SCROG suitable strain for beginner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rod1e View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rod1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCROG suitable strain for beginner
    Posted: 03 December 2014 at 09:14
HI, could someone help me choose a strain please.
I'm a first time grower indoors.
I want to use Screen of Green technique and keep it down to two plants.
The screens will be about 40cm x 40 cm
The light will be vertical between the screens
I can run one Sonlight HPS 150W or one Superplant 150W Metal Halide Grow Lamp alongside an old 125W Mercury-Vapor lamp with a colour corrected coating.
If possible I would like an autoflower feminized strain.

Would a compact variety be better or doesn't it matter because of the screen training?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
rod
Charly Sensi View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Charly Sensi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 16:13
Hello Rod1e

Welcome to our Forum!!

First of all, if you are planning to grow Indoor,why do you want to buy an Auto-flowering strain in the first place?

To develop correctly, your Autos will need more light, either 18 or 20 hours of light for 2,5/3 months(bigger electricity bill in the end), taking the exact same time than a strain like Skunk N#1 or Super Skunk, that are our beginners strains btw , to finally yield less buds to smoke....

More money & more work for less weed doesn't sound very logical, right?

But it's a little bit what happens growing autoflowers indoor, IMO.
They're perfect for balconies, gardens or guerilla growing but they don't really worth the effort & time grown Indoor. I would rather save space for a "normal" strain that would give me bigger yield in the end.
Besides, with autos, you won't really be able to work in SCROG, as your plants will start flowering depending on their age, and probably without filling your entire screen.
Again, any photosensitive strain would, IMO, do the job much better.

Second, I'm really not a fan of old Mecury Vapor Lamps, not really safe or ecological, when for your grow area (80x80), a simple plug & play CFL light or a T5 would cost you much less electricity to run, giving you probably the same, or even maybe better results.

Maybe the others on the Forum are still using this kind of lights & could help You better than me on that subject.

If You have more questions just let me know.
Talk to You soon.
Charly Sensi.
rod1e View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rod1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 20:00
Thanks Charley.

Yes, see your point... OK, not autoflowering...

The lights are what I have knocking about already. The 125w Hg lamp gives off about 9000 lumen and the other 150w HID's give off 10500 lumen.
I can make the screens bigger if that seems like overkill, but I was thinking HID's will help keep the place warm too.
Was also thinking if I use vertical screens and vertical light, without a reflector, it'll be easier to keep the lights at the right distance, one screen on either side, no need for a pulley system... and a lot of heat will go straight up and away from the plants.

I think I would probably need at least 150w fluorescent to get 9000 lumen?? Dunno?

So you would recommend Skunk N#1 or Super Skunk?
Cheers
Charly Sensi View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Charly Sensi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 11:54
Hello Rod1e

So, the fact that HID lamps will help you keeping your growing area warm is correct, but remember, it will need to be ventilated as well, & most of the heat could leave trought your exhaust system
Mh & HPS are pretty safe to use, if all your electrical connections are properly made.
Concerning how many watts you should use with fluorescent lamps to get to 9000 lumen, about 150w sounds correct, but what I wiould also check is the Kelvin emitted by your lamps, The kelvin is used in the measure of the colour temperature of light sources.
To make it simple : for the growing stage, I would choose 6400k bulbs or tubes, and change them for flowering for some 2700°k.
As most CFL lights bulbs emit betwwen 50 to 65 lumen per watt, and is normally indicated, just check this detail before buying your lamp, a quick calculation & you'll know the exact lumen

To answer your last question, choosing between Skunk#1 & Super Skunk is pretty hard, but if I had to choose only one, I would go for the Super Skunk, but this is my personal taste and probably lots would recommand you to grow Skunk#1.
So I guess the best advise I could give you is maybe you should try them both & see which one you prefer.

Talk to You soon.
Charly Sensi.
rod1e View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rod1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 20:56
Thanks Charley, excellent stuff.

OK, great, that means I'm covered for lights and my wiring is AOK. I think keeping the temperature up will be my main concern.

Yeah, good idea... try them both :o)

Oh yeah, one more thing, say the seeds get frozen in transit, do you think that it will damage them?
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply