SS northern lights #5 x Haze grow diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS northern lights #5 x Haze grow diary
    Posted: 23 October 2012 at 15:31
Seed received,
germinated in tissue in 15 hours
will be potted tonight.

Pictures to follow..
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 13:15
Many thanks Sensi, I received my 3 feminised NL #5 only a few days after ordering them. I was very impressed with the packaging, looks well snazzy!

I have a slight dilemma due to the size these things can grow too. I have two phases of my lasts White Russian still in the 12/12 room. 2 plants will be coming out in about 20 days, that will leave 2 more still in there for there last 30 from that point.

My thinking was germinate now, and have some young NL ready to go in in 20 days when the 2 finished are ready to come out. Then it will be a case of juggling the last two and the NL (as it grows) for 30 days till the last of the WR comes out.

I germinated 2 of them in my grow room. It sits about 29c quite constantly. I did the wet paper towel and two plates trick. Too my pleasant shock, the root was a few mm out after only 17 hours in there.
I moved then to small pots containing a bat-mix based soil. I was hoping too see some plant penetration today, alas, no such luck.

Does any one have an idea of the growth rate of the NL#5 within its first 30 days of 12/12. My WR should be about 90cm when the NL goes in. I would think the NL will be about 10-15cm at the switch over point.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 14:57
hey man,

nice choice!
you got NL #5 x Haze and not just NL #5! and that is quite different.
as the description states, these are opposite strain.
but from the grows i saw on the net (i haven't grown this strain myself), you can expect a big stretch in flowering as this strain leans a lot towards its sativa-haze heritage.
do some research, but if i were you i would flower these plants very young.
as young as 7-15 days maybe...
i suggest you change the topic with the right strain name btw.
:-)

best,
al.
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 18:00
Hi Alsc,
Thanks for dropping by. Any ideas on how too change the topic?
organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 18:53
Originally posted by abbmacher

Hi Alsc,
Thanks for dropping by. Any ideas on how too change the topic?

Hi,

You'll need to edit the first post to change the thread title
"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender
nl5xhaze View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote nl5xhaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 10:15
Growing one of these babies myself.

There is a thread in the same forum as this with a couple of pics.

I popped her into flower when she was only small, not ten inches and she's now 32 inches tall, she's in a tent on a Wilma recirculating system and she could get taller but she's putting all her effort into flower production now though there was a time when she was growing an inch or two a day I thought I might have to top her.

This is my first go though so a more skilled grower would have put her through the learning curve stress I did but I'm still happy with her and the few small select folks who's seen her says she's lovely.

Good luck with her, I'm sure you'll have a very rewarding time with her!
I claim no man, woman nor commercial entity has the right to dictate to another what they can and can't grow or consume as consenting adults under their own free will.
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 13:32
Hi nl5xhaze, thanks for dropping by. How long did you veg the ladies for and how long have they been in 12/12? have they stopped stretching now?

Mine have just popped through the soil....

Happy daze.....
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 13:40
Here are the new NL#5xhaze, just popped through the soil 2 days ago. So far all looks good.

Below is where they will be heading once the two White Russian ladies, on the left and right come down in about 10 days.

I hope there will be enough room as the other 2 WR need about a month to finish flowering.
Not sure about the growth rate of these NL plants in the first month of flowering.

abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 11:19
Does anyone have any firm ideas on how early can a seedling be topped?
I want top the NL#5xH but dot want to resist stunting or hurting them. At the same time, I would like to get it done as soon as possible.
Can any one help? Would I be foolish too top then as soon as the 2nd set of leaves appear?   
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 11:39
I'd wait a little longer. Maybe after the 3rd or 4th pair of true leaves. Topping shouldn't hurt them at this stage (if done very carefully), but one doesn't necessarily want to split the plant's main stem so close to the ground, especially a tall, heavy strain like NL#5xHaze.

It depends what's going to happen the plants - are they becoming mother plants? Will they be flowered? If so, at what size are they likely to finish?

If seedlings are going to become medium-to-large plants (flowering or mothers) , then it's usually better to make the first stem division  a little higher on the plant, rather than right at the base.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 13:11
Many thanks Ganja, I appreciate you r prompt advice. I will leave them well alone until I have a few more sets of leaves.
Just a quick question. On my other flowering plants, I have what looks like and tastes like salt forming on some of the top fan leaves.
I have read a lot about salt build up in the root mass, but never on the leaves. I have never foliar fed them so it can't be due to that.
I am baffled.
I did a pot flush on the plant a few weeks ago when it looked like i was suffering from a deficiency. I suspect this may have been caused by a layer of sand I had on top of the soil. This was due to a bug problem I had with the flies laying there eggs in the soil. the sand did the trick and stopped the breeding cycle. However, I did some more reading and found that a layer of top sand can scrub the water of a lot of nutrients that it held before reaching the soil. This would make sense as to what I saw as, there was a calcium/salt layer forming on top of the sand. Anyway when I flushed the plant, I also removed the sand and replaced it with fresh soil. this was weeks ago.
Now I have this salty formation on some of the upper leaves.

Sorry was not such a quick question after all...
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 16:19
Ok, I said salt, am having a change of heart.
I started feeding them with 5ltr spring water from my local super market. I just checked and there seems to be 25mg/ltr of Bicarbonate of soda in the water. Would this travel through the plant and be ex foliated on the leaf mater???
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 14:29
strange! i don't have a clue of what could have caused it also because we could use a photo to judge this problem.
why are you using spring water?
that's a lot of bicarbonate of soda...

good luck with this man.
best, al.
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 16:54
Hi alsc, Thaks for having a look. I thought natural spring water (as it's sold) would be better with regards to minerals and less chemicals used to clean in. maybe not, I have gone back to tap water thats been left outdoors for a few days.
I will try and get some pictures tonight..
abbmacher View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote abbmacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 17:00
Here is the crystalline formation I was talking about above. Sorry the pictures are not the best, I hope for a camera upgrade soon

The buds seem too be forming ok. They are in there last week of flowering. Then I hope too have the NL#5xH about ready to fill the void.

And here are my newest babies. So far doing OK, 1 of the stems looks quite spindly compared too the other, but I am not worrying about it just yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>