honey instead of molasses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ASDER View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: honey instead of molasses?
    Posted: 01 February 2010 at 01:26
hi all

said id throw this one out there to see if there is any opinions on it - has anyone ever used honey as opposed to using molasses during the final phase as a sugar booster?.was thinking that honey contains sugars and may help sweeten the buds(this idea came to me recently while i had a sore throat and was taking honey in hot water to help ease it)if its not a good idea id like to know as its an idea im toying with as an experiment on my next grow.

Asder%3ceed%20leaf%3ceed%20leaf%3ceed%20leaf
Live and Learn!
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 02:23
i may follow and give it a shot i have some mazar ready to flower, i wonder what the outcome will be
smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 02:26
Honey doesn't stay dissolved in water, it settles out solution, this might present a problem if you were using honey regularly. Mollases stays dissolved and has a swag of trace elements. If you don't want the trace elements I would suggest using one of the less refined sugar based on the shelves, eg brown sugars, which still contain some mollases, between 3.5% for light brown or raw sugar and 6.5% for a dark brown sugar (like muscovardo) but have low mineral content.  

Unlike honey, these will stay in solution once dissolved.

Honey is great for dipping clones when you run out of rooting hormone, especially mixed with a little dissolved yeast extract like vegemite %3chumbs%20Up

sara %3ceed%20leaf
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 12:17
Honey for cloning? Interesting!

Do you think it actually helps the rooting, like hormone gel/powder, or are you more interested in honey's antiseptic properties?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 12:50
I used it under the belief that it assisted rooting, based on local garden lore rather than science though. On the farm I played around with a lot of "natural" products, it was easy to maintain the organic certification for the market garden by not having non specified inputs around the house garden.

I have some foliage in the fridge, I might go pull them out and do one in honey and the other in standard 4% indole butric acid and see if we have a difference.
carlobee View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote carlobee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 10:23
Pretty interesting. I might as well try that one too.

Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 14:10
Make sure you use unprocessed honey. How you tell or what the difference is, i got no idea, but thats what i read :)

Edit: actually now i think about it, i beleive "clear" honey is processed
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 15:06
A couple of weeks ago, Sarah offered the useful information that normal store-bought milk can be used as an anti-fungal for plants.

The received wisdom on this subject (which I had found myself repeating more than once) was that only unpasteurised/non-homogenised milk is useful in fighting fungus. Not true, as it turns out.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that if honey is useful for promoting rooting, all types of honey will be fine. In fact, clear honey might be easier to use, because it's more fluid than creamed or crystallised honey.

Having been raised somewhat 'alternatively', I tend to have a sceptical view of most claims that modern processes magically make things less desirable, healthy or 'good' than their rustic counterparts. It's generally just a knee jerk reaction that assumes things were better in the past. I don't think they were.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there's a difference between well-grown hydro weed and well-grown 'organic' weed, either. I know dozens of people who swear by organic cannabis and insist that they can tell the difference (many of whom have smoked hydro thinking it was organic). I think it's a lot like the somewhat faith-based love of (bought) organic foods. Adherents insist they can tell the difference, scientific tests usually show that they can't.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 18:38
Hi,

sometimes organics are better, as with syrup of sugar beets: The minerally fertilized stuff tastes nastily bitter while the elitistically organic stuff tastes nice -- and costs thrice as much. Sometimes the place of origin makes the difference: I bought Russian mustard power, and the mustard made from it is much hotter than usual "hot" mustard but like strong fresh horseradish. The Klitshko effect.

Greetings,
Uli
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 18:56
When i was a kid i found a wallet. My mum forced me to take it to the owner with its contents intact %3cmbarrass%3cd Turns out this guy is a bee keeper and he gave us some honey as a thankyou. Basicly he just got a big jar stuffed a great lump of comb into it. Was unlike anything you will get in a shop. I dont know what exactly they do to honey to process it but i imagine at least it filtered to remove wax, who knows what else is taken out.

"I tend to have a sceptical view of most claims that modern processes magically make things less desirable"

So long as you dont ask too many questions, im sure modern food is fine (within reason) however if you do set out to learn what happens to your food before it gets to the shop shelf, i guarentee there are a few items you simply wont eat again. I wont bother to list them here tho %3cink
breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 20:44
so guys a cup of tea? honeys from the world and cannabis too!
our knowledge is big but our unknowledge is bigger! so lets try and learn... sugar peace for alls
mesrin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mesrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 20:51
Originally posted by Proteus

I dont know what exactly they do to honey to process it but i imagine at least it filtered to remove wax, who knows what else is taken out.

Me and my father used to make our own honey. Bees can make honey out of everything. Depending on what they eat they will make honey that is bitter, sweater, darker, heavier/lighter taste etc. Of course, when its for your own honey u can spend much much time (like we did) to find the right place with the right flowers and trees to have the honey u want. When its for you, you care about quality. But if u do it as a business, you care about production. Bees can even make honey out of sugar water (which sucks, but if its not for u and u have a business, who cares....).
Extracting honey from the wax is a simple and non harmfull for your health procedure, i dont know how it is called. Think it like you put the whole wax with the honey in barrel that its base spins (like a vynil record). Spin it really high and the honey will be forced to leave the wax...
When everybody was running, i was planting my seeds...
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 04:17
There is a kernal of truth in 'honey from the shop doesn't work'. Some of the cheap stuff labelled 'honey' is a blend of a low grade, darker coloured honey and glucose syrup. Check the label, if it says glucose and honey, forget it it's only got enough honey in it to improve the colour and impart a little flavour.

Commercial production is geared towards producing pale coloured honey, the paler the colour the higher the price because it's more versatile and can be mixed with a liberal amount of darker honeys and still stay within the preferred colour range.

Odd thing about honey, the commercial industry is driven by consumer preference for light coloured and flavoured honey. Yet, in the local hf store dark coloured honeys reign supreme as 'unrefined', lol the cheapest honey on the wholesale market sells for the highest possible retail price to the gullible.

Mesrin, we used to feed our bees sugar at the end of the season, after removing what honey we wanted to the year, to maintain hive strength. It was a good spot for eucalypt honey production and we used to rent ground space to a commercial apiarist who oversaw our novice attempts with hives and helped with harvesting.

The harvesting device is called a centrifuge, commonly here it's referred to as a 'swinger' ie it swings the honey out of the comb. %3chumbs%20Up

Originally posted by Proteus

Basicly he just got a big jar stuffed a great lump of comb into it. Was unlike anything you will get in a shop. I dont know what exactly they do to honey to process it but i imagine at least it filtered to remove wax, who knows what else is taken out.

Consider yourself very lucky, honey is usually drained from the comb and the combs given back to the bees to reclaim the remaining honey and then either renovated to put back in the hive or saved for later sale. Pure beeswax is as valuable as good honey.

Some apiarists will prepare a small amount of honey as you described, from an economic perspective it's both wasteful and time consuming, but it makes very nice thank you gifts and is a hot seller at 'county produce' markets.

I suppose I had better get on with the clones, one in indole butric, one in honey (from the supermarket) and one with nothing but tap water as a control.

Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:42

As a kid i used to dip into that just and just eat the wax. I thougth it was great.

At least some shop honey is pasturised, i dunno if that makes any difference or not
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:56
Yeah I like eating it in the comb, end up with a wax coating on the teeth though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>