new grower seeking a lil guidence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 18:04
Halogen lights aren't particularly useful for indoor growing, as they give out the wrong colour of light - mostly yellow, IIRC - in the middle of the spectrum, rather than the red or blue (from opposite ends) that plants really need.

For just a little more power consumption, 140 watts of fluorescent lighting* will give more light and more usable lumens in the correct spectrum(s) while generating less heat. Fluorescent lights are cheap to buy; the 120cm ones are comparatively cheaper than the 60cm (ie much less than twice the price) but 120cm tubes may not fit in a small space.

As Ruffyen says, a 12hr light/12hr dark cycle causes cannabis to flower. Plants usually gain height in an 18-on/6-off cycle, and are then switched over to 12/12 for blooming. If you're in the blooming period, you should definitely not add any light in the dark part of the cycle, as this can mess everything up.

Most all, change the lights. The difference in end results from fluoros vs halogens will surprise you. It's almost not worth it to take the risk of growing and spend the money to power the lights when the end result is unlikely to reach its full potential.

* 4 x 120cm tubes will consume 144w, same as 8 x 60cm tubes
A 120cm tube consumes 36w and gives out about 3500 lumens. A 60cm tube is half that.

EDIT - also, there's no need to trim anything!
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
stoneyyay View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneyyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 07:32
another note when should i start trimming i'll post some pics in a day or 2 i did a little looking up and i think the bulbs are 2500 k and i dont want to spend  a small fortune on grow stuff

stoneyyay View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneyyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 02:24
Thanx for your input ruffyen, not too sure about heat being an issue as im running two 60 watt halos and if it gets too hot i can either put my bigger fan in there and a bigger extractor fan in there too or turn one light out and as far as the colour range i have NO idea how to tell what range the bulbs  are in, they're ge edison 60 watt halogen bulbs model 00658like i said this is just for fun and "free smoke" and have u even heard of using neons for a "night cycle"
note the box holds 2 nicely( for now at least)
ruffyen View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ruffyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 01:58
Well first off from all the reading that I have done in these forums I will start from the top. The tin foil, Tin foil is bad for grow boxes for a few reasons, the main reason being that mirrors and surfaces like that not only reflect light but also the heat. I would suggest due to the relative small size of the grow box either looking for mylar or painting, covering the walls with something flat white.

I am going to assume from the size of the box that you are growing around 3 plants. For 3 plants I think that 160w should be ok. Just make sure that while you are in the veg stage that you are using bulbs in the 6500 color range.

Photo periods - You are talking about one 12 hour cycle...in the veg stage you need to be running lights at least 18 hours. Some people run them for 24 hours...I personally run them 18 giving the plants some time to "sleep". Once your plants get to the point where you want to flip the switch essentially and put them in flower stage that is when you change it down to 12 hours.

Fertilizers aka nutes - I bought some Bio-Bizz, they have two different formulas one that is good for vegging one that is good for flower. I purchased both...the nutes run around 20 bucks a bottle but they last for a long time. I have been using the nutes for almost 2 months now and barely put a dent in my bottle. I am going to go ahead and tell you dont make the same mistake most newbies make and buy miracle grow...that stuff is WAY too powerful and unless its ALL you have you have to cut that stuff bigtime, like 1part MG 5 parts water maybe even more.

As for bud yield. Its really hard to say, but the best advice I can give you on that is lots of light and careful attention to nutes.

Take most of my advice with a grain of salt though as I am pretty much a first time grower myself. My current crop of 4 plants is going way better than my first grow of one pant. I am using a 400w HPS ballast with an MH conversion bulb. I just built a cabinet today that I am going to elaborate on in another post read up on it if you want.

Cheers and good luck.
stoneyyay View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneyyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 01:29
happy 420 or at least my time of this writing.for starters im not doing anyhing huge just having some fun i've set up a a large box and lined it with tinfoil and am running 2 60 watt halos, sometimes just one if the temp gets too highand they seem to be loving it i put them in there after about 2 -3 weeks of sitting in the window and the weather got crappy so i made their new home in 1 12 hour cycle they popped 2 more nodes each (2)and added another half inch in height.. so now onto details which fertilizers work best for what stages?? i also want to keep them relativly small but yield large buds for their size (its not a huge box 4 1/2 feet tall by 2' wide and 1 1/2 deep) do i have enough lighting. another question was would running a blue neon during its 12 hour "night cycle" help stimulate growth at all ( uv rays produced from said neons). ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated.

i'll smoke one for you
%3cig%3c
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12