My 250w CFL Grow Tent Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
slinkiseed View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slinkiseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 250w CFL Grow Tent Project
    Posted: 10 October 2009 at 00:23
Hi Peeps

Thought I'd share with you my first grow tent project, using coco and a 250watt CFL Envirolite. Never had tent before, neither used CFL to flower but noticed a spare meter square in my bedroom, so bought a tent to fit :)

They are about 3 weeks old now, in the midst of training, and will be ready for the big bulb soon. Trying FIM technique and bending side branches with plant ties. From left to right, they are Super Lemon Haze, Alaskan Ice and Cheese, all from Greenhouse Seeds. They are under an under-powered propagation light at the moment, as I smashed the 250w CFL blue bulb last week (big bang, losts of mess). Seems to be going okay for now. I'm keeping the GH Cheese back as a mother, and will flower Alaskan Ice and Super Lemon Haze in the tent. Building an irrigation system next week for this tent.

Currently at 1.4EC and 5.8PH. Humidity approx 55% and temp approx 78F.

I also have a 4-pot Wilma system running, on a 600 HPS with Big Buddha Cheese, in my spare room, also using coco, will post this a bit later. They're at an early cutting stage.

Hope you enjoy the pics and any follow up posts to this project.

I grow 4 small plants at home, for my own personal, medical consumption. I refuse to pay organised crime (drug dealers), and I like to know my smoke is chemical free and harmless to me when smoked.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote slinkiseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 05:14
Can somebody help? Has anybody grown Alaskan Ice before?

The way it grew was amazing. Very fast with very thick, fat leaves. But it's left a completely blocked canopy on top of my plant, as you can see in picture 2. There is no light getting through to the under foliage at all. I have palmed the plant slightly and cannot see taking anymore off, as I have only left my desired grow tips and leafs in place. My plant ties are working nicely on the other 2 strains because they are quite open and receive light well in those places, but the Alaskan Ice is really dense.

Can anybody share some tips on how I can solve this problem? Low stress please...

I grow 4 small plants at home, for my own personal, medical consumption. I refuse to pay organised crime (drug dealers), and I like to know my smoke is chemical free and harmless to me when smoked.
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 23:08
i wouldnt worry about it mate, it will open out more as it gets bigger, just wait and see how it goes.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
PhergusFarma View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 07:58
you can always try dropping some light down below the canopy. ie some cfls down below the tops (i used 40watt flour. "u" shaped tubes before with a 400 watt hps above and got significantly better growth even during flower from the bottoms than before i had them. (it was in a cold basement so the ballasts for the 40 watters were placed as well as the 400 w ballast, under a raised floor. plywood with vent holes drilled in it on top of cinderblocks. then you just run the wires up to the light sockets above. this is only for cold places. if you in hot temperment hey, remote your ballasts above or away from the roots. i havent tried or used LED lights yet, im not sure about them. but with low heat and high lumens, they might be perfect for "underlighting" with of course an HID on top for serious growth. i dont know anyone personally who has used LED fixtures yet, but will start a separate post on it if i ever do.
puff puff pass.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote slinkiseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 22:47
Took your advice and thought I'd boost the light to the under foliage a little, to bring them out more and up.

As you can see in my pictures I have added a 110w Powerplant Sunmate vegetation light to the side, with a 200w CFL tube above. I will rotate my pots every few hours to get equal distribution.

As you can see on my Super Lemon Haze plant, I went overkill on plant ties for training - working very well on this strain, the cheese too.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote slinkiseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 15:19
No need to worry about my beautiful Alaskan Ice baby anymore!!!

I dropped a 250w CFL bulb on top of it and snapped the plant in many places!! So I think God decided which two strains I will flower for me, the only two remaining! Oops!

When changing lights, be sure to have a firm grip otherwise you'll ruin 4 weeks hard work!
PhergusFarma View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote PhergusFarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 22:53
oh man heartbreaker. sorry to hear that. ive had similar events myself, trying to kill off 6 the other day. thankfully you have the others. good luck.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 15:35
Depending on how much energy the plant has and how thick its limbs are, snapped stems can be taped and splinted and will often heal themselves.

If you're inclined to save the damaged plant, it's worth trying (though it might be a bit late now that 24hrs have passed).
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 16:15
i have fixed many snapped plants, they always seem to live like Ganja said 24hours though may be to long to save it

smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote slinkiseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 19:40
It was sad, I arranged a proper funeral...

I decided to move it into the mother tent and started to string up my new 200w cfl bulb. It came loose and fell directly on top of the plant. Yes, I could have hung the light first!!! Then moved the plant. Idiot!!

I did actually save some of it. Everything snapped off the top totally, leaving only one side shoot remaining. It seems to be repairing slowly. Hopefully it'll become a good mother plant. I'll post a picture of it later.
 Post Reply Post Reply