getting my setup right.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
supadans View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote supadans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting my setup right.
    Posted: 23 November 2009 at 16:35
Hi Guys, ive been planning a grow for a while now and have just been working out a strategy which works best for my budget and limited grow space.
going through the forum files in this site has been really useful and you guys seem friendly and keen to help. so i was wondering if you can give me your thoughts on my proposed setup.
im going for a good old wardrobe grow, its pretty small - approx 2.5 feet wide by 1.5 deep and bout 5.5 high. for most of the equipment i was gonna go for the 3 plant package from Growell, which includes a 250watt hps light, biobizz soil, pots etc. dont think it contains all the nutes so will have to order them as well (bio bizz, grow bloom and topmax).
as for ventilation, im not to enthusiastic on having an extractor fan on constantly, as the wardrobe is in my bedroom, so instead i was thinking of cutting a hole in the back with some ducting leading through to the window, this would act as fresh air intake into the cabinet. also have a fan on most of the day to strengthen stems as well, and waft open the cab doors a couple times a day, during light hours, to give it some more fresh air.

my questions to you guys are:
how many plants for that space, was thinking 2 but wud prefer 3 if itll fit. wanting to get indica seeds- also any suggestions for strains.... too many to chose from i cant get my head around picking!
Will the 250w hps be suitable, considering the ventilation and space? or would getting 2 x 250w flourescent bulbs (1 blue bulb, 1 red) be a better idea.
and will that ventilation be adequate?

This is my first grow so im looking forward to it but wanna get it right, and grow me some tasty bud%3cig%3c ..... so any other advice is most welcome, thanks for ur time.

D.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 14:33
Sorry to miss this when it was posted.

I guess you've decided on which light to use, from your other thread. A single 250w HPS is a fine light for a small growing area. You've probably seen Farmer Mick's thread on setting up a small closet grow-space; he was able to get some fantastic results.

If you haven't yet bought the lights, a pair of 200W+ fluorescent lamps would also be a good choice - probably more useable lumens and less heat generated than the HPS. On the other hand, a pair of large fluoros would also use quite a bit more electricity; two 250s would use twice the power but would probably not give out twice the light.

An extractor fan is always a good idea, if you can afford it. It doesn't have to run constantly to benefit plants. Most modern extractor fans are high capacity from fairly small, reasonably quiet units. A small grower's fan should be able to extract the closet's full volume of air in about 5-10 minutes. Having it on for 15min, 5-10 times per day (and maybe only once in the dark part of the cycle) would maintain a good level of CO2 and help keep temperature down (as well as reducing the chance of fungus, etc).

Three plants in a floor-space of 75 x 45cm might be pushing it, but they could fit. Depending on the formation of the plants, you'll probably receive about the same yield from one, two or three plants. A single plant, given a decent veg period (and encouraged to bush out a bit), could easily fill the available space. Three slender, reasonably tall plants might fill the space better, in that their lower buds might receive more light than those on a single large plant forming a canopy.

As to varieties, Skunk #1 and Super Skunk would both be good choices. The feminised version of either might be the best choice, as you probably don't want to risk wasting time on males if you're only growing a couple of plants at a time.

Other good choices:
Hindu Kush
Shiva Shanti (1)
Maple Leaf Indica
Big Bud
Northern Lights
Sensi Skunk
American Dream
Shiva Skunk (regular or feminised)
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
supadans View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote supadans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 15:47
Thanks for the reply Ganja,
aye, all ready got all the equipment and lights - got the 250w hps with a dual spec bulb, thought that would be better for both stages.
Did think about an extractor but am really on a tight budget- it seems my ducting leading out the window is providing enough cold air to cool the wardrobe, also the fan on.

as for the seeds, they germinayed fine and just waiting for them to pop thier stems out. got some northern soul seeds which were recomended to me by a friend.
ill try to get some pics of the setup and seedlings up soon for you.

thanks again

mesrin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mesrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by Ganja

A single plant, given a decent veg period (and encouraged to bush out a bit)

How do u encourage a plant to be more bushy?
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 21:12
i would defo use L.S.T low,stress,training, tie the top of the plant so its 90degrees to the main stem leave for at least a week  then untie easy! topping is another good way, simply pinch out or cut the tips of your plant, and instead of single colas you will have multi colas, although some strains perforn better than others%3cig%3c i would start to do this once the plant has reached its 5th set of leaves
ANDWHAT
supadans View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote supadans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 19:57
so would having the multi colas be advantageous or would you just get the same amount of bud, as in a single cola, but spread out more?
D

Rollo Tomasi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Rollo Tomasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 20:10
^ It depends on the strain. Some strains naturally grow just one big cola with minimal side branching if at all. In strains like these, you would diminish yeild.

I top all of my plants and have great results (huge increase in yield) however, these plants are a bit branchy to begin with. I use a bending method like munzy described, though I bend the main branch(s) a bit more than 90 degrees with wire ties and only for a few days. I would imagine that it depends on your growing conditions (how fast your plants grow)

You can create a massive bush by continuing the bending process on the tallest shoots until you\'re satisfied.
 Post Reply Post Reply