LED GROW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 09:53
Hi Dylmadness!
 Good that you start about the lumens!
Led light is not measured in lumens ( websites that speak about led and lumens are not the good ones!!)
Lumens is what the human eye sees, leds give light in the unvisible blue and red so maybe if the light are on you only see 50% (i guess) so leds are measured in something else, i forgot what.
What important is is that lumens say nothing in LED grow!
And if you want to buy leds first look around on the websites of different suppliers, there is a lot of bluff, they fight there marketshare.
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 18:51
last test result:
plants had 400 hps until the stretch was over after that they had 50/50 led and hps and last 2 weeks only led.
i used 400 w son t agro master pia + green power hps and 2 ufo's of 50 w each , i used 1.5 m2 grow space.
normaly i use for the same space 1 hps of 600 w. so i saved 100 watts which is almost 20 % less electricity.
the yield was 80% of the yield from under hps only.
The buds were more solid than under hps only.
Btw i grow not with 1 lot plants but with different lots/height.the space was constantly filled with different age plants so it is not an exact result but it is less worse than expected
80% yield is almost ok if you have more solid,healthier buds!
The plant loves the leds but doesnt show a big yield.My plants were scrog-like grown , i think plants with one headbud will give less yield.
The plants drink less and use less food, it is 1-0 for hps but not 100% in all cases, LED is nice as an extra light source.
I wouldnt try a 100% led grow at this moment, for that i need a wider and stronger spectrum.
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 19:37
well to quote dylan 'the time are a changing' I honestly think that in the next couple of years, they'll do the job.
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 09:46
well they better get changing soon as i think the EU are planning to ban hps lamps along with some other inefficient bulbs starting this year. dooms day is upon us

* 2012: Phase out of high-pressure sodium (HPS) standard quality lamps (only E27/ E40/ PGZ12 affected).
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 13:03
source sickle?

If true that's teribal news. As someone who sells lighting systems, I thought I would have heard of this as it would mean masive benifits to my company. We had the lighting expert down the other week, and i asked him that exact question. I said the gov are making us get rid of halogen light bulbs and making us use floro's, will this happen for business's, he said now way. At the mo at HPS is the most cost effective lighting, but led's are catching?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 13:50
bloody hell mellow your a handy bloke to know, there's a very exciting pdf file on the eu website lol it sounds like they are going to start with counsels, businesses,etc and work down to domestic use by 2020. not only that it will be illegal to import/sell them in the eu. but i could be wrong

mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 14:59
Jesus,

Time to start stock pilling then, lol.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 15:12
its not only hps it MH,t5 t12, some cfl's but i would of thought they would offer an alternative(leds), at the very least the hps we know and love is going to change
dylmadness View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote dylmadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 21:43
If what i'm hearing is true then that is bad....i was hoping that when i finally get a steady source of power from a water turbine, that may not happen for a few years yet, that the HPS's would come out of their boxes have the dust blown off, and that the indoor fields would be fat once again. But the LED industry is there as the light at the end of the tunnel, excuse the punn.
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:32
ok back online again and i have some results:
Last months i grew a few plants with a different harvest date, this ment that at the last 4 weeks ,i had 2 plants in 11 liter,
difficult in english , the situation was 2 plants filling all the space under the 400 watts hps, so i switched off the extra Leds, the result is LESS SOLID BUDS, a good yield nut the buds are not solid. Under the leds the buds get more solid, this is an interesting situation,
if you want to earn money, grow under hps if you want to win a cup use at least some extra leds.. what will happen in the future?
If the led price goes down there will be a moment that it is affordable to grow under leds, maybe the electricity use will rise growing under 1000 watts led instead of 400 watts hps, if you harvest a better weed ,then others have to follow, i find it a nice subject, leds, smoking thinking how future will be..
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 14:51
the problem with leds is they have a single frequency, so blue is only 450 not f.e. 400 -500. so it means you need lots of different leds frequencies to fill the gaps between 450 and 660. so thats why its better to have an hps extra to fill these gaps.
but in the situation today here, 30 celcius or more it is a good alternative for a few hot days. with a hps only it is muuuuch to hot now, it would kill the plants with this heat.. it was last days 33 celcius.
 as a only light source the led 450+660 is not enough, even with a few extra leds like orange, and other colours, you will still have gaps the plants need a full spectrum!

example picture, i have in the middle between 2 led ufos 1 tubelight led, 4500 K(?) bluewhite, for my eyes and to have more room -space for the plants, its an old picture of a burned plant its now flowering in my garden and will give 1-5 grams only..%3cisapprove%3ctern%20%3cmile
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 22:31
If i understand the debate correctly the sun is not digital. Its a bit like the old debate between vinyl and cd. The LED light is constant and fixed. I have been using blue cfl's for first 4 weeks to get leaf development before using dual specrum HPS for rest of life. This brings in a similar cost saving of about 20% over 600 hps from the beginning. The capital cost of an LED system is prohibitive for personal use model. It seems we will have to stockpile bulbs lol for some time.
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 14:49
Hi obsessive, you are right it is the same thing as the vinyl and cd!! thats how it is! in futere it will be better but for now you need many colors of leds lijk blue, red ,orange and the rest ( which are less important but still a little important, only green is not used by the plants for as far as i know)

I discovered something else:
my ufos were bought as 10 blue and 40 red ones, in reality it is 6 blue and 44 red!!
kill the supplier%3chumbs%20Up
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 11:19
btw there is another new light system named PLASMA light, the researchers and developers look at the wrong way, they try to imitate sunlight , that is not a real goal to work towards to, it is the wants of the plant what should be the goal..
the plasma gives from blue to red almost the same quantity of light but the plant needs blue and red most, then orange and a little of the others...
but that is an other discussion.. the same as the discussion about coffeeshops and growshops, THE CUSTOMER is the boss, not the boss!
If they would under stand that i would not be here but on the bahamas or with ben and ed in thailand...%3cnhappy
I stopped years ago in the bizniz, i didnt found the right people to make rich...
i had the best suppliers in the world, but again that is not the goal... its a tool.
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 11:53
Hey Martini,

Hope you are well :).

You moved to germany now? or still throwing curve balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>