Nutes and lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nutes and lights
    Posted: 22 November 2009 at 03:25
Originally posted by Ganja

Killing with kindness is a very common problem for first-time growers.Everyone wants their new babies to do as well as possible and, unfortunately, this often means over-watering, over-feeding and over-management of plants. Tiny aberrations in growth pattern, plant appearance or leaf colouring often receive too much attention from worried growers, and steps taken to 'fix' the problem can often make things worse, when the plant in question would have been fine when left to its own devices.Plants generally do best when a few basic growing requirements are met and they are then left alone. I remember when I have little experience in growing, a flatmate was bringing up a few plants in a pot in the back garden. It was a good, sunny spring and he was out there poring over his plants 5 or 10 times per day, watering, examining and fretting that they were growing very, very slowly. Each time he went out to check on them, he'd water them a little more and they stayed in stasis. After about 4 weeks he had to go away for a week, and care of the plants was left to the rest of the house. The plants were allowed to dry out - we only watered them once or twice in that week. When the plants' owner came back, he was surprised to see that they had doubled in size. You could actually see the point at which he went away in the foliage - it went from pale green and misshapen to healthy, dark green and vigorous.Basically, when a plant is young (first 4 weeks), leave it alone as much as possible.
  • Be very careful about over-watering it - soil should be allowed to almost dry out before watering again.This can work out to only 1 or 2 waterings per week, as seedling consume moisture very slowly. Plants need more water as they get bigger.
  • Seedlings need little or no nutrient for the first week or two, even when growing on a neutral hydro medium. In soil, they definitely don't need any, as the soil is full of nutrients.
  • Seeds need no nutrients or hormones to germinate - they'll either do it under their own power, or they won't germinate.
  • Young plants should be given plenty of bright light (without being kept too close to the lamp)
  • Young plants, especially seedlings, need an atmosphere of moving air in order to strengthen their stems. Plants started in an environment with static air are usually weaker.
  • High humidity is beneficial to young plants, especially clones, which, at first, do not have roots to absorb moisture. A covered, clear-topped propagator is often beneficial to clones, as it keeps humidity concentrated in a small space. However, such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.

Hi Ganja,

I think you explained everything happend. I really did too much in everything to my plant so now I am going to be very carefull watering and everything else.
I am going to start over again this week and will follow all your advices, hope can give you better news next time!

I appreciate your help, it will be extremely important for my next grow.
MotorcycleMick View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MotorcycleMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 20:53
Originally posted by Ganja

such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.
I used a propagator on seedlings and felt like it prolonged there growth and then questioned its use, now it all makes sense!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 12:15
Killing with kindness is a very common problem for first-time growers.

Everyone wants their new babies to do as well as possible and, unfortunately, this often means over-watering, over-feeding and over-management of plants. Tiny aberrations in growth pattern, plant appearance or leaf colouring often receive too much attention from worried growers, and steps taken to 'fix' the problem can often make things worse, when the plant in question would have been fine when left to its own devices.

Plants generally do best when a few basic growing requirements are met and they are then left alone.

I remember when I have little experience in growing, a flatmate was bringing up a few plants in a pot in the back garden. It was a good, sunny spring and he was out there poring over his plants 5 or 10 times per day, watering, examining and fretting that they were growing very, very slowly. Each time he went out to check on them, he'd water them a little more and they stayed in stasis. After about 4 weeks he had to go away for a week, and care of the plants was left to the rest of the house. The plants were allowed to dry out - we only watered them once or twice in that week. When the plants' owner came back, he was surprised to see that they had doubled in size. You could actually see the point at which he went away in the foliage - it went from pale green and misshapen to healthy, dark green and vigorous.

Basically, when a plant is young (first 4 weeks), leave it alone as much as possible.
  • Be very careful about over-watering it - soil should be allowed to almost dry out before watering again.This can work out to only 1 or 2 waterings per week, as seedling consume moisture very slowly. Plants need more water as they get bigger.
  • Seedlings need little or no nutrient for the first week or two, even when growing on a neutral hydro medium. In soil, they definitely don't need any, as the soil is full of nutrients.
  • Seeds need no nutrients or hormones to germinate - they'll either do it under their own power, or they won't germinate.
  • Young plants should be given plenty of bright light (without being kept too close to the lamp)
  • Young plants, especially seedlings, need an atmosphere of moving air in order to strengthen their stems. Plants started in an environment with static air are usually weaker.
  • High humidity is beneficial to young plants, especially clones, which, at first,  do not have roots to absorb moisture. A covered, clear-topped propagator is often beneficial to clones, as it keeps humidity concentrated in a small space. However, such a propagator is not advised for seedlings, as they need moving air. Since they can absorb moisture through their roots, they don't need to be kept in a super-humid environment.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MotorcycleMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 20:35
i think he was showing to much love :/
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:53
Originally posted by yoka86

probably I will let her in the lights for few days and see if new leaves will appear! It happened after night that I spray nitrogen on her... But I think I gave a lot of differents kind of feed maybe that was the problem. I am planning start over again as soon as possible, I have one seed already for 10 days germinating but it has never sprout.
How do you germinate your seeds paper towel ? with homones ?
Thanks for your advise man, I did my best for the first time growing!

i always follow the paper towel method, never use hormones or anything like that for germing, seeds have all they need to get started in life, we just need to give them a bit of water, and alot of love.
try keeping it simple next time.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:49
probably I will let her in the lights for few days and see if new leaves will appear! It happened after night that I spray nitrogen on her... But I think I gave a lot of differents kind of feed maybe that was the problem. I am planning start over again as soon as possible, I have one seed already for 10 days germinating but it has never sprout.
How do you germinate your seeds paper towel ? with homones ?
Thanks for your advise man, I did my best for the first time growing!

bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:31
i would say you would be extremely lucky to bring that back, although i have seen it happen a couple of times.
what did you ever do to it?

my advise would be to get some decent soil from a grow shop, and start over again.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 01:26

Why this happened less than 24 hours?
Someone know the reason of death ? or it is still alive ?

My concerns,

yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:55
Please tell me that she can recovery her healthy!!!!!
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:54
Hello I am again here posting new pictures to get opnions,
I think my young leaves and my internodes are doing very good after this deficiency.

Wait for comments,

yoka
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 22:47
I told you that in my next seed I will try don´t feed when young!
That´s all... hope you understood.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MotorcycleMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 12:28

???????

yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 01:05
I will try to do that... but something different is happening , my new leaves sprouting are longer and appears to becoming a five set of leaves! As soon as they sprout I will post pictures to see if it is healthy.
So... you don´t like coco as a medium ?
I thought it was more neutral medium that I could use!
Anyway thanks for your attention
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MotorcycleMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 00:22
 I think if you are to grow anymore plants you should just put the seed in good soil, water it and let it grow, its sounds to complicated what your are doing for such a small grow and not much experiance like me well indoors anyway, and i know you want the best for your plants but sumtimes such a simple approach can work out very well. Good soil, tomato Food and read the amount of millilitres of plant food you should use in conjuction to the water if there seedlings  (very tiny plants) do not need any food if there in soil or a mineral full growing media.
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 23:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>