outdoor Flipping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WHISTLERBC View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WHISTLERBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outdoor Flipping
    Posted: 23 March 2010 at 01:31
can anybody explain to me a correct way to flip the plants outdoors to make them flower faster. ie putting tarps over them to set the light cycle to 12 12 before it naturally occurs outdoor. I have heard that you cant let any plastic touch the plants or it will induce bud rot, but other people have told me that you can just do it with a heavy duty garbage bag and it works fine. also, what date does the plant naturally start flowering, is there a way that you could just induce flowering with 36 hours of darkness a week before it woudl natrually start and then let it go on its own?
any thoughts?
Germinator View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Germinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 14:06

i go flame this thread a little, k guys?

i think `pre-flowering´ would be a way to get an earlier flower-phase, later on!

u garantie urself 100% female plants that go to (the real) flowering-phase a little earlier. pre-flowering means, to give them 12-12 the first 2 weeks -  then the normal 18-6. its enough to let them show a few buds, so u can cut the male-one´s! they go back to grow-phase then themselfes. under good conditions it takes 6-10 weeks indoors before they are in shape to grow outdoors.

takeing them into 36hours darkness within early summer could bring them to start flowering ealier, too - but i never tryed. 

regards

g.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 15:14
That's not pre-flowering, by my definition.

Pre-flowers appear naturally on a plant that's been in vegetative growth for about 3 months.

Flipping plants to 12/12, then back to 18/6 is not particularly good for them and they can take a long time to start growing normally again.

The idea that plants can be induced to flower (and stay in flowering mode) by giving them complete darkness for 36 (or 48, or 72) hours is not really reliable. It might work on some plants, but there's no guarantee.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
WHISTLERBC View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote WHISTLERBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 17:17
ok. so assuming that you gave them 12 12 with tarps or garbage bags or what have you, while they are planted outside in the ground, is there a certain date after which the plant is into flowering mode anyways? my idea is that i can give them 12 12 for like a week or 10 days before the date tehy would start flowering anyways, that way at the end of the season that amount of time would be shaved off letting them finish a little bit earlier. i know it sounds like a lot of work for nothing but those last 10 days or so can make all the difference where i am.
thanks
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 18:00
That might be possible. It at least has the advantage of only having to keep covering the plants for 2-3 weeks and not having to cover them when they're in full bloom.

Causing fungus by covering is not as risky as simply having plastic touch the foliage, but it it more likely on heavily flowering plants, as they contain more water, which can condense inside the bag, especially at the end of summer when temps drop more rapidly after sunset.

To have the best chance of accelerating flowering in the way you describe, you'll need:

1) an almanac or another reliable reference for the hours of daylight in your location. You should be able to find something quite easily online.

2) an 'Early' outdoor variety. These are named because they can begin flowering early (ie in photoperiods longer than the standard 12hrs), which leads to earlier harvest. Strains like Early Girl, Early Skunk and Early Pearl can begin flowering in photperiods of 13hrs maybe more. Some of this depends on the individual plant and on other indicators of season, but the on average Early strains will be kicked into flowering sooner than regular strains.

Check when your area can expect around 13-14 hrs of daylight. Remember that the time of sunset is not when it gets completely dark, but when the sun goes below the horizon. Depending on latitude, twilight can go on for some time after sunset.

The further north a location, the more minutes of daylight it loses each day between summer solstice and autumn equinox. Try to calculate roughly how many minutes per day are lost in your location.

At a guess, the days will be approaching 14hrs in August. Two to three weeks before this date, you could start to cover some plants after they've received 12hrs light per day (remember that the time of sunrise also changes). Keep this up for at least 15 days (20-25 might be better). By the time the day is 14hrs long, the plants should be flowering, and there's a decent chance that the sudden increase of two hours per day won't affect them. This isn't guaranteed, however, a lot depends on the individual plant. An Indica or Indica-dom strain is probably better, as these are a little less prone to revert from flowering to growing.

You could try giving one or two plants the same treatment just before the days drop to 15hrs. These would have a greater chance of reverting once the covering stopped, but if they didn't revert the harvest should be further accelerated.

One problem is that plants growing outside may be more sensitive to gradual changes in photoperiod, as they will have experienced slight changes every day since they were put outside.  Plants grown indoors with 18hrs, flowered for 2 weeks, then put outside in a 14hr photoperiod might be less likely to revert, as the exposure to 14hrs would still be much less than the constant 18hrs they'd grown in.

Lastly, the covering method can come into play much earlier - as soon as plants have some decent lower branches. If you cover one branch every day after 12hrs, that branch will flower while the rest of the plant remains unaffected. This way, you can eliminate males early and not waste any time trying the above method on plants that turn out to be male.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Germinator View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Germinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 00:46

ok mine did not grow very large - but that way they were supposed to grow, as they never grew outdoors...

althoug i cant remember if any others of mine have been treated that way as well as i never compared pre and not pre-flowered plants anyhow ......

what i can say is, that someone with a lot experience - i give him that credit, once told me that this way of pre-flowering would cause the plants to go into normal flowering a little earlier. but as i never tryed i cant argue about that! 

cu in about hal a year!

regards

g.

p.s. edit: i decided not to pre-flower my outdoors because summer arrives soon. 

Post Reply Post Reply