Northern Lights #5 X Haze Feminized - Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazycrazy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lazycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Lights #5 X Haze Feminized - Need Advice
    Posted: 05 August 2013 at 19:06
Hello all

I've been wanting to grow Northern Lights #5 X Haze feminized for some time now but I've been postponing it until I had enough growing experience, which I believe I now have after 7-8 grows, all of which were with seeds from sensi.

However, even though I feel confident I can do well, I've never grown a sativa leaning plant before, and I find myself somewhat at a loss as to how I need to change my grow technique to accommodate for the supposedly insane height gain of these plants.

I'll be using a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 grow tent, a 600w hps and biobizz nutes and soil.

For my last grow I managed to get my biggest yield yet with 9 white label pure power plant feminised which I topped twice and LST'ed a lot, which resulted in 100+ tops in a completely even and full canopy. I started them in 0.5L cups, repotted to 4L pots and finally to 11L pots, during a veg time of 39 days.

I think however, that 39 days veg time for NL#5 x Haze is out of the question, they will grow too big , which means that there's no way to repot them in 3 stages like I'm used to, which also means that topping twice is no good either cause there won't be enough veg time for them to get over the stress and grow the necessary tops and offshoots.

My goal is to grow enough plants in as big pots as possible, with as many tops as possible in order to cover all of my available space, while at the same time not exceeding 0.8m - 1m of height, and in as little time as possible.

How do you suggest I cound achive that? Can I repot them during flowering, if yes then things are getting a lot simpler. Do they respond well to topping? should I top them twice? How many plants should I grow?

Any suggestions are welcome.
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2013 at 10:59
in my opinion i would say start soon at 12/12 the plants keep growing in the flowertime, your height is low. you can repot them, but at the day of repotting give less light for the shock to recover.for the rest it is possible but look out with repotting that there will be no soil in the buds, cover the plant with a bag if repotting in flowertime. You can bend the plant start with that early too. height will be the problem for you, start flowering fast. a plant 0f 20 cm can grow to 1.50 mtr.Bending works better than pruning, if you prune, do it early too.
succes with your sativa grow!
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 12:32
its not quite that bad. you sound like you have plenty of experience.
Sativas do stretch but LST, topping and fimming will help control.

Growing from seeds will always give you a variety of phenotypes, some will stretch more and some less...making it a hassle to control.

What you should do, and this is the best way to get max yield and control height, is a SOG grow. It takes a bit of time to setup and run but its well worth it.

Choose 2-4 plants as mother plants, take 6inch clones and flower. research lollipoping.
After your first harvest, youll know how much a strain will stretch and how the smoke is....get rid of the weaker pheno moms and clone a couple of new moms from your stronger more desirable moms.

This requires a bit more work, a cloner, a separate mom cabinet and lots of small 6inch pots. you can fit 4 clones per sqft (in 1 gallon pots) and theoretically have 64 clones in a 4ft x 4ft space, all with one main cola. And if you flower clones at 6 inches, the max height youll ever see is 2-3x which is 18 to 24 inches max.

hope this helps
l0ld4ve View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote l0ld4ve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 01:06
Originally posted by blackmore

Sativas do stretch but LST, topping and fimming will help control.
research lollipoping.

Yes.
Schwarzenegger View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Schwarzenegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 09:31
Dont underestimate the sativa side of its heirloom.
The Northernlight part doesnt show much reduction of stretch , merely a "filling up"of the buds, and a more christmas-tree shaped plant versus the lanky haze it originates from too.

Just like martini said , bendig is a way to reduce the height.
toppin/fimming wont reduce the height much, and lollypopping is especially dangerous to healthy yield with this plant IMHO.

flower in the 4 liter pots, using between 12 and 16 plants ,and forget using too big of a container. if you do a good job bending , you end up with 4 or 5 main colas each plant.
so 48 to 80 colas.
that is the absolute maximum in my humble opinion

It will only produce more stem, not more buds  IMHO.
NLxHaze is a particularly nasty plant for small growrooms.
best of luck
"New shit has come to light, man" -the big Lebowski
billy bong View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote billy bong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 10:51
have you any pictures of this set up id really like to see. im using same tent and 4 is the max id have in there.. with that i dont usually have any room lol :) ??
Schwarzenegger View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Schwarzenegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 12:58
root the clones/ seedlings, start bending after it's 4rd /5th internode, place in 4 litre containers, start 12/12/ cycle, and bend every week once or twice untill 5th week of flowering.
Altogether you're looking at a 12 week cycle : 2 weeks of vegging , and 10 weeks of flowering (12/12)
giver or take a few days , depending on vegging speed.
you can accomodate a fair amount if done that way, up to 16 , without plants hindring each other
"New shit has come to light, man" -the big Lebowski
 Post Reply Post Reply