Sensi Skunk#1 (Fem) / Hand Watered Coco / CFL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 22:57
Originally posted by 1966

Lookin good so far Grow4.
... was just wandering how high above the seedlings you have your lights.

Hi 1966, I just sent you a PM.

I don't like to blast them too early (more because of heat than anything) - even with CFLs. They are only 4- 5 days since emerging from the medium, and the runt (bottom right in the above group picture) has only just put out its first 'true' leaves.
As it happens, I have just lowered the light (just one 200W at the mo) from approx 80cms to about 30cms above the tallest seedling - with extraction at max. I'm a cautious grower, and I don't want to 'cook' them. **This proved to be a mistake, should have been 50cms - see later update**
Should add that the tent is in a room that has hot water pipes running under the floor - that I cannot control - and ambient temps can be quite warm anyway.

I think there is little to be gained by throwing more light energy at them than they can actually use (with such small leaves) at this stage - although I'm keen to prevent stretch right from the start. Clones on the other hand have the advantage of more leaf area so can use the light right from the start.

I'm going to have a go at cloning from these when their they're bigger. Seedlings make me nervous - such fragile little beggars %3c3c3cmile

Hope that helps. Although I have some experience, I don't claim to be an expert on anything - but if I can help a fellow grower along the way, I'm more than happy to give it a go.

I will be posting update and new pics tomorrow hopefully  - real-life permitting %3c3c3cink

e2a
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 23:21
Originally posted by RiffsAndSpliffs

Really looking forward to seeing how your plants are doing, as I just ordered a 10-pack of Regular Skunk #1 seeds.

So far so good, I'd say! Yours seem to be loving the coco mix.

Thanks Riffs. As I say, I hope to post update with pics tomorrow (Tues) evening. I'd like to fully document the grow for the benfit of others - but don't want to over-do it with the 'baby' snaps %3cink

My experience (for what its worth) is that though 'mary-jane' does love being in coco, I do have to be careful in the root formation stages not to overwater. Best bit about coco for me is that when the root-zone has developed, you literally cannot over-water them - then you can run them (like hydro) with run-off.

I'd be interested to see how your skunk #1 regulars go, I only use feminised seeds to maximise space efficiency. Have heard it said that regulars get better pheno consistency -- but I'm straying out of my 'comfort zone' with that one %3cig%20smile

RiffsAndSpliffs View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote RiffsAndSpliffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 01:45
That's exactly why I'm going with the Regulars, just looking for a little variation in the phenotypes. It's also a good way to find a good mother plant.Everything from seed always grows faster too, it's going to be nice not having a crop of clones to take root for a month for once! I did get a hermie from a feminized seed pack, though it wasn't from Sensi. I'd rather grow regular seeds from here out.

I put a coco layer on top of my dirt in flower to act as a mulch. I water religiously every other day a gallon in each pot, but you can judge if they need to be watered because the coco usually turns a light tan color when it's dried out. You can even scrape a tiny amount away to see how far down it goes, though I wouldn't recommend doing that with seedlings.
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 01:22
Sorry, this update was delayed - life got a bit hectic this week - but managed to get a few pictures of them today.

Today (7-Mar-2013) is roughly 4 days since they all got their first true leaves. The seedlings seem to be doing fine - except for the 'runt' of the litter %3cmile
All they've had since last time is a very light occasional watering with nutrients added according to the schedule produced on the Canna website:
  • Coco A+B - 1.5ml per litre
  • Rhizotonic - 4ml per litre
They are allowed to get fairly dry between waterings at the moment.

I had a look underneath the pots today and there are tiny roots beginning to emerge from the drainage holes of all of them - except for, naturally, the runt.

Temperatures are stable at 20-25°C

Incidentally, a couple of days ago we hit a fairly mild weather-spell, and temperatures went up. I had to move the lamp a bit further away - approx 50cm - from the leaf tips for fear that they would be cooked. Since which, temperatures have been fine.

Anyways, it's time for some photos.
First, one of the four healthy seedlings in close-up:

And, now, the poor litle 'runt':

And, finally, a group shot:

Anyway that's it for now.

Any questions, suggestions, comments welcome.
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 22:11
Hi everyone.

Today (14-Mar-2013) is roughly 11 days since they began vegging. They are all coming along, except for the one you already know about. They are still only getting light waterings of the nutrient solution for now.

This picture is actually from two days ago, and is not a brilliant snap - they were not as pale green as they may look in this photo:

Anyway I think they'll be repotted soon. Below are some photos (taken about an hour ago) of the root-zones on two of the plants. First up is the strongest growing of the Skunks:

...and, for comparison, the weakest plant of the set:

Well, that's about it for now %3c3cig%3c3c

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 23:23
Looking good man, the little one should catch up shortly, as it's smaller than the others it won't need watering as often, it will probably need an extra day or two to dry out a bit. In the previous pics the leaves are quiet droopy and in this one, yellow tips on the leaves, both signs of over watering.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 23:56
Thanks for dropping by alecky - and thanks for the help. I agree. I noticed how damp it was when I was checking the roots. I'll be sure to let the coco dry-out a bit. %3chumbs%20Up
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote RiffsAndSpliffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 00:04
I agree - they look nice! Can't wait to see the different phenotypes. Hurry up little guys (or girls!) %3cool
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:21
A Quick Update:

Yesterday (17-Mar-2013) - Day 20 of root development / vegging - I re-checked the roots and determined it was time to repot the 4 most advanced young plants. No other changes to note at this time. The small one (not pictured here) is still recovering from early root damage - and will also be repotted when ready.

Just one photo for the album today:

%3cig%3c
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:26
Originally posted by RiffsAndSpliffs

I agree - they look nice! Can't wait to see the different phenotypes. Hurry up little guys (or girls!) %3c3cool

Thanks, Riffs. I have told them to get on with it - but they just sit there and look at me like I'm some kind of obsessive stoner. They may be right. %3cig%20smile

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote RiffsAndSpliffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 21:48
I'm right behind you! I just got my seeds two days ago, and I've just put them in the paper towels. I just posted that thread as well.

I can't wait to see your updates as they come, and compare your Skunk #1 phenotypes to mine. %3cool
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 04:56
Nice and healthy looking seedlings you have there Grow4Life. Things should start moving fairly quickly now they have a few leaves. :)
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:25
Hi. First, sorry about the delay in updating this diary. My life turned upside down for a few weeks there *sigh* (financial and all sorts of worries that I'm not going to bore you with here).

The plants are still in veg. They have suffered a bit during this period because of my distractions - mainly through missed feedings, over feeding etc. My bad.

Full update with pics to follow shortly...
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:42
Today (02-Apr-2013) - Day 30 of vegging - now under 2x 250W 'blue' CFLs (and have been for about a week now).

Well, as I say, I haven't been looking after them too well of late. There have been some issues with high-temperatures (around 30C at times) and 'inappropriate' watering.

However, although some of the lower leaves don't look that great, the upper canopy leaves are developing well. The plants have also rooted-out well, and I'm going to repot them again soon - they are now on a water-to-waste regime (they are still allowed to dry somewhat between waterings, though not too much).

A couple of days ago the plants (all but the small one - number 3 in photos) all got topped. The small one is progressing but will never catch-up with the others.

I don't intend letting these get very tall, before putting them into flower - the grow tent has limited headroom and all plants tend to stretch more under CFLs.

I intend taking some of the side-shoots to set as clones later, when they're big enough. Have only cloned once before (with Clonex) and was impressed, so I'm going to have another go to see what happens and gain experience.

Photos next>>
Grow4Life View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Grow4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 16:57
Here are some photos from today - the numbers refer to each individual plant. If you want to talk about, or request a photo of, a particular plant just use the number to identify which one you mean.

That's all for now %3c3cig%3c3c
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>