Industrial Hemp > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Feminised Seeds showing early male signs??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
knobcheese View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feminised Seeds showing early male signs??
    Posted: 03 March 2009 at 19:55
Hello all

I need some help pretty quick!

I have 4 Feminized Silver Haze #9's 2 weeks into flowering and have noticed on the tallest plant a few signs of the dreaded male... I specifically bought fem seeds so i didn't have to worry about this and assumed that 100% of the plants would be female.  Am i being an idiot or can "feminized" seeds turn out to be male/hermaphrodites plants.  All conditions are good and fairly stable.  The seeds were purchased from sensi seeds so there is no way of a re-seller interfering with my purchase.

Would really appreciate any advice....

many thanks

Knob cheese
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 21:11
Very, very rarely allegedly fem seeds can produce a male, and some people say fems are more likely to produce hermies than regular seed. Certainly though, there is no reason that fem seeds can't end up as hermies although if your conditions are good this should be unlikely. Any chance you've missed a light leak somewhere?
Sensi's collection of Indoor Cannabis Seeds

No Turn Unstoned
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 23:09
easy nemo

defo no light leak...

temp: 21.c average. 15.c low 26.c peak.  Humidity's now around 55.

There isn't a huge amount of room, there's 4 plants, all about 60cm high, apart from the suspected male which is about 70cm, all in a floor space of 1m2 ... Could that cause a problem?

I'm using a 250 CFL???...

I'll put some pic's up tomorrow

I am very thankful for any help!!!

KC 
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 23:16
i would say your on your maximum for rh during flowering, not that that would cause hermies.
its advisable to not let there be a difference of more then 10c between the highest and lowest temps.

i wouldnt have thought it was the space, or the light. the problem you will find with the cfl, is the lack of light penetration to the lower half of the plants, especially as they get bigger.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 23:32
cheers bartman,

what height would you expect a silver haze #9 to get to, they are already 65cm and have been flowering for 3 weeks so have 60 or so days to go???

Am i able to "bend" or "train" the plant to utilise light at this stage, or would removing the fan leaves help.. If so which is the best way to remove them?

Another thing!!  which does cannabis prefer... Being watered on top of the soil or watered via the drip tray?? its pretty awkward getting the water can to the top of the soil!!!!

iM a BiT oF aN idiOt wHeN It ComES to grOwInG!!!!

cheers!!!

bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 00:22
to be honest they shouldnt stretch to much more now, i havent actually grown these myself, but my old man has, and he had loads of trouble, but he did veg her a bit to long. you may find they take closer to 12 weeks of 12/12 too.

its not advised to remove any healthy leaves, bending and traing will be a better option, and remember to support her properly, my old man bent his over, and didnt support her properly, and when he watered her the main stem nearly snapped from the weight of the water she took up.

i always water from the the top, i flower in 10l pots and they take 3 litres per watering, so the drip tray wouldnt hold it, i normally have about 10% run off when i water them, and they then suck that up within half hour. anything not sucked up within a couple of hours is emptied out. its more natural from the top too.
if you cant get a watering can in, use something different, i use empty 1.5l water bottles.

BM %3c3ceed%3c20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 17:05
cheers for the help bartman, think it is a hermie, there's now female pistols as well!!

I have put a small heater in the room to raise the temp a bit and lower the RH, which i noticed last night spiked at 70 and the temp was as low as 13.c...  Could this have caused the feminized seed to turn hermie?

What should i do now, obviously don't what to turn my ladies to the dark side so should i remove the hermie? now? or later?

Feed me your knowledge bartman!!

cheers KC
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 17:11

First one was a whopper!

Thats better!!!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 18:05
Hmmm, those are a bit more pod-like than anything I've seen on a Sensi fem thus far. I'm not positive from the pic, but it does look somewhat more staminate than pistillate.

Are there any other signs of sex elsewhere on the plant?

I must say that these pods look quite developed for only 2 weeks in flowering, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd actually started forming in the veg phase. How long did you vegetate this plant?

The location, appearance and maturity of these structures suggests that they're pre-flowers (often seen on older vegetating seed-plants, before they've ever been exposed to 12/12).

If these turn out to male/staminate pods, the fact that they may be pre-flowers is cause for some optimism, as pre-flowers are not a reliable guide to the ulitmate gender of the plant.

If you're fairly certain that these are staminate pods, you should probably remove them from the plant. Photosensitive flowers should just be appearing now, and I think it's  likely they'll be female.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 18:34
hello Ganja. Hope all is well....

There are definite female flowers as well, obvious pistils elsewhere on the plant, these "pods" are just growing on a couple of nodes near the top of the plant.

I think i did veg a little two long, about 4 weeks from dry seed, they started fairly slow then about a week before I put em on 12/12 they shot up to about  25 cm.  The suspect is now about 75cm tall where as the others are about 60/65cm which made me suspicious before the pods... Most males i've had previously have been the taller plants, but i've only grown outside before...

By the way, these f***ers grow!!!

Could temp/humidity effect the gender?

Or even over/under watering?

Thankyou for the advice ganja....
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 18:44
While we're on the topic of random occurrences thought you might like to see this as well...

I started this little beauty(!) by a window back in september last year and then put it in my conservatory throughout the winter, not paying it any attention, bearing in mind it gets below freezing in there!

Just before i started the Silver Haze i put the very sad looking Early girl (i think) in the grow room for about 1 week.  She instantly started flowering even though it was on 18/6, and grew cabbage like leaves!!!

She continues to bud in the conservatory in late winter early spring!! 

What could have caused the cabbage leaves?????

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 18:55
The cabbage leaves are fairly common in plants whose vegetation and flowering have become confused.

At a guess, there was just enough light in the conservatory during winter to keep her alive, and the low temps stopped her from growing much. This might have been an advantage, since there probably wasn't enough light for decent growth, so staying 'in stasis' was the best survival option.

Now she's been returned to bright lighting, she's taking the chance to reproduce, and to hell with the photoperiod.

The unusual leaves are caused by the conflict between chemicals and hormones that were telling the plant to grow slowly, and the new ones that are telling her to flower.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote knobcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 19:06
cannabis finds a way!

Just had a look and there are more signs of male than female (75/25%) on that silver haze.  Do you think i should carefully remove the pods and keep it in the grow room and wait a while?? is there any chance it could affect the others at this stage??...

one other quick one, have you ever flowered with a 250 red CFL. The plants are pretty big and i expect them to grow another 10-15cm?? will it be enough light?

once again much appreciated!

KC%3cug
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 19:16
Hey dude.

I've never used 250w cfls but first time round I tried to flower about 5 plants under 2 x 125w cfls, and found it was nowhere near enough light for effective budding. Knowing what I know now I would say a 250w cfl will do 2 medium sized plants okay, maybe 3 but any more than that and I would expect results to suffer very noticeably.

Also, with cfls you are likely to always get better results overall flowering the plants shorter rather than extending veg time - cfls have much less light penetration than hid bulbs, so good strong light will have great difficulty getting to the lower parts of the plant - meaning any extra time you spend growing extra height may be a waste of time.
Sensi's collection of Indoor Cannabis Seeds

No Turn Unstoned
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 20:01
Originally posted by knobcheese

cannabis finds a way!

Just had a look and there are more signs of male than female (75/25%) on that silver haze.  Do you think i should carefully remove the pods and keep it in the grow room and wait a while?? is there any chance it could affect the others at this stage??...

one other quick one, have you ever flowered with a 250 red CFL. The plants are pretty big and i expect them to grow another 10-15cm?? will it be enough light?

once again much appreciated!

KC%3c3cug

i would pick all the males off asap if i were you, then keep a very close eye on it, and if it produces any new ones, get rid of it. my 1st ever grow hermied, i picked them all off and none grew back %3cool
if you find any of the pods to be open, then they have dropped, or are in the process of dropping their love dust, but dont worry to much, as the female flowers wont be responsive to it yet, so you shouldnt get any seeds.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>