkX and the one rear most, to the left is the JF... still sitting there but not doing much, cotyledons beginning to yellow.

Now they just have to hurry up and grow. %3c3c3cool

-------------
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...

Replies:
Posted By: coverking
Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 15:25
nice ill be watching sarah

-------------
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!

Posted By: organicgrow
Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 16:56
good luck sarah, I wish you a bountiful harvest :)
I'm not sure what it is I'm seeing, but is the shell still remaining the on the JF seedling?

Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:20
Thanks CK and OG, hope it turns out to be worth watching... and no that's not a shell, lol, it's an end on view of a yellowing cotyledon.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:25
im sure things will be booming in a week or two

-------------

Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:27
nice propagator by the way

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 05:14
Ta CK, bought it at the beginning of last summer so I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. Surely does the job of keeping them warm and a sheet of wet capillary mat in the bottom of the tray keeps the humidity perfect.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 11:53
Originally posted by sarah louise

Thanks CK and OG, hope it turns out to be worth watching... and no that's not a shell, lol, it's an end on view of a yellowing cotyledon.

lol you must forgive my boldness; it did kind of look like a shell from this angle. %3cmbarrass%3cd

Well at least it's still alive. And I hope it will start growing soon. I was considering JF for my next purchase. So I'm interested to watch how one performs.

One question: do you fertilize your seedling medium? or do you keep it relatively inert? And why? As I'm sure you know there's some disagreement on that matter. I'm trying to gather as much learned opinions as I can to improve my technique.

Cheers

OG

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 13:11
No worries Og, I thought it was a bit funny.

I wouldn't judge Jack Flash#5 from this seedling. Considering I have had a problem with seed from two different strains, I think the problem is more likely environmental than anything to do with the seeds.

In the past I have had some trouble getting seed away during winter (damping off) but I thought the new propagator would help... if any more crap out, I'll go get a systemic fungicide and treat from the beginning.

The medium is coco and perlite and before the seed goes in, the medium has been treated with a low strength fertiliser (ec 0.4) and liquid rooting hormone. I water with the same strength nutrient solution (ec 0.4, pH 5.8) until the second or third set of true leaves emerge and then increase the strength slowly.

-------------

Posted By: Hash Driveway
Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 22:07
I see your bad luck has started even before I've wished you good luck. Good luck! and I hope you can get the JF#5 going for a comparison.

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 01:18
hey sarah

Thanks for the info. That's about the same technique I employ . The only difference being in that I germinate in peat moss ; then I move to coco at first re-pot. Peat moss has been the least troublesome germination medium for me.

I agree; top quality seeds like these rarely produce weak seedlings if the conditions are right. Therefore, my bet would be on environmental factors as well; but IMHO the imbalanced fungal activity is not the cause of the problem but the effect of an underlying one.

So, in the spirit of brainstorming, here's a couple of thoughts for you to consider, if you haven't already.

IMHO either the capillary matting or the heated propagator, or both may have been working against you:

The heated propagator may have overly increased root zone temperature and that is believed to increase activity for some types of harmful root zone fungi and also inhibit some of the beneficials.

The wet capillary matting may have kept a medium of already high retention and capillarity overly moist and therefore, rendered the water in the medium somewhat stagnant; especially where there had been relatively low atmospheric demand (21C, 60%, small fan) and when the root system and foliage were not sufficiently extensive for pot size.

Or I'm just too high and ranting again %3c3c3cig%3c3c3c

Posted By: Melvan
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 18:25
That's funny OG, I was just going to put it simply as too wet and too warm, lol.

I've got some Afghani F2s I made a few years back, maybe I should pop a few here and grow along with you Sarah, lol. Green mojo to your grow.

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 21:32
Originally posted by Melvan

That's funny OG, I was just going to put it simply as too wet and too warm, lol.

Haha, I'm sure that would've been enough for sarah to see your point.

However, being the new guy, I do not yet feel confident enough in my credibility to be that concise; especially with senior members.  So I tried to make my case the best I could %3cig%20smile

Cheers

Posted By: assinomen
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 22:31
Originally posted by organicgrow

lol you must forgive my boldness; it did kind of look like a shell from this angle. %3cmbarrass%3cd

Well at least it's still alive. And I hope it will start growing soon. I was considering JF for my next purchase. So I'm interested to watch how one performs.

One question: do you fertilize your seedling medium? or do you keep it relatively inert? And why? As I'm sure you know there's some disagreement on that matter. I'm trying to gather as much learned opinions as I can to improve my technique.

Cheers

OG

hi organic i used jiffy plugs,this time 100% success rate only that i was lazy and put the seeds in at random,rather than the flat bit at the bottom.like you know the seed opens like a sea clam so usualy i never germinate on tissue ,i just put the seed in the medium.usualy they are big enough to see which way round to put them,but these last were tiny and my eyesight is not as good.(jiffy plugs are organic and soak and they swell).your familiar with how the tap root comes out up first then around and down .the stalk pulls out the embryonic leaves,and the soil helps by gripping the seed.then it pops out the jiffy plug(they have some nutrients in,plenty to start the seed,no additive,s necessary)then when the tap show at the bottom of the jiffy,transplant to medium of choice(i always prior used rockwool,with good results,but with the jiffs i need not feed.
because some of my seeds were wrongly posistioned,i had to use magnifying glass and tweezers to remove seed shell.and reposistion the naked white embryos.they all lived.. .but have a try with a jiffy plug or two about 10/15 pence (uk) each..i keep the temp down and humid low and never had any fungal problems,may take them a little longer to germinate.but what you said about the fungii,now makes sense.its good to have a clear explanation(sort of boffin like,no offense!)i like the scientific explanations..

-------------
T is for truth,for truth is strange,stranger than fiction..lord byron

Posted By: Jug Head
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 22:57
Good luck Sara! I know what you mean about forgetting stuff!

Jugs

-------------
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson -

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 07:44

... here's a couple of thoughts for you to consider, if you haven't already.

I had considered these points prior to using the propagator and took steps to prevent them from becoming problems.

The heated propagator may have overly increased root zone temperature and that is believed to increase activity for some types of harmful root zone fungi and also inhibit some of the beneficials.

If the prop box was sitting on a solid surface it is conceivable that the bottom of the box could overheat as the box doesn't have a thermostat. This is why my prop box is raised off the bench, most of the underside of the box is exposed to the air and the fan directs a stream of air under (as well as over) the box.

To keep a check of temperatures I have a bulb thermometer measuring the temperature of the bottom of the box and another measuring the air temperature in the seedling zone. The two temperatures remain within 1-2C of each other.

There is no overheating. The seedlings and their grow medium are at ideal temperatures (21-23C)

The wet capillary matting may have kept a medium of already high retention and capillarity overly moist and therefore, rendered the water in the medium somewhat stagnant;

The pots are not in contact with the capillary matting... now that would be a real noob mistake.  The seedlings are in pots that sit in tray on top of the matting, there is about 5mm between the matting and the medium. The purpose of the capillary mat is to diffuse the heat evenly across the bottom of the box and raise the humidity.

Raising the humidity is important because the room housing the grow also houses a lot of books and other paper stuff that suck the moisture from the air.

the root system and foliage were not sufficiently extensive for pot size.

lol How small do you want me to go? The pots only hold around 100ml of medium as it is.

I'll get some pictures to illustrate later.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 09:20
illustrations...

Air space under the box prevents overheating.

The plants are not in direct contact with the capillary mat but the bulb of the thermometer is in order to measure the temperature beneath the seedling trays.

okay, moist would have been a better description of the mat... the mat is wet but there isn't any water sloshing about.

Air temperature and humidity measured inside the seedling tray

The pots are about as small as I can buy without resorting to a punnet.

Might not be a lot on top... but the little pot is full of roots at 2 and a half weeks.

Excuse the blurry shots, would have retaken a couple of them but the dodgy camera is playing up.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:43

The pots are not in contact with the capillary matting... now that would be a real noob mistake.  The seedlings are in pots that sit in tray on top of the matting, there is about 5mm between the matting and the medium. The purpose of the capillary mat is to diffuse the heat evenly across the bottom of the box and raise the humidity.

Raising the humidity is important because the room housing the grow also houses a lot of books and other paper stuff that suck the moisture from the air. 

I assumed that the capillary matting was there for water delivery to the pots. They are sometimes used like that AFAIK. My case was based on that assumption.

How dry will it get in there without that mat?

lol How small do you want me to go? The pots only hold around 100ml of medium as it is. 

The pot size is of course perfectly fine. They did look a bit larger in the first pic and my assumption on water delivery was wrong.

So what am I missing then? There is perfect temperature/humidity assuming the measuring instruments are accurate; the medium is well aerated; there is good root formation; I assume lighting is not excessive; ventilation is fine; I assume the medium is clean; pH and EC are fine...why does the larger seedling look a bit limp in both pictures? It looks fine but it should be thriving in that environment. %3confused

BTW What type of systemic fungicide do you have in mind?

Posted By: SuperDuper
Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:05
4 mee she saing give mee more root space m8%3cug i see on this picture that color of roots is a bit yellow shold bee white meaby u check the root system to meany times end the roost pruning transplant to 1L pot

Posted By: breizh ganja
Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:50
hi sarah! hope all is well ! and the tobacco ? ;)
im agree with superduper, isn't you? THE BEST FROM HERE i will try maybe a guerilla outdoor this year;but not sure.
in my new area there lots of fields with .....some weed plants... then i haven't no regret to move here ! ( i hate the robbers and im not !)
cheers ! and as usual best green vibe from the atlantic coast !

-------------
Rémi Gaillard...take a look !

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:58

So what am I missing then?

Most likely nothing. I lost one seedling, the Nepalese Kush, to damping off. I knew when the seedling began looking like this picture.

That's 'stem pinch'. I excavated the seedling to check the root and found it rotting. This is the usual scenario with 'damping off'.  I also have one seedling that doesn't appear to be growing... this is usually a root problem but I haven't looked yet as I wanted to give the seedling as long as possible to come to grips with growing.

I only have problems during the winter so the specific fungi involved are those that like the cold rather than those that like the warmth. It's not just weed either, I've lost lettuce and spinach seedlings to damping off during previous winters.  This year it's only two seedlings, none of the later planted seedlings are showing any signs.

There is perfect temperature/humidity assuming the measuring instruments are accurate; the medium is well aerated; there is good root formation; I assume lighting is not excessive; ventilation is fine; I assume the medium is clean; pH and EC are fine...

All safe assumptions. When the first seedlings were planted I had mixed new medium, the skunkX (larger seedling) was also planted in this mix. Before planting the later seedlings I dumped the coco mix out into a garden bed, cleaned everything and made a new mix up... just in case it was in the medium.

My pots get soaked in chlorine bleach after use and are stored clean inside the house. Before use, I spray them with isopropyl alcohol and wipe them dry with clean paper towel.

It isn't sterile, of course, but it's as close to get to asepsis as I can get.

why does the larger seedling look a bit limp in both pictures? It looks fine but it should be thriving in that environment. %3c3confused

The first seedlings were under a cfl lamp with a slightly different spectrum, but once the second lot of seedlings  began to emerge there wasn't enough light. If you look back at the seedling picture you might see that a couple of them have stretched a bit... these were the first seedlings to emerge that were too far away from the light.

The larger seedling haslooked a bit droopy since the change, it is ready to pot up, so I will move it back to 5500K and see if that perks it up a bit.

BTW What type of systemic fungicide do you have in mind?
I was only thinking of a fungicide if the damping off continued. If it did, then I would be looking for something to pretreat the coco mixture as I don't want to be spraying small seedlings.

Anyway, it all looks okay for the moment. One pot has no seed... and one pot had two (doh). The smaller of the 2 seedlings was dumped and there is one seedling slow to emerge... it was coming through root first and needed repositioning... maybe it will work and maybe it wont. Even without it I have enough plants.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:20
Originally posted by Melvan

I've got some Afghani F2s I made a few years back, maybe I should pop a few here and grow along with you Sarah, lol. Green mojo to your grow.

Yeah, why not? Mine don't have a Sensi pedigree but I'm still keen to see if I come up with anything similar to the one I pollinated.
Thanks for the extra green mojo, it comes in handy during the winter...

Originally posted by SuperDuper

4 mee she saing give mee more root space m8%3c3cug i see on this picture that color of roots is a bit yellow shold bee white meaby u check the root system to meany times end the roost pruning transplant to 1L pot

Yes it needs potting up, has only been checked twice... there is a bit of staining from seaweed extract. It is a blurry pic, I can understand you seeing them as yellow.

Originally posted by breizh ganja

hi sarah! hope all is well ! and the tobacco ? ;)
im agree with superduper, isn't you? THE BEST FROM HERE i will try maybe a guerilla outdoor this year;but not sure.
in my new area there lots of fields with .....some weed plants... then i haven't no regret to move here ! ( i hate the robbers and im not !)
cheers ! and as usual best green vibe from the atlantic coast !

Hi BG, how are you? Yes I agree the seedling needs potting up!

I don't smoke tobacco on it's own anymore, but sometimes I will get some to mix in a joint (sometimes the weed is too strong). I buy one packet of 20 per month. I'm using a pipe more so I can smoke straight weed, but I do like a joint.

I didn't know that you had moved. I hope it has been a move for the better. How's you health holding up old friend?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:36
Well the picture breaks my heart. It used to be such a healthy seedling before it fell victim to damp-off; I hate when that happens %3cnhappy

I think Phosphorous Acid based systemics should be effective as root-drench fungicides.

This may be worth looking into as well: It is thought that a foliar application, or a root drench with an Aspirin solution (Salicylic Acid) can help elicit a SAR response. (Systemic Acquired Resistance) Apparently there are some trade-offs involved but the defensive response is believed to be effective against a range of problems including fungi.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:52
Interesting, I know an older Italian veggie gardener who waters in her tomato plants with an Aspirin solution.

edit... had a bit of a read SAR and endogenous salycylic (SA)... but can't find anything that links adding salycylic acid to the soil with a rise in endogenous SA (which is related to SAR and Pathogenesis-related proteins).

I'll read further though...

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 16:28
Check these two abstracts out:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k2182003n348814q/
https://www.sciencemag.org/content/250/4983/1002.abstract

One states that seed treatment and soil drench of ASA will lead to increased stress tolerance; although fungus resistance is not mentioned but I think it's the same mechanism.

The other states that exogenous SA will in fact induce PR genes and resistance.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 18:01
Thanks, I'll check when I have time.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 June 2012 at 00:06
hello sarah
i am sure you know about the additive free tobacco,indian spirit/cigs and rolling tobbaco.
just saying that drum have now brought out an additive free tobbacco at same prices as "normal tobbaco"so it seems maybe the companys are aware we are aware.
ifound out they put ammonia in cigarettes to "freebase the nicotine" so the user gets a quicker nicotine rush.
smoking tobbaco is never going to be healthy but i think its better without all the chemicals.
hope your grow go,s well,im sure it will.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 June 2012 at 11:27
Hi Assinomen, yes I have heard about additive free and even organically grown tobacco... thing is, I would rather be smoking no tobacco at all.

There is a herbal blend (nicotine free) called Farmer's Honey Rose. It is nice to roll joints with but I have trouble buying it locally which is why I still use tobacco occasionally.

I've potted up the SkunkX into 500ml and sat it under 96W of 5500K CFL.... still looks a bit droopy.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 June 2012 at 02:34
Thought I better update, was a way for nearly a week and the seedlings had to look after themselves. I potted up 3 larger seedlings (2 affies and 1PK) and the skunkX into 1l pots before leaving... the others didn't look like they would stand handling so I soaked them and left them in the seedling pots.

When I got home the 4 potted up seedlings looked great but a couple of the small potted PK's had failed and strangely enough... the tiny little Jack Flash#5 appears to be rallying and is growing a second set of leaves. So glad I didn't turf it as it may do something yet.

Pics when I pull my finger out... happy growing everyone. %3chumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 21 June 2012 at 22:10
Well that sounds better.

Please oh lord let the JF live. %3co%20high

Date Posted: 22 June 2012 at 03:46
lol HD, yes in the past couple of days the JF has definitely grown.

The two affies Power Kush I potted up to 1L  before going away are growing nicely...

As is the skunkX... beginning to see roots in the drainage holes so another pot up will have to be done soon.

These two were really tiny before I went away so no pot up yet, but they do look to be growing now. The pots identify them as affies but the one on the left had two sprouts in it originally and I think the one I left may be a Power Kush. They are Afghanis.

Nearly time to turn on the hps...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 June 2012 at 09:26
All looking good. Glad to see the JF is recovering nicely.

Best of luck for the rest of the grow

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 02:48
Thanks OG, the skunkX needs to be potted on again and that will make it too large for the clone cupboard, so the tent is getting an airing as we speak and will have plants installed by the end of the day.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 21:21
sweet sarah, get the tent jamming,

-------------

Date Posted: 05 July 2012 at 06:59
Hey CK didn't get the tent going yet. Been up and down the freeway to the city for family business a few times since my last post, so I left the plants under cfl to be able to leave them unattended for 2 or 3 days at a time. Really need to get them into the tent now... the largest had it's leaves cupped around the 48W globe when I got home early this morning.

Hopefully I will be able to get them into the tent... bent over this morning to feed the chickens and put my back out... creeping around using walking poles today.

-------------

Posted By: 1966
Date Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:36
Sorry to hear about your back Sarah i know how you feel mines been out for about a month and just got hospital appointment which is another month off.
I hope yours is better as soon as possible.
The leaving for days at a time unattended was one of the first things i
realised i could do with the cfls which is unavoidable sometimes.
Good luck with your back and the rest of the grow.
Have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 05 July 2012 at 12:23
hello sarah
I am sorry to hear about your back,,hopefully with some rest things will improve.It sounds good to have some chickens around,do you have to be carefull with foxs or jackals?I have thought of getting some chickens i suppose they have a coup to go in at night to keep them safe,i will have to find out whether i need permission, you need it for everything these days.
I could just get them anyway as my neighbours are alternative types so would not be a problem.
So are the cfl's very cool and do not really burn the leaves? I remember using fluorescent lamps and they were cool and could have the tips quite close.
Illness of any kind can be a pain and also if you have noone to help with your garden is also a problem.hopes you make a speedy recovery.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:52
Thanks Guys, still pretty sore and can't move around much. I do have a couple of hens Assinomen, but no jackals in Australia and no foxes this close to town. They have a pen but it is unnecessary to lock them in at night.

With any luck my back will have loosened up a bit by tomorrow. Need to get the plants out for watering... a couple need potting up... I'll manage, but it might take me all day to finish the job.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 July 2012 at 22:08

Hey CK didn't get the tent going yet. Been up and down the freeway to the city for family business a few times since my last post, so I left the plants under cfl to be able to leave them unattended for 2 or 3 days at a time. Really need to get them into the tent now... the largest had it's leaves cupped around the 48W globe when I got home early this morning. Hopefully I will be able to get them into the tent... bent over this morning to feed the chickens and put my back out... creeping around using walking poles today.

hows the back sarah? i hope your on the mend
and i bet that skunk is a good size now

-------------

Date Posted: 06 July 2012 at 22:14
you need someone to come and water your plants feed chickens
general chores etc?? mmmm thats a point i could do it lol
i will warn you though it would be tuff leaving my
waterlogged country that be!
hope you can find some pain relief like a heavy indica or such
a few diazi work wonders with a couple of ibuprofen followed by a large joint and a tea with 2 sugars

-------------

Date Posted: 08 July 2012 at 04:23
Thanks for the offer CK... job's filled though, my brother is visiting for a while and he is doing the few odd jobs that need doing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 July 2012 at 11:18
good stuff hope you get well soon,
so you can keep us up to date with the grow

-------------

Date Posted: 08 July 2012 at 20:52
Ah, the dangers of chicken keeping. A harsh lesson.

Surely you'll have some good news to report soon. This cant go on.

Date Posted: 09 July 2012 at 23:32
The biggest danger for me with the chooks HD is stepping in the little piles of fertiliser they deposit where ever they go.

My lower back is still very tender but I can walk again unaided once more (woohoo). Just need to be careful... no sudden moves or twisting and no lifting. My brother has one of his teenage kids staying for a few days... and another one arrives tomorrow. This will be the real test of stealth... they can't wander into the grow room as it is on the far side of my art studio and the studio is a no entry area, but they might hear it. We will see.

When I watered a few days back I managed to get the plants into the tent, they all seem to be loving the hps and the increased warmth... I was keeping them a bit cool under the cfl to slow growth while I was away.

I'll see what I can do about a few pictures a bit later on, preparing the computer for a reformat... the shitty 32bit software that came with my phone has trashed my 64bit operating system... limping along off a linux live boot atm while I move valuable files to external storage.

Life... there is always something getting in the way.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 July 2012 at 12:14
Good to hear your on the mend Sarah a bad back is just about the worst ailment going not so much the pain but the way it incapacitates.
You have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 02:50
Thanks kph, still can't lift, twist, stretch or bend... but I can walk enough to get around the house and yard and tend the plants, sit long enough to use the net or watch a movie, and stand long enough to wash a few dishes or cook something simple. 

The plants -
Potted up my little Jack Flash... it's still small but growing quite nicely now. Also, I had a little confusion with the affies and kushes at germination... now that they have grown out a bit I can difference between the 2 strains... the earlier posted image of 2 plants I called affies are actually the Power Kush. (I'll go back and correct that)

So it still stands at -

1 Jack Flash (fem)
1 SkunkX (fem)
2 Power Kush (fem)
3 Ellie the Mongrel Affie (reg)

They are looking a little pale as they were on a starvation rations while I have been away and didn't get much attention while my nephews were here (and no, they didn't twig that there was anything odd in the back room).

Fed last night ec 1.4, pH 5.9, was waiting for the SkunkX to pick up it's leaves before taking a pic but things still look droopy from watering.

Back row... Power Kush, middle row... affies, front L... affie, front R... Jack Flash, and SkunkX to the side.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 03:54
So sorry to hear about your back troubles. Back pain is no joke for sure. Hubby has had multiple surgeries to his back, a spinal fusion and some other things. So, although I don't actually feel your pain, I understand what you're suffering with. I hope you feel 100% soon.

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 08:40
Thanks for the kind words Mel.  I think where it is atm is the worst part of recovery... I can do a few menial things, but not much, none of the things I really want to be doing and the risk is I over extend myself and stuff it up again.

Nearly time to go turn the light on... timer stuffed and I wont be able to get a new one until the end of the week.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 11:55
Hello Sarah.you sound as if your in a similar situation as me.
I've been doing bugger all really for nearly the last two months and whilst it has improved slightly i'm still goosed.
Hospital this coming Friday so i will see what the crack is then but i am not expecting it to be good news.
My major problem is the sacroiliac joint were the spine sits in between the hips so every movement you feel.
Its not fun but its all part of life i suppose.
I sincerely hope you get over your current back problem and that is the last of them.
Have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 13:44
I don't think my back is as bad as yours kph, I have some calcification around the sacroiliac but my main problem is a little higher, damaged disc between L4 and L5 that slips - usually after the most inconspicuous of actions. Generally only a problem for a few weeks, less if I can make myself go to the heated pool for regular swimming sessions.

Fingers crossed that you do get some good news Friday.

Back to the plants... I've just potted up the last of the little affies.  There's quite a size range atm... by the time the JF is ready to flower, the skunkX may have taken over the tent.

I expect a little pruning is in order. I wont be able to take clones from all the plants as I need to stay under the magic number 10. Only the JF will be cloned plus an affie if I get a girl, which means I will have to bin the prunings (argh even the thought of it gives me the shivers).

This evening under the glow...

-------------

Date Posted: 14 July 2012 at 15:04
When you say you have to stop at 10 is that due to space limitations or due to other restrictions?
Until i found this site i had no idea there were so many breeds of plant and i will have to study up and see which would best suit my needs and growing space but i love reading all the diaries and seeing all the wonderful varieties.
I've had a search but cannot seem to find it but has there every been a poll for the best indoor and outdoor varieties?
I think one day i will try the jf as i have read nothing but good things about it,have you grown many jf's in the past and how have you found them? would you recommend them for a novice like me?
Have a nice weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 15 July 2012 at 05:07
Originally posted by kph1966

When you say you have to stop at 10 is that due to space limitations or due to other restrictions?

The penalties get harsher the higher the numbers... under 10 is considered personal, over 10 is commercial.

I've had a search but cannot seem to find it but has there every been a poll for the best indoor and outdoor varieties?

Best is a relative term KPH. It's depends very much on what you like to smoke, where you are located and how you like to grow. I'm sure if you were to use a search engine you would find many such threads online, but all they will tell you is what other people like.

I think one day i will try the jf as i have read nothing but good things about it

Same here... I had heard good things, seen a few grow logs and then got a good deal from a reseller on some JF#5. This is the first time I have grown the strain so I can't really offer an opinion on it's suitability for a novice apart from repeating what information is in the catalogue.

All the best, sara.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2012 at 10:35
Originally posted by 1966

Until i found this site i had no idea there were so many breeds of plant and i will have to study up and see which would best suit my needs and growing space but i love reading all the diaries and seeing all the wonderful varieties.

hey 1966
how are you;I found a site which would seem to suit your requirements,it works on a point system and has various categories
www.leafly.com/hybrid/jack-flash
http://www.leafly.com/sativa/jack-herer
,medical,sativa-indica &c &c,it also has a layout with colour tabs and sort of looks like a periodic table.its worth a look i think you would find it helpful,,
   the jack herer is one i would like to grow it looks exceptional.for the moment though the flower time is a bit long unless i could have two grows,then again it is suposed to yeild very well as the longer flower types do, so really it amounts to the same and for medical reasons is worth going for if times no problem then thats the one.

anyway have a look at the site,its neutral and is not associated with any seed banks.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2012 at 22:44
Glad to see you got some green going sara, the only way is up as a popular song once went.

Hope the backs get better soon.

Posted By: alecky
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 18:04
Great to see and hear things are getting back on track sara, you have had enough bad luck already! Looking forward to seeing the mongrel affie!! 

-------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 07:16
Thanks HD and Alecky... I think I just have to face the fact that I need to pre treat the coco with a fungicide before winter germinations.

No changes yet in the tent although the Power Kush Plants will go into new pots in the next day or so and the skunk will be leaving... it's so far ahead of the others and I really need it flowered before I commit to the spring germination for the outdoor season.

Alecky, I call my Affie a mongrel because she has no grand pedigree... shes not an outstanding cropper crop and the spider mites love her, but... it's for what she is, rather than what she isn't, that I love her so.

With any luck I will get a female similar to the mother, if I only get males I will pollinate the PK's to preserve the memory.

-------------

Posted By: mellow
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 13:38
Hey,

nice to seer you up and growing again sarah :)

Posted By: breizh ganja
Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 11:58
yeh. the best for you! and always good to speak with the other side of the world ! i'm a "airplane" at this time.. this whith diesel is sgoood with the music and the sunshine ! the distance is nothing for the think or vibes ! so...take this : it's for you sarah and it"s free ! peace

-------------
Rémi Gaillard...take a look !

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 01:07
Thanks Mellow, and BG here is one for you too %3c3ceart%3c3ceed%3c20leaf... enjoy the diesel.

The plants...

I went to the hardware store yesterday and bought 7 litre pots, coco and perlite to pot up the plants into uniform sized pots... didn't quite have enough so the three that were originally potted up into 5 litre pots (edit- actually they are 3.5L) will have to stay there until I go back into town.

The pot size is a bit of a jump for me but I need to go away again for a few days so I want them in pots that will take a few days to dry out, even under hps.

The plants still look a bit underfed, but are greening up as I increase the strength of the feed. Last feed ec 1.4, pH 5.8.

Crap photo... but it will give you guys an idea of what is going on...

Back row... (L-R) Ellie the Affie, Ellie the Affie, Jack Flash#5, Front row... (L-R) Power Kush, Power Kush, Ellie Affie.

I was having a few temperature issues... too warm with the lights on and too cool with the lights off, so I have changed the ventilation around a bit and am now drawing cold air (from outside) in through the cool tube. The warmed air then dumps into the room and is sucked through the tent by the centrifugal fan. Once the light is turned off the centri draws warm air from the rest of the house into the tent. Running the lighting from 5pm until 11am.

This setup is keeping the temps between 21-23C (light on) and 17-19C (light off) ... humidity sits between 45% (light on) and 60% (light off).

That's about all for now, sara %3c3ceed%3c20leaf

-------------

Date Posted: 24 July 2012 at 14:02
Just a pic from the tent... all settling in nicely... yes it is the hps light, they aren't that yellow in daylight.

Too stoned to label them all so (as you have probably guessed) the unlabelled ones are the Affies.  %3cig%3c

-------------

Date Posted: 27 July 2012 at 23:54
nice one sarah, i think you will like your 7 litre pots

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 11:40
Thanks CK, I am liking them so far... finally managed to get back into town for more perlite and coco, so I am prepping coco and potting up the last 3 tonight.

Seems like as good a time for a photo session, the plants have grown on considerably and achieved a nice shade of green. Currently feeding at ec 1.8, pH 5.9.

Pics will go up when I finish tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 14:06
Not quite finished but more than halfway. Coco mixed, plants potted up and flushed... still to mix nutrients and feed the mob but I need a sit down.

Altogether beforehand...

Just counting up the weeks and realised that my wee Jack Flash#5 (left front) is only a few days short of 3 months old... talk about a problem child.

At least I see what look to be female preflowers... and the yellowy look is all flash.

Soon be time to take one or two of those lower shoots for clones.

Both Power Kush are showing female preflowers as are the two Affies I had earlier potted up. Dang I just potted up the suspect male... silly me, should have left it and taken clones next week with the JF#5... then again, it might surprise me and actually be female... then I'll need a clone off it anyway... too much thinking for tonight. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 15:26
Finally finished and back into the tent we go...

Well, not quite finished, still have to clean up the mess...

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 16:26
Looking a lot better, your green fingers are showing :).

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 17:13
Thanks Mellow, but I think it's more quality nutrients, fed regularly than green thumbs... well a bit of perseverance with the 3 slower plants (back row).  

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 23:54
got some potent gear in that tent sarah,
all looking much better now bring on the action!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 03:21
So it's action you want CK.... I think I had better give the transplants a few days to settle into the new pots before changing the light cycle. The pot up has magnified the height difference between the 2 groups of plants... might not be so much of an issue as the PK shouldn't stretch as much as the JF#5... the affies might need high chairs though... not really sure as I haven't grown this strain since I was growing in dirt, outdoors.

Fingers crossed the 3rd affie is a boy... I really would like some pollen. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 11:41
Third affie is sporting female preflowers... can't really complain about an all girl show.

A little pollen would have been nice though...

-------------

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 14:01
The ceremonial changing of the light schedule will occur Sunday at 8.30 am (Gmt+9).

So these are the last vegging pics...

First up is my jack flash#5

next the power kushes... the biggest first, hasn't missed a beat with the repot.

the second isn't much smaller but looks a bit odd because a couple of times she has only grown a single leaf rather than a pair.

And the affies, smallest to largest aa well as best to worse...

Number one has a single leaf with yellow variegations.

number two

dang, seem to have lost the shot of the 3rd sweet eloise, oh well she's front right in the group pic.

And now the flowering :D

-------------

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 21:34
Tight. Looking good.

Date Posted: 13 August 2012 at 00:39
Thanks Mel, the slow veg means they all have very well developed side shoots. Need to go buy another couple of timers... can't find one here that actually works. I have been getting up at 6.30am to turn off the cool tube fan (which draws cold air from outside) to let the temps rise a couple of degrees before turning the light off at 7.30am.

The ground here is white with frost each morning, but if I have the cooltube fan turn on an hour after the light in the evening and turn off a hour earlier in the morning I am able to keep the tent temperatures between 18-24C (64-75F) without extra heating.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2012 at 20:16
We're in the heat of summer here, so cooling is what I'm all about right now. Got lights off 8am-8pm and adding extra fans to pull cold air up into the flower room from my basement, which is 100 year old sandstone, holds pretty steady at 65 degrees year 'round.

I dig the slow veg too. My next 2 plants that push into the perpetual have been vegging 58 days now, they'll be 68 when they flip.

Date Posted: 13 August 2012 at 22:35
I hadn't intended for mine to be quite so slow, early problems with damping off and me having to go away a few times stretched the vegetative period out.

I need to have the tent packed away a week into November... hope it will be long enough for the JF#5.... 83 days to go.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 August 2012 at 12:18
I think things are going to get rather crowded...

My perennial problem with low humidity is gone... moved most of the books out of the room and am drawing air from outside. Now all have to worry about is the humidity being too high.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 August 2012 at 11:35
Yes it is getting crowded for floor space, I didn't top anything to try and preserve some floor space yet the plants are as bushy as if I had topped.

First up... JF#5

Power Kush 1

Power Kush 2

Sweet Eloise 1

Sweet Eloise 2

And last but not least... Sweet Eloise 3

That's it for tonight, all still feeding at ec 1.8, pH 5.8 every second day. Temperature is ranging between 18 - 25C, humidity is a touch higher than I would like at 60 - 80% rh.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:09
Hey,

Looking good :).

I'm not that far behind you, I'm gonna flip the light tonight on mine.

In my limited experience, The topped plants that I just did, did take up about the same amount of space(width) as a reg, they were just shorter. But I was completely shocked at how much they gave back. One plant I would have sworn would have given me 1.50z gave me 3?

Date Posted: 17 August 2012 at 04:27
Happy flowering Mellow.

Granted, I don't have that much experience flowering indoors but I had expected a little more of an upward push. The kushes and JF#5 still have the classic triangular shape but the affies... bloody hell, all of them have secondary shoots are longer than the meristem.

Maybe it's just because I haven't grown any of these for a few years... but I don't remember them looking anything like this... well the leaf shape and the flushed stems are as I remember... but I sure don't remember this sort of branching.

Possibly just the different growing conditions, who knows? So long as they flower as I remember... the rest doesn't really matter.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 August 2012 at 18:32

Thanks Mel, the slow veg means they all have very well developed side shoots. Need to go buy another couple of timers... can't find one here that actually works. I have been getting up at 6.30am to turn off the cool tube fan (which draws cold air from outside) to let the temps rise a couple of degrees before turning the light off at 7.30am.

The ground here is white with frost each morning, but if I have the cooltube fan turn on an hour after the light in the evening and turn off a hour earlier in the morning I am able to keep the tent temperatures between 18-24C (64-75F) without extra heating.

hi sara why not try to find an electronics dealer that sells heavy duty relays or contacters you can get the right rating in amps terms,,rate at about 1/3 over the overall amp induction or the amps drawn,with a simple wire diagram you can run all the lights from one timer via a relay/contacter which will handle all the lights.just add all the amp ratings of all the lamps and add a third,and use a wire that is rated as well..most timers give the rating in resistive current but hid,s are inductive current which draw more power,a bit of study on the net will suffice ,its not really heavy electrical theory,,maybe i am off the mark and you have no problem with the lamps..you can also look up assymetrical recyclers which have adjustable pulse(on) and pause(off) these are accurate to the second or 60 second or 60 minuite or longer they cover all time needs ..google the A.R if you have" radio spares "the company they sell all the kit,the assymetrical recycler is a great bit of kit you can have the pause and pulse set over 24 hours with exact control to the second although depending on amp rating you may need a relay to handle the current we used to use them to CO2 inject to the second ,have a look its basically a timer system,google it..

by the way the plants look   really pretty.very healthy..

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2012 at 03:31
Hi assinomen, thanks, I think they are pretty too... atm I am doing things manually simply because I am home and funds are low. A thermostat for the cool tube fan and a new timer for the light are on the list of things to buy, but they are down the list a bit and might not happen for this grow.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 August 2012 at 13:35
Feeling a bit sad... my JF#5 is showing staminate growth at the nodes. I'll keep it a bit longer, but if it continues down this path it will soon be hitting the compost heap.

-------------

Posted By: Ganja
Date Posted: 24 August 2012 at 15:38
Damn it! Sorry to hear.

-------------
http://sensiseeds.com/s-en/cannabis-seeds/auto - Auto-flowering http://sensiseeds.com/cannabis-seeds - Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!

Date Posted: 24 August 2012 at 23:14
I'm sorry to hear too, but what does that mean, in lay man terms?

I googled it, but i'm still none the wiser?

Date Posted: 25 August 2012 at 03:18
pistillate = female

staminate = male 

-------------

Posted By: Lahori-Munda
Date Posted: 25 August 2012 at 18:45
Better luck next time sarah louise

Date Posted: 26 August 2012 at 05:05
Thanks Larhori - Munda, at least taking the Jf out of the tent has made it a little less cramped inside the tent... still probably too tight but I will wait and see what happens with the 5 remaining plants.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 August 2012 at 11:22
hi thats a bummer sarah! like you say at least 5 left,
and more scope to bush now, but a shame about the JF#5 though

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 00:20
Well, down to four in the tent now CK... no bloody room, so the weakest of the affies has left the building and is hiding out on the sunny side of the shade house.

It's still wall to wall foliage inside the tent (and sprinkled with little buds now), but I did manage to squeeze in a second box fan and get the humidity under control.

First up, the last shot of 5 in the tent a few days ago. Problem was the humidity was soaring during the dark period and barely drying out during lights on.

The planties... pk1, the biggest and furthest into flower. Takes up the space of 2 affies.

pk2, growing steadily

pics of the others later... upload is playing up.

-------------

Posted By: sicklehand
Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 06:34
there looking great SL, ill pull up a chair for the bud firework display that will be happening over the next few weeks

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 11:50
Hey Sickle, yeah the buds are starting to show themselves, especially on the pk's. I think they are going to live up to the blurb and finish pretty quickly... it will be very nice to have a change of bud.

here's the others... se1

se2

and se3 (who now lives outside) and luckily we are having a spell of warmer weather. Wont be long now that the frosts will be but a memory.

-------------

Posted By: alsc
Date Posted: 06 September 2012 at 01:23
hey sarah louise, congratulations!
looks good oreatty crowded as well in your tent.
so you've got 4 plants in 7 liters pots, right? how big is your tent?
as i told you i'm trying to experiment with different sizes to get as much as possible from my space... i am still convinced it is hard to beat the 4 11 lt pots setu up from which i got 220 grams from a 250 W HPS, but we'll see!
i'll follow your babies' flowering!
ciao! %3cool

Date Posted: 07 September 2012 at 02:25
Yep Alsc, 4 plants left in 7L pots of coco/perlite and the tent is 1m square and 1.8m tall. It's still a bit squished in there but there is still room for vertical growth... just hoping the Sweet Ellies don't get too tall as there is no room to be bending the tops over and bracing the plants.

I also have 2 oscillating fans in there to push the air around, one set to blow over the foliage and the other set to blow air under the foliage.  Reducing the plant numbers and putting in the second fan has really improved the humidity levels... I may even get to harvest without mould problems.

The next time they are out of the tent I will get some shots of the flowering tops.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2012 at 12:47
splendid work its standing room only lovley stucture
to your credit and nice tight nodes

-------------

Date Posted: 22 September 2012 at 00:18
Thank you Coverking, but I can't take the credit, it's the plants doing the work... I just try and meet their needs.

Sorry for the lapse, early spring is a very busy time in the garden. Anyway, things are progressing nicely in the tent of eternal summer.

The tent is surely full... stuffed full. I had wanted to stick my little jf#5 male back in the tent for a bit of pollination, but there is no room for him even though I cut the plant back severely.

Power Kush #1 (rear right)

Power Kush #2 (front right)

Sweet Ellies, (#2 in front #1 to the rear.)

and considering it is spring.... the new arrivals, skunk#1 x triffid.

I still have to get some shots of SE3 and the JF#5, both are living out in the shade house.

Apart from a ml/L of PK 13/14, the feed stays the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 September 2012 at 10:30
stellar growing Sl, its a shame that you dont have room to make seed as they all look really frosty, still there is always outdoors for a bit of plant hanky panky lol

Date Posted: 22 September 2012 at 11:03
Thanks Sickle, yeah the JF#5 still has the third Sweet Ellie to pollinate. He should be producing pollen soon, if I'm organised enough I will harvest some for the indoor girls.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 September 2012 at 11:17
they all look like they will make excellent mums, the power kush looks yummy good luck with your bean making SL   

Date Posted: 23 September 2012 at 08:16
I don't know if the kushes will be in flower for long enough to ripen seed... but the ellies definitely will be :D

Six weeks in 12/12 today and 34 days since pk1 began flowering. The next 21 days should be interesting... especially considering I am down to my last oz from the outdoor harvest.

Sweet Ellie 3. Flowering has suffered a bit with the rain, but her branches are much stronger than the ones indoors( courtesy of the extra space, she's had to move a round in the breeze).

So long as she remains disease free, there is a good chance she can come back inside once the PK's finish... dang where the fruit am I going to dry the pk's? Bloody things stink to high heaven already.

Now I don't think I outlined what happened to my little jf#5... here he is now, out with se3.

I'll need to go edit a few images to show you all how he came to be as you see him now.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 September 2012 at 08:35
Okies, the last time we saw jf#5 he was confirmed male and looked something like this...

In order to keep the extra plant, it needed to shrink.

and it did...

A bread knife or blade from an electric knife cuts through the medium and roots nicely. Just treat the root ball as if were a loaf of soft bread that needed cutting.

After that it's just a matter of finding a suitably sized pot for what's left...

And backfilling with medium... water in well with seaweed extract or similar and place in a lowly lit environment.

After a couple of days, return to brighter lighting. You can either return the plant to 18/6 lighting and delay flowering indefinitely or, as I did, keep the plant on 12/12 and he should produce pollen within a month.

-------------

Posted By: abbmacher
Date Posted: 23 September 2012 at 22:39
The garden looks great. What are you going too pollenate with the male?

Print Page | Close Window