Pollenated Female Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stoneGrower View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pollenated Female Question
    Posted: 01 September 2011 at 11:19
Hey everyone, I have a plant growing outdoors that started flowering about 2-3 weeks back. Very early into flowering I noticed that calyxes were beginning to swell up all over the place and assumed they were just mature calyxes. Yesterday I decided to open one of them up and found a seed. So basically three weeks into flowering my plant has somehow been pollinated and there 15-20 visible swollen calyxes on the plant, and bud production has pretty much stopped or slowed down. I can't seem to find a single male flower anywhere, but had a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help with:

1. Is there any point in growing this plant until harvest? Will there be any THC production considering the plant was pretty much pollinated in its first couple of weeks of flowering?

2. Is it ok to pull off all the swollen calyxes?

3. How do I prevent an outdoor plant from being pollinated by the wind?

4. Will this plant still be good for making hash?

Thanks.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 11:35
1. The plant should continue to produce new buds and calyxes, even if it was pollinated early in the flowering phase. Pollination should not stop a female from continuing to flower.

2. Yes, but it won't make a difference to how the female continues to flower. The plant may devote a tiny amount of energy to forming the seeds, but this won't affect budding. Picking off the seeded calyxes will cause a certain amount of stress to the plant. Might as well leave them on and collect the seeds when mature. They might turn into something interesting.

3. Not really possible. If there's pollen in the air there's no way to filter it out. Taking plants inside would be the only option. If was a source of pollen dangerously close, it could cause hundreds or thousands of seeds to start forming. A few dozen seeds shouldn't be too much of a problem.

4. Sure. It should also be fine for continuing to flower and making good sized buds. It's only 2-4 weeks into flowering, after all.

Growers who are concerned that there's still pollen in the air have the option of giving plants a light misting of water every day or so. Water deactives cannabis pollen very quickly. The work of spraying plants once or twice a day is probably not worth the return though.

All in all, don't worry too much about a few seeds. It's only really a problem if a large proportion of calyxes get pollinated. Plants should continue to produce new bud.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
stoneGrower View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 11:58
Thanks ganja. I'm not sure what the source was, but it has been extremely windy this month and so it could have been anywhere. If the plant continues to produce seeds then does that mean the calyxes are forming and then continuing to get pollinated? Is that likely or do male flowers die after releasing their pollen?

Post Reply Post Reply