Harvest Time? Your advice please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Penguin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvest Time? Your advice please!
    Posted: 11 March 2013 at 19:06
Hallo There!

I have two lovely ladies in a tiny wee room on my first ever grow. 80 days since first sign of flowering, 120 days since planting seed.

The larger one on the right is a Rudaralis Indica from RoyalQueen Seedbank(I choose this strain to see if it was possible to grow as a house-plant [no special lighting etc] - brilliantly, this has worked and I will post about it elsewhere).

The shorter one to the left and rear of the 'room' is a Skunk#1 Automatic from Sensiseeds Seedbank.

Growing in Coco with dedicated nutes (Plant Magic) and a small room with 150W HPS for veg and 250W for flowering.

I gave them too long in the veg stage (five weeks) and there was an outrageous incident when I cut down from four plants to two (as two had gone hermie) - but for some unknown reason I swapped the wrong ones out! Meaning both these ladies had a day (24hrs) between veg and flowering light cycles in normal house lighting. whoops.

Gnat Larvae presence throughout the grow never got too bad, but I worry the lack of bulk to these ladies is due to damaged root system thanks to the gnat larvae.

Both spouted interesting new growth on top over the last two days too - can be seen in the photo of the tiny cupboard - these look like random top calyxes-meet-leaves and at least seem to be curling down a bit.

Slightly milky Trichomes on the Skunk, clearer on the Ruderalis: no amber as yet (using a 40x loupe).

What do we think? Another week or two before a few days flushing and then harvest?

Also, when the time comes, is it worth chopping the main cola first and giving the rest of the plant another week?
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 20:58
Hi penguin, 80days since start of flower and really these plants should be long finished but they look like they have a long way to go yet. They are either re-vegging now or recovering from a re-veg and starting to flower again. What is your light cycle now? Is there any light getting into them during the dark period?

I dont think the day in natural light before they went into flower caused this, but i dont see a door on the cupboard they are in, i think light pollution may be stopping them from flowering properly. The dark period should be 12hrs long and uninterrupted.

After investing 120days in these, at this stage it might be an option to harvest these now, cut your losses and start some new seeds.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
420couple View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote 420couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:47
wow, what a beautiful hairy ladies you got there! look's good! we are also just about to go into flowering and concerned about nor having light leakage in the 12 hours uninterrupted dark period since we are growing in a greenhouse which is inside our livingroom. greenthings, 420c
Penguin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 17:57
Hmm, yes, there may be the slightest amount of extra light for an hour or two at night through the crack in the door. But it does have a door. I can see the grow light through the crack around the edge of the door, but only faintly, so I assume light is going the other way in the evening and early morning (light is on 12/12 9am-9pm).

I knew it wasn't ideal and I can take measures to prevent it next time. I guess I hoped the small amount of light would not really have such a huge effect! Ah, balls.

Purely from observation - both plants seem to have developed at a steady rate, just very slowly..?!

I am happy to give them a longer to do their thing; I guess I hoping to see at least some amber trichomes appear before making the cut!

Not doubting the fact night time light pollution is adverse - I was just wondering about the light pollution in the wild/naturally - would the moon not cast enough light to count against the 'total blackout being absolutely necessary' theory?

Thanks again!

Penguin
x
Penguin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 18:00
420c - I am also growing in the living room, but as a house-plant!
Not the same as a proper grow in your living room, but an attempt none-the-less. She is a Rudalaris Indica strain that just sits there and happily grows and flowers regardless of light cycles (APPARENTLY!)
She is looking good so far, hardly any bulk but flowering and she is very pretty little plant to have in the lounge!
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 18:56
Hi penguin, if you're going to finish them you need to take care of those light leaks. Maybe a heavy curtain that you can pull across when you close the door will do the trick and put the light on a timer. They should revert to full flowering and finish up for you. If you take the plants out, tun off the light and get into the cupboard you will see how much light is getting in.

Outdoors the moon light won't disrupt flowering but street lights, security lights etc will prevent the plant flowering.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:20
nice plants. Ive grown 2 ruderalis before, (both turned hermie real easy)

my $0.02

your curling leaves seem worrying. Im planning on using coco in a month or so (for the first time). Ive read a similar post on another forum where the grower forgot to flush his coco to get rid of the salts. It was inhibiting his grow and a flush during growing helped rejuvenate his plants.

secondly, check your pH. An out of range or borderline pH will also exhibit slow growth.

Thirdly, the curling deformed growth could be a symptom of Mg or Ca def.

neem oil for th gnats.

hope his helps.
Penguin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 16:46
Great advice Alecy, thank you!
Big curtain it is, try and get them to finish, but I know now that if I have to I will finish up early.

I will apply the advice from Blackmore too - brilliant, thank you!

I will double check the pH (it was borderline and I have been lax at checking), give the girls a flush over the next couple of days and then see where we are at the end of the week.

Obviously I'll be gutted not to get anything substantial out of this grow, but it's my first one and I have really enjoyed it and I am learning all the time, so it's not a totally wasted exercise whatever happens.

I'll do a search for the best way to check nutrient levels too, see if I have a deficiency there.

Thanks again chaps(eses?) Excellent stuff!

Penguin
x
Penguin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 12:05
hi guys n girls,

I have trimmed the top cola after a few days flushing, close inspection and a 'quick dry' after hanging for a day or two proves that these girls really haven't got started converting the base acids to THC etc (to paraphrase the process badly).

a nice smooth smoke and tasted fine, but minimal effect.

the bottom half of the plants will get another week or so without light leaks etc. Maybe we'll get something more useful then.

Nutrient levels and pH do seem to be balanced too.

thanks for all the help

Penguin
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 00:06
i may be the only one willing to tell you, that whatever happened, your buds look like shit and you should probably start over and stop wasting time on these ladies that have clearly been through hell. you haven't failed, this is just 1 data point. actually 2 or 3 if you critically think about what you've done wrong
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
 Post Reply Post Reply