Dougal and Headie's 1st Grow and Journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 23:02
the windows are all quite open and over-looking streets so I don't really want to do that :) I'm not fussed about waiting for stuff, but yeah seeds are going be the 1st thing we order -
yeah we're going to be putting 6 seeds in to germ and hope that we can crack all 6 :D
Dougal and headies 1st grow ! http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8380&PID=68955#68955
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 23:05
Good luck with your grow D&H
Peace
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 04:54
Originally posted by mellowchris

if the balast runs the mh, which im sure most do, then you can get a bulb cheap enough. dont get me wrong though you could veg them fine with your hps, just thought if you was gonna buy a cfl then it might be cheaper to get the mh.im not sure about a normal fluro's form an electric shop? plants in veg like the blue spectrum light and in flower the red spectrum. if you did get a mh bulb, first make sure that its fine in your ballast, if you've got a 600w ballest then im unsure if anything smaller will work( again the guys from the shop should say).about the electric bills. the 250w blue cfl that i've got uses alot less than the hps, so when you've got them in 18/6 think it might be a bit costly with the hps, but you'll get back any costs and then sum. not sure how much the mh costs as i've never used one.how many plants were you planning to grow in your tent? edit = i think 6 will be a good number for you tent, veg them till there 12"

Hmm what I was thinking was I'd put my germed seeds in my small pots, then literately for the first 2 weeks I'd just keep them under a kitchen strip light in the tent like 2inch above them just so they have some light too grow up too, then I'd switch to the hps for for the vegging once they had grown into nice little seedlings? Is that wrong? or do I need the blue spectrum just for those 2 weeks? If this is the case I will get a MH bulb for our ballast and use it for the full veg period. Going to go search some threads to see what I can find.
Dougal and headies 1st grow ! http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8380&PID=68955#68955
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 10:41
to be honest i'd say, i dont know?

i'm not sure a kitchen strip light is any good for the plants? it might be, just i personaly of not heard of people vegging with just one of those.(alone)

there wouldn't be a problem putting them under the hps from the start. i got cfl, i thought that it made it a little easier as you dont have to worry about, heat, how close the bulb is and electricty.

but to be honest it's up to you.

p.s anyone else wanna put some more advice in, i dont wanna stear him in the wrong direction?

Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 10:54
Oh just to make it clear I wasn't going to do the whole vegging stage under the strip:) Just the first 2 weeks or even less until the seedlings have formed then I would put them under the HPS. I think We're gonna shell out and get the MH lamp anyway. Seems like a good idea.
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 19:42
Got everything put together now ! And I must say for me and Headie it looks pretty pro :D just going to run the light, fan and filter now for an 18/6 to see what temps we get up to in there. Ill get some pics uploaded later tonight or tomorrow.
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 20:14
sweet, sounds like its comming on nicely mate.
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 02:05
HMMM after 6 hours the temp in the ten was 90 degrees f :( ive moved the temp gage a little further down the tent to take a reading lower as maybe i just was taking a reading a little too high , bit worried at the moment because thats so high .

EDIT. Well after leaving it overnight and taking readings with the temp gauge lower down in the tent it was still very high:( But the thing is after having the light off for 5 hours its STILL reading 75 F , and it doesn't even feel that warm in there , looking for another thermometer to put in there in case the digi one I bought is wrong. I guess I can open the outside flaps up on the side during light phases to improve temps ( as that's what they are there for) When we get some small oscillating fans in there will that help lower the temp? I cant think of any other ways of controlling the temp in there.
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 19:14
i think that if its saying it 90 and you go in and it feels cold then the temp might be off.

the side inlets can be opened for extract air intake, also they shouldnt let much light in.
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 21:29
nah i checked it and the other thermo reads the same, got a air cooler for the room outside the tent now, and I think if we open those side inlets with an oscillating fan as well I think that should keep the temp down. Also were going to set the lights off phase between 11am and 5 pm so during the hottest part of the day the lights are off I think that should help a ton. Still havent got round to taking pictures I'll try to take them tonight.
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 22:04
good i dea to have lights off in the day, even though 12 should be hotest i find that the house tyakes awile to heat up then cools down later, so i'd do 12pm-6pm or even 1-7 dependant on how hot it gets. thats one of the beniftits of a cfl, i've got it in a room with no air extraction and the max temps 24.5c lowest 19.6c.
Dougalis View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Dougalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 15:08
ARGHGHGHGH the temp is insane! not sure how we are going to combat this, Hopefully once we put those oscillating fans in it will drop it some:( maybe we need a stronger fan although we already upgraded the fan too one size larger than was recommended. Will have the pics up today though finally !
TheDeparted View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 16:14
im having same trouble d&h.
its a bit different for me as i have a 2 room system in one divided by a mylar wall.
my cfl runs 24/7 and with the hps of im getting a nice constant temp of 20c yet a few hrs after the hps comes on it gets to 31 32c after 2 hours.
i just open grow room door for half hr every 3 hrs but soon i wont be able to do this as smell will be a huge issue.
ive been told with higer temps like that if u water more often the heat doesnt affect the plants as bad but still worried as ive got a few monsters now and if they went bad now id be gutted to say the least.
think it was martini that said if u get 1 of them freezer packs u can hang it in front of ur fan and will drop temps a little so might try it.
things are only gonna get worse but if i can get another 6 2 8 weeks outta this setup then i can upgrade so fingers crossed.
goodluck guys
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 21:53
Temps of 30+ aren't great, but i grew in them before and got decent bud, before i sorted out proper inlet and outlet fans. I've never heard of watering more helping with the heat, but i know more co2 helps plants cope much bettr in higher temps, so if you can get yourself some co2 in there that would be great.

I used to use these little tablets, you'd drop them into 1/2 a litre of water and they would slowly fix and give off co2. But you'd need 3 a day for 12 hours, and it would get too expensive, i only used the ones i had and never rebought, just a tent with fans and filters and a good light is all you need. I still got my battered old 400watt. As soon as it is possible i am buying an aircooled light.
Green-Thumb Growing
TheDeparted View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 00:24
cheers for that solid just need to get to the finnish line on this one bud and then can upgrade.
gonna go buy a bigger oscaliting fan in the morn. even if it can get a few degree of my temps then ill be happy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>