24 hours light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
napalm View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote napalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 hours light
    Posted: 17 October 2009 at 02:14
will leaving my light on for 24 hours have a positive or negative result on my plants. they are 1 week old
buffalohunter View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 02:20
While the plants are still in vegative stage they can receive upto 24hr light, with a minimum of 18hrs. The older they get the less they should have in vegative like 20hrs but thats if your veggin for a long time.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 02:22
check out mine, i leave them on for 20hrs but they are only 2weeks. Still a noob myself but i researched a little an that was what i found with the light hours

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6099&PN=3
PhergusFarma View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 01:46
there is info in here that says there is no difference between 18/6 and 24/0. except that you are using 25% extra energy. no difference in growth. i am keeping my cloner light on 24 for warmth. once they root well, down to 18/6.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 05:20
kool kool, guess theres conflicting theories its not my ideas but i did find several other sources saying plants can receive light for 24hrs in vegative and grow around 15-30% more
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 15:04
phergus i keep my cloner on 18/6 as advised by BARTMANUK /SOLIDOPC works brilliantly i never use 24/0
ANDWHAT
PhergusFarma View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 02:10
i completely agree with the 18/6 method. i keep my house open at night and it cools down to about 65 F right now (small heat wave 91 F day 65 night soon to change to cooler) so i keep my cloner/seedling light on 24/0 for warmth. its only 94 watts, CFL. my feeling is that once there is solid evidence of rooting, the warmth wont be so necessary and i can drop it out to 18/6 (shucks am i hijacking someones post? sorry)
anyway i agree completely that 18/6 is the way to go for vegetation stage. grow on, bros and sisters.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:07
Sarah Lou made the very good point that while plants gather energy for growth during the light hours, they may actually do more growing in the dark cycle (look up the method for force-growing rhubarb for more on this).

I remember one grow-book author claiming that 24hr lighting was simply better because it gave an extra 25% time for plants to grow over an 18/6 cycle. Many tests have confirmed there is no (or negligible) extra growth with 24hr lighting, and this tendency to grow in the dark hours is a good explanation as to why.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 14:06
Fair play. It seems that there isnt an exact confirmation on the results, a bit like God lol and if you do get even 2% difference from that extra light im doing it. I want a scientific explantion bang on 100% correct but this site babbles a bit and theres conflicting theories, ive read numerous books & articles & growers have told me lighting times so i think i'll stick in the middle with 20/4. In my mind photosynthesis takes place from several things and it doesnt involve the dark lol. Also sorry ganja isnt rhubarb a totally different plant? and the growing slightly different?
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Ganja

Sarah Lou made the very good point that while plants gather energy for growth during the light hours, they may actually do more growing in the dark cycle (look up the method for force-growing rhubarb for more on this).

The discussion can be found by clicking here.

The anecdotal evidence I've collected over the last couple of years (playing with lighting) suggests 24/0 definitely costs more, but doesn't noticeably improve plant growth. %3c3chumbs%3c20Up
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 15:42
Originally posted by buffalohunter

In my mind photosynthesis takes place from several things and it doesnt involve the dark lol.

Photosynthesis isn't the same process as growing. It creates the food a plant requires to grow.

"Photosynthesis occurs in two stages. In the first stage, light-dependent reactions or light reactions capture the energy of light and use it to make the energy-storage molecules ATP and NADPH. During the second stage, the and light-independent reactions use these products to capture and reduce carbon dioxide."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis

Also sorry ganja isnt rhubarb a totally different plant? and the growing slightly different?

Totally different plant? Yes
Slightly different methods of growing? Yes
The process of photosynthesis being significantly different between green plants? No.

I want a scientific explantion bang on 100% correct

Then you need to read up on the science and have a working understanding of it. Then it's easier to tell informed opinions from uninformed ones.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 16:20
yo dont get offended im not insulting anyone, my point being if there is a SLIGHT difference, just a slight like i said 2% the smallest amount shit i'll take it man. I do have an understanding of photosynthesis i know how a plant gets its food, so if its getting more food will it not have a better chance of growth? The thing is i know about some plants but not all plants are the same. Anyway F this im gonna get high i was only tryin 2 help this fella you can do it fine. 
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 17:18
I'm not getting offended, I'm really saying that it's important to have a good grasp of the subject at hand. Then you can have a good idea if advice is true or false. Your statements on the subject of photosynthesis suggest that you should read up on it.

BTW - you were being somewhat insulting, but I have thicker skin than that. My statement is not a reaction to your tone, nor is it meant snidely - study the subject!

Study takes longer than posting questions and receiving answers but it leads to a better understanding, in most cases.

Getting back to the original question , +25% power consumption for +2% growth would not make sense to most cannabis growers. You should stick with 20 or 24hrs, if you like, but we'd advise the OP to stick with the standard 18/6 cycle for vegetative growth.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote buffalohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 20:25
look yea i was discussing things ok i wasnt insulting people and if thats the impression you got then you misunderstood me, and how was i being personal??? i said other peoples opinions on this topic were different. But now your getting personal 'study the subject' and 'read up on it' trying to speak to me like a idiot c'mon man, and wtf the 2% was an example, from other peoples opinions it could be upto 15-30% difference
MotorcycleMick View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MotorcycleMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 21:06
if your growing inside i always thought the idea was to make the enviroment the plants are growing as close to the one they were take from which generally has periods of no light. also i may be wrong but plants absorb the light in the day to create the glucose they need and use it up in the hours of dark when there is no light, effectively growing more maybe, obviously they will grow while the light is on. maybe more maybe not why dont you try it !? and tell us :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>