Print Page | Close Window

Wish me luck[i think i will need it]

Printed From: Hemp Flax Forum
Category: Sensi Seeds
Forum Name: Indoor Grow Diaries
Forum Discription: For photos of your indoor grow, from germination to harvest!
URL: http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10316
Printed Date: 15 December 2019 at 20:46

Topic: Wish me luck[i think i will need it]
Posted By: 1966
Subject: Wish me luck[i think i will need it]
Date Posted: 01 March 2012 at 15:54
Hello all
So here goes my first ever grow and already i am having problems just 5 days from germination.
Three white label super skunk fem,Two are doing fine but one is really drooping her head and looking really sorry for herself.Propped her up a bit and tried to get her face to point towards the light as it was stood up straight apart from the top centimetre.they were all stood about 2 inches high so any ideas why she is shying away from the light?
Their under a 105 watt cfl which is about 4 inches above the top of the plants.
I have just put a oil filled radiator in with them as night temps were dipping to 9C as it is in a out building but dueing the day with the lights on it has been as high as 28C,Do you think this is what has caused her to start to wilt?
Their in a area i have set up for veg and then will be going in a 1.2 x 1.8 tent under a 600 watt hps dual spectrum bulb for the last two weeks of veg[if i make it that far] and then flower.
I will try and post some photos up within the next couple of days if i can suss out how to post photos.
Is there a tutorial or could someone give us a clue how to put pics on as i have been searching but cannot seem to find anything a bout it.
Cheers and all have a good evening.....

-------------
Live and let live

Replies:
Posted By: coverking
Date Posted: 01 March 2012 at 16:34
hi kph, good to see you going for it.
no mention of a fan? or air flow could be a bit much in there with a heater, drying things out a little and a fan at your stage is vital in making your girls strong. creating the mother nature scenario is the tricky bit, for photos go into a picture editing programme on your pc and resize within the size on sensis upload page it tells you beneath the upload box. good luck,,,CK

-------------
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!

Date Posted: 02 March 2012 at 00:06
Hello cover i hope everything is hunky dory with you.
I don't know what the problem is with the little critter as the other two seem to be doing very well [but then again what do i know]
I have a 4 inch TT extraction fan and a 8 inch ossolateing fan next to a vent for air intake.
The oil filled radiator has a therostat which will only kick in once lights go out and temps drop below 20C.
Will just have to wait and see what happens with her.
Oh well i can but try and hopefully lady luck will be kind to me but that said the last time i bumped into her she kicked me in the nuts.
You have a good evening and thanks for the reply.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: mellow
Date Posted: 03 March 2012 at 12:21
hey Bud,

well as cover said it sound like the plant is drying out?

Well for babby's i thinkj there are 2 main reasons they fall over.

1st is not enough water(they'll keel over as adulkts as well)

2nd is not enough asirflow(ossilating), I started off my last lot with out a fan, the top leave was to heavy for the stems and a few keeled over. I put some toothpick to soport them and carried on as noraamal.

I was told at the time though, if any plant keels over, then leave it to stand up on its own.

T^his time i had 2 what i'd let dry reighgt out, they keeled over but know they are both fine, even though they're a little streched.(if you look at my grow blog, you can see them lyeing down.

Date Posted: 03 March 2012 at 13:17
Hello Chris i hope you are well.
I have so much to learn and i will try and do so but i don't know if this damaged old bonce is capable but i always like a challenge.

Two are fine or seem so to me but the other one is a proper runt of the litter and if it survives i will name it Lazarus but seen as i am a atheist i do not believe it is going to happen.
Still need to get my head around being able to put photos on threads i have uploaded them to open in my file manager but from there on i do not have a clue.
I have only been using a computer for about 4 years after my son showed me how to switch it on i have taught myself through trial and error but mainly error.But i cannot really ask him for help as he's only 12.

You have a good day and thanks again for the advice      

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 03 March 2012 at 14:15
This is how i upload images.

Right click, your desk top, select "new folder".

Plug in your camera and cut and paste the images into the folder you have created.

move the mouse icon over the images to see how big they are, if you take them on the cameras best setting you'll need to resize them.

Right click the image on your desk top, select open with, paint should be an option. If not open paint, then open the image through paint.

there is a buttom called "resize" its top leftish, I resize mine 20%, the idea is that the image will be under 250kb file size, so for you it might be resize to 10% or 30%, have a play about with it.

So once the images are on your pc and the right size, you click the diagonal arrow in the sensi text box.

Then there is an icon of a tree, click that. You can then chose your image by looking in desktop for the folder you created, job done.

If you get stuck message me, i'm in today.

Date Posted: 03 March 2012 at 20:50
as mellow said lol

-------------

Posted By: sarah louise
Date Posted: 04 March 2012 at 05:20
Good luck kph %3chumbs%20Up

-------------
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...

Date Posted: 04 March 2012 at 10:50
Hello and thank you Sarah,
I hope everything is rosie in your neck of the woods.
I will post some photos in a few days when there is a little more to look at.
Thanks again Chris for taking the time to educate this old head.
All have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 04 March 2012 at 12:51
Anytime bud.

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 12:00
Hello all here are a few pictures of my first ever grow.Two super skunk feminised from white label 10 days after breaking out of the ground.
I have been struggling a bit with the range in temperatures but seem to have got things under control.
I also fear i may have been over watering what do you guys think from the evidence in the pictures?

Sorry about the quality of photos but i need a camera upgrade.
Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks and all have a good day

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 12:16
Hey, they don't look to bad at all for your first grow.

I take it that is soil not coco? I've no idea really about soil, still trying to learn coco, lol.

I did have that burnt leaf thing on my first grtow, but they grew out of it. Just keep your eye on temps, airflow watering etc and you'll be fine.

Posted By: sicklehand
Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 12:20
hmm the trouble your having could be cold related, at cold temps nutrients become unavailable to the plant but i read you have a heater in there now so time will tell on that one, also ph swing could explain the leaf markings you have. have you given them any fertilizers them yet?

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 13:12
Hello Sickle i hope you are well.
I have managed to stabilise the temps now and they are rangeing from 27 to 18 ish and i have been giving them rain water that has been sat in the grow area to warm it up as to not shock them with cold water.
I have not given them any nutes yet as i thought they were a little young yet or am i wrong on that?
I have a oscillating fan that was also buffering them about quite a bit and was thinking they may have been suffering a bit of wind burn but being a complete novice i do not know what do you think?
Its very worrying being my first grow and my arse has already eaten a few pairs of undies worrying that i am doing something wrong that could kill them.
I must admit they do seem to have come on well over the last few days as i was thinking a few days back that they seemed to be under developed for their age.
Thanks for the feed back and you have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 13:40
hey kph most composts have enough nutrients in them for at least 4 weeks so i wouldnt feed till then. if the new growth is growing fine then alls good. if you have the fan pointed directly at your babys then its possible to burn them its better to have it blowing above them or on ossilate    

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 15:55
Hello Sickle,
The fan is on ossilate but is is quite close due to the size of the area they are in but i have tried to adjust it so as not to give them that much of a gust.
The new growth does look healthier than the first set of leafs but this is probably down to me makeing adjustments to watering schedule-temps and fan direction i suppose i will just have to play it by ear and see how things progress,
Thanks as always for your kind input and you have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 16:09
Sorry Chris i have just noticed your response sorry i must be going blind or just getting dosier.
As always any advice is very welcome.
Thanks and have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: High Rolla
Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 16:39
not looking bad KPH, keep it up and you'll reap the rewards.%3chumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 17:50
hey don't worry about it bud, i generally go quite when some one with more experience gets involved.

To be honest i'm having some problem with my own babbies at the mo.

Date Posted: 07 March 2012 at 21:20
Hello and thank you High Rolla
I hope i can make it through to harvest and pick up some knowledge along the way to help me with future grows all being well.
Sorry to hear you are having issues Chris whats the problem? whatever it is i hope you get it sorted.
Thanks and have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 16:11
hi kph, when you do feed start nice and low, my Super skunk started to go mad for food about 30 days from seed, i wouldent think sensi super skunk would be miles away from your white label version,
infact virtualy the same probebly, the plants seem robust and able to take topping,clones etc with very little shock, very hardy indeed. check the ph on your rain water i believe it can be very acidic, i think a good ph for soil is around 6.5-7.0. good work so far, and its all about the new growth like sickle pointed out mate,,,CK

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 16:15
oh sorry i have noticed that most tap water comes out at around the right ph for soil growers, if ph was the cause of the leaves yellowing.
if you did use tap water you could fill a 2 litre bottle of it let it stand over night/warm up perfect size for 2 plants, and in theory be on the correct ph etc,
just makes me wonder if the rain water is causing you problems,,,CK

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 16:20
acid rain?

mmmm, wouldn't surprise me whats in the rain. TBH i don't trust tap water much either. I get white stuff in mine?

Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 16:25
just got this off wiki ive never trusted rain lol or as you say water, i think your safer using tap water thats stood for at least over night

Acid rain is a rain or any other form of precipitation that is unusually acidic, meaning that it possesses elevated levels of hydrogen ions (low pH). It can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals, and infrastructure. Acid rain is caused by emissions of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides which react with the water molecules in the atmosphere to produce acids. Governments have made efforts since the 1970s to reduce the release of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere with positive results. Nitrogen oxides can also be produced naturally by lightning strikes and sulfur dioxide is produced by volcanic eruptions. The chemicals in acid rain can cause paint to peel, corrosion of steel structures such as bridges, and erosion of stone statues

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2012 at 17:34
Thanks for the input guys,
I was wondering the same thing but being my first grow loads of different thoughts go racing through my head about possible causes and acid rain was one of them.
I actually googled the ph of rain water and it stated that it should be about 6 to 6.5.
I was thinking of getting a ph tester but what should i go for one for soil or one for water?
The thing is i thought the plants were a little slow and then once i starting giving them rain water instead of tap water they seem to have come on a bit or that may just be my imagination.
As always your kind advice is much appreciated.
Have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 12 March 2012 at 13:19
Hello all just a few pictures at 14 days from germ,
The new growth does seem to be looking a lot healthier to me since i got temps - watering and fans under better control but then again i still have trouble telling my arse from my elbow and still keep burning my backside testing my little girls bath water temp.
There seems to be a lot less damage to the new leaves compared to the first sets what do you guys think?

I was thinking of potting on within the next few days would you guys advise this and if so have you any advice regarding potting on as any advice is much appreciated.

Everyone have a good day

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 19 March 2012 at 11:06
Hello i hope you all had a good week and weekend.
So here are a few pictures at 21 days from germ,
Photos taken just before i watered them since i hadn't done for two days as i think most of the early damage i did to the plants was probably down to over watering.
I also poted up to 2.5 litre pots last week as they were root bound in the 0.75 pots they were in.

They seem to be comeing on a lot better letting them dry out for a couple of days and then watering and getting stronger with each new set of leaves that grow so fingers crossed i don't bugger things up.
The tallest of the two is about 7 inches and the smaller about 6 inches but they would both be a inch taller but when i potted up i buried about a inch of the stem.
As always any advice would be much appreciated.
Everyone have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 19 March 2012 at 11:26
well done buddy they're coming along nicely now.

Date Posted: 19 March 2012 at 11:37
Morning Chris i hope everything is hunky dory in your neck of the woods.
Well i've not managed to kill them yet which is a nice surprise and being my first grow i'm just thankful of that.
I think their probably a good week behind were they should be due to my newbie short comings but they must be a very hardy plant.
Just have to keep trying not to kill em and see how things play out.
Cheers and have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: Melvan
Date Posted: 19 March 2012 at 16:53
"Just have to keep trying not to kill em" That's a funny line right there, lol.

Looking much better, stick to the wet/dry cycle like you are and they'll do fine. You're not giving any feed right? Just water?

Date Posted: 19 March 2012 at 17:06
Hello Melvan i hope you are well.
With just after potting up i thought there would be enough nutes in the fresh soil and i was thinking of starting to give nutes a week or two after i move them into their final size of pots[which will be 15 litres]. Do you think that will be ok or should i start with the nutes before this?
I am still getting a little bit of brown on the ends of leaves and am a little unsure what could be causing it.
I had started watering with tap water again so i will revert back to rainwater and see if that makes any difference.
You have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 26 March 2012 at 11:00
Hello guys well they've managed to survive four weeks so far but i think
they are lagging behind were they should be due to the poor start they had and i think they may be starting to cry out for some nutes now what do you think?

They are only in 2.5 litre pots so i will be potting up into 15 litre pots this week as they are just about root bound in these smaller ones.
What N P K should i be looking to give them at this stage and it being their first feed?
Cheers guys and have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 26 March 2012 at 15:57
Hey bud,

Girls are coming on nicely.

from the pic's i'd say that you problem may have been over ferting. Having said that you've got some nice little stocky plants, so

I don't know about soil mixes, but i'd be pestering some of the experienced growers for what they use, for next time.

Date Posted: 26 March 2012 at 16:26
I would give 1/4 strength of whatever veg feed you use. Transplant with only water. Then a 1/2 strength first feed in the big bucket, then water, then full strength.

Glad to see them recovering so nicely. I don't do any soil mixing. I don't know where you live, so Pro-Mix may be not be available as a brand name, but I'm 100% positive something just the same is around, just with a different name. It's just peat, perlite, and vermiculite, that's it. Pro-Mix is super forgiving, and has nothing in it unless you put it there with feeding. I've grown in it FOREVER and would never change to anything else.

You don't have to worry about it running "hot", you don't have to adjust feed to compensate for nutes already in the medium, it's just a good medium for someone learning the plant to be growing in.

Date Posted: 26 March 2012 at 17:29
Hello Mellow and Melvan.
I have not used any ferts yet Chris,and thanks for the pointers Melvan any advice about ferts at this stage is most welcome.
The soil is a quite expensive compost i bought last year for plants in containers my little girl was planting but on my next run i will definitely be using something a bit better suited for the job in hand.
Thanks guys and keep the advice coming as god knows i need it and it is much appreciated.
All have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 26 March 2012 at 21:02
arh, right Melvan, so pro mix isn't soil, it's like coco then.

Yearh bud i didn't mean ferts you'd given them, just what was already in the soil :)

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 02:32
If it's compost, let me change my feed instructions to you then.

Give the 1/4 strength, transplant with water, 1/2 strength, water, water (unless the tips are light yellow, then feed, brown no feed), full strength, water, water and so on. Sticking to the wet/dry cycle throughout.

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:19
Thanks Melvan its much appreciated.
You have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:31
khp for future reference, plagron light mix is pretty much the same thing melvan is talking about it costs about £9.50 for 50l and has little or no nutrients and gives the grower more control nutrient wise

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:55
Good morning Sickle i hope you are well.
Thanks for taking the time to help it is much appreciated.
I think i would prefer to carry on growing in soil for probably the next few runs just to get to know the crack before i move on to other growing mediums.
Have a good day

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: sarah louise
Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:16
As Mellow noted earlier, the plants show signs of too much fertiliser in their history (the burnt edges = too much fertiliser). Seeing as you haven't added extra fertiliser to the plants, we can conclude that the soil was pretty rich in the first place.

If you are going to pot up into a neutral medium like Promix or other unfertilised potting mixture, then Melvan has the right sort of idea about introducing soluble fertiliser.

If, on the other hand, you still have the same soil/compost at home that burnt your seedlings... don't add any extra fertiliser or nutrient solutions. It's obvious that the soil has enough fertiliser in it to sustain a few weeks growth.

Your plants will tell you when they are hungry. Personally, I don't think that your plants look like they are ''crying out" for anything. They seem to have got over the earlier burn from nitrogen rich soil and are approaching pot up time.

This is what a plant looks like when it really needs to get some fertiliser fast...

Note the yellow leaves around the bottom of the plant. If a plant doesn't get enough nitrogen from the soil it will pull it out of the older leaves to continue growing new leaves at the top of the plant. So the plant looks yellow at the bottom and then gradually more and more green towards the top. 

-------------
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 16:13
Hello Sarah Louise i hope you are well.
Thanks for the advice and being my first grow i appreciate all the help i can get.
Have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: Hash Driveway
Date Posted: 05 April 2012 at 16:44
Wishing you luck kph

Originally posted by kph1966

The soil is a quite expensive compost i bought last year for plants in containers my little girl was planting but on my next run i will definitely be using something a bit better suited for the job in hand.

Out of interest, what is the compost you're using? Some composts can only be used in the year of purchase (John Innes No1 for example) as the nutrient in them can become unbalanced.

Sturdy looking plants however.

Date Posted: 05 April 2012 at 17:39
Hello Hash i hope you are well.
It is john innes that i am useing but i potted up into just a regular descent compost and they seem to be really coming on now.
I am after just keeping these two as mother plants and just flowering clones off them but am waiting another two weeks before i start taking cuttings.
They are both really compact but one stands about 14 inches and the other is about 11 so they should stand a good chance of handling my butchery.
I also have a few early skunk seeds for doing a outdoor grow which i will be germing next week.
You have a good day and good luck with your growing ventures.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 06 April 2012 at 00:32
That would fairly certainly explain the nute burn kph. I've half a bag of the stuff left over from last year and was tempted to use it this year. Your experience has made me wiser. From here on up it'll be green.  You'll see.

Date Posted: 08 April 2012 at 14:05
Hello all. 36 days of vegging what i am hopeing to keep as mothers.
It just goes to show how hardy these plants are that not only are they still alive but beginning to thrive.They are now in 15 litre pots and seem well settled
As always any advice or comments are much appreciated.
And any advice about takeing clones and the care of them and mother plants would be a great help as i am aiming to start takeing clones within the next two weeks.
All have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 10 April 2012 at 20:35
Yeah kp, they do seem to be thriving, really nice and green.

When I get a minute, I'll post up what I know about cloning, which isnt that much granted but sometimes not much is all you need to know.

Date Posted: 10 April 2012 at 22:42
Hello HD i hope you and your lanky seedlings are doin well.
Its a scary thing to start choppin away at me plants especially seen how its my first grow i don't really want to make a balls of it and kill the plants havin come this far.
Been watching loads of you tube vids about cloning and peoples techniques seen to vary quite a bit but at some point i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go for it so any advice is much appreciated.
You and the seedlings have a good night.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 11:04
Hello i hope everyone is well.
I took 8 clones of one plant as it was getting way taller and bushier than the other but after 4 days in a propagator they are as limp and lifeless as can be.
I tried to follow Jorge Cervantes tut in his vids as closely as possible but i fear they may be for the bin or do you think they may pickup?
I also have develloped a few leaves that have unusual marks,i have looked about for critters but cannot seem to find any.
Sorry about the quality of the photos its a crap camera i have.
Everyone have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 14:41
hey i don't really know alot about clones, i've only rooted one :) I've worked with a couple after they've rooted.

4 days in the prop is no time, they could take a while longer yet so don't give up.

I know they get worse before they get better, but one of the others who's a clone master will say :)

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 18:00
patience kph they can take up to 3 weeks mate.
perhaps dont spray as heavy, only realy fine mist,if any and keep the soil wetter. i think they look ok you will find they will look a lot worse before they root or as they root,usual practice just pretend they are seedlings, very fragile dont make the mistake of test pulling on the stems to see if they have rooted just tend to them be patient and do your best,you will see thats enough. and even if you lost a couple you would still have 6 and a good notch of experience to go with them for next time not to mention some mature skunk genetics to multiply at your hearts desire, good luck and keep us up to date ,,,,,CK

-------------

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 18:53
Hey,

a friend of mine says never spays the clones? just keep em at 90% humidity and they'll be fine, he also said he roots all his clones in the dark?

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 19:14
Hello guys i hope you both are well.
Ive been watching loads of cloning vids and peoples techniques vary widely i guess i will just have to see how the babies get on but they do look pathetic like a wet lettuce.
I was only going to keep one of the pair of plants as a mother and use the other for clones so this was more of a test run really.
I was thinking of having maybe 16 clones vegging for about 2-3 weeks then putting them into flower while they are small as i only have a 1.2x1.2x1.8 tent with a 600w dual spectrum hps.
As always your input is much appreciated.
Have a good evening

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 21:56
that would work, hold back on the leaf spraying and wait. keep moist with plain ph'd water and you will have enough babies to flower you will see i dont know about rooting in the dark ive not tried that,
and humidity ive allways kept about the same as my grow conditions and thats not measure it,lol i supose i just guess/ feel if it needs altering i suppose i should buy a meter of some discription and see what the read out truely is but like i always say i will on the next grow lol

-------------

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 22:08
`hey,

just want to point out that that's what i was told, even so i still did my one in 24hrs light :)

Date Posted: 20 April 2012 at 22:13
yeah its suprising how hardy they are mellow, the last 4 i did i lost one because i cut it to short baked, the other 2 i gave away are doing fine, im going to take cuttings from my white widow x super skunk tomorrow, my jack herer bean has sprouted and the C x33 still waiting on the white label white widow to make an apearence im sure shes coming to the party

-------------

Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 00:00
Where there's green there's hope.

What's the soil you have them in, how deep is that seed tray and what light are you giving them?

Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 13:38
Hello HD i hope you are well.
Its just some off the peg potting compost.
The seed tray is about 60mm deep and the cuttings are roughly 30mm into it and they are under a lid under a 85 watt cfl and i used clonex.
I may dissolve a few viagra in some water and see if that makes them stand a bit more erect.
I think a few are starting to pickup but maybe thats just my eyes playing tricks on me,i'm just gonna keep makeing sure they don't dry out and see what happens,you live and learn.
You have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: Proteus
Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 19:47
There is alot of leaf area on what are very small clones. Im not sure about spraying them but certainly keep the humidity at max possible for a bit. As you get into cloning you will find that normal propagators are stupidly small and force you into taking clones that are of a size that puts their survival in doubt. Its annoying, when you look for a better propagator you find that the only ones that are really useful start at about £200. I have often thought that a cheap plastic fish tank might be of use but atm im using soft drink bottles. I tend to open them at least once a day to refresh the air. 

Obviously if you want to do hundreds of clones you better get drinking :)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 April 2012 at 20:31
Hello Proteus i hope you are well.
If my eyes aren't deceiving me they do seem to be dragging themselves up.
I did trim the leaves and yeh i know what you mean about the propagator.
The clones probably ranged 5-7 inches but like i say its all a new experience and something that i should get better at in time.
You have a nice weekend and thanks for your input.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 22 April 2012 at 22:11
This is the second time today I've read about someone cloning in the dark. That doesn't make any sense to me.

The plant is pushing out root, using massive amounts of energy. Photosynthesis is still going on in the leaves, while at the same time the cut uses stored sugars from the fans. Deny them that little bit of photosynthesis that they're able to do and I would think you'd get failed clones, or clones that have been severely weakened by the time they root and need a lot of tlc to get back on the move.

My cuts root in a mini-domed hothouse under 24hrs full spectrum 40w floros

Just my 2 cents though, there may be a perfectly valid reason people are doing it.

Date Posted: 23 April 2012 at 10:39
Hello Melvan i hope everything is good with you.
I did see some you tube vids were they kept them in the dark for the first 24 hours and then put them under lights but like i said peoples techniques vary widely.
I am trying to take in as much advice as possible from people who do clone as this is my first attempt.
They do seem to be starting to stand up a little taller and this is 7 days now since i cut them,they have been under the dome since day one but today i opened the vents a tad to start acclimatising them to the grow areas conditions a bit and i will keep a close eye on them to see what if any effect this has.
As always your opinion is much appreciated.
You have a good day

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 23 April 2012 at 10:58
hi kph, i do my cuttings pretty much the bog standard way except i do not mist them as this only causes problems i also keep the rockwool/peat pellets slightly on the dry side after a few days as i find they root faster & more vigorously, i know a lot of people who as soon as there is a root showing whack them in compost but i like to leave them a few days to build up a good root mass then transplant the them. hope this helps    

edit i think i posted this on the wrong thread lol

Date Posted: 23 April 2012 at 16:35
I'm going to take 2 cuts of Deadhead OG today from the exact same plant. I think I'll put one in the dark for 24 hrs, the other just in the hothouse under the light, see if I see any change in rooting times, which on this girl is about 7 days. I'll let you know what I find.

Date Posted: 23 April 2012 at 17:32
Hello Sickle and Melvan i hope you both are well.
Sickle i was wondering about the misting as when i misted them the first time as soon as they had been cut the leaves seemed to be pinned to the compost and i was also thinking about whether they would send out roots quicker to look for water if there wasn't much available.
Melvan i will be very interested to see how you get on with your experiment.
You both have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 27 April 2012 at 21:58
Hello i hope everyone is well.
Well after nearly 3 weeks in the propagator it looks as though all the clones i took have rooted[i think]as they are all stood up nicely.
I should have my new space shorted this comeing week so i can get my tent set up and get at least one plant under 12 12 600hps.
I have also decided to go with deep water culture and ordered all the tackle i require which was quite cheap really.pumps,air stones,buckets,net pots and sensi grow A+B and bloom A+B for a six plant set up for just less than a 100 quid.
Also built a bubble cloner today cost 15 quid all in and took 15 minutes and thank you Ganja for the advice on that one,just waiting on my ph pen and i will get some cuttings stuck in it.
I will post some pictures up within the next few days when there's something for you guys to look at.
Anyone have any experience with DWC and have any advice it would be much appreciated.
Happy weekend everyone

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 28 April 2012 at 16:11
Well that is good news kp. You'll know when they've taken, you should slowly see lighter green growth at the centres. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2012 at 17:50
Hello HD i hope you and the seedlings are doing well[which they look to be]
The reason i built the bubble cloner was because of the speed at which they seem to root so i can't wait to get some cuttings it it to give it a whirl.Have also been watching tons of videos about deep water culture and how fast they seem to grow so decided to give that a go as well.
Can't wait to get cracking.
You have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: jmyers1944
Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 05:50
HOPE ALL IS WELL!!
   looking good

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:55
Hello 1944 i hope you are well.
I have been busy trying to sort my new grow space and should have it sorted within the next 4-5 days.
I built a bubble cloner and got some cuttings in it a few days ago and they are progressing very nicely.
The next week should see my grow start in earnest as up until now i have just been setting myself up to hopefully have a continuous grow on the go.
You have a nice weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:36
good luck on your dwc mate ill look forward to seeing your progress,
somthing ive looked into before, as its simple nature and set up are very apealing how did your other clones in soil go i hope they rooted,,CK

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 13:11
Hello CK i hope you are well.
When i moved them out of the propagator tray into the net pots to go in the bubble cloner all the compost fell off so it was easy to see the root formation which there was very little of.
They have been in the bubbler for a couple of days now and on some they have about two inches of roots hanging out of the net pots
From what i have seen they seem to be very good because if a numbty noob like me can get good results anyone can.
DWC looks so easy and the results look very impressive but the results i have seen have come from experianced growers so i might completely balls it up.
Cannot wait to get my new grow area and tent set up as the conditions they are in at the moment are far from ideal and i am surprised they have even managed to survive at all.
Have a good bank holiday weekend CK and i hope everything is growing well with you.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:52
good thanks kph, pleased to hear you've got things sorted,
im going to make a bubble cloner for my next batch mate
it sounds quicker and cheaper in the long run saves on coco/soil etc
just always stuck em in the medium and they usualy root,
but they can be slow rooting somtimes and if theres an easy'r way,
smokers usualy find it

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 13:41
Hello CK i just thought i would put up a few pictures of the root development after 3 and a half days in the bubble cloner.
Before they went in the cloner there was only the start of the rooting process and they were literally about 5mm long and today there is about 4-5 inches hanging out of the 50mm net pot.
I was just holding them back trying to root them in soil but they all now have a desent root system developing.
Less than 20 quid for pump,air stone and bucket and less than 10 minutes to set up you can't go wrong.
You have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:22
Hello all.
Heres a few photos of the two mothers i have and also the root development on the clones in the bubble cloner.I have replaced a few of the cuttings in the cloner with what i considered to be better clones so obviously they are way behind the others which seem to be doing really well.
The one that has been topped twice

The short arse that has been topped once

The root development on the clones.

The clones which are coming along nicely.

I was toying with the idea of flowering one of the mothers but which one do you guys think?
The one in the first photo has been topped twice and the second has been topped once and the second one has always been a slow and very compact plant were as the other if i had not topped it twice would easilly be over a foot taller than its sister.
All advice is much appreciated.
All have a good day.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:34
they look great kph, you've got me thinking now about bubble cloning, the first plant looks like it would be a fine candidate for flowering nice bushy shape even growth good luck with what ever you choose   

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 20:39
As a noob and this being my first grow the mothers have suffered some abuse at my hands but they have managed to survive.
To be honest i was considering flowering the smaller more compact of the two as i want to keep a mother for clones and is it right that the clones i take from a slow growing mother will also tend to be slow growing?
But as i know very little and you are far more experienced i will take your advice and if i keep the smallest as a mother at least she will not take up valuable space.
I have been working hard at trying to finish my new grow space and get the tent up and get something into 12/12 but as you know sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day.
Thanks for the advice as always it is much appreciated.
You have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 22:31
Hello all i hope everyone is hunky dory.
Eventually got my new grow space with tent setup after probably 40 hours worth of work.
Got the veg area setup then when i was setting up the 2 dwc and a soil grown plant that i intend to flower i snapped two of the upper branches training the soil one so done a quick fix with a cable tie.
Has anyone any experience of trying to fix a damaged plant?how long should i leave the tie on for?
All have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 21:07
Hello all.
Bloody typical i order a 6 inch inline fan and cool tube and the weather turns and drops 10 degrees.
Off on hols to eire for a week so have a freind looking after things while i am away i just hope that that theres life in them by the time i get back.
All have a good week.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by kph1966

Hello all.
Bloody typical i order a 6 inch inline fan and cool tube and the weather turns and drops 10 degrees.
Off on hols to eire for a week so have a freind looking after things while i am away i just hope that that theres life in them by the time i get back.
All have a good week.

Hey,

Have a good holiday :), don't worry it'll be warm again before the summers out, and the plants will like the extra fresh air they are getting :)_

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:47
at least your ready for the next global warming attack kph lol,
and i wish you and your family a pleasant holiday and a safe return

-------------

Date Posted: 08 June 2012 at 22:38
Thanks Mellow and CK.
Just got back from Donegal and as usual had a belting time and to top it all the weather was brilliant for 5 of the 7 days.
Just flipped the girls[at least i hope they are girls]to 12/12 so now the next bit of the learning process begins.
All have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 10 June 2012 at 00:07
good stuff mate get them girls blooming

-------------

Date Posted: 19 June 2012 at 11:27
Hello all.
A couple of crappy photos taken on my old phone of the largest of the three plants i have put into flower.
Shes been in a compost from day one and is now on a diet of sensi bloom A+B.She stands about 30 inches and is absolutely covered in but sites as i topped her twice and also took about a dozen clones from the top of her.
The other two plants are a bit smaller as they were never touched but were clones in a bubbler then into DWC.
These two stand at about 2 feet tall but are not bushy at all but they are more of a test run ready for the next lot of clones i have waiting.

Everyone have a good week.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 19 June 2012 at 11:35
well done mate

-------------

Date Posted: 19 June 2012 at 15:56
Cheers CK
Thank feck they are female so now i can uncross my testicles.
With the amount of bud sites appearing and the fact that she is about 5 months from germ i would imagine she will yield a descent amount of bud {he says crossing his testicles again}.
Like i said the two in the DWC are more of a test run but i will be topping the fresh batch of clones i have waiting because they are at about 10 inches tall now so they will get another 30 days of veg,
Then i will put them to flower in anther area before moving them into the tent as soon as these get chopped.
The idea is to have a constant stream going.
Cannot wait to try some home grown produce especially one with such a awesome reputation as super skunk.
Have a good evening

-------------
Live and let live

Posted By: alecky
Date Posted: 20 June 2012 at 12:02
Looking good kph, let the fun begin!%3chumbs%20Up good luck with the flowering and also good luck untangling your testicles.

-------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"

Date Posted: 20 June 2012 at 15:02
Hello Alecky i hope you and your little green ones are doing well.

Cheers, i think i shall like the flowering part of the grow better than the planting seed,taking clones ect ect though i did enjoy those parts as well.
The biggest pain has been the expense of buying the equipment all the learning and the physical part i have thoroughly enjoyed and hopefully will continue to for the rest of my days,
That said i have a way to go yet to complete my first grow and i undoubtedly still have it in me to fuck things up.
BEST HOBBIE BAR NONE.
My wife's took my testicles off me and said i can have them back when i learn to take better care of them.
You have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 21 June 2012 at 21:27
Well done on getting this far kp, like you say, the most enjoyable bit is coming up. You will savour it.

Date Posted: 21 June 2012 at 21:40
Hello HD i hope you are well and i know your plants are because I've just been lookin at them,
I am surprised i have made it this far as i really have knocked the shit out of them from just about day one and still they take it all in their stride.
You have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 21 June 2012 at 22:00
I'll admit to thinking you were starting too technical for a first bash, but hat's off to you kp, you have obviously studied hard for what you wanted to achieve. Most 1st growers just want some bud and fast.

Date Posted: 22 June 2012 at 14:38
Yeh i know what you mean i was thinking the same at times but if i think i am capable of doing something i will give it a go.
I presume i got the two stars because of the different things i have tried all be it my first grow.
But one thing i am sure of is that if they had not been such a hardy plant i would have probably failed miserably..Am loving the flowering cycle as i can see new growth every time i check on them and i think the soil grown one is going to be a beast with probably over two dozen heads on her.
I just hope i have the room to accommodate her size.
You have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 22 June 2012 at 14:43
i have to say KPH i did think you'd hit the ground running too, but youve done well mate the plants look healthy and i hope you enjoy your harvest

Date Posted: 22 June 2012 at 14:55
One of the best bits of advice i would give to any new grower would be to ask for advice if you do not know something as i did and you will receive expert advice from all the friendly members here.
I doubt i would have come close to getting were i am now if it was not for all the kind support.
Floods today don't you just love the English weather.
Thanks to everyone and all have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 17:06

Hello all
15 days into 12/12 and all seems to be ok.
This plant was grown in soil from seed and has been vegging for about four and a half months and also acting as a mother.
The pictures off my shitty old camera and lack of space in which to take photos do not do her justice i think she is going to really please me with her final yield.

These two below are the two that are in a deep water culture and are clones off the soil grown one above.I think they have suffered a tad as there was a power outage about a week ago for 4 hours so obviously there was no air pumps and lights.

They are all fed advanced nutes sensi bloom A+B
Everyone have a good weekend.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 17:34
Looking real nice. She needs a blast of N though, looking a little light in color and getting yellow tipping.

That first monster is going to give you lots of yield, good job.

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 20:04
Hello Melvan i hope you are well.
I am using advanced nutes and in the DWC my EC is 1.9 and my PH is 5.9 could you suggest what i could do apart from upping my nute dose to raise the N level?
I was thinking that the problem with the dwc might have been due to the electric being off for several hours early in flowering so no air pumps or lights and i was hoping in would correct itself.
As always the advice from such a seasoned grower such as yourself is much appreciated.
Thanks and have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 23 June 2012 at 23:58
Hey kph, you just need to get a bottle of nitrogen supplement if you aren't comfortable just increasing the feed you have now. If you can't find this brand where you are I'm sure you can find something similar, or order something like it online.

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=NOOCNX&eq=&MatrixType=1

Date Posted: 24 June 2012 at 14:36
Thanks Melvan.
I will have a hunt around and see if i can lay my hands on some.
Have a good evening.

-------------
Live and let live

Date Posted: 24 June 2012 at 16:27
Just been and given the two DWC 6 ml of sensi grow part A 3.0.0 to each 12 litre pot so i hope this will help with the N deficiency.
Being as this is my first grow its a case of trying different things and seeing how things workout but i will continue to ask and take notice of the kind experienced growers here.
As always any advice is much appreciated.
Have a good evening all.

-------------
Live and let live

Print Page | Close Window