advice on outdoor growing in ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 21:32

Early Girl and Early Pearl should definitely be finished by the start of October at the very latest. Do you grow your plants in the countryside - ie away from streetlights, house lights, etc. Light pollution is the main thing that would slow down flowering. You also need to keep them stress-free during the entire flowering period, which can be difficult in the crappy Irish climate.

There is one way to make them flower earlier. If you can, try to cover them up for 72 hours straight around mid-July. I've never done it, but I've heard this can trigger the plant into flowering. Use a bin bag or a large barrel or something like that. They should continue the transformation into flowering after you take the covers off because the daylight hours will be declining at that time of year. One thing you have to make sure is that there is still some kind of air flow around the plants, or you could actually harm them.

The other option is to grow an auto-flowering plant like Lowryder 2 or Ruderalis Indica. Plant the seeds at the start of June and the ladies should be finished flowering in 12 weeks or so. June, July and August are the best months for auto-flowering plants because it's when they get the most sunlight.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 22:29
I certainly agree with starting the auto flowerers in june, I brought 10 lowryders in the spring and started germinating them thru till may and the last plant i grew was miles better than the plants i started in march and april
get that sun on it :-)
Culchie View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Culchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2007 at 00:31

Thanks Mick. I grow my plants  in  the country, in a large disused garden that was , years ago, used for growing vegetables that the family used adjacent to the family house ( my auld fella is cool, knows all about it, and if there is a problem , I will take the heat) .It became overgrown by briars and thistles over time, but I reclaimed a small, discreet, patch of it in the name of the fine herb, and the state of overgownness has helped my noble cause and ( I sincerley hope for the sake of my possible criminal record  in the face of repressive legislaton dictated by accepted US government dogma, unquestioningly adopted by their European lapdog lackies) keep it secret.

By the way Mick, where are you from? You have an experineced voice when it comes to growing outdoors in Ireland/UK ( don't say British Isles because it is offensive to us, but I'm sure you wouldn't anyway). I had an outstanding crop in 2003, close to commercial quality, but maybe that had something to do with the outstanding weather in summer 2003. Likelihood is not so good for 2007 . In 2004 and 2005 I had middling crops baiscally hampered by weather ( not as bad this "summer", and awful mould-inducing aututmns that happened whwn unfortunatley I was away , because of work, during the harvest) .Out of the country in 2006 so nothing. I know so much is dependant on weather, but I'd love to get back to the 2003 vintage. Any tips along the way will be greatly appreciated.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2007 at 01:58
Hi Culchie, in case you haven't guessed already, I live in Ireland.

To be honest, I have no experience growing weed outdoors, but i know the cannabis plant like the back of my hand. You learn a lot from f**king up and figuring out where you went wrong. It also helps if you've grown other plants because the basic principles of growing are the same for all plants.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments about the weather. If we get a really good summer and autumn, a good cannabis crop is possible,  but realistically, good weather is the exception rather than the rule. You need to have a bit of know-how about growing plants and how to keep them healthy. Growing good cannabis is like growing prize-winning flowers. Anyone can grow an unhealthy plant with a few skimpy buds, but the aim is to grow a strong plant with lots and lots of big fat buds.

Cannabis grows well outdoors in good climates and the outdoor strains that Sensi sells are designed to grow in northern Europe. But I'm sure you realise that Ireland does not have the same climate as the area commonly known as northern Europe (ie Holland, Germany, France, etc.) We're sitting right out on the Atlantic, with a maritime climate controlled by the Gulf Stream. As a result, we get lots of rain, fairly high humidity and falling temperatures in the autumn, which is a recipe for bud mould.

If you want a good tip, get a HPS light and grow your weed indoors. You can harvest 4-6 crops per year and don't have to worry about the weather. Also, the quality of the bud will always be better than anything grown outdoors in Ireland.

If you're not interested in an indoor set up, get a polytunnel or a greenhouse. Cannabis really needs to be protected from the shitty Irish climate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123