rockwool vs glasswool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rockwool vs glasswool
    Posted: 27 January 2009 at 13:04
Just started a new cultivation from seeds.  After 36 hours between 2 papers I did insert the seeds in a "cube" got from a slab of wool.  Well I believe it rockwool but it is, with big surprise glasswool !!!  Anyone experienced this kind of medium ????  It seems quite similar with the rockwool ones and hopefully the results will be the same but ????  
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 13:37
Glasswool is cheaper than rockwool, but the health hazards are higher. Don't over handle the cubes or handle dry cubes, the stuff I had lost fibres very easily and you really don't want to be breathing in glass fibres.

I've only used it the once, for some seedlings for someone else, but I did notice that the seedlings had a harder time pushing up through the fibres than they usually have with Grodan. I wouldn't use it again, made my skin itch terribly.

sara lou%3ceed%20leaf

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 14:31
Rockwool is a type of fibreglass, AFAIK.

You can get Rockwool brand roof insulation in thick slabs, and I think the main difference is that the insulation material is made up of coarser fibre.

Agricultural rockwool seems to be made up of finer fibres, which is easier on the skin when growers are handling the stuff - tearing it up, stuffing it into pots, etc - but may be more hazardous in terms of inhaling fibres.

Bottom line: always make sure rockwool is wet before handling it ('handling' includes removing it from the package it comes in), and think about using a dust mask if working with it for extended periods.
Rockwool should be handled with gloves, even when wet.

Also, when tearing up agri-rockwool, you'll sometimes come across hard, brittle 'blades' of glassy material that didn't expand to 'wool' during the manufacturing process. Tearing up a slab too vigorously runs the risk of slicing open one's hands, even through gloves, as the 'blades' can have very sharp edges.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 18:13
I called a company making both these materials.  Rockwoll is made out of some vulcan stones mixed with other stuff and is present in nature as well, fiberglass is made out of glass mixed with different stones, cooked @ 1500 degrees, then processed mechanically.  I think fiberglass is softer and maybe absorb more water than rockwool.  I will tell you something about as soon as the seeds sprout from the cubes (I hope !!!) 
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 18:27
Really? Very interesting. That would be why it's called 'rock' wool, I guess.

Did the manufacturer mention what kind of volcanic stones they use? Pumice, by any chance?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 00:50
Originally posted by Ganja

Really? Very interesting. That would be why it's called 'rock' wool, I guess.

Did the manufacturer mention what kind of volcanic stones they use? Pumice, by any chance?

basalt and chalk
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
 Post Reply Post Reply