White Widow Aero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PhergusFarma View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Widow Aero
    Posted: 11 October 2009 at 00:44
hi im new but accomplished two harvests in 5 gallon bucket hydro method. bought a rainforest to try aeroponics. using Gen Hydro micro, bloom, gro, and blend Flora Series for nutes.
i lost my last clones so i started 8 WW seeds and 8 popped up. the best 6 went to the rainforest, two beaters went into buckets, JIC.
i will be going to a 1000w (maybe 2) for flower (sexing first, of course) on monday. hopefully ill be able to take numbered clones or if they show sex early, then those, after about 5 or 6 days.
i have read to only use about 70% nutes for this strain? anyone know about that? so far i have adhered to that and they look fine but i wonder if im sacrificing more growth?
also i use 35% veg grade h2o2 to kill any unwanted bacteria and i think it oxygenates the roots also.
here are some pics the plants are 6 inches or so starting to bush out in the aero, not so much in the buckets.
i have been told aero is not for the beginner, but what the heck, the bucket system is too labor intensive and so far ive used a lot less water with the aero.
im figuring on a Christmas Harvest. whoops looks like my photos are too big and the wrong file type. i will work on converting them.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 05:35
i think these photos will post. one is of the GH rainforest with six unsexed white widow, the other is two five gallon buckets of the same. i used these white cubes to put the germinated seeds in.( paper towel in ziplock bag method on top of water heater 100% germ) they work way better than the little rockwool ones. used clonex and sugar daddy to start seedlings, changing water every day due to rising ph.
i put the little white cubes right into the net pots of the GH rainforest, and surrounded them with the little clay pebbles after soaking and rinsing them. good support and they are better than rockwool also IMO.
the buckets i did use big rockwool cubes (after soaking to proper ph) but i also (and this is the first time) added the clay pebbles in those big net pots. aquarium bubblers (you can see the hoses going into buckets and the rainforest) are essential to keep the nute mix oxygenated, and they burn less than 10 watts apiece.
aquarium store, inexpensive. even in soil if you clean and store water these bubblers will make a difference in your nute mix and uptake by the girls.
just my experience. ok i hope the photos work out. two of them i could not reduce. shucks, they are still too big. let me go try my phone cam.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 05:39
lol you can see the drain/check tube leaking as i take the pic. this is why 7-10mm plastic should be triple layered and tacked up the wall, just like it is here in my spare bathroom.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 22:54
this is a picture of why you keep the 1000W Hortilux at least 2 feet (.75 meter) away especially right after taking them off Fluorescent 34 watters and another high output low watt fixture.
they wilted on me a little, the ones in the buckets were far enough away. right now just one 1000w on tomorrow i may light up the other one for the buckets, so they dont stretch too much. just changed the juice in the GH to a transition blend of about 1100 ppm. they say 1300, but im going low cause you can always add nutes as you go. other than the wilting, from which they are rapidly recovering, everything good.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 23:03
by the way i stopped using flora blend in the rainforest because it is organic and i guess the h2o2 actually kills off some of the beneficial micro organism stuff that it brings. ill just use it in the buckets. i used about 160ml apiece of Flora micro, gro, and bloom plus 2ml per gallon h2o2 35%, and that got me to 1100 ppm for 13 gallons of water which i think is ok. lots of silky white roots in the rainforest. the buckets are just showing roots in the bottom of the big net pots
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 00:53
turned on the other 1000w and moved the buckets under it. i have a 6 inch cool tube fixture and an 8 inch fan sucking fresh air from one window and blowing out the other. (i shuttered the window from the inside with plywood and screwed a 2x4 across it for security. home depot supplied the duct fittings.) also there is a 12000 btu air conditioner running to keep it at a 75 F temp. i am using the last of some excellofizz co2 tablets for co2, but im almost out. any good recommendations for co2?
i have used the little compost bucket with air pump before, i will probably go back to that. i dont want to hassle with tanks and things.
i tried the sugar and yeast but it was after about a week or so developing a bad smell and some mold floating around in there. yuck. no more of that.
im looking to add some sort of bud enhancer once ive sexed and flower begins.
a non organic preferably advanced nutrients product.
thanks for any input
i cant explain the lines in the photos, must be the ballasts (one lumatek digital, one conventional)
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 00:53
Apart from the wilted shot your plants look nice PhergusFarma. One question - Why is the rainforest raised up on the crate so much higher than the 2 dwc buckets?
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 04:07
the rainforest is elevated to promote ease in draining. there is a drain tube and i can get just about all of the old juice out into a 5 gallon bucket. i need to find an in line pump that can be hooked to the drain tube.
the girls are still recovering well from the too much light wilting effect, and i said what the heck and dropped out the lights to 12/12 today. they are off now. the rainforest pump and the bubblers (in the buckets too) will stay on 24/7. very low wattage and oxygenated roots are a good thing. the 2 1000w hortilux will cost me about 40-50 usdollars a month in 12/12. so i need to gross at least 4 oz to make up for that cost and also chemicals, time, and materials. hopefully the buckets alone will produce 2-3 oz.
if i dont kill everything. and we are just now sexing, so that could cut down everything in half. we shall see.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 04:28
i can always elevate the buckets once they acclimate to the 1000 w. before the lights went off i dumped the water (ph had risen to high 6) in the buckets and changed to a solution as follows. for 3 gallons water (est.)
Superthirive Gro (just for the first week of 12/12, then Flower) in a powdered form, 1 tsp superthrive liquid stuff followed label (maybe a teaspoon or so) Dark energy, a little less than the max for 3 gallons. Sugar Daddy, 10ml per gallon. this is low, but hey, you can always add stuff. and i used the Flora Blend at about 30ml for the 3 gallons. ph tested at a good 5+ and the ppm for these buckets of whiteness was a powerful 1300. maybe a little strong. i went lighter in the rainforest and no organics. good comparison. the rainforest is at about 1100. everything usually rises due to the evaporative effect. then ill add fresh Reverse Osmosis water. sometimes i have to adjust the RO ph but mostly it is a high 5 low 6. takes 12 gallons waste to make 5 gallons RO. but my tap water is 400+ ppm and ph in the 7-8 range. RO filtered is 40 or less ppm and like i said a 5 - 6 ph . worth 179. usd. no more white mineral deposits on all my stuff. ok grow on , folks.
and puff puff pass.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 04:41
the rainforest holds 10 -13 gallons normal range, i drain into 5 gallon bucket (gravity) and then stop and dump it in the tub, bout 3 times. i wanted to clarify. without elevating the RF, this isnt possible.
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 19:56
Originally posted by PhergusFarma

any good recommendations for co2?

fresh air brought in through an inlet hole, will supply your plants with more than enough co2. you only need to add co2 if you are growing on a very large commercial scale, what you have going will get plenty from the fresh air.

were the photos taken with a mobile phone camera? this will explain the dark lines. camera phones are seriously affected by the ballasts, but proper cameras normally arent, (in my experiance anyway,lol)

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 00:57
thanks for the co2 tip. i probably wont bother with it.
everything looks great perked back up from the wilting. going to buy a small pump so i can drain the rainforest then i can put on the ground. one or two of the plants actually smell good, a little fruity. nice green leaves and new growth. adding fresh water for the next day or so. ill take some pics tomorrow so there will be a greater contrast from the last ones.
i really enjoy this hobby!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 21:55
lowered the rainforest. now i have about 3 feet to the tops from two 1000 watters (hortilux.) im starting them in flower so small because the last ones grew too tall and the bottoms never filled out. these are a little small but after they sex i can kill the males and revert back to 18/6 for a week if i have to. if either of the buckets are female, ill mother it for clones for the next batch. heres some pics. the rainforest plants suffered a little leaf damage when i burned them with the light. i think they will be ok.
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 02:11
Originally posted by PhergusFarma

the rainforest holds 10 -13 gallons normal range, i drain into 5 gallon bucket (gravity) and then stop and dump it in the tub, bout 3 times. i wanted to clarify. without elevating the RF, this isnt possible.

Fair enough, whether you lower the rf or raise the buckets it doesn't really matter, so long as you get the plant tops a little closer to level for even lighting.

IMO going back to 18/6 for a week after sexing is to be avoided. It takes time for the plants to transition between veg and flower and week of 18/6 will just confuse the bejeebus out of them.

Must say they are looking much better than they were a couple of days ago %3chumbs%20Up
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 02:58
ok i understand on the reverting back to 18/6. whatever is female in the RF will stay in 12/12. as long as i can get a few good clones off the females i will leave everything on 12/12.
if fail in the rainforest im going back to 5 gallon buckets with bubblers. this should be a good example of which does better for my purposes. just waiting on sex, checking ph and nute levels twice daily. temperature during the on cycle is 75 f and i have to assume it drops when the lights go out. fan running 24 hours. air con set at 75.
looking forward to each day to see the progress! so much fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>