Weed and Pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dalimist View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dalimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weed and Pregnancy
    Posted: 08 July 2004 at 12:23

HI,

I have a question. To my opinion smoking (tobacco), weed and or drinking alcohol or too much coffee can effect the pregnancy. However, I really do not like all the pills the doctors are so eager to pre scribe.

Am I wrong to tell my wife she should smoke a joint if she is in pain. Or maybe even just one hit from the pipe.

What harm could it do in comparison with a jam packed chemical pil?

Thank you,

"3 is the magic number. Yes it is!" #SelfHemployed
4:20 View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote 4:20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 14:58

Hi Dalimist

I have a question. To my opinion smoking (tobacco), weed and or drinking alcohol or too much coffee can effect the pregnancy. However, I really do not like all the pills the doctors are so eager to pre scribe. u right about this.

Am I wrong to tell my wife she should smoke a joint if she is in pain. Or maybe even just one hit from the pipe. u wrong about this one, maybe vapourising could be the answer, but in my opinion a good massage if she's in pain will be the best.

think about the baby!

i'm a daddy of two beautifful children (5 and 3 years old) and during my wifes pregnacy i'was glad that she diceded to stop smoking (tabacco and pot) straight away. i've always supported her on that. meanwhile 5 years later i still don't smoke inside the house ( i go to the balkony) and she once in a while smoke some  hash with me.

anything else just get in contact with me.

grettings to ya and to ya wife

P.S. who the f**k am i to tell what to do?

this is just an opinion!

all i need, it's a nice woman and a bag full of weed.
seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 20:59

Hi there, I agree.

I can say though that well smoking hash or properly cured weed will still be better than tobacco if not overdone, like tobacco or Cheech and Chong.

Not everybody can afford a good vaporizer yet. But there are some good ones available. Vaporizing is the way what I'm concerned.

Alan Dronkers View Drop Down
Sensi Connoisseurs
Sensi Connoisseurs
hemp expert and cannabis enthusiast

Quote Alan Dronkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 09:46

DEA Judge Francis Young already stated in 1988 after a very extensive courtcase on medical marihuana (Cannabis) that: 'Cannabis is one of the safest therapeutic substances known to man'

Especially if we know how not toxic Cannabis is. In the same court case papers it is explained that at this time it was common to compare substances toxicy by if 50% of the test animals die (the LD 50 ratio) This ratio for asperine is 20 which means that ifg you take 20 times the maximum dossage then there is chance to die (50% of the test animals do) and at least there will be severe damage to your body (organs and so).

Cannabis is less toxic then many medicines and foods we consume (think about the toxicy of (especially raw) potatoes) is what this judge stated after being presented with the evidence concerning Cannabis.

It was tried to determine the LD 50 ratio for Cannabis but they failed to do so because of the low toxicy the testanimals did not die. Then it was estimated that the LD 50 must be somewhere between 20.000 to 40.000

I am afather and have children too, but have no fear about them getting into contact with Cannabis because I know these facts and if they ever need it as medicine then better Cannabis because our doctor would not be able to prescribe any other medicine to them that is less toxic then Cannabis

Greetings

Alan

TopShotter View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote TopShotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2004 at 22:09

Not wanting to sound like the worse mother in the world, but iv smoked weed through all 5 of my pregnancies, jus a couple of joints in the evening to chill out. I think light use wouldn't have much effect on the baby cos its still got the protection of the placenta. A little bit of wot u fancy does u gud!!!     ps all my babies weighed between 8 and 9 pounds!!

Always and forever red
seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 11:13
Originally posted by TopShotter

A little bit of wot u fancy does u gud!!!

I full agree! Better for your complete state of mind/ body. Be content!

phenom View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 19:14

Hey,

I just got married on saturday ( October 1st ) and my wife is now about 2 months pregnant... 3 months ago she had a miscarriage with another baby...

We both smoke ( cigs and weed ) daily - id say she intakes about... 2 grams a day roughly, with some days off... same as myself but im not pregnant ! :)

Anyways, I've always said weed is safe thats why I allow it... but I'd also like to find some research on it, proving that theres no negative affects on a fetus... if someone could pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee tell me where it is I'd love you...

I mean hell... the indians smoked non stop, so did the hippies... i dont see a handicap boom in the early 80's :)

Hit me up with some info thanks!

WeedDealer View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote WeedDealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 23:07

You seem to take things a little lightly, what kind of medicine are we talking about.

And .. No, its not recomended to smoke anything when pregnant.

You know what ...
hashtoker420 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote hashtoker420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 00:55
loving itI wish my mom smoked pot with me ....exlamationnot smokingmmmm

although i wouldnt want my gf to smoke when shes pregnant  ill do all tha smokin for herso high
SmOke WEEd everyDay
Dr. Ohm View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Dr. Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 20:53
namaste - to anyone reading this older thread

i have medical training in palliative care/oncology & feel obligated to just post given the seriousness/consequences of the topic (& the fact that some people posting don't seem to take this topic seriously - you should! )

in the thread too many ambiguous terms are being used like "toxic" - a vague word w/lots of differing connotations like "unnatural"

let's get specific & separate in your mind 2 effects:

1)effects of specific active cannabinoids [at least 60, a number i am familiar with, perhaps 70? - some people reported that here but i'm still looking for that article - and that number is only for now, not end of story for sure - just tells us that this is much more complex than our level of understanding!]

2)the effects of inhaling combustible material

- regarding testing the effects of so many active compounds, which our guru Alan was more refering too [much pranams to you my friend] -

in my opinion definitely not even close to being a properly explored topic - we have not reached a good scientific climate where studies are being supported/designed to properly explore the topic (if it even can be fully explored, the debate about effects of caffeine on fetus neurologic development is still very active - simply because even subtle effects may have long-term repercussion & it's very difficult to evaluate objectively - so we just play it safe!)

- so you have to decide costs/benefits & if you are willing to take the risks (my leanings to be honest are like those of Alan - at least i hope - but friends the consequences can be severe in regards to fetal development/pregnancy if we are incorrect - hey i love bud, but hey its a human life that's in your responsibilty)

- regarding the negative effects of combustion - absolutely avoid, no debates - no doubts, well-established

if you choose to use cannabis in pregnancy, my recommended post is below regarding vaporisation (& removing combustion)

peace everyone

Om Namah Shivaya

Originally posted by 4:20

Hi Dalimist

I have a question. To my opinion smoking (tobacco), weed and or drinking alcohol or too much coffee can effect the pregnancy. However, I really do not like all the pills the doctors are so eager to pre scribe. u right about this.

Am I wrong to tell my wife she should smoke a joint if she is in pain. Or maybe even just one hit from the pipe. u wrong about this one, maybe vapourising could be the answer, but in my opinion a good massage if she's in pain will be the best.

think about the baby!

i'm a daddy of two beautifful children (5 and 3 years old) and during my wifes pregnacy i'was glad that she diceded to stop smoking (tabacco and pot) straight away. i've always supported her on that. meanwhile 5 years later i still don't smoke inside the house ( i go to the balkony) and she once in a while smoke some  hash with me.

anything else just get in contact with me.

grettings to ya and to ya wife

P.S. who the f**k am i to tell what to do?

this is just an opinion!

effects of combustion

-idd View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote -idd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 11:46
I don't think that THC is a bad thing for the pregnancy.

In Human Development, by Drs. Kail & Cavenaugh (Wadsworth 2004), they cite a study that showed  children of women who smoke pot to have a Higher IQ.  This is not known to be from the THC or the fact that pot-smoking mothers are more involved with their children.

Vaporizing is preferable.  MJ is of course much better than tobacco.  Alcohol should be prohibited, & the slew of different meds prescribed should be researched for contraindications.

Dr. Ohm View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Dr. Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 17:53
namaste idd

i don't make any claims about if active compounds in cannabis are "good" or "bad" in fetal development - but simply express that this is a topic that is very difficult to explore - especially IQ my friend!! - an environment vs. genetics study design nightmare to objectively explore

you mentioned, "In Human Development, by Drs. Kail & Cavenaugh (Wadsworth 2004), they cite a study that showed children of women who smoke pot to have a Higher IQ. This is not known to be from the THC or the fact that pot-smoking mothers are more involved with their children."

how do we evaluate what the potential of an individual could have been, if cannabis was not used in pregnancy (it is definitely not clear to me how to design a good objective study to evaluate cannabis & IQ in neurological development)

this touches upon why i mentioned it may be very diificult for any of us (whether you are a scientist or a layman)to discuss objectively this topic

as you pointed out no real conclusions can actually be made from their findings regarding what caused the higher IQs, i also would be very curious to see what design they used to make the claim that IQs were "elevated" compared to "normal"

again, if we recognize a knowledge deficit that has not been fully explored by the scientific community with good studies- first let's be very careful about what we do know about this topic for now

also i think recommendations of playing it safe when it comes to health of children are valid given any potential long-term consequences for that child or risks of miscarriage to the mother

if possible - please give full citation of article -hopefully you got a direct link so that we can read it

thanks idd

peace

Om Namah Shivaya

-idd View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote -idd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2007 at 04:02
I hear what you are saying,

but I'm saying that you don't learn things until after the fact, certainly not by drawing a line in the sand and saying because we do not know, we cannot venture forth - pushing the envelope beyond the known is the only way to learn.

I'm more into learning than I am defining.  1/3 of babies miscarry anyway.  Plenty of smart people smoke pot.  IQ potentiality is measured with 50+ year old studies on separated twins.

No cite - read the book, it's great.  They do all the work for me.
Dr. Ohm View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Dr. Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 05:57
Namaste Idd - i do appreciate your efforts in posting a study. i'm sorry we are not able have the citation (i'm not certain about being able to access the book you mentioned - at least while i'm in India).

If the authors were using a "separated twin study", which we use as an aid to delineate genetics vs environment, I'm then very confused - because the twins shared the same womb w/cannabis exposure prior to separation.

i really suggest evaluating the study design before accepting the authors results/conclusions

i am definitely with you when it comes to always continuing to seek out "Truth" in science - because of this i try my best to be active in scientific research in regard to my field of oncology

i also agree w/you in regards to a need to seek cannabis acceptance by the scientific community

but it's important not to forget the topic - "effects of cannabis (long/short-term) on fetal development/pregnancy" - a possibly dangerous situation i think for a mother or the baby to be "pushing the line w/self-experimentation" - as you mentioned

i think we all have rights to our opinions, & we have over 10,000 forum members here with plenty of opinions

- but consider this -

Is it advisable for a pregnant women who has little or no scientific background, to try to make informed medical decisions by reading 10,000 personal opinions on a thread?

I was rigorous in my analysis of your post, because you stated your opinion - & then stated that it was based on "scientific data" from a study

if we do not subject such cannabis studies to rigorous analysis, we are not doing justice to that hypothetical woman, just possibly misleading her - i have no issues w/your personal opinion, but we should apply rigorous scientific analysis of the data being used to guide your decision on this topic

keep in mind, we will never obtain our goal to legitimize cannabis unless we are very egalitarian in our thorough analysis of both "pro/anti" - cannabis research studies. as i've mentioned in some of the other science-related threads - a medico-socio-political definitely exists where scientific authors are misleading the public w/their research

when i posted on this older thread, i noticed that the only post that had made efforts to focus on scientific data - was by Alan Dronkers

my hope is that the future posts will try to do the same

if anyone finds a well-designed, hopefully peer-reviewed study that leads them to make a decision about this topic - definitely post it. however, my contention is that there is not good data out there for this particular topic - a very tough thing to evaluate - so i prescribe a "conservative approach" of abstinence from psychoactive substances in pregnancy, or at a minimum decreased consumption & use w/ vaporization (w/o combustion)

just one more suggestion then i'll be quiet

- in the future - if anyone is interested in citing studies, please try using the recommended method of citation which allows everyone to evaluate the data for themselves - if they feel they have the training to do so

author name(s), study title, journal name/volume entry, date - info needed to pull the article; nowadays many accepted peer-reviewed studies are often available online, w/o need to visit a library

for an example of an excellent method of study citation, check out some science posts made by forum member "enkigooroo" - an excellent method for all of us to follow

peace idd - thanks for the book reference, i hope i get a chance to check it out sometime - take care everyone

Om Namah Shivaya

Post Reply Post Reply