THC vs nicotine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THC vs nicotine
    Posted: 13 June 2008 at 23:03
hi, ive been thinking about how harmful thc is compared to nicotene. now correct me if im wrong, but carsonagenic (dont know if thats spelt correctly) is something to do with how cancerous something is?? if so, ive always been led to believe that weed is 5 times more carsonagenic that tobacco, is this true? obviously ive heard of nicotene poisoning, but what actually causes it and how harmful is it?. ive never heard of thc poisoning, is there such a thing?
basically im trying to work out whether smoking neat weed is worse than smoking cigarettes, im sort of thinking about giving up joints, i gave up ciggies about 14 years ago, but obviously i still put baccy in my joints, so i may try smoking my buds in pipes only, would this be benificial to my health? and if so, by how much?
then that brings me to the subject of digestion, does eating it do any harm to your health, i know that inhaling any type of smoke into you body is harmful, but how much more harmful to you is weed smoke, compared to weed eating?

im sorry for asking so many questions in this ramble, its just that ive been thinking about it alot for the last year or so, but never bothered to look into it for fear finding loads of crap saying how bad weed is.

cheers BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 01:13
Aha monsieur, its a ramble your after is it? Righto...

I think it's carcinogenic, and yeah it means causes cancer.

As far as I know, the weed being worse thing is supposed to be to do with it burning at a higher temperature and thus doing more damage to the lungs. I don't know for sure if that is actually true (and even if it is does it refer to weed, hash or both?) but I've definitely heard it a few times.

As far as your case goes, I'd say if you like joints with no baccy or smoking pipes then give up the baccy - since even if the weed is worse for you than the baccy, if you roll pure weed joints or smoke pipes I assume you'll still use the same amount of weed in them - so overall you would be healthier because even if weed is "worse" than tobacco you'd still be better off than with both. Personally I think the tobacco is an integral part of the "cocktail" though.

Same goes for ingestion too for me, it's just not how I do it but if it gets your rocks off and your concerned about your health with smoking then go for it, Keith certainly sings its praises. Again this would have the obvious health benefit of taking smoke out of your lungs.

So basically on the cancer/lung diseases angle you'd be better not smoking tobacco with it, and even better if you were eating it instead (have a look at vaporizers too).

Apart from that there's all the other "health" issues associated with cannabis - from the obvious and undeniable short term memory loss to the disputed mental illness trigger factor. As far as I know no method of taking cannabis is any better or worse than another for these, so if you want to avoid any chance of these potential side effects (some of which may or may not even exist) then you have to not take cannabis, or moderate your intake as much as possible. Unfortunately it's kinda hard to pick through any information on these risks and how great (or not) they are as any real info is burried in propaganda from both sides of the argument.

I guess that's just the classic choice though, nothing that's as enjoyable as weed can possibly be entirely good for you, but without things that are enjoyable is there any point in eternal health?
Sensi's collection of Indoor Cannabis Seeds

No Turn Unstoned
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 07:28

ive heard this before and i think it depends on how you smoke your pot.

the reasons why weed is supposedly considered more harmful than tobacco

-weed is usually smoked without a filter.
-you hold in the smoke a lot longer than cigarette smoke.

I dont think smoking weed produces more carbon monoxide and tar than cigarettes. I dont have those numbers, but i doubt it.

vaporizers are a good healthy alternative
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 16:19
hi nemo,
i couldnt agree more about the baccy being an integral part of the cocktail, and if i did cut it out, im quite sure i would put more weed in to substitute the missing baccy, but the joint would probably last longer so then i would probably smoke less joints, on the other hand if i smoked it in a pipe i would probably only put in it what i put in spliff now, so i dont think i have an issue with 'the smoking more or less' side of it, its just the 'whats more harmful to smoke' side of it.

as for the other 'health' issues you mention, i quite like the short term memory loss Evil%20Smile, it comes in handy sometimes, and i dont believe there is any link between mental illness and cannabis, thats all a load of bollocks in my opinion, most of my mates and associates smoke weed and have done for as long as i have, and i dont know anyone who suffers with mental illness, the only link there is, is some mentally ill patients happen to smoke weed too.
it so true about enjoyable things not being good for you, i only drink occasionally so the herb is my only real vice, and im not prepared to give it up, i like it to much maan lol so%20high.
im in no way after eternal health, or anything near it, you just start having a different outlook on life as you get older and start having kids and stuff, makes you not wanna  go before your time, ive always had the thought that dieing, is the only guarantee in life, but after being diagnosed with testicular cancer at the start of last year, i now have the thought of not wanting to go yet, especially after seeing my 3rd kid on a 4d ultrasound scan a couple of days ago, its got me thinking it even more.

hey connery, as i dont actually smoke ciggies, the whole having a filter in it doesnt come into it for me, its more about the actual baccy compared to weed.
as nemo mentioned too, the vapouriser could be an option, ive not had an in depth look at these, are they expensive? and is it true they are a right bastard to keep clean?

cheers BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 02:05
Hey dude, sounds to me like you need to pick between more health or more happiness - if you're worried about the health then start eating the weed as that's pretty much guaranteed your healthiest way of getting it, but if the enjoyment of the activity is the key then keep on smoking with tobacco... It's a hard one mate, I know that every time the C word enters your life it makes you think twice about lot of things. Don;t relly get the kids angle myself (dont have and don't want) but I can see how that would shift your thinking too, I guess I'm still more of the "smoking takes years of your life? well they're the wheelchair kidney dialysis years anyway, you can keep 'em" school of thought, but im not in your situation. As I say, if you don;t wanna give it up completely but want to minimise any possible health implications then ingestion has to be your way forward.

Re vaporizers, dunno about the cleaning but expenive - definitely. Looked at getting one for my old man last christmas but the cost was totally prohibitive. Mind you I am a tight barsteward so what I call expensive you might not!

Re mental illness - my stance exactly. The used to think that wanking caused madness because all the guys in the asylums wanked a lot - but it didn't occur to them that maybe they were wanking all the time 'cos they were mentally ill and it was about their only available source of pleasure... All that's been proved so far (as far as I know) is a linkage between mentally ill people and cannabis users, but a linkage doesn't equal cause and effect, either way round. That's before I even get into the fact that many people with mental illnesses are actually self medicating their symptoms with cannabis, rather than cannabis causing theitr illness.
Sensi's collection of Indoor Cannabis Seeds

No Turn Unstoned
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 10:27
There are AMAZING links between the anti-masturbation movement of the early 20th Century and the current anti cannabis movement.

Not only were there concerned parents' leagues yelling about the dangers, plus serious (ahem) scholarly works and (cough) scientific studies on the concrete link between masturbation and mental illness, blindness, cretinism and so on, but 'the children' were one of the major casualties, just as in the War On Drugs.
Elaborate strait-jackets and restraints were sold for keeping kids bound in bed so their hands couldn't go a'wandering.
Female genital mutilation was performed in the Twentieth Century in all the most 'civilised' western countries, in order to combat the evils of masturbation.

In the US, the vast majority of boys are still circumcised, ostensibly for reasons of hygiene, but arguably as a left-over from the War On Wanking. Simply put, having no foreskin  makes it harder for males to masturbate (so I'm told...)

Kellog (founder of the cornflake company) was a nutcase in this regard. See The Road to Wellville  for a humorous treatment of this not-so-funny mania.

Basically, the hysteria over masturbation and the need to control it was virtually the same as the one over cannabis - a moral issue that people were trained to react negatively towards.
The desire to prohibit or control a perfectly normal act gave rise to the most ridiculous and atrocious over-reactions, and there was a great deal of junk science put about to justify the moral panic with enough technical jargon to convince people who were already sure that masturbation/cannabis was an evil thing.

I hope we can one day laugh at the cannabis prohibition dinosaurs the same was we can laugh at the League Against Onanism. Still, if you consider all the (mostly young) people that suffered under that craze to 'Protect the Children', the millions more who suffered as a result of the war on weed may not ever be too  funny.

About the link between cannabis tar and lung cancer.

The most recent study was b the same doctor/research body  who'd claimed (pure) cannabis joints contained 50-200% more tar (defined as 'carcinogenic tar' in most news reports at the time).

The media ran with this finding for a few years, until the doctor in question released his full study and conclusions (2006 or 2005), where he stated that, according to years of data collection, pure cannabis smoking does not contribute to lung cancer.

Furthermore, there was a suggestion that cannabis smoking may actually reduce the risk of lung cancer by encouraging cells to age and die at their correct rate (since cancer is a result of cells not dying and 'going rogue').

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 23:08
i had heard people used to think wanking was linked to mental illness, but i never knew there was an anti-masturbation movement, thats fecking unreal, how stupid are some people? lol
great info on the lung cancer and cannabis tar ganja Big%20smile, really given me something to think about, nice one Thumbs%20Up
wont have to go down the ingestion route then, neat weed joints or pipes? mmm, decisions, decisions.

BM weed%20leaf
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 11:33
ive been looking into the vapouriser side of things, and have found you can spend anything up to a few hundred pounds for a big electric thing for indoors only, but ive also been quite interested in the pocket vapourisers, heres the 2 i like, just wondered if anyone has any experience with these or any other types.

cheers BM weed%20leaf
podder View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 13:16
Hi Bartmunk, if you are considering a vapouriser I heartily recomend them.  If go to ebay and go to the shop effordply you will find a wicked little vapouriser for about 40 pounds.  Ive got one and it works a treat, its affordable and cool looking to. podder 
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 22:06
cheers podder,
ill have a look at those too mate Cool

BM weed%20leaf
 Post Reply Post Reply