250W CFL vs 250W HPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johnmatrix View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250W CFL vs 250W HPS
    Posted: 19 October 2012 at 13:42
Hi,
i am currently growing under 250W CFl 2700k. Some of you told me if i change cfl to hps it will improve yield.I will have some extra cash next week and was wondering does changing 250W CFL to 250W HPS will improve yield?
If yes please tell me what should I looking for i mean what lamp, reflector and ballast. I want to spend as low as possible and buy in UK.
So far i know that should go with digital ballast's which are more efficient than magnetic, please correct me if im wrong.
Would this ballast be ok for my needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Hydro-Digital-Dimmable-Ballast/dp/B007PV4P44

The other thing is do i have to change the reflector?  My reflector has ceramic light fitting E40, some holes on the top and standard cable with 13A fuse.

Size:
50cm/l and 40cm/w

Please refer to the actual picture:
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/2447a74977cc90e3.html
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/fc812a604c0737ce.html

I am growing in Secret Jardin DS2 90x90x180
RVK Fan and Rhino Filter, passive intake
4-6 lowryder plants

Thanks in advance
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 14:19
the blue's are most important during vegetative growth. the presence of some blue spectrum light during flowering can keep stretching down and, some claim, make your buds more psychoactive
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 14:30
Sorry i changed the post :)
I decided to go with hps instead of adding more CFL's
Sorry for confusing ;)
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 16:25
250w CFl vs 250 hps ....yes your gonna get a bigger yield from the HPS
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 18:16
Ok, thanks but i need more deitls before i do it ;)
I found some information about the ballast and is not recommended to use 250W bulb with 400W ballast so do i have to buy 250W ballast for 250W bulb? Is any ballast i can switch from 250-400W? I don't know if i need 400W.
couchlockd View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 18:49
if you space will permit the extra light, and you can evacuate the extra heat. go HPS, and for that matter, if you can upgrade to a 400 watt e/digital ballast do it. you can run both MH/ and HPS on those. you can eliminate a "limiting factor" more by going to 400w lighting.

the 250 and 400 watt ballast should be soo close in price or even equal in price its a no brainer granted you can remove the extra heat.
skfblues View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote skfblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 12:02
i have an ecolux digital ballast, i can switch from 300-450-600, i am using a 600 grolux bulb. I am told that the digital ballast uses less power but this is the first grow with it so i haven't had the bill yet.
I am thinking of looking at the LED lights next, pricey but cheap to run.
ganphati
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 17:49
Ok i have contacted some manufacture and they advised that 400W ballast should only be used with 400W bulb otherwise it may damage the lamp or whole system. Safety first ;) I don't want to burn the house.
So the best solution is to buy switchable ballast like yours.
How much did you pay for it? Where did you ordered?
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 18:07
if you want a decent light order from growell go for the budget hobby system, ballast hood and bulb, i think the 250wtt is £50 cheap as chips but excellent quality i been running multiple 600s for 4yrs with no problems at all and have recently purchased a 250hps for vegging very very happy with these cheap systems
ANDWHAT
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 21:57
whay you are calling a switchable ballast is not correct. the digital ballasts that "dim" a particular wattage light, are dimmable ballasts.

they will dim either a 400 or 600 etc to 75% 50% or something of that natuture.

there are a few ballasts such as the galaxy "selet-a-watt" which will let you power different wattage bulbs.

all electronic/dimmable ballasts will run either HPS or MH lamps.
http://www.growlightexpress.com/grow-light-ballasts-3/1000-watt-ballasts-14/galaxy-select-a-watt-400-600-1000-ballast-1062.html

thats the galaxy

here is the most badass digital ballast out there yet. it is made by hortilux, and assembled in usa using japanese parts.  (japs make the best as far as "china vs japan vs america" debate but it is only avail in 1000 watt models so far. they run at 75 hertz or so

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 12:05
ehi johnny,

that is true only if you use an anolog ballast or a non dimmable one.
for instance, i have a digital dimmable ballast from lumatek and it can work with 175W 250W and 250 "super lumens" which should be around 300W. (you can use it both with HPS and MH as couchlockd says).
i am experiencing a better performance with the digital ballast, i am sure it is much more energy-efficient than the analog i use to have which only lasted one year.

my advice is go for the HPS! if you can spend a little more money get a digital ballast, dimmable if you think you gonna use different wattages. also, i use a 250W sylvania growlux bulb which is dual spectrum: you can use it to veg as well.
for instance you could do the first vegetative part with the CFL that switch to the HPS dual spectrum for the second part of vegetative and then you flip the lights to 12/12 and use the same light to flower.

good luck!
best, al.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 21:54
sir, alsc.

lets clear up a few things about what you said.  while you have a 250 watt lumatek. which is dimmable. it is not advisable to use any other wattage bulb in it. the way they are dimmed is with a "potentiometer"  (commonly used in knob style car stereo's)  which is just a type of circuit that produces resistance much like the transformer in a coil and core ballast. (it produced resistance to even out the circuit, or limit the circuit, in simple as i can think of lay terms)

for a while lumatek did have a select a watt style ballast that could use different wattage bulbs, they discontinued it due to bulbs being ruined much quicker than lumateks usually ruin bulbs.

if you do have a ballast with the super charge feature, i strongly state "DO NOT USE SUCH A FEATURE" as it just boosts the cycle rate even more than the normal 25k cycles a second to produce a "more excited" state for the gases in the bulb. this is the resonance that is the hidden killer of bulbs in digital ballasts.

while you may get brighter for a while with the super lumens. the next time you fire that bulb up normally i suggest you use a light meter and see how hard of a hit your bubl took.

although i have a few dimmable, and select a wat style ballasts, i use them as straight forward HPS/MH ballast and never dim or super charge my lamps (i use hortilux exclusively and in the 600 watt flavor, bulbs are too damned expenxive to play games with)

also sylvania grolux is NOT a DUAL SPECTRUM,  market hype is the worst thing for new growers. all that bulb is, is a enhanced blue spectrum HPS bulb. nothing more. it has a color temp of 3300K ish give o0r take where the super blue MH bulbs have 5500-7200K temp and regular HPS bulbs have 2500-2700K temp, and super red MH bulbs have 3000K  temps.

30% more blue sodium bulb. there are two ends of this spectrum (no pun) there are super red HPS, and super red MH, and super blue HPS and super blue MH

plain jane Horticultural HPS grow bulb = sylvania grolux.

while i am not talking trash on the grolux, in fact it is one of the better bulbs out there, it just is not dual spectrum. a dual spectrum bulb is something like this

there is a true dual spectrum lamp, it is a 600 watt Hortilux Super red HPS arc tube, coupled with a 400 wat Hortilux SUper blue MH arc tube, made to fire on Mag/core HPS ballast, or a digital 1000watt ballast.

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 15:13
hey man, thanks for your precious information!

i am kind of a country guy: i try to understand well what kind gears i buy but i am always more focused in real growing (i know that's part part of the process... i'm just not interested how a lamp works... i know i should maybe:-) ).
i am new in growing cannabis, but i have grown a lot, different stuff from melons to tomatoes, thanks to some relatives who did that for living. :-)

where i live growing weed is still very out of law. you could get more than 5 years for a couple of plants.
therefore i avoid buying thru the net (some people got caught this way) and rely only in a grow shop close from where i live.
all the techinical information (most of it) i got from them.
if what you say it's true i haven't made such great choices, but so it goes. :-)
still for me it is much better to rely on these guys from the grow shop since they helped me with many techinical issues.
of course i used the lumatek ballast with the superlumens on! :-) no other bulbs luckly
now i hope what you say won't be true...
actually i never used the hps in veg... i was planning to do... i should get a white bulb it's easier and bulbs are one of the cheapest thing in this damn grow equipment! :-)
i wanted a normal hps bulb but the guy insisted "get this you can veg as well with this... you won't regret..."

apart from this stuff i must say i am very happy with the lumatek thing: extremely quiet and my bills are a little nicer :-) but the other one i got was very old fashioned! that thing really scared me!

talk later, thanks man. best, al.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 20:33
oh nothing wrong with lumatek, you probably run 240v correct? when that happens the ballast perform a little more reliable.

i live in the states, and in a NON medical state at that, and i can get feder mandatory miniums of 10 years no parole for 99 plants or more. or 1000 grams or more, and when they bust you down here, they weight the whole wet plant roots and all. or they cut the branches apart and count each one as a "seperate plant"

so im not just cruising easy street either. but what i have found and every one will or should back this up (in the states at least) hydro shop guys dont know dick usually.

just like gun shop guys. they dont know jack shit either.

i live and breathe this and am a licensed electrician. i will try to be as helpfull as i can. 

I HAVE ONE MOTIVE FOR GROWING AND HELPING OTHERS------ TO OVERGROW ANY LAWS PROHIBITING THIS PLANT.  I WANT EVERY SINGLE PLANT GROWN BY THE ASPIRING GROWER TO FLORISH TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL AND MAKE FOLKS HAPPY AS CAN BE.

pm are fine, any questions are fine. i know i am new here, but im over decades old elsewhere. i was a OG forum member before it went down.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 19:28
thanks dude!
good to know you are an electrician... electrical shit always makes me crazy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>