Industrial Hemp > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains > Advice on Choosing a Strain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

First timer (Advice Appreciated)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VicTeam View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VicTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First timer (Advice Appreciated)
    Posted: 08 March 2008 at 23:31
Hey, I've been smoking for awhile and am moving into a place in a few months which will now make it possible to grow. My buddy is wishing to do the same so we are looking to have 2 different strains growing.

I'm curious as to what your advice would be to what strain to select, we want to grow one famous (Jack herar, Northern Lights #5 x Haze, etc.) and another also famous or just damn good :P.

Place: In a closet or small room likely.
Equipment: Unsure but not looking to spend TONS of money (excpet willing to pay for ton notch seeds)

Time: All the time in the world haha

Also planning to read a few growing guides to become acquainted with techniques prior to starting so I will be a beginner but hoping to have a solid understanding.

Thanks a lot!
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 01:57
i'd recomend skunk#1 and northern lights and read any and every book you can get your hands on that was writen by ed rosenthal and mel frank and if you interested in breeding later down the road evan if just so you don't have to buy seeds if you don't want to you must read robert connell clarks book. but if you only have enough money for 3 books these here in my opion should be in every growers library Marijuana Grower's Handbook by ed rosenthal then Marijuana Grower's Guide - by mel frank and finaly Marijuana Botany by robert conell clark whith just these 3 books you should be able to grow with evan the best growers
help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
kalymero View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote kalymero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 10:23
Hello, I'd like to ask a stupid question... Embarrassed. I'd like to grow indoor (feminized - that's mostly the case, I hate those good for nothing males) seeds outside... at 45 latitude. I'm hoping that somedy tried  it before... with good results. I have ordered blueberry, Northern lights, and  x haze.  Is it worthy or should I just cope with males and order some outdoors seeds? Hope that somebody anwsers me...Embarrassed

Either way, have a good yield.Clown
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 21:41
hi victeam,
if you only want to buy one book mate then indoor marijuana horticulture by jorge cervantes is a top buy, with this book ive found i havent needed to buy any other book.not%20smoking

BM weed%20leaf
recycler View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote recycler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 17:21
Victeam, i agree with bartmanuk with the indoor medical maijuana horticulture. Its the best i read and the only one i've kept around.

as for seeds for a first grow get something that is skunk heavy and indica leaning. My personal favorite that i grow indoors is Jack Flash it gets a little tall but is one of the finest smokes around. for something a little shorter skunk #1 or Shiva shanti have been easy to grow in my experiance.

if your in BC just head down to vancouver or victoria and visit some of the seed banks in person. the staff are usually friendly and will typically help with your choices. or if you have the cash a few days in a-dam and you can see the plants growing and get an education (and even pick up some seeds there). if you do decided to goto a seedbank make sure you get seeds in original packaging.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 17:44
If you're in Canada, you should be able to buy some seeds direct from a reseller, though it may require a road trip. Probably better than having them sent into the country from overseas.

Top notch Sativa/famous strain: Jack Herer, Jack Flash, Marley's Collie, Mother's Finest

Top notch Indica: Super Skunk, Maple Leaf Indica, Hindu Kush, Shiva Skunk, American dream, Afghani #1

Originally posted by kalymero

Hello, I'd like to ask a stupid question... Embarrassed. I'd like to grow indoor (feminized - that's mostly the case, I hate those good for nothing males) seeds outside... at 45 latitude.

We don't recommend feminised seeds for outdoor growing in cooler climates, but at 45*N you're getting into the sunny zone.

The main reason fems aren't recommended for outdoor is that conditions can be more variable and unpredictable, which can lead to stress, which might lead to hermaphrodites.
Having said that, I've seen most of the WL strains growing in a wide range of conditions, stressed and healthy, and I haven't seen a male or a hermie.

We also don't recommend fems as mother plants, but we made a mother and several generations of cuts from a WL fem plant, with no unusual results.

This suggests that WL (and the Sensi) fems, like natural females, are not prone to turn hermaphrodite, even in stressful circumstances.

So, I reckon those fem varieties could do well outdoors in your location.
Maybe try half the seeds and save the other half in case you'd rather have some indoors in the future.
As you're probably aware, it's getting too late to start plants for the 2008 outdoor growing season (unless you're actually at 45*S)

Originally posted by bartmanuk

if you only want to buy one book mate then indoor marijuana horticulture by jorge cervantes is a top buy,

I'll give a third vote for IMH being the best single grow book currently in print.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 18:36
Oh please please let me pick your two strains. I have the perfect two. The stupendous  sativa, and the illustrious indica.

They are my two choices if i had the cash to spend right now. For your sativa loving days, northern lights#5 x haze, and for the relaxing indica nights, the strain, the legend, the lady who brings every man to his kness. Black Domina!!!!

Black Domina is mint. My all time fav grown and smoked. It might have been sold under a different name, but it's heritage was clear, a 1998 selfed black domina. Finest dam pot i've come across, save a couple of awesomely grown hydro strains.
 Post Reply Post Reply