Newbie grower needs a sex lesson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
trickydicky View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote trickydicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie grower needs a sex lesson
    Posted: 06 August 2010 at 13:38
Hi all.... 9 - 10 weeks into an outdoor grow (now in 20ltr pots) and so far so good. I think I may have found 1 male and would appreciate the advice/opinion of any experienced dudes out there in Sensi Forumland. Photo below (if I can figure out how to do this bit....)

OMG!! Sorry about the image size, it looks like I should have reduced it just a tad %3co%20high 
Can anyone confirm that I'm looking at MJ with "boy-balls"??
Should outdoor grown MJ be showing its sex at 9 - 10 weeks - although there are no signs of flowering yet? 
Happy Gardening everyone and thanks
Joyeux jardinage a tous et merci.
TD

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 14:55
This is definitely a male.

Plants can show pre-flowers after about 10 weeks in a vegetative photoperiod, but this looks more like the plant has started flowering properly. Pre-flowers normally appear in pairs at the bracts/nodes. These male flowers are growing in a cluster, which suggests full-blown flowering.

Outdoor plants in the northern hemisphere usually begin flowering between August and September. Males typically show before females, so this male showing now is pretty much normal for an early-flowering strain.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
heampaoolic View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote heampaoolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 15:30
yes it is a boy. look at one that i grow on a field:
edit: seems we got the same strain.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote trickydicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 15:51
Hi Ganja, that's pretty emphatic I guess. Thanks for your quick reply...customer service or what!!  I shall quarantine / isolate that bad boy whilst I decide on his future 'cos I got plenty of space...was thinking 50+ metres away from the others, yeah??

What future options do I have for "him"?  Should I set "him" up in a new location with one of my "ladies" (Early Skunk at same age)...BTW he's a Red Hair Skunk, just to see what happens?? Or is that idea a reckless waste of good potential smoke? Or am I looking at some cannabutter or what?

Thanks heampaoolic......u guerilla growing?  Like the camoflage!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 16:31
If you don't want females pollinated, 50m is not far enough. If this male starts distributing pollen, it can easily be blown 50m by a relatively gentle breeze.

There won't nearly as many seeds as there would be if the male grew right next to the females, but there will still probably be dozens or hundreds.

If a fully flowered male is put right next to flowering females, it's possible to have thousands of seeds (and virtually no bud).

If interested in making seeds, the safest way is to move the male as far away as possible and let him continue to flower. It's likely that male staminate flowers will open and start releasing pollen in the next week or two, before the females have really started to grow receptive pistils.

In this brief window, it's possible to collect pollen. Try putting a ziplock sandwich bag around open flowers, tapping the enclosed flowers a few times to release pollen into the bag, then immediately zipping the bag closed. Sealed bags can then be stored in the freezer until later in the season.

Once a decent amount of pollen is collected (and a small amount can constitute thousands of grains), the male can be killed and turned into cannabutter.

The pollen will stay viable in the freezer. It might be a good idea to but the sealed bag(s) into a tupperware container to reduce the possibility of condensation (cannabis pollen becomes sterile on contact with water).

Later in the season, when females have plenty of white -pistilled flowers, the pollen can be carefully applied to some healthy-looking buds on the lower branches. Dab it on with a paintbrush for extra control.

This way, the grower can control exactly which parts of the plants receive pollen and have seeds without ruining the best buds on the top of the plant.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote trickydicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 17:20
Nice one Ganja...thanks. I've just moved "him" 75m downwind of the females. Since we get a predominately west wind in this part of France, he is now at least 75m east and my females all sit at the far side of a 2 storey building (as well) which should further increase their shelter and reduce any chance of catching any rogue pollen. I'll go with your suggestion of collecting pollen in a ziplock bag for later application to the lower branch buds on one of my girls. Thanks again for taking the time to explain.  Would the male plant give a decent smoke after I've taken pollen off him?? Or is cannabutter the only option?
jkwan View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 20:28
I know people have different feelings about this but i think 75m is nowhere near far enough.
Pollen can travel very far with relatively week wind or just the slightest breeze.

If you dont want to risk getting all of your females pollinated i would suggeset a completely different location or ideally complete seperation if possible.

Butter is not the only option but as far as smoking male plants goes..hard to say..depending on your tolerance and the potency of your plant. If the plan is to just get high id recommend cake or cookies, works better for most when coming from males.
You could also make a little hash out of them but since it is only one plant it probably isnt worth it.

happy growing%3ceed%20leaf

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote trickydicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 23:59
jkwan....hi, thanks for dropping by and giving your advice. My overall priority is of course to prevent wholesale pollination of my ladies and see them through to a successful harvest but I'd like to get some seeds for next year's outside grow (from some of my sativa girls). I've taken your advice and moved the pre-flowering male further away. His new home is now 130m downwind (east) of the girls. That's as far away as I can put him without having to guerilla grow on someone else's field, so I'm hoping that this will work out OK%3crmm
I'm thinking about starting a new thread on the question of safe distances to isolate male plants. 
Once I've taken some pollen off my bad-boy, I was thinking of trying to make cannabutter from him (is this what you meant by cookies or cakes, do you know any good recipies??). My girlfriend doesn't smoke but enjoys the occasional space-cookie. Not sure whether there will be enough THC in the fan leaves to give me a decent smoke, but we'll see.  Also I didn't think that you can actually get hash from male plants ??
Happy growing to everyone out there in Sensi forumland %3ceed%20leaf... 
Joyeux jardinage a tout le monde sur Sensi forumland %3colling%20one...
jkwan View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 15:58
hey td,

i am no pro but i have been growing outdoors for a while and i find it very hard to give good advice here. 2 years ago i have had 1 male pollinate all females and it was more then 100m away from them. There are quite a few factors to consider like strength and direction of wind, insects etc.
In your case i would probably just put the male as far as you can, get the pollen as early as possible and then just get rid of him entirely. As he is earlier then the females anyway ,you might just have no problems/pollination at all.
I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread about this and see what the pros have to say about outdoors distances, i havent found much on the subject so far.

You do not necessarily need to make butter in order to bake/cook something with cannabis. There is different ways to extract like milk or oil etc. Having said that cooking is probably the best way to concentrate the little cannabinoid found in leaves.
There is tons of recipes and literature accross the net and some even here in the forum:
http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=22

You can get hash from male plants but most people probalbly would not call it hash due to its untypical taste and strengh. But to be fair ,i have smoked better/more enjoyable  'hash' from male plants then some of the dirty mixtures one can get on the street.
Also the decency of a smoke from dried leaves obviously totally dependends on the potency of your male. Some people swear on & love it , some dont.

I am sorry if i am a bit vage at times but there are exceptions to every rule.
I have heared so many different infos/storys on potency, nutes, smells etc etc of this wonderful plant most of which probaly carry a grain of subjective truth.
In the end it comes to down to personal experience and preference.

Hope this helps a little ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply