Yellow fan leaves toward the bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cabbage Patch Kid View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cabbage Patch Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow fan leaves toward the bottom
    Posted: 17 April 2009 at 15:04

Hello all, this is my very first post (ahh bless!)

'my firend' is currently growing 4 UK cheese plants (1st grow), all is well apart from three or four sets of leaves have begun to yellow, some with the odd brown spots all in the middle of the plant toward the bottom.

there soil grown and 25 days into flowering (48 days total) feed has just been increased to 10ml of Formulex and 10ml bloom per 1ltr of water per plant every other day, and then a litre of old water on non feed days.

the plant is around 120cm tall if that helps and ive put a few pics to show the leaves yellowing, they went light green to begin with and then spotted light green with yellow undertones and then progressively got yellower over about 15 days or so and now the tips are staring to brown. believe it or not these photos are the same leaves.
day 33 (day 10 of 12/12)

day 48 (day 25 of 12/12)

ive noticed humidity very high in the dark period- probably between 60 and 80% (hoping a bowl of rice will help this) and temps are normally 20-25 light on and rarely goes below 15 light off.

are my mates daughters in trouble or is this semi normal?  any input is appreciated, thanks.

other than that there doing really well....just starting to stink reet good %3cig%3c

CPK
Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it....   im actually completly atheist but its nice to know jesus approves
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 18:39
Why dont people READ!!!!!! this question has been asked a dozen times in the past few months, reading is a big thing that helps ya learn the powers of being a grower. 
smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Cabbage Patch Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 20:23
so you can't get a magic ring out of a corn flakes box and then summon the powers of growing then.

also what helps ya learn is speaking to like minded individuals who have had experiences you yourself have not, my apologies if this has been asked allot recently but having done a search on this forum when joining and not seeing anything exactly similar to what ive described above thought it may be a good idea to get the opinion of said likeminded individuals. hence the above post.

i dont mean to get pissy but thats just not constructive or helpful whichever way you look at it.

Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it....   im actually completly atheist but its nice to know jesus approves
cashcrop View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote cashcrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 02:34
hi cpk

isnt formulex for younger plants to get a good start to life rarther than the larger flowering plant. i know it is multi purpose but i would think it is not strong enough  to give the plants enough N that they need. do you ph your water?  have you any grow nute? like biobizz or canna grow? how old, is the old water on the none feed days.?

cc %3coint

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 10:47
the plant will get rid of the lower fan leaves which dont get much light.
Its a Nitrogen deficiency, but nothing to worry about as long as its the lower leaves.

you have a problem when the new growth starts yellowing.

check your pH.
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 12:08
im with cc and blackmore,

looks like a bit of N def, but nothing to worry about on lower leaves. i dont know anything about the nutes you use, but if cc is right about the formulex being a starter nute then you definatly need a grow nute of some sort, as mentioned bio bizz grow is very good.

more info also helps, ph is not overly important in soil, but will cause trouble if its to high or to low, between about 6.3-6.8 is a good guide, ph needs to be measured in the feed water, then the ph of the soil, then lastly the ph of the run off should be checked.

i also would like to know what you mean by 'old water'.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Cabbage Patch Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 14:00

thanks for the input guys, it says a complete and balanced solution on the bottle but i think your right cc, formulex is geared to younger plants - 2.4 / 0.9 / 3.4 NPK, i might just have to up the feed slightly till i can get my ass down to the shop. shame because the formulex has been brilliant up untill now.  could i carry on using formulex in higher quantities?

i dont currently take PH readings of the soil because the fancy pen i have doesnt work in mud, i know that the feed going in is around 6.5 ish.

the run off from all 4 plants goes into a central resevoir which gets emptied once a week- would ph readings from that give any idea? just guessing here but if the PH is 7 in the resevoir for example then it must mean the plants are extracting all or most of the nutrients and need more, right?? 

oh, and old water is just tap water thats been standing in my shed for 2 days.

again - thanks for the advice, its really appreciated

CPK
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 12:04
Formulex is perfect for raising seedlings, cuttings and growing lettuces hydroponically. I think you're lucky it has taken the plants this far without too much trouble. Probably not advisable to just up the strength, the pH of formulex is a low 2.9 and that could upset your soil balance in the long term. 

If you don't fancy spending a lot of money, a bottle of fish emulsion will do the job.

Don't bother testing the waste reservior, you'll need to tap the runoff from each pot to get a meaningful pH reading.

The humidity spike after lights out can usually be fixed by keeping the ventilation system active for an hour or so after the lights go out, or active periodically during the lights out period. I think in your case either option is going to lower your overnight temps into marginal territory, you'll probably have to look at supplementary heating as well.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Cabbage Patch Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 17:17
Just a quick update for yall..

ive cut back on formulex and switched to a 'house and garden' 2 part nutrient that i got with the kit originally from esoteric, which seems to have done the trick.

holy moly - didnt realise formulex was that acidic. it said a 'balanced PH' on the bottle so i assumed it would be alot closer to 7. another shinning example of why assumption isnt all that smart.

its day 44 of 12/12 and by my count i will be starting to flush in 6 days. good times.. from what ive heard and read it seems that 2 weeks is about the best length of time to flush, woud you lot agree with that?

sarah, that 80% humidity in the dark was with the fan on 24/7, ive been playing and have got it down to about 60%-70% hum and then falls to 40% after the lights been on for an hour. its become painfully obvious that the extraction fan im using is shite.  with the above hum do you think i will have any issues with bud rot? (i do have a standard os fan in there for circulation aswell)

CPK

Post Reply Post Reply