Starsky & H.K. weed leaf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stinkysticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 02:21
thanks, UK. they seem to escape the pest realm when put into flower. at least 87%

so, does anyone recognize the pests?
"When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself."
Bob Marley
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 21:42
lol, you crazy sticky.%3co%20high

little one are looking good, you ever thought about stoping and giving the room a very good clean with some heavy duty shit, to get rid of the baskets for good?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 02:56
That's a very good idea. i had that revelation yesterday but other things started happening :)

2 days ago i made some changes in every department but i didn't clean properly. Instead, i moved the late HK clone into a little bigger pot and put it in the flowering tent. Also, i repotted some N.B.'s which were meant to go outside but got stuck with me and i put another N.B., 2 HK seeds and one that i found in one of the HK's from last time, to germinate. I put 3 more warm white cfls in the tent, too. Oh, i also moved the tomatoes on the balcony. I hope they'll do fine although a lot of insects are out there.

Tomorrow i'll hopefully redesign the veg.chamber. backacheing job.

Sorry if i'm not clear enough. The hash scratched from the grinder made me very %3cig%3c I hope no plastic got in there. Good night everybody!
Bob Marley
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 19:34
About 3 or 4 days ago, i cleaned the veg. room and remade it ( other A4 papers to reflect the light and i added 1 more cold white cfl in the middle). I cleaned it with sanitary alcohol. It must have destroyed anything inside. The N.B. was a little affected by the tiny insects that turn into very small flies ( nobody can say for sure what they are? ) so i cleaned her also, very gently, with a moist thingy. I don't see any more on her, but 3 more flies were killed today, in the near area, by me.
While i was away, the other N.B. seed germinated and started forming it's first pair of leaves. Luckily, the tissue remained moist, so i planted her and things are looking bright. To not damage it's root too much, i cut the surrounding tissue and put it in the soil, also.

Again, the plants in the flower tent reached the light. This time, there was some burned stuff, but not too much...My main concern is the oldest HK in flower, from this batch, because some leaves started getting yellow. I watered it today with chem.food which contains about 5% N so, i hope she'll come through.

The heat is also driving both me and probably the girls, insane. Almost 35 degrees C in the veg. room %3cacko

Photo time.

there are now 2 fans, except the lame exhaust one. They seem to manage keeping the tent less humid, so maybe no budrot this time :)

Vegging plants:
N.B. #1, for about 13 days:

N.B. #2, which i planted with the little tissue, yesterday night:

HK #whatever...:

Starsky clones, in which i don't have faith anymore %3cnhappy I'll switch the light to 21h or more, maybe it'll help. Or i'll clone in the flowering room and put back to veg after a while. I don't wanna lose Starsky forever.  :

Flowering girls:
HK#2, clone:

HK #3, clone:

Starsky #1:

Starsky #2. This one looks pretty freaky :

and, finally, HK#1:

and one of her affected leaves:

%3ceed%20leaf
Bob Marley
TheUkOne View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheUkOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 23:06
nice jungle stinkysticky

im sure you will conquer the insects soon

also about clones, i thought they had to be on 24hr light ?
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 06:46
The picture of the leaf doesn't tally with anything I can think of but...
tiny insects that turn into very small flies ( nobody can say for sure what they are? )

... that description usually goes with scarid fly (fungus gnats).

Check around the soil in the top of the pots, you might be able to see the little buggers moving about. There are many ways of dealing with them, I prefer yellow sticky traps to catch the adult flies and drier soil so the lava don't have a good environment to breed.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 20:07
thanks for giving me a start, sarah. i googled for fungus gnats and it's not them, but on the same site, i found the true culprits. It's the thrips.
Here are a couple of pictures with them and their effects on leaves:

they lay their eggs inside the leaf, grow wings on the soil, after which they lay some more eggs. so, i'll get scrwd if i don't stop them.

i'll buy sticky traps as you said, as soon as i can, and something more lethal for the larvae.
One thing is good, the girls are not that far into flower so they would get unhealthy for me.

Today i tested a little from the oldest HK in flower. I'm still %3cig%3c
Bob Marley
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 20:10
Thank uUK. It's best to do it on 24h of light, yes, but i don't like light while i'm sleeping :)

I'm gonna sacrifice myself to save the gene %3ceed%20leaf
Bob Marley
Hash Driveway View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 21:20
Hope you get it sorted stinkysticky and DEATH! to the thrips. 
TheUkOne View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheUkOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 23:04
Originally posted by stinkysticky

Thank uUK. It's best to do it on 24h of light, yes, but i don't like light while i'm sleeping :)

I'm gonna sacrifice myself to save the gene %3c3ceed%3c20leaf

ive got to admit stinkysticky you are one determined guy, keep it up and you will do very well
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 10:22
Thrips and fungus gnats are often mistaken for each other.

Pyrethrum is a good, effective poison for both.

Thrips are not desirable, obviously, but they're also not a disaster in the same way as spider mites. They're much more susceptible to simple, low-toxic poisons like pyrethrum and they really have to infest plant to cause significant damage.

A serious spider mite infestation is, for some growers, a reason to get rid of the crop and start again. With thrips, a grower can eradicate them or reduce them to negligible numbers without too much hassle.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 12:40
Pyrethrums are great looking flowers. i'm gonna search for them or even grow them to try it out. May the bugs beware!!!

Last grow, one of the best hk's had thrips (didn't know what they were, then), but they didn't do as much damage as now. Maybe now i lowered the humidity too much, making them feel better.

It's a funny thing. Once you get too conscious about certain problems, they seem to appear more intense than ever...or is it just because of the circumstances? %3cmile
Bob Marley
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 12:45
Good to know you have a solid ID for the bugs... just have to get rid of them now. 
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 13:02
After reading about their behavior, life cycle and seeing the pics, i got sure it's them. I hope i'll have the opportunity to buy some sticky bug traps, soon, too. Hopefully, by breaking one of the thrips grow stage, they will all dissapear.
What caused this is my main concern, so it won't happen again. Since this problem started from last time's grow, i blame the soil (used the same then and now). It probably wasn't sterilized %3cnhappy
I was recently told about how to sterilize the soil, but it takes really long. Useful in outdoor growing.
Bob Marley
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stinkysticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 15:49
Yesterday i opened a bucket with worm soil mixed with the soil which i blamed and guess what. There was a little mold on the soil and a lot of thrips and other deadly looking insects. I left the bucket a little open, not too much. The humidity inside must have caused this, but also the soil. I've done the same thing before and there were no bugs.

Anyway, i also bought an insecticide which says it's pretty natural and another type of soil that looks very healthy and mixed with a little phosphate and other stuff. One of the Starsky clones was moved in it.

I sprayed the thrip harmer all over the infected plants in veg and a little on the flowering ones (mostly on the leaves).

Pics:
Veg. chamber:

N.B.#1 in 24 days of veg.:

N.B #2:

HK:

Starsky #1 clone:

Starsky #2 clone:

The other starsky clone didn't survive.

Flowering tent:

Starsky #1:

Starsky #2:

HK#2 clone, like her mom, lots of branches:

HK #3 clone, very slow flowering:

and HK#1, the old:

%3ceed%20leaf
got a few seeds from starsky's maker. can't wait to see what they turn into.
Bob Marley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>