hygrometer/thermometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CowardlyCustard View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hygrometer/thermometer
    Posted: 18 August 2015 at 12:20
hello, i bet most of you have sat looking at your temperature and humidity measuring device and wondered "how do i know if this is telling me the truth?" having "faith" that your instrument is correctly calibrated is never a wise thing to do as i have 3 bought at the same time, two made by the same company that all give different results.there is a very simple way to test your hygrometer using salt, water and an airtight container. these guys explain it better than i ever could so here is a short instructional video. https://youtu.be/d2XWnVP3gaI

when it comes to knowing your temperature, for most accurate results use a good quality scientific glass, alcohol filled, mounted thermometer to test your digital ones against. then if there is a difference you can mark your thermometer +/- to compensate for it.

when measuring air temp in the space it is critical to have your thermometer in the shade as the radiant heat from the bulb can cause warming of your devices casing and skew your results (make a little hat if you have to). i find the best way to know the temperature at canopy level is to use an infra-red lazer thermometer i got mine from fleabay for about a tenner with free postage.

i hope this helps as having your temperatures and humidity dialed in can be the difference between good and wow that was amazing pot.

Nec Plus Ultra
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 13:36
Thanks for the video link... I have a couple of hygrometers that I know aren't accurate, but I didn't know how to test them.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 13:45
youre welcome. 
Nec Plus Ultra
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 13:11
Thanks for the info cowardly :). I found the same as you bud I think i've got 3/4 hydrometers knocking about and they all are slightly different. I also found the salt bag trick too, but someone advised against it cant remember who? Do all you hydrometers have the same reading now?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 13:23
no i never opened them up to see if they could be manually adjusted. i have marked them though to give me a better idea of how close i am as no device is ever perfect and usually have a 5% +/-  tolerance anyway.  
Nec Plus Ultra
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 12:57
Nice,

I'm gonna dig out all my hydrometers tomorrow and i'll see what i can do with em :)
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 13:12
I dont even have one! 
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 13:23
Snap! I've done away with all my gizmos.
Peace
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 14:03
i hope for your two sakes you never get struck with the big B. lowering humidity in the last weeks of flowering increases resin production to help seal up the plant against water loss through transpiration. more resin production = more potency. humidity spikes midway through flowering increases chances of being struck with Botrytis. if you dont measure it how do you know when its a problem? i run my fans 24hrs to deal with the lights off humidity peak and have a dehumidifier in the room that the tent is in so if i start seeing humidity numbers i dont like i just switch it on and keep an eye on things till the balance is restored.
Nec Plus Ultra
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 14:12
I hear ya fella, I combat humidity with a Good air exchange rate, plus I draw air in from inside my house so the air going in is always on the dryer side. Humidity is only usually a problem during the summer months here at which time I grow outdoors shutting down my indoor grow, this also help with pest management as it gives me time to deep clean.

Peace
 Post Reply Post Reply