cupboard to BudBox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chrissyblaze View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cupboard to BudBox
    Posted: 14 June 2009 at 22:40
Heres my question to all you pros out there. I am taking delivery of a genuine BudBox on Tuesday. I already have a cupboard set up but for security reasons we decided to get the box. (have a look in my photos). I have my plants in a decent compost and vermiculite mix, adding seaweed, sequested iron and nitrozyme when needed and they are doing fine. BUT i have bought 50l of Canna Organic soil. When moving from the cupboard to the box I am going to transfer once final time into bigger pots, 14l.  Will the plants be ok swapping mediums half way through their cycle or should I stay with what I got and save the Canna for the next crop???
Guy from the hydro shop said no problem. Tip the plants upside down gently. Once free try to remove as much of the original medium as possible, even by gently shaking it. Then transplant.
Do you mix vermiculite with Canna soil????
Cheers and happy growing.%3coving%20it

Chris, Chris The Lemon Man
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 05:12
Originally posted by chrissyblaze

Guy from the hydro shop said no problem. Tip the plants upside down gently. Once free try to remove as much of the original medium as possible, even by gently shaking it. Then transplant. Do you mix vermiculite with Canna soil????
Cheers and happy growing.%3c3coving%3c20it

Chris did the hydro salesman actually tell you to remove the original soil before replanting? It sounds a rather bizarre way to go about repotting. I haven't used Canna's soil, but vermiculite isn't really something to add to soil, it will make it boggy as it breaks down. If you want to increase the amount of air the soil is carrying you could try adding 10 -25% perlite.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 09:51
You haven't really answered my question.
Yes the salesman really did say that. What do you think I should do?
I've been using vermiculite since planting. Canna is supposed to be a fantastic growing medium for mj and it's organic.
Are you saying keep with what I got when replanting. Can I change mediums mid growth or not, will it shock the plant? If what you say about vermiculite is correct well then I defo need to transplant. What would you do? I have been using vermiculite from the begining and no one has said anything on these forum pages.
Cheers Chris%3coving%20it
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 14:40
Probably best to save the canna soil for next time.

Mixing mediums isn't the end of the world, but I prefer to keep plants in the same medium from start to finish.

Attempting to brush the existing soil off a fragile root structure is a bad idea and is likely to do a lot more harm than good. I'd only consider such surgery if the soil was actually damaging the plant.

Sarah is right that it's a bizarre way to repot. I'm surprised that you were advised to do this.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by chrissyblaze

What do you think I should do?

I think you should leave them alone and let them grow in peace.

And when it comes time to pot them up, ie) when they need more room for root growth, do so as gently as possible, maintaining the root ball intact. Which brand of soil you use is up to you.

I have no idea what you mean by 'mid growth' or 'mid cycle', but the method suggested by the salesman would be a traumatic experience for a plant at anytime. The only time I might consider doing that is if the plant was originally growing in a very poor medium and suffering.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 15:33
Cheers gange,
The guy did say it! He is very young.
I bought this soil especially for the transfer, Canna Terra Organic.
Surely if I gently keep the root ball with existing medium and transfer to the Canna it can only do it good, no?
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 15:43
dude dont mess around you dont want your plants to be too shocked, i would just do as ganja and SL said leave your canna terra for the next grow, if you still have some of your composted soil add that in instead, do not take off acsess soil and switch you will probably only do them more harm then good
smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 16:46
The salesman gave you bad advise. Sounds like you need to pot on, but stick to the same medium, don't shake any off from the smaller pots. Water well before repotting and when you tip the pot upside down, a few taps on the side's of the pot and the plant with rootball and soil will slide out nicely without damaging yer roots. Then it's ready for the 14 litre pots. If the plants are flowering this will shock em a bit, but in veg it's not so bad.
Why did God give these Humans freewill...Now their all confused.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 18:42
Thank you every one for your advice.
Sarah you mentioned Perlite instead of Vermiculite, do you think, or anyone else, I can at least change that or leave well alone? Plants are looking fantastic.
They are still vegging so wil re-pot when ready to flower.
Bud box coming tomorrow. What started out as some seeds to grow out side, has turned into a full system costing the best part of £700.
F.....g loving it!%3coving%20it
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 00:37
Chris, if this pic is anywhere near recent, please try and just leave them alone for a few weeks. Feed and water as necessary, of course, but leave the potting mix alone until they need repotting.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 03:59
That pic doesn't do them justice. They are lovely bushy plants apart from the Thai. They are a fair size bigger now than in the pic. Are you saying that when I re-pot I can change the medium?. I'm not unhappy with what I'm using now, but if there is anything I can do to improve them well obviously I'll use that. 
I spend a lot of time with the plants and obviously am looking for quality rather than yield, although both would be nice.
All advice welcome. Cheers%3coving%20it 
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 04:20
Chris%20cupboard
Monday night after some fan chopping.
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 08:50
looking healthy%3chumbs%20Up
ANDWHAT
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chrissyblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 10:43
Cheers mate!
I love them%3coving%20it
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 10:56
Chris they are your plants, so what you do with them is your choice. I personally wouldn't be touching them until they actually need to go into bigger pots and then I wouldn't remove any of the existing soil, just pot the lot up into another pot. It's good practice to maintain the same substrate throughout the grow, but I don't think it will make much difference which bag of soil you choose for potting up.

This is an example of a plant with enough roots to be repotted into a larger sized pot.

I fill the new pot with the old pot sitting inside where I want the plant to eventually sit. I then lightly water the soil in the new pot with seaweed extract and leave it to drain for 30 mins.

Then I gently remove the inner pot with the plant, leaving a perfectly sized space for the root ball.

Then I remove the old pot and slide the plant carefully into the hole in the new pot and water lightly around the seam.

After potting up I place the plant in dim lighting for the rest of the day (to reduce photosynthesis) and observe for transplant shock.

I rarely see any evidence of transplant shock in cannabis plants but I think it still pays to take precautions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>