Q`s about hemp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lopez View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lopez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q`s about hemp
    Posted: 23 June 2006 at 07:03
I live in Northern Europe,and I`ve been getting interested in cultivating hemp. There`s a local strain but it`s bred for good seed production,not for the fiber.

Now,where can I get seed for good fiber hemp? And as there are no processing plants here to process the fiber, what would such a facility cost? I`ve been talking with some farmers here,and there would be interest in investing in such a plant collectively.

The another question is about breeding the hemp strain with some more THC- potent strains; is it just as possible as ordinarily with MJ- strains? The local strain overwinters as a seed,and that`s a trait I would like to see in a more potent strain aswellsmoking
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 13:19
Hello,

the law may obstruct your plans. The bureaucrats have prohibited THC and would like to bury the sweet smell and nice looks of hemp, too, if they only could. They really think that all things on earth, water and stones, flora and fauna, body and soul belonged to them. This is why so much stealth is involved in cannabis breeding.

When hemp receives few light then it grows high. Therefore you should sow tight; five rows in a meter, ten plants per meter of row. Broadcast sowing (a random pattern) is even better, but I wonder how the seeds are covered with soil.

Many cultivations are used for both fiber and seeds. For example I bought seeds which nominally are animal feed for 1,40 Euro per pound. (Search samen-mack.de for "hanf"!) The seedlings grow long internodes and do not side-branch much.

Fiber processing needs more or less manual work. In former times most people were farmers or peasants. Hempflax go the modern way with big machines and have photographs online. But when I see how many old agricultural devices rust under the sky, and how many outdated industrial plants are disintegrated and melted, then I imagine that medium-sized fiber processing machinery could be built rather cheap from used parts.

Your last question is related to landraces. Every population should have diversity also called a big gene-pool, as variation and change are the spices of life. The drug cannabis people call it "a strain with many phenos". Therefore breeding is done in the field with thousands of plants. Simply a part of the harvest is sown out next year. The result should be strain not too uniforn, not too diverse. The balance between stability and chaos. In-breeding for special traits may lead to chihuahuahuas which are mostly true-breeding, in explanation child looks like mother and father.

Uli

Post Reply Post Reply