Jack Herer 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack Herer 2016
    Posted: 16 January 2016 at 21:15
So its a new year and time to find some new mothers. For the sativa hit ive got some Jack Herer and for the indica hit ive got some Nordle from MNS. Both regular strains. Ive also got an ECSD cross on the go too. Really looking forward to seeing what i get from the JH. Grew it a few years ago and loved it.

As always ill be keeping it simple, shop bought soil mixed with perlite, liquid seaweed extract and a regular general purpose plant food. 4ft T5 for veg and a 600w HPS in a 4x4 tent for flower.

I put 7 seeds in between some tissue/plates yesterday

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
CowardlyCustard View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2016 at 21:33
sweet, heres to hoping all your seedlings be girls.
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 15:04
Cheers CC, that would be ideal! Heres a bit of info from Ganja about the different phenos in Jh, id be happy with any, but i would love to find A or B or even both!

[QUOTE=Ganja]Strains like Silver Haze, Silver Pearl and American Dream (plus the various Skunks) have Sativa in them but they’re what we’d call Sativa influenced Indicas. They’re Indica-dominant and thus more homogenous

Strains like Jack Herer, Mother's Finest and Jack Flash are all around the 50/50 mark, and so have phenotypes that can express slightly different combinations of Indica and Sativa. At a rough estimate, Jack Flash would be 60/40 I/S, Mother's Finest 40/60 I/S and Jack Herer 50/50. Individuals from each strain will usually strike their own balance between the two 'ends of the spectrum'.

In my experience, Jack Herer has four distinct phenotpyes, Jack Flash has two and Mother's Finest has four (some people would argue MF has two phenos). IMHO, the more a hybrid strain leads towards Indica, the more uniformity can be expected.

The Jack Herers that grow in the Hash Marijuana Hemp Museum are from a single pack of seeds that we test-germinated about 18 months ago. From that pack we got nine females and, due to space restrictions, kept four as mothers (labelled A, C, D and H). These expressed the four main phenotypes of Jack Herer.

EDIT - The labels of A, C, D and H were a result of labelling the females, in random order, from A to I, then selecting our favourites from that group.

For the sake of clarity, I've changed the labels below to A, B, C and D

Phenotype-A (my favourite from that pack) takes around the full 70 days to finish and grows long strings of inflated calyxes, very much like the picture in the Sensi catalogue. This pheno can multiply its height by a factor of five or more, so we usually flower it very small (10-15cm), unless we happen to want a 2m plant. For Jack Herer with the 'highest' effect, choose the most Sativa-influenced phenos, with the biggest calyxes.

Pheno-B is compact, adding about 150% to its vegetated height in flowering and finishing in under 60 days. If speed, weight and compact growth pattern are the qualities you're most interested in, choose Indica-leaning Jack as a mother.

When we last grew A and B together, in similar conditions, they were all flowered at about 15cm. B finished at 40cm, A was about 90cm. Yield would have ended up quite similar, with A producing slightly more. The much stronger Haze high in the A pheno is well worth the extra flowering time.

Sadly, we subsequently lost pheno-C, which produced a thick, running bud with swollen calyxes (though not as inflated as the calyxes on A) and long, frosted pistils. This one filled out more like Northern Lights #5 x Haze (outwards as well as upwards) and also took about 70 days. Plant for plant, the C pheno was heavier than A, even though  the (larger) dried buds of C were less dense.

Phenotype-D could be considered the least desirable in terms of its growth pattern – very tall and growing large, solid clusters of buds at the internodes, often with big gaps between those internodes. However, it's such a spectacular producer of resin that it's well worth growing.

The other three didn’t suffer from the problem of gaps between internodes – B grew thick clusters to obscure its short stem, A grew ropes of calyxes to cover its long stem, C does a bit of both, and has the largest volume of buds, overall.

The reason that we kept D was that its resin production was even greater than the other three (which were very well frosted).

From what we’ve seen of many other phenos, they mostly follow one of these four patterns.

Some general tips for flowering all the Jack Herer phenos –

Flower small.

Good coverage with bright light makes for tighter buds and more resin. The Jack Herer in the Museum flower under a pair of 400w HPS or a pair of 600w HPS. This is true of all strains, of course.

Jack doesn’t need high levels of nutrient, even in its more Indica-leaning phenos. We don’t go over EC 1.9, and 1.8 is often fine all the way to the end of flowering.

Herer can deal with more moisture than some strains, but you should still avoid keeping its growing medium constantly wet, unless the water is also constantly moving through the medium..

This is probably not much you don’t know already. The main reason for the nice results in the Museum was selecting the best mother plants by flowering a few clones of each of the nine females as early as possible.

Flowering seed-plants as small as 10 or 15cm can still yield nice results, but you will not see the best of the plants this way. It’s much better to be able to flower many small clones, cut from an older plant.

In my experince, it's often been the case that clones cut from mother plants (especially Sativas) improve their performance and resin production over the first year or two.[QUOTE=Ganja]

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 18:53
B sounds just like the ticket
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 23:46
Yay, they are off!

mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2016 at 14:30
Sweet! you know what I used to love a bit of jack from the dam in the 90's was really really nice. Cant wait to follow this grow mate, hope ya find a nice mum or two ;).
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2016 at 15:13
Hi mellow, yeah i love JH, been a while since i had any though. Im hoping for a powerful sativa that finishes in 70 days ish. You are more than welcome to a few cuts of anything i find bud. %3chumbs%20Up

Ive put the seeds in pots of soil today, ill update when there is something to show. Also got a couple of BlueDream cuts this morning in the post, ill keep one as a mother and hopefully ill get the other one into flower fairly soon.
beasty View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote beasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 14:45
Hey there Alecky :)
i got some questions..
Mellow told me to check out ur grow diary and just copy it for a easy going 1st try grow..
from what company u use the liquit seaweed extract ?  Maxicrop ?
and plant food is just some random from the store? or some special or from some company ?

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 21:38
Hi Beasty yes i use maxi crop but it doesnt matter what brand, ive used others when i cant get maxi. I use a good all purpose fertilizer from the garden center, the one im using at the moment is an Irish made organic fertilizer, so far so good, no complaints. I used cannabis specific nutes for years and tbh i dont see any differences, others do. I also use shop bought soil

I find this one to be the best all rounder for my needs, i mix some perlite through it, about 10% and it is good for all stages of growth. The only added food i need in veg is the maxi crop and even at that its only the odd watering.

Start with little seedling pots, they should be good for a couple of weeks then replant into 2 or 2.5 ltr pots which should do for another 3-4 weeks, in these pots they will get big enough to determine gender and take a few cuts, its towards the end of their time in these pots that ill use the seaweed, then re pot into their final pots, for indicas i use 10-12 ltr pots and sativas 15-20ltr. I give them then another week or so in veg then move them into flower.

After 10-14 days in flower i start to feed, usually once a week, with plain water inbetween or if needed, maxi crop. This is what works for me and is just to give you an idea. My advice would be to go to your local garden center and talk to someone there, ask them what soil is good and what fertilizer they recommend for herbs and annuals.

Some people would have you believe growing cannabis is very complicated but it isnt, unless you want it to be. %3cmile

beasty View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote beasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 23:18
Olla :)

Alright, thanks for the info..
But tbh, it sounds hard for someone who never did that or growing other plants and stuff.. Also sometimes iam lost bc english isnt my motherlanguage tho.. :)

How long do u grow ur own plants?
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 01:35
Hi Beasty, its very easy, dont be put off! Im growing cannabis coming up on 10 years, first two times were outdoors and a disaster!

All the JH seeds are above ground and ive put them under the T5 today. %3chumbs%20Up
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 11:45
I swear i replied to this post? Just wanted to double check mate, do you start you seedlings in this soil, just in small pots or is there something different you use bro?
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 12:08
Hi mate, yeah i start them in this soil too in little seedling pots. A lot of the time i just start the seed directly in the soil and bypass the tissues. Because of the price of these seeds i wanted to document the germination in case there were any problems. When i put the seeds to germ i also filled the little pots and left them on a window sill to come up to room temp, only because its freezing outside and so was the soil! I didnt want anything to slow them down.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 12:33
did you know that with older seeds if you warm them first you get better germination rates? its an old greenhouse mans trick, was to put the older seeds in a small paper bag and then put them in their waist coat pocket. logic being that the seeds would think it was getting to spring as they warmed up making them more likely to germinate when water is added.
Nec Plus Ultra
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 12:43
Hi CC, yeah ive heard of something similar. But thats the general idea of keeping the seeds in the fridge until needed, to simulate winter then into the warm soil to simulate spring. When i say warm i mean room temp, warmer than soil would be in the winter!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>