hindu kush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
far out crops View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote far out crops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hindu kush
    Posted: 18 March 2010 at 02:16
well ganja thanks for the response. that discussion at mr. nice was what made me remember this thread. it seems like with many things about cannabis genetics, the ortega is a bit of a mystery. what is with this jesse character anyway? he seems to make enemies wherever he goes!

i'm buying some new seeds this year, maybe i'll finally pick up the Maple Leaf Indica and see what the fuss is all about.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 12:53
It was only recently that I first saw a complete digital copy of the 1990 TSB catalogue, including page 16, which actually mentions 'Maple Leaf' Wilson in the entry for 'Original Afghan Mix'.

There's a a scanned copy of the 1990 catalogue floating around the web, but it's missing a few pages. The version I found actually had the missing pages transcribed as word documents, so I finally got to read some TSB information I'd never seen before (p16 also offers NL#1 and NL#2 f3 hybrids!).

I'm still not 100% sure that Maple Leaf Indica comes directly (or solely)  from ML Wilson's stock. I have quite a strong suspicion that Nevil's famous seed-saving trip to Mazar-I-Sharif during the early part of the Soviet invasion provided at least one of the parents for MLI. It could be a mix of Wilson's and Nevil's, but Ben was also in Afghanistan collecting seeds in the late 1970s and 1980s.

far out crops - I've wondered many times about origins and details concerning Ortega.

I have to put my hands up and say I know very little about this strain, apart from the fact that it's an Afghani, came to Holland either from Canada or the NW coast of the USA (possibly even both...) and is used in a few high-powered Afghani hybrids from Sensi.

Beyond this, I'm still trying to find out about Ortega and trace the history of the many, many Afghani strains that contibuted genes to the modern hybrids.

I have been reading posts by someone called jim dankness the MNS forum. He has brought together a lot of info about Ortega, so you might learn more by reading his posts.

The posts are also worth reading for JessE/outlawgrower's attempts to sound knowledgable on the subject of Ortega (inevitable FAIL).
Jim shows JessE more patience than I could muster...
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote far out crops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 02:14
big bump on this thread.

hey ganja, tell us what you know about the origins of Ortega Indica?

we know the Ortega's a MIGHTY breeding partner for Sensi, being used in Black Dom, First Lady, Marley's Collie and perhaps others....

but she's mostly shrouded in mystery, probably due to when she was first grown in NL (right at the demise of the original Seed Bank).

would love to hear more of the story, if you know anything!

Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 17:26
Hmm,interesting.
Green-Thumb Growing
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote far out crops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 07:11
couldn't find the actual catalog, but found this reference elsewhere online:

The "Maple Leaf Wilson" reference is from the 1989 catalog page 8 listed under "Original Afghan Mix" 50 seeds $150

Original Afghan Mix
This seed line comes directly from the collection of the late "Maple Leaf" Wilson, reputedly one of the first collectors of true Afghan seeds. He was called "Maple Leaf" because he grew some of the first indicas that had been seen in America, and their broad leaves could only be compared to maple leaves. Our Afghan Mix was propagated from his original stock, completely unselected, therefore possesing all the variety that existed in the original gene pool. Due to extreme variation that exists between the seedlings, this mix is recommended for serious breeders and collectors only. Sold in a special breeders pack of 50 seeds.

edited to add: if memory serves, Wilson was also responsible for the "Oakland Indica" (M-14) that was sold by the SSSC...
sir promixalot View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sir promixalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 22:10
I too remember the listing for a Sensi/Seed bank offering called "Mixed Maple leaf indicas(?)" the description claimed that the seeds were collected in North America from Mr Wilson. The description also stated that the varieties within the mix had never been hybridized and thus many pure land race indicas could potentialy be discovered. "Maple Leaf Wilson" was reported to have been an original hashish trail hippie that collected indica seeds. When grown in CA, they were diff than the sativas people were working with, and hence the name Maple Leaf. I only remember seeing this listing once, I believe it was a limited offering.
Fuzzy Donlop View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Fuzzy Donlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 01:04
hi ganja, ml wilson apparently was one of the first westeners to bring afghani genetics back to his homeland of canada.'hence his name' i dont know if these genes were from mazar e sharif. i think ml is responsible for the old ortega lines of afghan that nevil sourced from his travells in cali and the north west.. J.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 12:06
I'm curious about ML Wilson, as I'd not heard of him before.

In the material you read, did it refer to the man and mention that there was a strain of his called ML Indica?

If so, do you know if it was meant to be an Afghani strain or, more specifically, from Mazar-i-Sharif?
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Fuzzy Donlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 21:36
hi ganja, i have read it somwhere or i would not mention it, ive no personal experiance with maple leaf or maple leaf wilson.. i have utmost respect for sensi genetics right from when sensi first started selling seed. regards J.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 12:43
I remember looking into this when 'Maple Leaf' Wilson was first mentioned (by you, I think, jingles).

As far as I can tell, the name is just a coincidence, which is quite understandable, considering that super-wide bladed Indica leaves can look a lot like maple leaves.

I can find no reference to Wilson in any of the archives, and in the first Seed Bank catalogue (1985) Neville makes reference to having collected these seeds himself from Afghani cannabis professionals in Mazar-i-Sharif.

EDIT 2010: Maple Leaf Wilson is mentioned on a 'lost' page of the 1990 TSB catalogue.
Two pages are missing from all the scans of the 1990 cat I've seen, but I recently found the missing pages transcribed as word docs.

EDIT 2010: Sensi's Maple Leaf Indica may or may not be related to ML Wilson.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Fuzzy Donlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 01:02
Originally posted by Solidopc

I'm dying to try Maple Leaf Indica. But i definatly want to keep a mother plant of that, so i'm not getting it until ive a few more grows under my belt.

I'm trying California Indica next, maybe take a look at that also.

How did the Black Domina  and Afgani#1 go for you? I've heard Black Domina is a killer smoke, and pretty much the same about Afgani. What are your opinions on potency, ease of grow, yield of thise two dude?

hi friend, i fancy the maple myself but i read its got the 18.5 skunk hybrid crossed into the original genetics so she's not pure wilson genitics anymore.the black domina is a very powerfull smoke, nothing will touch you if you smoke bd, the afghani is much milder but has a beutifull taste and flavour that keeps you smoking all night. both the bd and ghani are quite variable in growth but this is good to select your ideal parent plant. i would reccomend the bd over the ghani.. J..
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 00:40
I'm dying to try Maple Leaf Indica. But i definatly want to keep a mother plant of that, so i'm not getting it until ive a few more grows under my belt.

I'm trying California Indica next, maybe take a look at that also. If i was gonna go crazy, i'd like the Hash Plant or even the G13xHash Plant. Bit expensive for me though. And there's allways good old Northern Lights, First Lady, Hawaiain Indica. Quite a few actually.

How did the Black Domina  and Afgani#1 go for you? I've heard Black Domina is a killer smoke, and pretty much the same about Afgani. What are your opinions on potency, ease of grow, yield of thise two dude?
Green-Thumb Growing
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Fuzzy Donlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 00:37
hi all, looking for recent pics and info regarding this strain. she's been on my wanted list for years and after growing hazes for the last decade nearly i fancy a pure indica. ive tried the black domina and the afghan#1,does sensi offer any other pure indicas..
 Post Reply Post Reply