about Growing with Leds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
myledbuds View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote myledbuds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: about Growing with Leds
    Posted: 08 May 2009 at 13:56
Yo!!
I wanted to take a minute and update folks on led growing in this particular genre.
I know there are many people(most who havent tried) leds that really cant quite raptheir heads around the idea that these lights actually work.
Lets do the right thing from the get go........
There was a day when there were not many videos of led grows or reliable pics and that has changed over the last year. The bias from most growerscomes from old you tube videos of grows attempted by people who really didnt understand leds and even worse...attempted to make their own. If it wasnt that then it was an inferioir product that people used expecting grandious results.
Ive been using leds for well over a year now and have grown a multitude of different plants under my leds. To date.....i have had nothing but excellent results in both veg growth and flowering......regardless of what I decided to grow. Being involved with many different growing forums across the board from this genre and from standard "regular" growing forums......I have had others like myself that use leds and they have also have had excellent results. The only complaint by most is the price. Performance reports from 9 other led growers were all totted as "better than I thought"  "growth rate is unreal" "gram weight and resin production were excellent and taste......way better!!"
There are many people now that have decided to take the leap and use leds. When I first started using them.....i went into it completely un-biased and excited to see results. I wasnt let down at all. Like any other light....limitations need to be adhered to and followed for desired results. I have tested the lights I use with the following:
Sunflowers
roses
amarylis
bromiliads
peppers
tomatoes
peas
lillies
chamamoille
lavender
catnip
corn
nemophela
basil
thyme
rosemary
carrots
tropicals
orchids
To date....evry single one of these grows (along with one more...wink!!) Has shown me excellent growth rates, perfect internodal length, exceptional flowering and fruiting...and improved taste in edibles due to higher glucose levelsfrom spectral effeciency and output.
Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for letting me share.
Peace!!!
herbalhealing View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote herbalhealing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 17:54
I was hoping you might be able to give some advice on LED's for growing hydro sativa. Any partcular LEd brand you could recomend and ratios light to plants size etc. Do you know of any comercial growers using this method?
Thanks for the help
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 15:49
Sunflowers with LED's? I'm glad you posted this under myths.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 19:11
I'd be interested to know the price of an LED panel or lamp that will effectively illuminate one square metre.

Also the lumen rating of such a light and its effective distance (ie how far from the LEDs this light is still useful to plants)
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 11:15
Looking around LED technology is moving on, the price's are still high though. I did find one serious company that sale's very high output LED's for growing and flowering.

www.prosourceworldwide.com
 It's worth a look. Lot's of information on LED's. But scroll down the home page and check out the Illuminator SuperPro Hybrid 700w. Cover's a 6 x 8 area. Bloody expensive though !

Why did God give these Humans freewill...Now their all confused.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 12:54
$2700 US dollars? ("retails for $3900"!)
PMSL, as the young folks say.

That's frankly ridiculous. Even if LEDs lived up to the claims (which hasn't been demonstrated independently AFAIK), that's... what, 10 to 15 times the price of a 600w HPS.

The 90w UFO light is $350, and I notice they're curiously bashful about giving it a lumen rating. They offer  the idea that it emits as many 'usable' lumens as a 400w HPS.

That was the same claim made about envirolights, which didn't turn out to be true. Not to run down envirolights, as they're great in certain applications (and cheap!), but two 110w enviros did not turn out to give as much bud growth as a single 600w HPS, as many of their early sellers claimed.

Basically, if LEDs were anything close to the price of normal lights, I might consider them a viable option. As these prices it's snake-oil.

Also: 5 pages of 5-star customer reviews. Convincing!
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 16:42
While you change your pants ganja, I'll put my anorak back on. There was some useful information on LED's in general I thought. Still I get your point and missed the sales blurb on the customer reviews. Glad it's the myth's section.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 17:19
I dunno, I really like the idea of low-heat, lower power consumption LEDs. It's a shame they price themselves out of so many people's budgets.

Still, LED (and OLED) technology is getting better all the time. The first TVs using them are just being released. If LED grow lamps are a viable option, the price should decrease rapidly before too long. Colour LCD screens were a thing of wonder and great expense not so long ago.
masteryi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote masteryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 12:23
Originally posted by Ganja

The 90w UFO light is $350, and I notice they're curiously bashful about giving it a lumen rating. They offer  the idea that it emits as many 'usable' lumens as a 400w HPS.

what you call as "UFO Light" is not original American-made.The product is manufactured in a factory called "growing led" in my city.they also export the goods to Japan and other countries of Asia for the vegetable and fruit indoor grow.the price that i get from the factory'sale department is 1300RMB,about 130 Euro!
MzThang View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote MzThang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 07:11
Hey guys. I'm actually new to the growing thing. And I'm still in the process of getting things delivered. Hopefully the seeds are here in a couple of days and I'm expecting the lights to be here by next week. After a lot of searching around for cheaper ways to do lighting for my plant, I've found a couple of companies that are willing to sell these LED panels for a whole lot cheaper than that site. Granted, I'm not sure how their qualities compare, but let's face it, just about everything comes out of China. So, realistically speaking, their quality should all be about the same.

Anyways, all I wanted to say was that if the company that I ordered these lights from gives me a great product, I'll be more than willing to give you guys their webpage. As for now, I'll keep it shushed and hope that their product is awesome. %3coving%20it
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 09:39
The other potential problem with LED systems is their usable distance. That is, at a metre or more from the panel, is the light they emit still good for promoting plant growth?

HID bulbs are too bright to look at, and their light loses a lot of its power beyond a metre or two from the bulb. LEDs are not as intense, so I have a feeling their optimal illumination will be within a metre or less of the panel/light.
patch View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 00:50
I agree ^^

HID + Enviro's
I grow to smoke, I smoke to get high.
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 22:35
Yeah just keeping an eye on LED's. Think we're a few years off yet before they become a viable option, certainly need a lot more intensity. Been looking at some interesting flourescents in the making in Holland, so keeping an eye on that to.
Amsterdamned View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Amsterdamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 22:08
led's are now strong enough to be used as automotive headlights. I have a 3 watt led flashlight that puts out insane amounts of light from 2 AA batteries, and a single led.
19.5 years of sobriety, vs. 3 days in Amsterdam... Amsterdam won.
DriveBy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote DriveBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 21:42
Friend ordered from UK very cheap under what HPS costs. It has switch to change spectrum two or three different. Uses it for veggin but like G said LEDs range is short. Im not personally into LEDs, not yet anyway, trust my HPS cost 125e. Need new bulb tough the one I use is three years old 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>