F1 Hybred ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newtamus View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote newtamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F1 Hybred ?
    Posted: 04 February 2010 at 22:28
I had purchased a 10 pk. of seeds (Hindu Kush).  Out of those 10 seeds 6 spouted.  Out of those 6 plants Three were female.  Each of these three female has very different physical appearance and effect differences when smoked.  From their physical appearance One was clearly Indica dominate, another appeared to be Sativa dominate complete with pink pistils, and still another appeared to be a pretty equal cross between Indica and Sativa.  The effects from smoking each had equally differing characteristics also, with the Indica dominate being the strongest.

My question is whether these differences from the same pack of what I thought were F1 stabilized seeds is what One would expect?

Not that I think it should matter, but all plants were grown outdoors under the same organic gardening conditions, except what turned out to be the Indica dominate plant was grown in a 5 Gal bucket and the other Two were grown in the ground.  All were in the same soil, with the bucket being filled with the soil from the garden where the other Two grew.

Thanks!

Newt

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 12:17
Nope, Hindu Kush is not a hybrid, f1 or otherwise. It's an original, unhybridised strain - a cultivar which has not been crossed with anything else.

Some variation is always possible, even in homogeneous or true-breeding seeds.

However, your results - particularly your report of Sativa-looking plants (presumably judged by height and formation, rather than pink pistils, which are not a sign of Sativa genes) - do not sound like any pack of Sensi Seeds Hindu Kush that I've seen or heard of.

Where did you get these seeds? Were they from a Sensi shop in Amsterdam?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
newtamus View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote newtamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 18:06
Your right, "hybrid" wasn't the correct term to be using when describing the Hindu Kush.

The pink pistil thing I mentioned only because it really added to the wide variation in appearance the Three plants had.

Yes, the seeds were bought in Dam, at the shop next to the Hemp museum.  I've got the receipt!

I have pictures of the Three I can post if you would like.  I'm assuming I can insert them into these post with some html that is.

Newt
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 19:04
First, resize your pictures to about 150KB each

Click 'reply', on the corner of a post, which opens the full reply editor.

Click , which is the 'insert picture' button.

Follow the instructions to upload a picture to a thread.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
newtamus View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote newtamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 21:48
Thanks for the picture inserting tutorial, saved me a gob of time figuring out how to do it on my own.

I labeled the plants A, B, & C.  "A" was what looked to be the equally Indica/Sativa, "B" looked to be mostly Sativa, and  "C" looked to be mostly Indica.

Newt

Well crap, I went to up load the pictures and click on the insert link which took me to a error page that said "Only members with sufficient permission can access this page."

sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 21:54
Sometimes that happens simply because the page has been open too long, so please do try again.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
newtamus View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote newtamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 02:06
OK, well then lets try this again

Plant "A" in front "B" in the rear.

Plant "B"

Plant "C"

Plant "A" close to harvest

Plant "B" Close to harvest time

Plant "C" at harvest time

Close-up of plant "B's" pink pistils

Newt

M91286 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote M91286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 19:19
hybrid would be a new vaariety (strain) for example when you breed two different strains together example Jack herer x Kush to create a all new strain (cultivaar) would be a hybrid.

F1, F2, F3, ....  is just a language (term) to illustrate the generation {used when inbreeding a population more than once.} for example  inbreeding kush x kush would equal an F1 kush (kush x kush) inbreeding it once again would be an F2 kush (kush x kush x kush) but once the kush is outbred with lets say Northern lights it becomes an hybrid "a strain that is different"= HYBRID , "strain that is the same and reproduced"  results in a F1 of the same hybrid 
M91286 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote M91286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 19:22
Kush x northern lights would be a hybrid
"Northern kush" Hybrid
Kush x Kush = F1 kush
newtamus View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote newtamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 03:59
The Kush x Kush = F1 kush is what I thought I was getting.  But more importantly, I thought what I purchased was stabilized.  From what I ended up with, this seems it was far from the case.

I was hoping to end up with some decent Kush breeding stock.  As it turned out, I don't know what I have.  My original plan was to pick the best Male and Female to use for breeding.  Since I only ended up with One Male & Female that appear to be of the Indica Strain dominate, there is no room for being selective.  Plus, given the wide variation in the plants I ended up with from a single pk. of seeds, I can see little reason to be certain that the Two plants that look to be Indica dominate are in fact pure Hindu Kush.

Newt

sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 04:39
kush x kush = kush

It is only when plants of different strains are crossed that a hybrid results.

I haven't grown Hindu Kush myself, but to my eye there doesn't seem to be a dramatic difference between the three plants.

Maybe Ganja will have more to contribute when he's around. Personally I think differences you perceived are most likely just normal variation between seed plants of the same strain and possibly influenced by different growing conditions.

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 21:24
i agree with sara,
there doesnt look to be a great deal of difference between the 3 of them, none of them look to be sativa in any way either.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 21:33
i grew HK and there was a slight difference in plant structure 6 females, but bud structure and formation, smell, taste and smoke identical and rather nice
ANDWHAT
 Post Reply Post Reply