indoor grow questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bugrit2000 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bugrit2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: indoor grow questions
    Posted: 03 April 2009 at 14:31
Hello!

im new here,1st post , been lurking for awhile, great forum
im intrested in growing indoors ive read the faq's/guides ,but ive got some more questions for my case ,i plan to use my closet (height=75 inches Width=30 inches and depth is 23 inches) i went window shopping for materials earlier today to get a ballpark of the materials prices (mh and hps 250 watt  lamps,different kinds exhaust/vent fans ,small fan for air movement )

questions

1) about the seeds ,im located here in the philippines, i have no idea if our varieties are suitable for indoor growing,(i got these seeds from the street bought bricked stuff,they must have been planted here locally outdoors) ive just potted recently germinated seedlings ,im still germinating a couple, ive tried growing one, a couple of years ago ,under a small watt energy saver cfl, died a week later,didnt do much research then heheh)

2)about lighting , i guess ill be using hps , how many watts do you recommend for my closet space?(height=75 inches Width=30 inches and depth is 23 inches) ,i plan to grow just 2 or 3 plants the most ,would it be possible to use lamps lower than 250 watts?incase, how low in terms of wattage can i go? these hps lamps cost much here,im looking if i can cut costs without compromising plant growth

3)for ventilation/exhaust fans , there was a 12inch 33 watt exhaust fan and a 4 inch 12 watt one for bathrooms, which would be suitable?

%3ceed%20leaf

regards,

rit

FYGAS View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote FYGAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 18:37

hi mate and well come to Sensi Seeds Forum

I'm sure the guys here will help you and answer your questions and they will inform you for the basic things that you should know for the first stage. The guys here are really knowledge for this sport!

I’m new here and new grower but from the little knowledge i have, I think all seeds can veggie indoor. For your space I think is small for 2-3 plants but depends from height you want to give them. The 250w lamps I think is great but I don’t know if you can utilization lamps lower than 250w.

And mate I repeat!!! I’m new grower and don’t take this info for granted.

I’m sure you will get help from those who know best

Good luck and good start %3chumbs%20Up

FYGAS

RESIST TO EXIST__ G 1
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 19:40
Hi,

indoor growing is best suited for the wintertime or cool cellars. As there is no winter and few cool cellars in the Philippines indoor growing does not make much sense there. If you persist then try to get a 150 Watts lamp with 3000K ceramic metal-halide bulb! Mount the lamp at the top of the cabinet, line the sides with tin foil, germinate seeds in pots on the bottom of the cabinet and ensure good ventilation!

Germinate enough of those local seeds so you can select the strongest growers and fastest, truest bloomers! Switch to a 11/13 photoperiod from beginning on!

Good luck,
Uli
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote bugrit2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 23:28
@FYGAS

thanks for the welcome its nice forum  =), im sure ill learn alot from you guys in my stay here

@Grasso

ah got it ,yup its very hot and humid summer here now ,i guess ill try the first ones ive just germinated,ill grow them outdoors at the moment, i plan to grow indoors because of space restrictions, (because the houses in where i  live at are close to each other the  neighbors might spot the  plant once it gets big /also the smell)

follow up questions:

1>my closet is already painted white ,do i still line it with foil ?

2> in "150 Watts lamp with 3000K ceramic metal-halide bulb" the 3000K would be specs for its brightness? is creamic metal halide different from metal halide or same?

3> in 11/13 , 11hours would be dark and 13 hours light?

yup ill be germinating as many seeds as i can,i can then practice on my germinating/seed planting,its enjoyable feeling for me once the seeds sprout =)

thanks for the input and tips guys

regards

rit
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 14:33
welcome bugrit,

grasso is right that you should grow outdoors where you are mate, but if this isnt possible then you will need to make sure you have the best extraction as possible, the main reason for extraction is to remove excess heat from the grow space.

flat white, or pure brilliant white emulsion has far better reflective qualities than kitchen foil, there have been many debates and arguements about using foil, and the general consenus is, foil is not good, mylar is the 1st choice, white paint the second choice.

as for lighting, do not use less than 250w for flowering, anything less will not produce top quality buds.
metal halide gives off blue/white spectrum for vegging, hps gives off red/orange spectrum for flowering, but as you are on a budget, i would suggest using a dual spectrum hps, as these give excellant result for both vegging and flowering.

forget the 11/13 lighting, either use 24/0 or 18/6 during vegging, and change to 12/12 for flowering, if you are growing a heavy sativa strain, then i would suggest flowering very early, almost immediatly after germination.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote bugrit2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 10:03
  thanks for the welcome and input bartmanuk ,ill keep that in mind

ive got another question ,about eliminating grow closet odors ,ive some difficulty finding carbon filters here ,i was wordering if packing charcoal in a screen mesh bag and putting it in the exhaust vent would be as effective incase?

tia

rit
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 17:54
check you PM i sent a link for ya

edit sorry its page 8 on the diary it shows how to make a carbon filter
smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote bugrit2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 11:24
hi alkoholics ,thanks for the tip ,ill be using that idea, can i place charcoal inside the mesh contraption ,instead or the carbon sheets ,i cant seem to find em locally , btw are those carbon sheets similar to the air intake filter material on cars?

regards

rit
alkoholics View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alkoholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 16:46
The sheets are from air purifiers im not sure what kind of store you have in the philippines i got it from home depot here in canada, if you have any hardware stores or somewhere that sells air purifier they should sell some replacement sheets, no they are a bit different they are designed to trap odor not to just pass air and clean dust, as for just useing charcoal i think it would work but youd have to really secure the parts as you will have way more weight then with just the sheets its nice and light in weight, maybe use wing nuts and bolts instead of tape to secure it.  
smoke or be smoked
cant always see through my cloud of smoke
 Post Reply Post Reply