Description When Purchasing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Originalien View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Originalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Description When Purchasing
    Posted: 21 April 2010 at 10:58
Hi there. I am in the process of sorting out what strains i want and what my focus will be whilst growing.

My question is, In each description for each strain you give certain details at the bottom, Such details as - Flowering , Height & Yield.  (IE SUPER SKUNK , Flowering 45 - 50 Days)

In regards to the flowering statistic, does the number given mean that -
A) The required time in full light vegetative state that the strain must undergo before it may begin to be made to flower
Or
B) The amount of time needed to be spent in flowering state before harvest is able to begin.

I presume its B but i just wanted to be sure.

Thank you

sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 15:19
Yes it is B. The flowering time is the amount of time it takes to complete flowering.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 15:46
Also, if you want a plant to reach the height and yield specified in the grow-data you should subtract its flowering time from the figure of 90 days, and give it that many days in veg.

Super Skunk should be given 40 days/6 weeks veg before its 50 day flowering cycle in order to reach a final height of 120-150cm.

NL#5xHaze, at 75 days flowering, needs only 2-3 weeks of veg to reach a final height of 150-180cm

This is, of course, just a rough guide, but it's a decent indication of how much more veg time an Indica can require.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Originalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 16:43
Excellent Thank you.
The 2 strains i was looking at in the hybrid/indica range are -
http://sensiseeds.com/blackdomina/1p2311.html
http://sensiseeds.com/superskunk/1p241.html
The 2 strains of hybrid/sativa -
http://sensiseeds.com/jackherer/1p2310.html
http://sensiseeds.com/edrosenthalsuperbud/1p2321.html

I am either going to do both sativas or both indica's in the same room. Not going to mix and match. This is my 1st experience with a complete Hydro Setup, i have done outdoor and indoor soil medium before.

Most likely as this is my 1st Pure Water Op i will go with the indica's as i know they will be good to me whilst i get through the learning curve. I have chosen those 2 pairs of breeds based on similar yield and almost identical flowering times, which i believe will allow them to both be in the same room on the same water feed on the same light times.

A rough idea of my intended setup would be circulating drip feed timer fed, rockwool medium, dual reservoirs for each plant, 1 for the medium & 1 for the roots, all interconnected and pipe fed to a main reservoir, then the cycle repeats to drip feed... Looking into tray style setup but they dont seem to be as easy to get your 2nd reservoir for each plants roots. Not going with Airponics on the root reservoir but will have heaters and air pumps in each plants root reservoirs. Probably have a heater in the main interchange reservoir as well just to be safe.

2 - 3 lights in the 1 room of dimensions Approx 7 x 5m. C02 timer feed at opposite times to Routine Exaust Timer. Air Purifer/Ionizer. PH 6.4 @  25 Celcius in the water.

I am currently investigating lighting, looking into the new LED grow lights that i have heard about....

Have any of you experienced LED grow lights yet and if so have you been satisfied with their output in terms of yield and growth speed. Apparently its safe to have them on 24 hours a day during veg!?!  They are meant to contain a stronger red and blue spectrum than either HPS or MH and can be used during the entire cycle.

One thing i can see being a problem is that they produce much less heat and initially i intended the lights themselves to be the heat source as i live in an already hot country. Im not sure if it will be hot enough on LED's during winter, although i can see the heat from my C02 producer being enough to possible maintain the balance...... I have seen c02 controllers which handle everything now incl humidy, heat and c02 so i suppose heat is really a mute argument.

My current research seems to point me to LED, but if i cant take the leap to LED grow lights i was going to use 1000w switchables. MH during Veg & HPS during Flower obviously.

I have NO CLUE about what additives or fertilizers i am going to use but i presume my local hydro shop can tell me what i need. I was going to use Fish Emulsions as my extra nitrogen when needed.

I would LOVE to hear what Fertilizers you use, what you think about my intended setup designs, and any suggestions or improvements u may have as i want to learn as much scientific and self taught hydroponic knowledge as possible.

P.S - I would love to hear exactly how long you suggest vegatative times on those 4 strains %3c3coving%3c20it
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 18:53
I've never seen results from LED lights that rated better than 'satisfactory'. Plants can grow and flower under them, but I think LEDs are a long way from the point where they can compete with HID.

Also, LED panels that would produce anything like the output from a 1000w MH or HPS would cost insane amounts of money, last time I checked. Prices may have decreased a lot since then, but they'd have to go down by 70-90% to be in the range of HID in terms of lumens per dollar spent.

Even aside from the cost of the lights, I'm still doubtful that LEDs produce more useable light per watt than HID, no matter what their sellers say.

As to vegetative times, it's impossible to give an exact figure, even when considering individual strains. It all depends how big you want the final plants to be, growing conditions and whether you're growing from clone or seed.

The rough guide above is about as exact as it gets. OTOH, working with clones of the same plant for a harvest or two will give individual growers a much better idea of how long to veg to get plants to a given final height.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Originalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 11:36
Thanks so much, glad to hear some word of mouth about LED......

My final Question -
Is it safe to say that presumablely Sativa Dominant strains require closer to a 4 month cycle to subtract their flower time from?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:36
Nope. Three months is a good estimate of total cultivation for all strains, as above.

Maybe pure Sativa (of which there are very few available as commercial seed strains) should be estimated at 4-5 months total time, but a pure Sativa could be cultivated without any growing time at all, since it is native to a region where the day is close to12hrs all year round.
 Post Reply Post Reply