super Skunk. a first grow. grow tent, CFL and LED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 20:04
Hello Billy.
It was not the air pots i was referring to as regards light getting at the roots but the transparent pot ak is growing in.
Have a good day.
Live and let live
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 00:09
So, indeed, looks like I created some confusion.

Yes, I was referring to the nylon pot.
So to summarize and align: 

Air pots : 
 Yep, the concept of roots reaching light is part of the reason for me to experiment the nylon pot.
I imagined that the same will happen in the nylon pot, when the roots reaching the sides of the pot, 'enlightened', and seize.
Apparently as u can see in the pictures I posted, the behaviors is different. The roots reached the side, changed direction downwards, and continued developing. The encounter with the light by itself was not enought.

I now understand the structure of the air pot - when a root goes into one of the airways, it simply can not turn. It must seize there.

not holding water - being a benefit.... Well, yes. Didn't think 'bout it this way.  But again - my comment was about the nylon stuff....  The air-pot is holding water very well.

Re-potting.
I didn't get this one...   I am simply starting with small pots.  1 to 2 L.   And about to move to bigger ones (10 L).
Is the fact that I'm transplanting from a 1L air-pot to a 10L air-pot, strange? Or maybe I did not understand the question Billy.

Have a quiet night all,

ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 00:34
Originally posted by 1966

Try and chillax and just continue to read up ask questions and you will be fine.
If a numbty like me can do it anyone can

Man, thanks a lot for the kind words :-)
Yes, I read your diary.... Aware of the challenges u took, for a first grow...   

My plans are to do topping.   I will probably skip cloning this time. The thing is that I'll need to travel for two weeks, as of next week. Work related.    Everything will be too stressed . I am going to leave instructions with my darling PY and monitor everything from the other side of the globe, but will try to keep it simple.

So I'll transplant this weekend.
Topping will wait till I'm back, plants will be around 35 days from germ.
I expect Switching to 12/12 will also take place then. I am limited in height, cause the tent is 1.5m.

Cheers.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 04:29
hey ak,
nice progresses here.
i am not a fan of messing around with roots and air, but try and we'll see! :-)

i should add that you can stop using rootjuice. it is a root stimulator to be used in the first week or so and once or twice after a transplant. biogrow until real flowers appear. then you add flowering nutes, but i'm sure you did your readings and know all this stuff. if you need some extra talk on biobizz products just let me know. :-)

you can top now if you want. these plant can be topped anytime, so hardy!
but: it is a good idea to let a plant recoved from topping or pruning. in other words, give 'em at least a week of vegging time after you top them before flipping lights. in this case if you plan to flip in 2 weeks and you'll be away, maybe it would be smart to top now. i mean, if i were you i would do that now! :-)

cheers and good luck,
al.
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 21:10
Thx Al. They look so small. Not much room to push in small scissors :)

They are 7CM high. Ill post some pics soon
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 23:22
7 CMs high for 19 days from germination.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 00:24
ok, they're still small babies! :-)
btw, very nice looking seedlings %3clap

so you have 2 options (it sounds like my life: i often travel for work.. 2, 3 days sometimes a week... so i do these kind of calculations all the time! :-):

1. top when you're back and maybe flip right away as what you said your plans are. in this case you top older plants but you give 'em no time to recover topping.

2. top now (IMO they're big enough... i topped at this same stage one of my PPP in june) and flip when you're back. young topped plants, but with enough time to recover.

actually you have another option which is not topping! i don't know if you did all this before: topping has its benefits but it is nice to see the top big&fat cola of not topped plants.
i don't think your yeld improves automatically if you just top.
topping brings more colas but usually smaller than the central cola of a normal plant... if you go around and ask, you'll see experienced growers will say they often have same yeld results with topping or without it.
it kind of depends, you know.
if you have a lot of space in width but not so much in height, then topping is a nice option: you gonna bend all side branches of the topped plant and let her have a nice open structure. on the opposite situation, i would have normal plants (such as clones in SOG or something smaller like that) and count on their big central colas.
if i were you (sorry i don't really know if you're e beginner or you do have some indoor growing experience) i would top maybe one plant and let the others do their thing and see what happens! :-)
i know it is so intriguing to do something for a plant and see the result of the plant's redistribution of hormone which will lead in the formation of 2 colas instead of the top main one! :-)
if you don't have so much width space (as i do) it is nice to have normal plants and maybe take cuttings from lower branches which -in a situation of a small space packed with plants- will eventually lack light and suffer and not give so much bud. then if you cut lower branches to make clones, you turn these unproductive parts to new plants and have a better air circulation in the "mothers".

sorry i wrote too much!
al.

ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 15:05
Thank you Al....  please write... more is better :-)
First it striked me that your suggestion is really the right way to go (I'm sure I would have thought about it myself LOL)  - do one and keep the other as is...
Still my grow tent is 1.5M high, so I am limited a bit.... that was my main reason (also for flipping early).
I am a begginer with Cannabis. 1st grow... other vegtebles I just sow in quantity on my window edge and keep watering.... certainly can not compare it to this operation ! :-)

bout the babies... my concern is that they grow to this height more than a week ago.
then all these pair of leaves are comming out - but with almost no grow in height... and the leaves are very close to one another....   I am simply comparing to other pics.... I would expected them to be better spread, and a bit higher... no?
I am feeding every ~3 days (with bio grow - should I do once in a while water only?)
Leaves looks fine .... a small fan is working - ussually at the same time the 120CFL is working.  I think lately I took the CFL too high.... today I lowered it back to 9 CMs from the tops....
we'll see :-)

keep well

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 18:10
i grow in a 160 cm high tent... almost same as you.
it can be a problem if you don't pay attention to that, but i am sure you are. :-)
you got it right: flipping as early as 4-5 weeks old plants is important to keep them short.

i think you're gonna be just fine with superskunk. you'll see the biggest changes in the first 4 weeks of flowering, when they will stretch a lot (sometimes several centimeters a day!).
this is to say that topping isn't the only way to deal with height problems: you could bend normal plant as well, there are several easy to elaborate training techniques... f.ex. check out LST (low stress training) which works best if the plant isn't topped.

i would need a picture to see if your plants really have some problems... in the last pics  they looked preatty healty... if your enviromental conditions are good (RH, temp, air circulation) and you are providing the right amount of water, they should be fine i think.
remember: the best way to know when your plants need to be watered is by feeling. when the pot has lost 2/3 of its saturated weight, then the plant has used most of the water you gave her and it's time to water again. also, let always some water come out from the runoff holes and after empty the tray.
you'll see that different plants of the same strain will show different needs about how much water and how often.
about nutes: with biobizz you could fert at every watering, but i think it's a good idea to let the plant rest and use the stored up nutrients in the soil... i sometimes follow a schedule of water-nutes-nutes... but it kind of depends... the plant will tell you anyway!

best, al.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 12:36
read now about the cfl distance: i use to keep that light closer, even at about 2-3 cms from plants. i use a 200W cfl (6400 °K) to veg. the closer the better!
i think plants can handle such a close light and the cfl emits very very low heat.
try that, but while close monitoring everything: if you see a small light burn move the light further. the only time i had a light burn was when the light touched a plant which i haven't checked for a day and a half and she grew until the bulb!
i think the benefits of closer light (more lumens) are much more than the risk of a small light burn.

ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 16:53

Day 22 – Repotting

I sure hope the girls will forgive my abuse today… %3cuch

Yesterday (day21)  I watered (water only) – it was 3 days after my previous feed.

Checked the bottom of #3 and #5,   both showed roots tips.

#4 already showed lots of roots along the sides of the nylon pot already few days back.

This, together with the slowness of growth. made me decide on repotting, and perhaps this was due already few days before.

#5 moved from a 0.7L pot to a 3L.  (#5 is 19 days old).

She was turned upside down, squeezed on the sides and the bottom of the pot. came out nicely, holding the coco-mix together, put in the new home. nothing major.

#3 moved from a 1L airport to a  4L pot.

This started even easier….  Placed the airport inside the new pot, then opened the screw, and unfolded the airport out… easy stuff and I assume more relaxed.

#3 was also holding her mix nicely.

only sh-t is that I forgot the bottom of it inside the new pot and realized it only after I finished repacking the new pot completely. Damm!

I suppose the roots will continue to grow through it (it’s really more spacy holes then plastic) and I decided against recovering it %3cot%20smoki%3cg

#4 (poor #4) moved from a 2L nylon pot to a  6L pot.

So she is the one with the nylon bag.   It also started quite will. I placed the nylon bag inside the new pot , and used scissors to cut vertically into the bag.

the mix was holding good, I released everything from the sides and then lifted it a bit to release the bottom.

Alas…. roots grow through the perforation at the bottom of the bag….  several of them were disconnected when I took it out.  see pic.  I hope she will survive it.

So here are the girls in their new homes, sprayed, and still trying to guess what the hell happened to them….

and now I suppose I see some stress signs?  for how long usually?

Thanks all for the support,
AK.
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 16:57
Originally posted by alsc

read now about the cfl distance: i use to keep that light closer, even at about 2-3 cms from plants.

Thanks!  Lowered the same.
Still debating bout the topping, will probably do one tmo, just before I travel.

ak
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 17:22
Already thinking about next steps...
I read about LST (thanks Al)... read different opinios and wandered if anyone has actual ( and good ) experience with it.

I could do one LST, one topping, and keep one as is.... however.  they will not be growing to the same height which means I'll have to have seperate lights each working close to the canopy of each of the plants...     More stuff i'll to think about over the night %3ceek
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 14:18
hey ak,
good job with the reppoting.
i see a lil' too much water drops on the leaves... remember if you spray with lights on and leave all these drops on the leaves it can light burn them. how is your RH (relative humidity)?
you could stop spraying now.

as your first grow my suggestion could be to just let them grow with no topping nor lst, see how they would grow by themselves.
(about LST: i've done it with a plant on my balcony. works just fine, check out some videos on the net).
but then if you want to experiment, just go for it. if you have to deal with different heights, just raise the pots which need to be raised to get an even canopy. i normally use boxes under pots to raise them, very easy.
i don't understand what you say with "separate lights" but if you mean to add another light in there, be careful.
how big is the space you're growing? if it's just a 90x90x150 tent (centimeters), then i would suggest not to. lights bring in a ot of heat.
you're using a cfl right? how strong is it?

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 14:22
btw, repotting is not so stressfull for plants.
your seedlings are healty and i don't think you gonna see some signs of stress. you gonna see a lot bigger plants preatty soon due to the bigger space they have.
3 or 4 liters pots are still too small IMO. you could finish with 6,5 pots or something like that. that's the minimum size IMO. i finish in 11 liters pots. last time i even used a 22 liters one and got a monster plant (but with a lot of bending work!).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>