Industrial Hemp > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Metal halide. Which Watt. is best for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
reverseninja View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote reverseninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal halide. Which Watt. is best for me?
    Posted: 05 November 2008 at 19:15
I wanted to start a veg. room in a closet. About 7.5 ft high 2.5 ft wide and 3.5ft long. What would be an appropriate Metal halide to use? 150w? 250w? I would like to get the most out of this little space but dont want to overdue it. Does anyone know a basic rule of thumb for space vs wattage on a Metal Halide?
4way72 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote 4way72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 04:06
I'd go 250w... But put a fan or two to move the air and cool down the temps.
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 12:05
metal halides only start from 400w, i think, but i would advise to use an hps instead of mh.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
figment View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote figment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 14:36
That's interesting BM, I thought MH was the natural top choice for veg?
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 14:45
mh is best for veg, but it then means that you have to change the ballast and lamp when you want to flower, unless you have seperate veg and flower rooms. the new hps lamps with the added blue spectrum for vegging, are more than adequate, and it means only buying one light and lamp.
if you do have seperate rooms, then i would advise you go the cfl root for vegging in such a small space, will keep it much cooler, uses less electricity, and you may not even need an extractor (this will be dependant on where in your house you have your cabinet).

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
reverseninja View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote reverseninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 15:42
No No I have a 600w HPS already.. what making that room orange :P and they sell MH all the way down to 150w..not sure if they go any lower but thats the lowest i found.. www.htgsupply.com

Bart, what cfl would be the best? Do you know a site that sells quality cfl's?
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 16:39
i cant find anything under 400w on that site you said about

but i have found these, which go down to 250w for the normal tubular type, anything lower is a double ended type, for a different fitting.

as for cfl's, the 1st 2 i bought were these eco lights from here

then i bought 2 of these
but i bought them off ebay for about £23 each, including postage, theyre not eco lights, but when i tested them with my light meter, there was no difference in the lumens produced.

BM %3c3ceed%3c20leaf
figment View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote figment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 22:54
BM, I think you can buy a ballast to do both MH and HPS:

Am I right in thinking you can put both lamps into the same light/reflector fitting?

bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 23:09
wow, great find man, thats as cheap as a normal ballast %3c3chumbs%3c20Up theyre normally double that, greens horticulture is now bookmarked.

cheers for the link dude.

yeh both lamps fit the same reflector and lamp holder.

back to your original question then, lol, i would go for the 250w mh or 2 x 125w cfl's.

BM %3c3ceed%3c20leaf
figment View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote figment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 23:24

No probs re: the link man, they do look good. Got my Biobizz from Greens a few months ago as they looked like the best price and gave very good service.

Cheers re: best vegging lighting. One more question: Do you need a different lamp holder/reflector for CFL and HID?

(Sorry reverseninja for thread hijack!!) %3ceed%20leaf
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 00:12
no, you can use the same lamp holder and reflector for the cfl too, just no ballast obviously.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
figment View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote figment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 01:18
Cool, cheers. Looks like being HPS and maybe MH too for me then, if it sems worth the extra investment for better veg.

figment. %3ceed%20leaf
4way72 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote 4way72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 21:21
Actually metal halides are found in many low wattages.  For example, I have a 100w mh system with a built in balast, the lower wattages usually have built in balasts.
 Post Reply Post Reply