watering and transplanting seedlings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheDeparted View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: watering and transplanting seedlings
    Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:03
hi guys im just going to put my seedlings into 2 ltr pots.
im using coco and would like to know how much should i water the coco when i do this?
do i pre water the pots then add seedlings or water after there in there new homes?
was going to water to i get 10% run off is this ok?
cheers
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:18
As ever, I'm not an expert with coco, but from my experience with it, it's rather spongy and, in some ways, retains water like rockwool.

With rockwool, one of the ways we'd get a suitable about of water in a cube was to saturate it, then give it a couple of gentle but vigorous shakes in the direction of the floor, which would relase well over half the water.
A 10cm cube could hold 250ml, whereas we liked them to have about 80ml when planting seedlings or newly-rooted clones. A couple of shakes was a good way to get them free of extra moisture.

I think if you soak the coco in the 2lt pots, then give each one a couple of downward shakes over the bath, they'll be left with a nicely moist environment that's not over-saturated.

I'd probably give the transplanted seedling a very light watering around their stem the next day, just in case the water in the pots has mostly migrated to the bottom of the coco fibre.

Maybe experienced coco-growers have a better method.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
InvertedVertigo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote InvertedVertigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:25
i dont have a better method for you but good luck with your grow mate. lots of new coco growers popping up recently.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Ganja

As ever, I'm not an expert with coco, but from my experience with it, it's rather spongy and, in some ways, retains water like rockwool.

With rockwool, one of the ways we'd get a suitable about of water in a cube was to saturate it, then give it a couple of gentle but vigorous shakes in the direction of the floor, which would relase well over half the water.
A 10cm cube could hold 250ml, whereas we liked them to have about 80ml when planting seedlings or newly-rooted clones. A couple of shakes was a good way to get them free of extra moisture.

I think if you soak the coco in the 2lt pots, then give each one a couple of downward shakes over the bath, they'll be left with a nicely moist environment that's not over-saturated.

I'd probably give the transplanted seedling a very light watering around their stem the next day, just in case the water in the pots has mostly migrated to the bottom of the coco fibre.

Maybe experienced coco-growers have a better method.

thanks ganja thing is i cant get to my room every day so want to do this incase my babies dry out.
they are only 4&5 days old so very fragile.
ill follow ur adivce g thank you
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:27
Originally posted by InvertedVertigo

i dont have a better method for you but good luck with your grow mate. lots of new coco growers popping up recently.

yeah thats good news for us iv.
the reason i decided to go coco was reading munzys thread and blackboots.
ive done lots of research but i dont want to second guess anything untill im 100% confident!
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:31

personally i think 2ltr pot is to big for seedling to go in especially a 5 day old seedling i think it will take quite a while to get going, anyways i always repot then water with a  slight run off then give nothing untill pot is light

ANDWHAT
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 16:41
Originally posted by jonnyshope

thanks ganja thing is i cant get to my room every day so want to do this incase my babies dry out.

Well, if drying is a potential problem, you might want to experiment a little bit. Don't take the above method as gospel.

I always err on the side of not over-watering, but that's based on being able to tend plants every day. It might be better to err on the side of moistness for tiny plants that aren't being checked every day.

It has to be said, new coco-fibre does not get waterlogged easily, so shaking out the majority of the water might not be necessary if leaving seedlings for a couple of days. Just letting the excess run out with gravity might be enough.

If you have time, you could test this by saturating a 2lt pot of fibre, giving it a few hard shakes, then leaving it for 2-3 days in a place with similar temps to the grow room. If by the second or third day the top 5cm or so is pretty dry, that's probably a sign that the fibre should be allowed to retain more water.

After about 2-3 weeks in the new pots, this shouldn't matter as much, since the seedlings' roots will be nearing the base of the pot, so they shouldn't dry out easily. In the first weeks, their roots may not be deep enough to reach the residual water.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 20:58
Originally posted by munzy

personally i think 2ltr pot is to big for seedling to go in especially a 5 day old seedling i think it will take quite a while to get going, anyways i always repot then water with a  slight run off then give nothing untill pot is light

yeah munzy i fisrt wanted to let them out grow the jiffy then do it but had no other option as i cant tend the garden every day.
when i got there today my first seedling had drooped over so   proped it up hopefully be ok?
the one which was showing root first has now came out although very twisted looking so i tied it losley to a straw.
the other four are looking great, so i now have all in not 2 ltr pot as i first thought they are 1.5ltr.
i gave each pot a good water untill i got run off and added the jiffy which i gave a litttle water as well as they were very dry.
ill have my friend have a look over the next few days so hope all be ok.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote TheDeparted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 21:08

Originally posted by jonnyshope

Well, if drying is a potential problem, you might want to experiment a little bit. Don't take the above method as gospel.

I always err on the side of not over-watering, but that's based on being able to tend plants every day. It might be better to err on the side of moistness for tiny plants that aren't being checked every day.

It has to be said, new coco-fibre does not get waterlogged easily, so shaking out the majority of the water might not be necessary if leaving seedlings for a couple of days. Just letting the excess run out with gravity might be enough.

If you have time, you could test this by saturating a 2lt pot of fibre, giving it a few hard shakes, then leaving it for 2-3 days in a place with similar temps to the grow room. If by the second or third day the top 5cm or so is pretty dry, that's probably a sign that the fibre should be allowed to retain more water.

After about 2-3 weeks in the new pots, this shouldn't matter as much, since the seedlings' roots will be nearing the base of the pot, so they shouldn't dry out easily. In the first weeks, their roots may not be deep enough to reach the residual water.

your right ganja i should have tested a pot with coco first as when i got my jiffy i tested 2 of them just how u mentioned above.
the babies are now in there new pots and i took ur advise and shook some water of after i got run off.
4 out of the 6 are great the other 2 i will see over the next few days how they get on.
cheers
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 02:45

That's how I water seedlings and young clones in coco. Water to runoff and the give them a couple of shakes to get rid of the excess moisture. Mind you, I am talking about seedling pots (300-500ml).
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
 Post Reply Post Reply