seeds under light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
handsomehamish View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote handsomehamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seeds under light
    Posted: 06 November 2006 at 19:13
Hey fellow growers,
Wanted to ask a question about how soon germinated seeds can be placed under fluorescent lights.
I've just germinated some jack herer (heated propogator)and as soon as they broke out of the soil I put them under  fluro light, (so far so good) but in the FAQ section on germination it states that they should not be under light until two sets of serated leaves have formed.
As I've had to improvise to get the seeds to germinate in the first place (winter temps) I dont want to take any chances.
As always any and all advice greatfully received. HhThumbs Up
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 20:34
Just keep them a few feet away from the light until they've developed a bit, them move them closer. You shouldn't have any problems...
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 21:08
I think thats more to do with the high intensity lights though, I would think that a fluro would be alright? Best to be carefull anyways, keep them at a small distance from the light.

Bowenblunt
Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
CanadianBud View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CanadianBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 03:30
I've got some seedlings that are under a 125 W flourescent and they have been under there since I put the seeds in soil and they're still doing fine so i think it should be good
cheers

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:07
Seedlings can go straight under lights.
Certainly fluoros, and even HID if you're careful to maintain a good distance and make sure the HID doesn't heat up the atmosphere too much (partly from its own heat, partly because seedlings are often started in relatively small spaces).

I think I'm going to change that part of the FAQ...
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 18:47
if putting them under fluoros just keep them with-in 4" inches from the tubes at first then as they grow just keep the tubes at least 2" inches away to keep the leaves and tops from burning
help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
handsomehamish View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote handsomehamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 19:42
My thanks to you all. Thumbs Up Babies are currently 40cm from 4x60 Watt 5 foot tubes, in a vented propogator, under 24 hour light and are looking good to go. I want them in the flowering box as soon as possible as I dont have too much height to play with.  Any info on recent JH grows anyone, anything at all would help as this is my first JH grow. I would be particularly interested in time, height achieved, anything at all though. I got my fingers burned with the height thing last time round due to my inexperience. Hh
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 17:09
i am seeking advice on fluorescent lights. I am planning my first autumn grow.I have a small tent for the purpose and 150 watt fluorescent light. How long can i keep them under that light before moving them into the bigger tent under 600 watt HPS
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 14:16
Hey Obsessive,

If the tent you are going to veg them is ventilated then stick the fluro 1to2" or so over the tops for the first few weeks, If there's no ventilation then have it 4to5 inches above them.

Make sure you have a small ossilating fan blowing across them, These 2 ways will stop them stretching and get them big.

Whack a hydrometer/thermometer under the lamp to make sure it's not too hot and you're away.

How long you can keep them under the 125 is anyone's guess? 4 plants maybe all the way.

How big is the small tent? 80cmx80cmx100cm's?

Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 21:32
The size of the pots will matter greatly. Can keep a small plant alive ina  small pot under a CFL for a very long time (years? forever?) if you are careful and it will sit there till you are ready to use it. Small pots will mean very little if any branches tho. Careful they can dry up quick once they get established. Because you are feeding very little/not at all, growth slows, but once transplanted into a larger pot of fertile soil, growth returns with a vengance.
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 21:57
thank you everyone for the kind words. I will place them in the tent under 125 as soon as they break thru in small to medium sized pots.
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 22:00
Wack em in little pots to start with 10cm's or smaller.
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 14:03
I have the lil beauties under the 125 now. All have the first real leaves with that oh so distinctive shape. They always look so beautiful in miniature. I have the 125 about 4 inches away and intend to drop another in after a couple of weeks taking it up to 250. Not using a reflector on these as i am going vertical in this one and rotating the plants. I want to get some lemon haze seeds but have previously done the trip to the Dam.  Has anyone in this forum had em delivered to UK? 

Oh by the way. Just tried a sample of the SS that is drying. I harvested a few days before peak as i didnt want to be a couch potato and the Cannaboid level is fine. I think going early will be the right decision. Looking forward to the manicure and getting it in the can to cure. My better half is the smoker

%3cool
 Post Reply Post Reply