First Time Grow - Early Skunk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joonei View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joonei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Grow - Early Skunk
    Posted: 16 August 2009 at 13:34
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time grower and I thought I would show my progress so far and look for some feedback. I was in amsterdam a year ago and picked up some Early Skunk SS as a souveneir. Just for fun I decided to germinate a seedling, and 3 months past were it grew outdoors with minimal maintenance. It was around 1.6M tall, and was becoming a bit of an eye catcher, so I decided to get serious and buy an indoor kit, topped and cropped the plant and now have her indoors :)

So far I have had her under 12/12 for 15 days (400W HPS). She started showing sex round day 4, and I'm happy that my first plant ever turned out to be female :) Here's some pics!

The fan leaves here look fairly normal, sticking out straight here.

Some odd curling on the fan leaves, some going up some doing down. Doesn't look normal.

[ The fan-leaf stems started turned red around 1 week into 12/12 - Normal? ]

The stems of the fan leaves near the top of the main branches have been turning red for the last few days. I have been reading about this and most seem to say this is just normal, whereas some charts say it is a deficiency. Does it look ok? Some of the fan leaves are also starting to turn in odd directions, some curled in and dropping down with others curled towards the lights. I only noticed this happening yesterday, any ideas what it might be?

Some details
I've noticed it get quite hot in the homebox, around 32C. I don't have an intake fan, but I do have two 6" fans and an extractor. Is this too hot? I'm hoping to buy an intake fan soon.
Outside I only needed to water her once every 3-4 days (My water PH is 7, it's rain water collected in a water butt), but indoors she seems to need a water every morning (or by the end of the day she is drooping badly). So now I started to give her 1Litre of water a day (she's in a 15Litre pot). I have been feeding every 4 days. Up to now it has been 1ml/L of BioBizz Bloom and BioBizz Grow. Today I changed that slightly to 1ml/L BioBizz Grow, TopMax and Alg-A-Mic with 1.5ml/L of Bio Bloom. Any comments on this schedule?

Thanks for taking the time to see my grow, any tips or feedback are really appreciated! :)
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 21:42
32c is far to hot mate, if you have an extractor removing hot air, you also need an inlet hole allowing fresh cool air in. you dont need a second extract fan for this to work, so long as the inlet hole isnt bigger than the hole you are extracting out of, it will work as a vacuum.
try to keep temps between 18c-23c, and rh between 30%-50%.

the ph of your water is slightly high, but i wouldnt worry to much if you are growing in soil.

as for your watering, give them a proper good soaking, until you get approximatly a 10% run off from the drainage holes in the pots, then dont water them until the top couple of inches of soil becomes dry. i use 10l pots, and my girls take 3l every watering, and they get watered every 2-4 days when the weathers hot, and every 6-8 days when the weather is cold, but only once dry. i also use 3 different methods for checking when they need watering,
1) checking the top 2 inches of soil.
2) checking the weight of the pots,(feel the weight after a good watering, and you will feel the difference once dry).
3) i also use a moisture metre.

your feed schedule seems ok, just remember to up the bloom and top max as the plants get bigger, you may find you will need to keep using the grow throughout flowering too, and i would suggest upping the alg-a-mic too, alg-a-mic is only a seaweed vitality booster, and cannot overfeed your plants, i normally use between 3-5 ml per litre during flowering.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 03:10
gr8 advice bart,Joonei congrats
she looks a good size
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 22:28
Yeah I secound that good advis from Bartman. Like Holistic says it's a good size, so hopefully plenty of bud, once you sort the problems out. Good one.
Why did God give these Humans freewill...Now their all confused.
patch View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 05:32
Good effort man, looking really nice :) how much did you spend out on your homebox?
I grow to smoke, I smoke to get high.
Joonei View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Joonei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 23:31
Wow, thank you bartman for such a detailed reply! I really appreciate the help :)

Originally posted by bartmanuk

32c is far to hot mate, if you have an extractor removing hot air, you also need an inlet hole allowing fresh cool air in. you dont need a second extract fan for this to work, so long as the inlet hole isnt bigger than the hole you are extracting out of, it will work as a vacuum.
try to keep temps between 18c-23c, and rh between 30%-50%.

Ouch. The room temperature is about 20-22C during the day which is when the light is on. Up until yesterday I have had all the inlet grills on the bottom of the homebox sealed. I opened them up, and left the door half zipped open. The temp went down to about 28-29C but I still have a way to go. I'm thinking of getting an inline fan for the bottom of it, and putting a ceiling fan in the room to move the air around a bit. I hope that's enough, I'm not really sure what else to do.

the ph of your water is slightly high, but i wouldnt worry to much if you are growing in soil.

Yep I'm growing it in soil with a top dressing of vermiculite.

as for your watering, give them a proper good soaking, until you get approximatly a 10% run off from the drainage holes in the pots, then dont water them until the top couple of inches of soil becomes dry. i use 10l pots, and my girls take 3l every watering, and they get watered every 2-4 days when the weathers hot, and every 6-8 days when the weather is cold, but only once dry. i also use 3 different methods for checking when they need watering,
1) checking the top 2 inches of soil.
2) checking the weight of the pots,(feel the weight after a good watering, and you will feel the difference once dry).
3) i also use a moisture metre.

Unfortunately due to the temps I didn't need any measure to know she needed a watering, she has gone really droopy after maybe 18hours since her last watering. I have only been giving her either a litre or 1.5litre of water each time which doesnt give much runoff. Today though I gave her around 2.5 litres and got around 10% runoff. With the temps a little lower now hopefully she will go longer without needing a watering.

your feed schedule seems ok, just remember to up the bloom and top max as the plants get bigger, you may find you will need to keep using the grow throughout flowering too, and i would suggest upping the alg-a-mic too, alg-a-mic is only a seaweed vitality booster, and cannot overfeed your plants, i normally use between 3-5 ml per litre during flowering.

Great! I have been fairly cautious since I didn't want to overfeed her. I'll make the adjustments to my schedule :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

@patch
I got the 160x80x80mm one and it cost €200. :-)
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 23:56
Originally posted by Joonei

Wow, thank you bartman for such a detailed reply! I really appreciate the help :)

no worries dude, just passing on the knowledge %3cool

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Joonei View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Joonei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 23:30
24 days of 12/12 so I thought I'd post an update :) I have been working hard to try and get the temperature down, and up until now I have been leaving the main door half open, and opened all the panels at the bottom of the tent. This surprisingly brought the temps down to around 25C. The problem is I have had the temp sensor on the floor of the tent, and I read that you should leave it at plant height in the light of the lamp. After doing this, the temps were around 30C (even with the tent half open - which led to some unwelcome flying visitors).

I've since installed an intake fan, and now with the tent fully sealed up the temps are around 29C in the light. This is probably a big improvement from what I had at the start.

My plant has started THC production as the new fan leaves coming out from where the clusters of pistils are have lots of crystals on them. The pistil clusters have gotten a lot fatter in the last week too.

I'm hoping that the reason the leaves are turning up/down/bending down/curled over on some stems is a result of the heat in the tent. I nearly have a ceiling fan set up in the same room as the tent now so that should help move the exhausted air around. I think a 400W bulb just produces too much heat in the small area.

I've adjusted my feed schedule, which is now:
1ml Grow, 2ml Bloom, 1.5ml top max, 3ml alg-a-mic per litre. And she gets 1.75 litres every 2 days now (feeding every other watering).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know :-) I hope she can survive the heat.
Joonei View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Joonei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 22:31
Just a small update, temps are around 25C now so hopefully my heat problems are over. Here she is after 34 days 12/12. Any idea when she'll be done? :-)

patch View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 08:28
Looks Really nice dude, hope you heat troubles are over !
depends how you want your smoke to be/ as to when there ready..

I like it as heavy as possible %3co%20high i would leave it another 30 days and check trich's/hairs, with a 30x loope se if there really cloudy, but down to you really!

All the best
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 09:38
looking good joonei,

i would say a good 4-5 weeks till they are mature dude, only  get a scope and check the trichs if you know what you are doing, better advice would be to just go by the pistils (white hairs) when you have between 50-75% brown/orange hairs, then your ready to harvest.

the more brown hairs you have will give you more of a body stone, less brown hairs will give a more head high buzz.

hope this helps.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
patch View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 13:42
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 15:02
the problem with the trichome method, is more often than not, the different buds will have different trichs, you may have some buds with clear and cloudy, some with just cloudy, some with some cloudy and a few amber, and maybe some with all amber, etc etc....

and if you wait for the clear and cloudy trichs to go amber, the trichs that were already amber 1st will become over ripe, and therefore begin to degrade before you harvest.

to make things simple, harvest when 50% hairs are brown/orange for a head high, and harvest when 75% hairs turn brown/orange for a body stone. this method will give a much more overall guide, with a far lesser chance of going over ripe.

BM %3c3ceed%3c20leaf
steoneo View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote steoneo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 01:40
  hi joonel, %3chumbs%20Up  nice looking plants & pics there,nice to read your temps are getting right also as a beginer myself found there are important. great advice from BM %3ceed%20leaf  good luck %3cmile    Regards steoneo          ps BM, %3ceed%20leaf   I to learned a good deal from this thread, cheers best wishes.      
its a hole new world at sensi cheers
breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 14:32
nice to see your grow joonei and thanks all for this importants tips. and i learn it patch and bart,at the right time and the right place!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>