Very tempted to flower with T5’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ruthy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ruthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very tempted to flower with T5’s
    Posted: 29 June 2011 at 20:34

I decided to start this thread as I’ve really been curious about growing (through flowering as well after changing to appropriate bulbs) with T5’s. I know that the harvest won’t be a big as you would get with HID lighting, but what really interests me as approximately what percentage would you be able to achieve (in the same time period). Say for example would it be 80%, like 20% less that you would get with HID or even less.

I really have tried to find a conclusive answer to this question, but no one seems to really grow all the way through with T5’s or CFL’s so allot of the opinions that you come across seem to be just regurgitations  of things that someone briefly herd of someone else (who also had no direct experience of growing with fluorescents).

I even brought up the subject at a couple of grow shops in town, but again since everyone seems to grow with HID’s it’s hard to get an accurate percentage.

sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 20:45
"everyone grows with hid light" theres your answer
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 22:08
Give it a go ruthy you have nothing to lose and you will Deffo get a decent enough harvest. On my first grow I used 5 4th florescents with growlux bulbs in them and got some decent bud. The main disadvantages are that the lower amount of lux and the fact the light from the t5 wont penetrate far beyond the canopy. I think a scrog grow would be best where you can keep the canopy even and the bulbs very close to the canopy. I use a t5 in my veg room, they give off quite a lot of light. Also I found the buds grown under the floro's not as dense as those grown under a hps but it was my first grow and more than likely down to inexperience!!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
sixpiece View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote sixpiece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 00:11
my friend from usa he flowers with t5s and gets excellent results. he has a bunch of them. 1 watt of fluorescent = 1 watt of high intensity discharge so need not worry if you have enough wattage for a plant about 200 watts per plant is necessary but 100 will be just doable.
stinkysticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 04:35
here are some random pics from 2009, all CFL grow %3cig%3c :

and here is one of my favorites from another time, same setup:

all of them had 4, max. 5 weeks of veg. and about 9 or 10 of flower.

i hope they satisfy your curiosity. CFL's are with random results, but if used right they can give you maybe a little over half the yield from a medium wattage hps.
"When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself."
Bob Marley
TheUkOne View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheUkOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:33

thats the most amount of lights ive ever seen in a tent that size lol

sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:34
sorry ruthy i was a bit harsh in my first post, i started out with florescent lights and although i got a yield it was nothing compered to when i switched to hps but its horses of courses i guess. the thing i found is if you going to use hundreds of watts of fl/cfl lights you might as well use a 150w-250w hid light anyway good luck with whatever you chose.
Ruthy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Ruthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:08

Don’t worry about it. This is one of the things with communication over the internet rather than face to face. It can detach us from feeling a connectedness with others and in turn just focus on our own impulses.

Recently I’ve been listening to a guy called Max Igan (you can find his broadcasts on you tube) and I think that looking at reality as he describes it can solve allot of the psychological and emotional problems in the world.

It’s OK, I’m not saying you have emotional problems its just I’m a psychologist and just wanted to share the broadcast with people.

Ruthy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Ruthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:10
Originally posted by stinkysticky

here are some random pics from 2009, all CFL grow %3c3cig%3c3c :

and here is one of my favorites from another time, same setup:

all of them had 4, max. 5 weeks of veg. and about 9 or 10 of flower.

i hope they satisfy your curiosity. CFL's are with random results, but if used right they can give you maybe a little over half the yield from a medium wattage hps.

Yep, it has satisfied my curiosity.

Those are some really note worthy points that everyone made.

But as I was starting to understand the whole fluorescent thing I came across this article http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2411.html

It seems like a really good idea.

Reiaku View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Reiaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 21:45
Amazing indeed!
stinkysticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 03:17
Great idea, i think i've seen it once on discovery. I think in that system, a 600W HPS with a cooltube and a proper fan would give amazing results. Most likely better than 1000W cfl. It's in the spectrum...

Another thing, the price makes me %3cuch Luckily, i'm %3cig%3c
"When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself."
Bob Marley
 Post Reply Post Reply