Northern Lights #5 x Haze and Silver Haze #9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hash Driveway View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Lights #5 x Haze and Silver Haze #9
    Posted: 21 April 2013 at 22:35
Hi all *waves and smiles*

Apologies for neglecting you for months. Times are tough for us 'precariat.'

I wasnt going to have a grow this year due to unpredictable home visits from officialdom but..

I had 2 seeds in the drawer from 2 years ago and I wondered if they would crack. They did.

So I've got 2 nice little seedlings, perfect for a diary, except they're both GHS and one of them is 'J*** H****'. Now I know Sensi are cool about any strain being the subject of a diary here but..

So still enthused with the notion of a diary, I procured something less controversial:

2 of Sensi Northern Lights #5 x Haze
2 of Sensi Silver Haze #9

Same equipment as last year bar replacing the TT fan with a Ruck.

Grow space is a 1600mm x 900mm 900mm tent

Lighting is 400W metal halide/dual spectrum hps.

Grow medium is Levingtons MP to which i add roughly 10% perlite.

The larder

From the left

Plant Magic Plus Oldtimers Organic Bloom (no grow nute required this time)
Bat shit for flower boost
Plant Magic Plus granules (a granular innoculant which forms a symbiotic relationship with the roots apparently.) You sprinkle it in the pot hole in the compost when potting up,
and Formulex, which renders the grow not strictly organic but who give's a fuck.

And finally, the plants

Because of unknown future visits from officialdom, I've decided to do 2 seeds at a time. First pair I want to grow naturally, to see how they develop and what they look like. Second pair will be topped.

The first pair are now 9 days old

.....................Northern Lights #5 x Haze................................................Silver Haze #9

So yeah, the SH9 is going much better than the NL5xH. I'm not sure what was/is wrong with it, I suspect I may have damaged it when transferring to the compost. It hardly grew it's first week and the seed leaves are a bit deformed. I gave them both some Formulex and both have responded well but if the runty one continues with it's runty ways I may yet plant the other NL5xH seed.

So that's a start then. At this stage I'm particularly interested to hear from growers who have grown these strains before, specifically the height of the plant when you flipped the light and the finished height, give or take a pheno or 2.

Everyone else, I look forward to catching up with where you're at.

Yours in weed
HD

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 00:41
Hi HD, good to see ya back at it, I'm looking forward to seeing how the JH does, can't be all that bad eh? I grew the Sensi one, huge plants with a lot of quick stretching for the first 2-3 weeks of flower. After running her a couple of times I found tying her down early was a must!

The nl5hz seedling looks fine, I just put one into flower today, it was vegged for about 3 months, topped loads of times and stands at approx 2ft now. I imagine we will go through a lot of twine between us in the coming months.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 23:32
Thanks alecky, it feels good to be back 'at it', it's hands down the best hobby ever,

I dont got the JH anymore, or the other one (Moby Dick.) My mate (sandy beach) took them on. He reckons GH 'JH' is great, indeed, it was sandy that recommended i buy it. I'll be interested in sampling it when he gets it done.

Flowering a NL5xH at 2 foot? That's surely going to become a monster, you'll be needing rope not twine. Have you got the space?
sandy beach View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sandy beach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 18:48
the nl haze is small,but it looks healthy enough.maybe have to give them more veg time than you first thought.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 20:29
Originally posted by sandy beach

the nl haze is small,but it looks healthy enough.maybe have to give them more veg time than you first thought.

It's looking like a nature malfunction. It's produced more sets of leaves but it's still tiny. I'll put some pics up in a bit.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 21:08
Aye so, 50% of the grow is doing fine.

Day 9

Day 17

Northern Lights #5 x Haze.........................................Silver Haze #9

The SH9 is doing fine as you can see. The NL5 not so much.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it or if it's even fixable. I've tried Formulex in the soil, then on the leaves. I swapped the metal halide for HPS, I even tried top dressing the soil with the root stuff and watering it with a pipette.  Nothing doing.

I shall persevere with it but the other NL5 seed went between the plates today.

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 21:30
Still not much to look at yet but here's an update anyway

Day 17

........................ Day 7 ............................................................. Day 30

..........Northern Lights #5 x Haze.........................................Silver Haze #9 

So as you might have noticed, a substitution has been made. The original NL5 was having a rubbish game and needed hooking. It's still alive but only just. The replacement is doing just fine.

The Silver Haze is on the cusp of going 12/12

I don't think I dare let it get much taller (I can accommodate plants just over a metre in height.)

The metal halide keeps it plenty bushy however

and I'm gonna stick with it for the first 7-10 days of 12/12 to try and keep things low.

Things will get more interesting soon I hope.

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 20:10
Still not much to look at yet,

Last time:
............................ Day 7 ............................................................. Day 30

This time:
.............................. Day 27 ............................................................. Day 50

...................Northern Lights #5 x Haze.........................................Silver Haze #9 

I've made a few errors I'm afraid. I reckoned I wouldn't need grow nute and that the nutrient in the compost would suffice. Wrong. Both of em had an N deficiency soon after going 12/12 which now seems to have stabilised (after feeding some grow nute %3cmbarrass%3cd)

For the diary, both went 12/12 16 days ago when the NL5 was 3 inches (75mm), the SH9 7 inches (180mm). They are now 6 inches (150mm) and 17 inches (430mm) respectively. I've decided that the SH9 is now properly in flower, starting today. The NL5 isn't showing a single pre-flower as yet.

This will get more interesting soon, i promise..
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 15:37
As promised, this week's update is more interesting, I reckon by maybe 10-15%.

Anyway, last week:

This week:
............................ Day 34 ........................................................................ Day 57

.....................Northern Lights #5 x Haze................................................Silver Haze #9 

The Silver Haze's stretch has slowed over the last few days and it now stands about 24 inches (610mm).

The NL5 has hardly grown in height at all, maybe an inch or so. All it's growth activity is happening on the stalk

I'm not sure what's gonna happen next, I assume it will take off on it's stretch any day.

Back in the tent, the SH9 is into it's final pot and the NL5 sits on a stool to make it the same height

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict the next update will be 25% more interesting than this one.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 20:48
8 days ago:

Today:
........................... Day 42 ........................................................................ Day 65

....................Northern Lights #5 x Haze................................................Silver Haze #9 

For the diary, the SH9 has been in flower 16 days, the NL5 8 days. Both are on 4ml/L of Plant Magic Oldtimer Organic Grow. 

I'm finding this vegging/flowering simultaneously more difficult than the more usual veg then flower. The 12/12 cycle limits access and what to feed them is a bit perplexing.

The SH9's lower leaves look underfed whilst the upper leaves show signs of being overfed. I'd show you but

Access Denied

%3crror Error
Only members with sufficient permission can access this page.

is what I get on the pic upload thing. I'll try and finish this later.

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 21:14
Right, where was I..
Aye, yellow fan leaves below, yellow tips above. It's only grown a couple of inches the past week (now 26 inches)

but it is filling out

I think I'll give it bloom nute next feed.

The NL5 still hasnt stretched, slowly creeping up to about 10 inches

It's foliage is a tangled up mess

Is it going to stretch or is this just how they grow?

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 13:26
Hey bud i doubt its going to stretch anymore at this stage of the game. I think its the chance you take when going straight to 12/12, some plants are ok with it and others arent, your 5hz looks like it could have done with a bit of veg time but ive seen more sativa leaning ones that seem to like the directly into flowering route. Ive tried it a few times and always ended up with similar plants to your 5hz. Now i try veg for as long as possible, pruning and tieing plants down to keep them manageable. Also when they are vegged to bigger more mature plants the stretch when flowering is induced, is much less than that of a younger plant. 

The 5hz i had, that i was convinced was a girl, turned out to be a male! BAH!! Your silver haze looks the biz, going to be some nice buds on her! Are they both fem seeds you started?                     
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 21:47
Hi Alecky, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

It does look like what you say is happening, all flower no branch. I did veg it for a few weeks (to 3 inches) but obviously not long enough for this particular plant. If I try it again I'll probably veg to 6 - 8 inches and top it.  I think I've slightly under-vegged the silver haze as well (famous last words) but it's all good learning and there'll be something decent to smoke at the end I'm sure.

Both were fem seeds.

How's your mother plant doing?

Edit: I just re-read your 1st post. Not a mother plant more a father figure.. That's bad luck mate, a lot of time and effort wasted. I may only have a midget but at least I got that..

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 17:01
I wouldnt mind having a midget, one that can roll joints would be great.
On the veg time, the terminology we all use has overshadowed what stage the plant is actually at. The first couple of weeks after the seed has broke the soil is the seedling stage, when the plant has grown its first few sets of real leaves and has out grown its seedling pot,that could be 3inches high or 8 inches high, depends on the seedling,  its then potted on and the growing cycle begins, until flowering starts or is induced.

People now call anytime after the seed has broke ground as the "veg period" and it ends up causing confusion. So really, to give a plant 2weeks veg before flowering, that plant should actually be about 4 weeks old going into flower.  I agree its a learning curve but an enjoyable one!

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 23:29
Another very helpful post, thanks man, it makes sense now. When it went 12/12 it only had 1 set of real leaves which weren't even fully formed. I imagine that because the plant had to wait to grow the requisite amount of real leaves before stretching, the flowering phase arrived before it got the chance to stretch, or something. I can't leave it at that, I'm gonna have to get another seed. £%3cuch 

What can I expect it to turn into? Do they still grow healthily, is it worth potting up? Also, was your recent disappointment a reg or a fem? You were trying to grow a mega plant weren't ya. must be very disappointing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>