Claude View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kashmir
    Posted: 23 October 2004 at 04:05

Hi everybody !!

Anyone remember Hash named Kashmir.???

It had one side white coated. I think it was a small layer of opium.?

I am trying to get the info on how it was made and with wich strains.

Best Regards

Claude  

Alan Dronkers View Drop Down
Sensi Connoisseurs
Sensi Connoisseurs
hemp expert and cannabis enthusiast

Quote Alan Dronkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 10:52
It si not realy white coated, the white is from a fungus in the hash....typical for kashmir hash
Agricolas View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Agricolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 17:55

Kashmiri is not hashish, strictly speaking. It is charas, sometimes called finger hash in the west, and also called gurdah when pounded with weights.

It is made by bursting trichome heads on the fingertips, and not all trichs will be at a stage of ripeness that allow this to happen at the same time, meaning that only a small percentage of the resin present actually sticks to the presser's fingers, making the collection of fine charas a slow and innefficient way of collecting cannabis resin, and making good charas a rarity in the Himalayas, and almost unknown in the west.

We can all make our own, however, if we treat our plants well and follow old agricolas down memory lane.

Agricolas’  Cheerful Charas

The object of this exercise is to collect the trichs, the whole trichs, and nothing but the trichs, so long as your digits can press.

You won’t believe how mentally and physically draining the hour or two spent to get a gramme can be, but once you’ve mastered it you will eagerly volunteer to have another go at this meticulous task.

Hauntingly sweet and throat rippingly cruel, a single lungful of charas smoke is, in the opinion of many, the finest single hit on the planet and certainly the most flavoursome and smile inducing.

Here we go!  I like to make mine from seed heads but sinsi will do just as well, personally I find both to be equal in potency, if from the same plant.

It’s best at this point to prepare yourself mentally to work as slowly and carefully as you possibly can, if you try to rush it you’ll only contaminate your end product. The extreme care and mental tranquillity required for getting really pure charas meant that monks in the Shivite temples would use collecting it as a form of meditation, and offer their hard won nuggets to the temple altar as evidence of their dedication to the Shivite faith. These would obviously be enjoyed by all the monks and residents of the temple, and are the root of the “temple Balls” myth.

They do exist, but only temple dwellers get them, the rest of us get some tasty, not so pure charas from the small commercial pressers, or worse.

Take fresh buds, one at a time from your chosen ones, you’ll get more if they are just cut prior to working.

Holding the fresh bud carefully between the tips of your thumb and first two fingers, use the same digits of the other hand to dismantle the bud, being careful to keep just the tips of your fingers sticky, you don’t want to spread the trichs any farther than that, or you’ll never collect them together. Each time you rupture a trich a tiny amount will adhere to your skin; the more slowly and carefully you burst those trichs on the same piece of finger tip, the less work will be required to gather it into a lump.

As you work your fingertips will get darker and darker as the resin collects, as a beginner it’s ok to allow the odd ginger hair, or pistillate frond to be included, as it can help in holding tiny balls of resin together.

Once you become proficient, however, all attempts at cheating will be forgotten, the drive towards purity becomes paramount as you work, dreaming about the last crumb you smoked, and wondering if it could possibly get better as you avoid more contaminants.

Once you’ve got some real dirty, sticky fingertips, it soon becomes apparent that trichs are like velcro, they’ll stick to anything, every piece of worked material is likely to steal some of your bounty if you’re not careful how you move it to the “finished” pile.

This problem is solved by sharply and repeatedly tapping opposing dirty digits together, to try and flatten the trichs against your skin, keep doing this periodically until your fingers start to become stuck together, at which point, a small patch of sticky will suddenly adhere to one fingertip, pulling all the material it is in contact with on the other hand, off, and on to one fingertip. You will now have a small clean patch on the robbed digit tip, that is dry and smooth. Every last atom of trich material has been cleanly transferred to that other fingertip, and can be used, like a little piece of Velcro, to pick up other dirty sticky stains from other fingertips, sometimes two dirty surfaces can be touched together and rubbed, using a circular motion of about 5 mm, rocking back and forth, to grain up the surface so the little grains can be rolled together.

In this way your fingers should, with practice, be perfectly clean and smooth when you’ve finished, but with mine, I do sometimes get purple stains deep ingrained from the fresh sap of budstems, but this is not sticky, I work diligently, being careful not to lose the minutest crumblet, and don’t stop until every sticky atom has been collected into a single nugget of joy, and my fingertips are dry and smooth.

Assuming that you have worked for two hours, you should be completely exhausted by this effort, physically cramped and mentally drained from the effort of concentration,  if you’re not, it’s likely to show in the quality, and quantity of your finished charas. Too little care in it’s collection and the inclusion of plant material will swell the size but lower the bang per gramme.

Having collected your prize, how best to enjoy it?

If you think “whack the whole thing in that bowl! I’m going into orbit”, you probably don’t have the patience to get this far successfully.

A prudent and dedicated purist will have a clean pipe to savour the flavour, get all that old gunge out, clean it through with nail polish remover and pipe cleaners, you can dispose of that how you will, but we don’t want the taste of old tar to sully the experience of our first charas.

Make sure the pipe is dry and clean and draw a bowlful of good bud through it to season.

Now take a tiny piece of charas, no bigger than a BB and flatten it out as thinly as possible, unstuck it from whatever you just flattened it on, don’t worry, it’s sticky enough to hold together. Place the flattened lump in your pipe, and practice this breathing technique.

Think about holding your breath, there’s more to it than just waiting for your lungs to burst before exhaling violently, in this exercise.

You need to divide each breath into 3 equally important phases.

Number one is in slowly breathing in, using your diaphragm, not your mouth, as the driving force. This slow controlled inhalation will ensure that your treasure doesn’t burn while nobody is toking, wasting nothing of your hard work. It should take up to 30 seconds to fill your lungs to about ¾ capacity, by lighting just one edge of your flattened BB, you should be able to draw slowly and gently, watching the line of red creeping across your toke, as you near capacity, the ember works it’s way across, completely exhausting it’s fuel with that bright red “I’m done!” signal.

At this point you should have sufficient lung capacity to hold that toke in for up to 30 seconds, beginning to exhale before it becomes painfull, we don’t want to burst out and lose it all!

The exhalation is of paramount importance, the slower it can be done the better, for this exhalation will be through your nose! Your nasal cavities have a huge number of fine capillaries that will absorb far more THC than your throat will, so slowly trickling the smoke through your nose can double the amount of THC that you absorb. I read somewhere that only 4% of available THC is absorbed in an average toke.

This breathing technique is practiced by woodwind and brass musicians to improve their performance, and ability to play long and complex passages. It’s not necessary to smoke while practicing, it can be done anywhere, anytime and will aid in general fitness as well as being perfect for the ultimate extraction of THC from smoke.

Now that you’re wasted, you can collect all your dismantled buds up and put them to dry, they’ll be just as good as ever, and ready to go in the bowl once they’re dry, the tiny amount that you managed to collect is only a tiny proportion of what’s there.

20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 09:45

Yeah...Alan is right.  It's mould not opium.  We use to get in Australia from the late 70's till the mid 80's.  Then the Fitzgerald Inquiry busted the importes in Qld, and that was the end of it.

I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 09:47
Good post Agri

20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 14:49

BTW Agricola...

In case you're ever down my neck of the woods and you want to ask if there's any Charas around - we call it finger-putty here.  Goes by that name in alot of other places too.  But to get the good stuff here nowadays you have to maek it yourself or know a grower that does.

If you had a tumbler/pollinator with 3 different micron screens and ran the moist buds through it at about 15RPM for 2hours through each screen(110, 73 and 25micron) the resultant bud would not get you stoned at all.  It removes it all and produces heaps of ultra clean Charas...or...fingerputty.  The first run is the most potent as it takes all the primo 'fully capitated trics' that are the most mature and potent.  That stuff is even more heavenly than the finger produced charas that you describe as the finger cannot take just the FCTrics - it takes some of all of them, even the immatured ones that are less potent.

I'll be doing a dedicated grow for it in a few months...heaven awaits.

seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 13:03
Sound yummy guys... I have a good pile of clippings drying up now. Can't wait to start. :)
redrooster View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote redrooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2005 at 00:23
Besides, opium is never white. In the mid 70s kashmir was a treat here or in Bombay. Boom Shiva!
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 19:30

Anyone know how make kashmir - Fungus n all.

Thanks for the details on Charras Agricolas, I had some Manali On a recent trip to the DAM, Was very oily when smoked in a bong.

More Details on Kashmir Would Be great

Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
mriko View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mriko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2006 at 01:12
Agricolas, garda and charas are two different finished product.
garda is sieved resin, but in places such as Afghanistan or Pakistan, when it's pressed it is then called charas (whic is also the name of hte cannabis plantin Northern Afghanistan).

Of course there's also the hand-rubbed charas.

The white coating on kashmir isnot always due to mold, it can be actually some pice of corn leaf that remained stick after the pressing.

Irie !
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 13:40

I think that cannabis plants are referred to as 'charas tabak' in Afghanistan (at least, that's what I read in Hashish! by RC Clarke).

Interesting bit of information about garda vs charas, mirko. I knew that Afghani hash is mostly seived rather than rubbed from living plants.

But the fact that it can be soft and black and is even sometimes referred to as charas has been a source of confusion.

So thanks for the tip!

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply